HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan's next contracts

Old
02-05-2013, 02:43 PM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
I expect McDonagh to make at least $4M. Probably closer to $5M though. He was, IMO, already a top-20 defender at the end of last year. Even if he shows no improvement this year, that is still a shut-down minutes eating defenseman. That said, if he sees his offensive numbers increase(which they probably will with an improved offense) I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for $5M per at the end of the year.

Honestly, if it comes to that I would do it from a NYR perspective. Outside of Lundqvist, he is the guy they can least afford to lose.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator

vCash: 1425
Why can't the Rangers offer McD a two-year contract? He'd still be an RFA when it expires, correct? Would they have to overpay the **** out of him to get him to accept that?

Glass from Girardi is practically a mathematical impossibility. I'm glad to have witnessed this great Rangers moment. -Bob Richards
I'd hate to know what the toilet facilities look like after a game with the way this team aims... -Megustaelhockey
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I expect McDonagh to make at least $4M. Probably closer to $5M though. He was, IMO, already a top-20 defender at the end of last year. Even if he shows no improvement this year, that is still a shut-down minutes eating defenseman. That said, if he sees his offensive numbers increase(which they probably will with an improved offense) I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for $5M per at the end of the year.

Honestly, if it comes to that I would do it from a NYR perspective. Outside of Lundqvist, he is the guy they can least afford to lose.
I recall a lot of people, including myself, saying the same thing about Staal. 4.5M-5M, long term deal. Sather signed him for under 4M. And Staal was just as superior, but has been doing it longer.

The more I think about it, without the offensive numbers picking up significantly, I don't think McD will get over 4M.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'd expect Stepan to get something similar to Callahan's bridge deal (2yr/$4.5M), and McDonagh to get something similar to Staal's second contract (5yr/$20MM).

As others have stated, the real key to McDonagh is his offensive production. If he can't manage a .5 PPG pace this season, I think it'll keep his value down considerably.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:00 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I recall a lot of people, including myself, saying the same thing about Staal. 4.5M-5M, long term deal. Sather signed him for under 4M. And Staal was just as superior, but has been doing it longer.

The more I think about it, without the offensive numbers picking up significantly, I don't think McD will get over 4M.
Assuming McDonagh doesn't see his offensive stats increase, but maintains his level of defensive play, I'd be shocked if Sather is able to sign him for under $4M per. Although considering he was able to get McD + for Gomez in the first place, maybe I shouldn't underestimate him...

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:06 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
  • Stepan signs in 2013 for 2 years for $2,5M per
  • McD signs in 2013 for 4-5 years for $4,3M per
  • Hagelin signs in 2013 for 2 years for $2M per
  • Kreider signs in 2014 for 2 years for $2,4M per

OK?
Seems right on line with the rest... about 400k more than they should get per season.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:07 PM
FrolikFan67

what would the rangers want for gaborik in the off-season? picks and top prospects? assuming they wouldnt want too much salary coming back.

FLA: 1st in '13 (pick 7-14) + Shore/Goc + Howden

the pick would be assuming mackinnon, jones, drouin, barkov, monahan, and lindholm are all selected. would that be anywhere near close? throw in a 2nd in '14 too if needed. would love to have gaborik.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:09 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
what would the rangers want for gaborik in the off-season? picks and top prospects? assuming they wouldnt want too much salary coming back.

FLA: 1st in '13 (pick 7-14) + Shore/Goc + Howden

the pick would be assuming mackinnon, jones, drouin, barkov, monahan, and lindholm are all selected. would that be anywhere near close? throw in a 2nd in '14 too if needed. would love to have gaborik.
It's Sather, so he won't be cheap.
IF they traded Gaborik (it would mean 2 of Kreider, Miller, Hagelin really produced offensively) you'd have to upgrade your pieces. Think McDonagh (prospect with upside filling hole) - Higgins (2/3 liner fitting team concept) + pick type of deal.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
KaraLupin
카라

McDonagh: 4.5
Stepan: 3.5

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
this should also mean:

Stepan signs in 2013 for 2 years for $2,5M per
McD signs in 2013 for 4-5 years for $4,3M per

As for a rough target #, this^, except I think they will go a little higher for McD ($4.8 even up to 5.3m if he will go for a long term/max limit deal).

Stepan is another matter.
IMO Rangers will try to trade not Gaborik, a bona fide sniper, but Richards, the only one of Nash-Gaborik-Cally-BR they are not likely to move. If they can't move him and his aprx 6.6m cap hit they will have to buyout. That is the one way to be sure to keep the most guys emerging/eligible for raises as cap reduces.

Stepan would be even more valuable with Richards gone, unless Derek is moved (presumably with a +) for an upgrade at C. Or, if moved to Phoenix in a package for Yandle, making Girardi or Staal available for a pivot.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
McDonagh: 4.5
Stepan: 3.5
What are these numbers based on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
As for a rough target #, this^, except I think they will go a little higher for McD ($4.8 even up to 5.3m if he will go for a long term/max limit deal).

IMO Rangers will try to trade not Gaborik, a bona fide sniper, but Richards, the only one of Nash-Gaborik-Cally-BR they are not likely to move. If they can't move him and his aprx 6.6m cap hit they will have to buyout. That is the one way to be sure to keep the most guys emerging/eligible for raises as cap reduces.

Stepan would be even more valuable with Richards gone, unless Derek is moved (presumably with a +) for an upgrade at C. Or, if moved to Phoenix in a package for Yandle, making Girardi or Staal available for a pivot.
Bern one day, it'll hopefully hit you man.. These fairytale scenario's do not happen often in the NHL.

Sather shook things up this offseason. It was the biggest move he made in some time. He's not going to keep flipping the roster to satisfy this trade-fetish of yours.

This is Richards second season here. Look at how long we went w/o a 1C. It's one of the most difficult positions to fill. Unless BR has an abyssmal season, he's not being traded. He's not being bought out. He's not being moved.

And a lateral move like Staal/Girardi/Yandle isn't going to happen.

Stepan+ for another C isn't going to happen either. Look at the salary cap. Look at the potential options out there. Which team is going to downgrade their center position for a couple of extra assets?

After all this time, I think you would have gotten it by now. C'mon buddy.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:20 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

Trading or buying out Brad Richards... wow.

If you are fine going with Stepan, Boyle, Halpern and Newbury down the center.

Way to give some leverage to your RFA center you are trying to low ball.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:43 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
oh Boy

"Im outta here!!! Madness, madness, I downright claim that the blashemy of mankinds darkest abyss dwells in the catacombs of The Main Boards!!!"

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:03 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
If you're a contender and needed additional goal-scoring..
If you're on the cusp of being a contender and need goal-scoring...
If you're #1 scorer was injured and needed additional scoring...
These are imaginary scenarios. First we need to identify an actual market and proper trade partners for Marian Gaborik. So first, we slash off the teams from the Atlantic. So who in the southeast would want Gaborik? Washington? They're gonna have to rebuild. They're in a mess and need their young assets more than they need Gaborik. Carolina? What do they have to give without hurting their team? Tampa? They won't have the cap space. Florida? They don't have the finances to keep Stephen Weiss. Winnipeg? Maybe. For what?

NE: Boston? Cap Space issues. Montreal? They're fine as is. They don't need to dump their young assets. Toronto? Sure. Ottawa? I'm not sure what they have to offer. They seem fine as is still. Buffalo? Probably not. They're set on wingers.

Central? Detroit? I guess they may have the assets. Chicago is tight on cap space. St. Louis is loaded at forward. Nashville probably doesn't have the assets to acquire Gaborik. Columbus? They aren't going to make that kind of move. They don't have the assets.

NW: Vancouver? Not enough cap space. Oilers? They're fine up front. Calgary? After signing Iginla and Cervenka they probably won't have the cap space or assets to give up for Gaborik. Minnesota? They have the assets. It depends what they want to spend their limited cap space on. Colorado? When was the last time they made a significant move?

Pacific: Dallas? What do they have? Phoenix? They don't have the finances. Ducks? Probably not interested. San Jose? Cap problems. Kings? Who do they have?

Quote:
Teams are willing to pay a premium to improve their line-up. They always have been, and they always will.
GMs are willing to do whatever they can to make their team better. If it means paying a premium... Maybe. If they can force Sather to buy him out and not have to deal with him or his price demands, even better. Then you can attempt to sign Gaborik by signing him.

Quote:
Gaborik's one of the best scorers in the league. If Sather was shopping him, there would be numerous buyers lining up. This isn't even debatable.
It is debatable. As I listed, only Detroit, Minnesota, and Toronto would have the assets, cap space, and demand to pull such a deal off. That's not numerous. That's a few teams. They stand equal chance of acquiring an UFA Gaborik as they would a Gaborik on the trade block. The cool thing is, they don't have to give up assets chasing an UFA Gaborik.

Quote:
Again, if Gaustad, who's nothing more than a 4th line Center, can fetch a 1st round draft pick, why wouldn't there be a market for Gaborik? Why didn't Nashville just, wait?
From what I heard, Gaustad got a first because Nashville wanted to keep him off of the Red Wings. But I would think Gaustad and a first would hurt the market for Gaborik. If a fourth liner got a 1st, then what could the notorious GM Glen Sather be demanding for Gaborik? I wouldn't even want to try.

Quote:
Additionally, only 1 team in the league is going to sign Marian when he hits free agency again. Who's to say that Team A or Team B signs him?
Only 1 team in the league is going to acquire Marian through a trade when he hits the trade block. Who's to say that Team A or Team B acquires him?

Quote:
Why was there a market for Hossa and Kovalchuk? Why didn't teams just wait? . . .
For one, Atlanta wasn't in serious cap problems. Second, they wouldn't have a cap compliance buyout so they would be forced to trade him anyways. Atlanta is the tragic case of sucking and trading their best players off for futures. These are two entirely different situations. New York on the other hand, is still a decent team. They have a cap compliance buyout. There are few suitors that would fit as a trading partner with NYR. If those few teams don't want to deal with Sather, they can use walkaway power and force Sather to buy him out.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Sticky Fingers
Hayes dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I'm not so sure about the "being easy to trade" part. Why give up assets? If they need to get rid of him and are demanding something significant, why bother giving it up when you can force them to buy him out with walk away power. No one's obligated to trade with Sather, and chances are GMs are probably not interested in getting swindled... Just food for thought. There will always be that crazy GM who screws everything up, though...
Why in earth would Gaborik be bought out next season? I heard a lot of stupid proposals regarding Gaborik, but this is a winner by far

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:18 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

McDonagh's getting paid & the Rangers would be stupid not to give it to him. Thinking around 4.5-5 a year.

The estimates around 3, 2.5 sound about right for Stephan.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Something you gotta keep in mind is the way Staal's contract is structured.

He does actually make over $5m... for one year in which he would have been a UFA. He makes over $3.5m for the years he would have been arbitration eligible. He made $3.1m for the year in which he was not arb. eligible.

McDonagh is arbitration eligible this offseason.

A conceivable 6 year deal for him would look something like this:

$3.8m (arb)
$3.8m (arb)
$3.8m (arb)
$3.8m (arb)
$5.7m (UFA)
$5.7m (UFA)
AAV: $4.43m

Depends on the cap.

Either way, the Rangers will part with Pyatt and Asham for cheaper options before they trade or buy out Gaborik to satisfy the cap.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Machinehead
#Fakestats

vCash: 50
As far as odd man out I'd much rather lose Staal or Girardi than Gaborik. We have a plethora of top 2 D-men. We're starved for scoring. Team needs would behoove us to lose a D-man before a forward.

Ben Hutton is my Spirit Animal. Jeff Gorton is not.
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Habsrback

He will cost a bundle....wish we were the ones stuck with that "problem"...!

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:28 PM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
Wonder if Tambo has the balls for an offsheet around $5.5m. Oilers could use a guy like McD and 1st, 2nd and 3rd ain't much to pay for him.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Sather would be wise to sign McD before July 1, lest he be the victim of a Weber style offer sheet.

Honestly, that offer sheet was horrible. 4 years with no 1sts would ruin your franchise. 14 years paying Weber 10M would cripple your finances.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:43 PM
rockinghockey

If one of these players pull a RoR then who knows, I see Stepan might be wanting more than 2.5m.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Wouldn't shock be to see McD under 4M though. Wouldn't shock me to see Boyle moved as well, especially if JT's ready. Hagelin will get less than 2M imo.
What's the asking price on Boyle? If he ever became available, Vancity should be interested.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:58 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
What's the asking price on Boyle? If he ever became available, Vancity should be interested.
Something based around Boyle for Hansen?

Not necessarily straight up, but I'd imagine the Rangers would be interested in a guy like that if they were to deal Boyle to Vancouver.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Remember2004

OR they just both sign for really cheap and the Rangers can make a all star team... Depending on how bad people want a ring I'm sure they could make one... When Gaborik's contract is up resign for like 3mil and start signing stars like that onto the Rangers... Hahahahaha

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote