HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Should Islanders Go After Ovy?

Old
02-05-2013, 08:05 PM
rangers5000

vCash: 500
Should Islanders Go After Ovy?

before you think it will never happen, the guy is obviously not working with the caps, the contract alone is a giant one, one would think even if they don't get what they want in return just ridding themselves of that contract and getting 4-5 prospects/picks would be a win for them

islanders have more than enough cap room to get ovy and still keep there core in tack

this gives the islanders the star they need to play with tavares, tavares had 81 points last year, ovy is still a 35 goal scorer playing at his worst, putting these two together would provide islanders some name power, a legit playoff team for years to come

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:06 PM
SeriousHabs

Yes they should, but he isn't moving. They should also go for Stamkos and Crosby. But they aren't moving.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:07 PM
dan1el

You're not getting Ovi without crippling your future IMO.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:08 PM
rangers5000

why not, caps obvious not liking that contract, there not making the playoffs, that core is approaching there 30's

either blow it up, or turn into the calgary flames

Old
02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Even if the caps want onto move Ovi, and even if the Isles can send them enough assets to get him, would NYI owner actually be willing to pay that contract?

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Even if the caps want onto move Ovi, and even if the Isles can send them enough assets to get him, would NYI owner actually be willing to pay that contract?
I suggest you take a look at Capgeek.com and see what kind of money the Isles pay for players.

*specifically Yashin

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Without even thinking about what it will take to acquire him (and no offense NYI fans) but I think things will get even worse for him if he gets traded there. Tavares is there but I can't see Ovechkin being too motivated to play for the Islanders.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
why not, caps obvious not liking that contract, there not making the playoffs, that core is approaching there 30's

either blow it up, or turn into the calgary flames
Where did you find out the Cap are "not liking that contract"?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:24 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I just need to take a stab at what'd it would take for the Isles to land Ovi. Just for argument's sake:

NYI gets:
Ovechkin
+$2mil/year paid by Washington on Ovi's contract (because Wang)

Wash gets:
NYI 1st round pick in '13
NYI 2nd round pick in '14
Ryan Strome
Calvin deHaan
Kyle Okposo

I'm probably off by a bit, and Ovechkin is slumping, but the guy would get a RIDICULOUS package for the Caps if they were to move him & eat a bit of salary. Name value + fan marketability + GM hoping he'd "revert to the old Ovi with a change of scenery" (the usual excuse) = a king's ransom.

*edit*
I'm not saying that's what Ovechkin is WORTH, I'm saying it's what someone would probably PAY in a bidding-war scenario.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:30 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

How does Ovechkin not have an NMC on this otherwise ridiculous contract?

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:32 PM
rangers5000

even if wang doesn't want to spend, he would be crazy not to get ovy

the guy could be a perfect fit with tavares, its scary to think of the damage they could do

not to mention less media attention, letting ovy be ovy

islanders would almost be a lock for the playoffs for a while, the money for those extra playoff games, his superstar status, even at 9.5 wang would be crazy not to trade for him

Old
02-05-2013, 08:33 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
It kicks in in 2014.

I think it's an age-related thing: SPC's can't have NTC/NMC's until the player reaches a certain age.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:35 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
It kicks in in 2014.

I think it's an age-related thing: SPC's can't have NTC/NMC's until the player reaches a certain age.
I know, but Crosby had one for this year and he was drafted later/had his rookie season the same year, so Ovechkin should be eligible.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:39 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Yeah, I always believed that Ovy was a hardcore Caps fan and that he really really really cared for that team!

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:43 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
before you think it will never happen, the guy is obviously not working with the caps, the contract alone is a giant one, one would think even if they don't get what they want in return just ridding themselves of that contract and getting 4-5 prospects/picks would be a win for them

islanders have more than enough cap room to get ovy and still keep there core in tack

this gives the islanders the star they need to play with tavares, tavares had 81 points last year, ovy is still a 35 goal scorer playing at his worst, putting these two together would provide islanders some name power, a legit playoff team for years to come

Yes. They should.

Of course this means ignoring how badly the Yashin and DiPietro longterm deals went, but I'm sure that won't be a deterent for Wang/Snow. Days before Jeff Carter was dealt, Botta wrote the isles were shopping their high lottery pick and wrote about Carter being a possibility. Botta wrote that the isles were turned off longterm contracts because of the Yashin/DiPietro deals. I'm sure Ovie's stats trending downward from 109 pts to 85 pts, to finally 65 pts, won't be a red flag at all.
Neither will Ovie's $9.5m per. All financially struggling franchises, want a struggling player, making almost $10m per season

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:44 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I just need to take a stab at what'd it would take for the Isles to land Ovi. Just for argument's sake:

NYI gets:
Ovechkin

Wash gets:
NYI 1st round pick in '13
NYI 2nd round pick in '14
Ryan Strome
Calvin deHaan
Kyle Okposo

I'm probably off by a bit, and Ovechkin is slumping, but the guy would get a RIDICULOUS package for the Caps if they were to move him & eat a bit of salary. Name value + fan marketability + GM hoping he'd "revert to the old Ovi with a change of scenery" (the usual excuse) = a king's ransom.

*edit*
I'm not saying that's what Ovechkin is WORTH, I'm saying it's what someone would probably PAY in a bidding-war scenario.

Why don't the isles toss in Hamonic?

Old
02-05-2013, 08:46 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
You're not getting Ovi without crippling your future IMO.
this

I love Ovie but if he cant score with Backtrom, he cant score with Tavares

It would take a large amount to land him

Id rather Isles go after Perry or Ryan...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Why don't the isles toss in Hamonic?
Hey, I fully admitted it was an overpayment.

I just think that at the end of the day, in an Ovechkin bidding-war among 15+ teams, the "winning bid" is going to be absolutely, "bend-over-this-barrel-and-show-me-your-arse" awful for the team that gets Ovi.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:49 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

NYI gets:
Ovechkin

Wash gets:
NYI 1st round pick in '13Mackinnon/Jones
NYI 2nd round pick in '14Ekblad/McDavid
Ryan Strome
Calvin deHaan
Kyle Okposo

*edit*

added to ur proposal

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:52 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Hey, I fully admitted it was an overpayment.

I just think that at the end of the day, in an Ovechkin bidding-war among 15+ teams, the "winning bid" is going to be absolutely, "bend-over-this-barrel-and-show-me-your-arse" awful for the team that gets Ovi.

There may be an Ovie bidding war, but it is pure fantasy to think the isles with their cap floor spending will be in the mix.

As a matter of fact, at $9.5m and with his steadily declining stats on the last 3 seasons, I don't even believe there would be 15+ teams in the bidding.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:54 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
added to ur proposal
Islanders are currently in a playoff spot... the only roster player leaving in the proposal is Okposo.

An Isles team + Ovie, when all they lose off the current roster is Okposo, is a sure-fire playoff team (considering they're already in a playoff spot in the East).

Their 1st rounder this year would probably be in the 15-21 range. So no McKinnon/Jones/Monahan-caliber player. The 1st rounder becomes devalued.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:56 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

There may be an Ovie bidding war, but it is pure fantasy to think the isles with their cap floor spending will be in the mix.

As a matter of fact, at $9.5m and with his steadily declining stats on the last 3 seasons, I don't even believe there would be 15+ teams in the bidding.
Eh, I'm thinking ahead, to when Wang has money as the owner of the "Brooklyn" NY Islanders. It's only 3 years away, right?

If the Isles were staying in Uniondale, then yeah, I'd agree: no way Ovechkin would ever end up in Long Island.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:05 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Eh, I'm thinking ahead, to when Wang has money as the owner of the "Brooklyn" NY Islanders. It's only 3 years away, right?

If the Isles were staying in Uniondale, then yeah, I'd agree: no way Ovechkin would ever end up in Long Island.

Doesn't matter when the isles move to Brooklyn. Ovie's not worth $9.5m when his stats are steadily declining:109 pts to 85 pts, then down to 65 pts.

Just because the isles have a bunch of promising prospects, doesn't mean Snow's going to morph into Milbury.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:05 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

If Ovechkin bounces back that deal is even given he still eats so much salary/cap. If he doesn't bounce back the Isles lose just on the cap/salary commitment, let alone all the other assets given up.

The isles aren't a contender this year, they can afford not to go all in. There could be a few good UFAs signing cheap, plus cap dumps and cheap trades this offseason - spend the money there and keep the assets.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Vancouver Canucks*

Caps would probably want Tavares

Tavares > Ovechkin

Vancouver Canucks* is offline   Reply With Quote