Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronger traded

Old
07-03-2006, 01:23 PM
tysester

vCash: 500
Pronger traded

How does the Pronger deal affect the Flames?

Negatives: 1) Oil get more scoring power in Lupul and draft picks that they can use as trade bait; 2) we have to play a stacked Ducks defense 4 times.

Positives: 1) barring a major trade, Oil now have a gaping hole on D, to the tune of 30mins a night, all situations. They'll be able to score on us, but we should be able to score even more on them.

Overall I think everyone in the West wished that he ended up in the East, but as it gets him out of our division - and didn't net the Oil a huge return price - its probably an overall positive for Calgary.

tysester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Badger Bob

The trade significantly weakens Edmonton. Pronger and Peca were their show-stopping acquisitions, proved to be studs in the playoffs, and neither will return. With Peca, it was obvious from the start, that'd he'd be a lame duck, but the Pronger backpeddle came as a surprise. The important aspect of all of this is that the Oilers were not able to attract FA's, and the same scenario should play out this year, not including re-signing Roloson. In fact, with what just happened, that might convince others (Pisani?) to jump ship.

The Flames are re-tooling, and shouldn't be concerned with what occurs further north. The focus should be on one thing...winning it all.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:59 PM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
The important aspect of all of this is that the Oilers were not able to attract FA's, and the same scenario should play out this year, not including re-signing Roloson. In fact, with what just happened, that might convince others (Pisani?) to jump ship.
Pisani signed a 4 year deal almost a week ago.

The Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 09:07 PM
sweetcrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysester View Post
...its probably an overall positive for Calgary.
You're right. Overall, it is a net positive for Calgary, but on the flip side Kevin made the point today that St. Louis weren't winning championships when Pronger and MacInnis were together so draw your own conclusion.

Is Anaheim gonna kill on defense this year? Yes.
Is Edmonton gonna kill on offense this year? Yes.

Overall, Edmonton doesn't have an awesome defense anymore, but with key signing or two, we'll be fine. Not great mind you, but probably more than adequate. Balance with that how Kevin Lowe calls is now describing the Oilers squad this upcoming season to be likely the strongest offensively in more than a decade.

Anyways, I hope the Flames make a few more changes as well to get this Battle of Alberta rumbling once again...

sweetcrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:25 PM
abracanada

Well, I figure the rhetoric is going to be as heated as ever anyway. It should be fun to watch the Oilers anyway. Lots of young, speedy skill guys.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Heavy Fuel

I think the NW was tough before, and now it got tougher. All of the teams appear to have upgraded in their weak areas. Edmonton looks to be better up front and in net, but their D went from very good to suspect. Oilers need a signing or trade for a top pairing guy with offensive skils if they are going to keep up.

Smith/Staios as a top pairing won't scare anyone. Staios/Bergeron on the PP will scare Edmonton fans.

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:42 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Whole View Post
I think the NW was tough before, and now it got tougher. All of the teams appear to have upgraded in their weak areas. Edmonton looks to be better up front and in net, but their D went from very good to suspect. Oilers need a signing or trade for a top pairing guy with offensive skils if they are going to keep up.

Smith/Staios as a top pairing won't scare anyone. Staios/Bergeron on the PP will scare Edmonton fans.

Actually, a considerable downgrade on defence in my estimation. Pronger was the man and he logged almost 30 minutes of ice time when things were getting hot. Who do the Oilers have capable of doing that over the course of the year? The opposition is going to feel a lot more confident when they go after Rollie now.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:09 AM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Pronger made Rolison a better goalie then he is and turned perennial also ran defensemen(smith) and pluggers(Bergeron) into top notch defensemen. Thats something that Lupul could never replace and i predict we'll take the seasons series from the oilers again and they will once again be battling for the final playoff spot this time on the outside looking in.

Not only did pronger play 30 minutes a night but he played the most important minutes. Who knows maybe they'll pull off a blockbuster but as it stands now their chances of making the playoffs went down the crapper.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Heavy Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Actually, a considerable downgrade on defence in my estimation. Pronger was the man and he logged almost 30 minutes of ice time when things were getting hot. Who do the Oilers have capable of doing that over the course of the year? The opposition is going to feel a lot more confident when they go after Rollie now.
Like I said, suspect. Nobody could replace him, realistically. It's going to be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
Pronger made Rolison a better goalie then he is and turned perennial also ran defensemen(smith) and pluggers(Bergeron) into top notch defensemen. Thats something that Lupul could never replace and i predict we'll take the seasons series from the oilers again and they will once again be battling for the final playoff spot this time on the outside looking in.

Not only did pronger play 30 minutes a night but he played the most important minutes. Who knows maybe they'll pull off a blockbuster but as it stands now their chances of making the playoffs went down the crapper.
The Oiler's team game change that started at the end of the regular season and into the playoffs helped Rollie, that is probably correct. He was still an upgrade over the mess that went on for much of the year. No need to explain Pronger's value to the Oiler's D, it should have been pretty obvious. I think Calgary looks on paper better than they did last year, while Edmonton would be considered a little worse. That adds up to an uphill climb against the NW.

We still have to wait for the games to be played, however.

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote