HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most Cups by non-stars?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
  #26
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 21,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Little known detail about Marcel Bonin - the collision with Goegan aggrvated a back injury first suffered wrestling a bear.
Oui. "L'ours' de Joliette". The Wrestling Bear of Joliette.... When Joe Louis retired from Boxing broke, he travelled around with a Circus and Referee'd a promotion whereby anyone who could pin a big brown bear (or mebbe a black bear) would win $1000. Marcel gave it a go but failed, trying many a time again thereafter, apparently getting to know the bear fairly well over the years.... The other interesting thing about Bonin was that he was a noted checker & digger followed by tape-tape passes, never a prolific goal scorer but for that 59 playoff run by the Habs. He actually claimed that once he hit 15 goals or so on a season, that was it. He started passing it off because if he hit 20 or 25, they'd expect that or more the next year.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
  #27
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,885
vCash: 500
Wrestling Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Oui. "L'ours' de Joliette". The Wrestling Bear of Joliette.... When Joe Louis retired from Boxing broke, he travelled around with a Circus and Referee'd a promotion whereby anyone who could pin a big brown bear (or mebbe a black bear) would win $1000. Marcel gave it a go but failed, trying many a time again thereafter, apparently getting to know the bear fairly well over the years.... The other interesting thing about Bonin was that he was a noted checker & digger followed by tape-tape passes, never a prolific goal scorer but for that 59 playoff run by the Habs. He actually claimed that once he hit 15 goals or so on a season, that was it. He started passing it off because if he hit 20 or 25, they'd expect that or more the next year.
Probaby a variety of bears over time.

The passing was bonus related. Once Bonin hit his goal scoring bonus there was no next level bonus but there was an assist bonus that could be attained. If he scored more, next years goal bonus would be higher.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:30 PM
  #28
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 21,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Probaby a variety of bears over time.
Perhaps C58. Never gave it much thought, though apparently Marcel used to chew & eat grass a fair amount as well, kinda like a cat I guess, keep the system cleaned out huh? At only 5'7" and playing at about 170lbs or so, one of the strongest players of that era which for the younger generations should help to put into perspective how far the game has come since then when considering size, and how little it mattered back then in comparison to heart, desire, strength & skill, artistry & just plain guts.... As for Bonin, became a noted Historian in Quebec post hockey career.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:31 PM
  #29
mobilus
Registered User
 
mobilus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: high slot
Posts: 595
vCash: 500
Gary Leeman with one Cup wins this.

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:01 PM
  #30
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,885
vCash: 500
Joliette Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Perhaps C58. Never gave it much thought, though apparently Marcel used to chew & eat grass a fair amount as well, kinda like a cat I guess, keep the system cleaned out huh? At only 5'7" and playing at about 170lbs or so, one of the strongest players of that era which for the younger generations should help to put into perspective how far the game has come since then when considering size, and how little it mattered back then in comparison to heart, desire, strength & skill, artistry & just plain guts.... As for Bonin, became a noted Historian in Quebec post hockey career.
The arena in his native Joliette is named after him. A couple of years ago he was active in his home town.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:54 PM
  #31
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 21,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
A couple of years ago he was active in his home town.
Bear Wrasslin?... he's 81 now, possibly
game, still seeking that elusive $1000 bill.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:16 PM
  #32
pnep
Registered User
 
pnep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Novosibirsk,Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
Worst players to win 2, 3, 4, or 5 cups?

pnep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:36 PM
  #33
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
I believe Aaron Ward has won 3 Cups.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:25 PM
  #34
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,885
vCash: 500
Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Bear Wrasslin?... he's 81 now, possibly
game, still seeking that elusive $1000 bill.
Today, Marcel would find a writing bear and go on the autograph circuit as a duo.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:49 PM
  #35
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Chris Dingman, with the Avs and the Lightning

15 career goals in 6 NHL seasons, 2 Cups
Came to post this.

Craig Adams is also a fine role player who did/does his job with the Penguins rather well but he has two Cups in his career.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:45 PM
  #36
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,587
vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
Best candidate for this that I can see on the Oilers is Dave Hunter. He was on the team for their first 3 cups. Not sure if he is far enough down the depth chart to qualify for this thread though.
pat hughes as well with oilers and habs

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:42 PM
  #37
eastcoaster
Registered User
 
eastcoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Pierre Bouchard won 5 cups in 8 years with Montreal. He was usually the fifth or sixth defenseman and if my memory is correct he would occasionally play some shifts as a forward.

eastcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:06 PM
  #38
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Claude Provost has the most Cups of any player not in the hall of fame with 9. He was a right winger on the Canadiens in the 50s & 60s, and was generally a checking 3rd liner behind Maurice Richard Geoffrion and, after each respected retirement, Bobby Rousseau and Cournoyer.

That said, he probably would have been a star in the 70s or 80s after expansion. He was probably just unluckily stuck behind two of the best players in history at his position in his prime. As it was, he still scored 254 goal and had 589 points in just over 1000 games.
Twice top 5 in the league in goalscoring (second one year tied with both Howe and Mahovlich) and twice top 10 in points, including 6th in 64-65 when he lead the Canadiens in points...makes you wonder why he is not in the Hall considering he was better known as a checker.

I don't think he fits the criteria.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:51 PM
  #39
Ofuzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post
Pierre Bouchard won 5 cups in 8 years with Montreal. He was usually the fifth or sixth defenseman and if my memory is correct he would occasionally play some shifts as a forward.
Pierre on a lot of occasions was actually the 4th defenseman with "The Big 3". He didn't get many points but he wasn't on the ice for many against either. Very solid Dman who Ken Dryden loved having him clear the rebounds. Too bad he's mostly remembered for the Johnathan fight.

Ofuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.