HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give Gainey a break for now

Old
07-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Raider917

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Habsfan View Post
Gainey's actions remind me of the way Scott Pioli and Bill Belicheck of the Patriots run things. They develop talent from within and wait for the free agent frenzy to be over, then they try to find talent that fits their team and is cap friendly. It seems to work in the NFL, but I guess we have to see if it works in the NHL
but the patriots win

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:02 PM
NH Habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
but the patriots win
They do now, but it took some time and smart management to get them where they are now.

NH Habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Poochie_D

Am I crazy or didn't Bob specifically last summer during the offseason that he was saving money for this offseason since he thought there were better free agents up to be signed?

Poochie_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D View Post
Am I crazy or didn't Bob specifically last summer during the offseason that he was saving money for this offseason since he thought there were better free agents up to be signed?
Yeah, but alot of the good ones signed during the year. Maybe next year's are even better!

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:24 PM
deandebean

I don't believe in signing markee names for the sake of it. Myself, I'm happy as hell that Stéphane Arnott has signed elsewhere.

But Gainey can't stand pat. He'll have to make a move for some veteran presence up front. This team cannot start the season with 7 kids in the lineup, it's suicidal.

I expect some signings in the next 2 days. Not only big names, but veteran leadership. He has too, if he doesn't want the Habs to miss the playoffs.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:01 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Habsfan View Post
They do now, but it took some time and smart management to get them where they are now.
Actually, the pats won their first of 3 titles in 4 years in Belichek and Pioli's (the player personal guru) 2nd season coaching the team...

They took over and started winning as soon as they were able to direct the player management.
The team was mediocre when they got there, and has been a dynasty ever since...

Gainey and his "team" don't even come close so please don't try to compare.

Gainey is either playing it really safe, or really close to the pocket book... in either case, the Habs have the best fan support in the league and so have a right to demand better!!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 04:00 AM
swiftsure1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Actually, the pats won their first of 3 titles in 4 years in Belichek and Pioli's (the player personal guru) 2nd season coaching the team...

They took over and started winning as soon as they were able to direct the player management.
The team was mediocre when they got there, and has been a dynasty ever since...

Gainey and his "team" don't even come close so please don't try to compare.

Gainey is either playing it really safe, or really close to the pocket book... in either case, the Habs have the best fan support in the league and so have a right to demand better!!
You see its that sort of opinion, which is, with all due respect, misguided. I won't get into the NFl part because I am not at all knowledgable about that but when you say we have a right to demand better, what exactly do you mean by that? Surely you can't be calling for merely a free agent signing, regardless of who it actually is? let me tell you that signing a free agent just for the sake of signing a free agent is about the worst possible thing that Gainey could do. Bob Gainey has been so smart in this FA period. Take a look at the contracts being given out? Would you really ahve wanted Arnott or Elias or Kubina or whoever at some of these prices and lengths? Gainey is building a team, not the easy way to satisfy fans/media, but the right way to win a cup. The elation that Bruins fans are feeling right now will dissapear very quickly when Chara and Savard all of a sudden aren't quite performing as expected, Elias will be great now, but in 2012, would you want to be paying $7m to him, same with the 5th year of Arnott. Take a look at these deals, thank God we did not rush into these stupid deals. We now have two things that few teams have:

1) We have good cap room as of right now, we are much better equipped to explore other options such as offer sheets and trades.

2) We do not one significantly over-paid player who can hurt us economically in the future, what that gives, and this is the all important word in the NHL today - flexibility.

I want the Habs to win number 25 just as much as anyone but what we have to realise is that this is not going to happen by flashy free-agents, look at Carolina, look at Buffalo, look at NYR, look what they did in terms of free agents and where they ended up in our conference; then look at Boston, look at Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was going to win the cup and the Boston fans were in exactly the same mood as they are this year.

Oh and one more thing - there are still some very interesting Free Agents left.

Let's keep the faith.

swiftsure1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Bob Bastards

UFA Season in Montreal = Junkie in need of a fix

Ahhh! UFA Season in Montreral, the season of love and hate...

but mostly hate.

OK, let's go back to July 1st, 12:00AM. Here a list of who I was considering the best of the pack or at least the biggest name of the crop:

Zedno Chara
Patrick Elias
Jason Arnott
Jay McKee
Jamie Langenbrunner
Ed Jovanovski
Brendan Witt

Now take a look at the contract:
Chara --> 5 years/7.5 mils
Elias 7 years/6mils
Arnott 5 years/4.5 mils
McKee 4 years/4 mils
Langenbrunner 5 year/2.8 mils
Jovanovski
Witt Undisclosed, but I will put it in the same range as McKee

And for the fun of it, let's just put Savard 4 years/5 mils also in the equation.

So, if I understand correctly must of the people on this board and on stupid radio show, Gainey is the worst GM of the century because of is inability to sign any of those guys correct?
Now, how do you think the Habs fans would have react if Gainey have sign any of the contract cited before?
Jeez, people where going nuts when we sign Koivu and Kovy at 4.5 mils each and I am sorry but those guys are twice the player Savard, McKee or Witt are!!! If Gainey were the one handing those contract people would have burn him in effigy on Ste-Catherine street... Elias is a great hockey player, but for God sake, 7 years??? 7.5 mils for Chara, who do nothing during the playoff for 5 years runnimg, oh Langenbrunner is a great 3rd line grinder, but 2.8 mils???

Habs fan are the worst type of bipolar people in the world:

- Gainey is not able to sign UFA by July 4th (4 days into the UFA market...) and he is the worst GM of the Habs history.

- Gainey sign any of the formention guys to the given contract and he is the worst GM of the Habs history.

- Gainey sign Kovalev a great hockey player who want to play for us at a reasonable contract and he is the worst GM of the habs history.

- Gainey resign our captain, the heart and soul of this moronics bunch and one of the best player on the team (I hope we at least remember how we play in the playoff after is departure?), AKA Saku Koivu for, yet again, a reasonable contract and gess what? YES SIR! He is the worst GM of the Habs history...

Forget it guys, Forsberg will not come play in Montreal for a free ticket at "Chez Pare", Sakic will not come here for our great poutine, Burke will not trade Pronger for Ribeiro and a draft pick and we will certainly not have the oportunity to trade Lecavalier for Ryder and 2 bags of pucks...
Get back on earth, player go where to money is, where their wife tell them to go and where they want to go.
Put that in your mind and stop complening, you sound like a bunch of baby crying for there sucker...

Jeez....

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Great post Bob and I agree with everything you said. Like deandebean also mentioned, there is no point in signing a big name free agent just for the sake of doing it.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:10 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ******** View Post

but mostly hate.

OK, let's go back to July 1st, 12:00AM. Here a list of who I was considering the best of the pack or at least the biggest name of the crop:

Zedno Chara
Patrick Elias
Jason Arnott
Jay McKee
Jamie Langenbrunner
Ed Jovanovski
Brendan Witt

Elias 7 years/6mils
Arnott 5 years/4.5 mils
McKee 4 years/4 mils
Jovanovski

And for the fun of it, let's just put Savard 4 years/5 mils also in the equation.

So, if I understand correctly must of the people on this board and on stupid radio show, Gainey is the worst GM of the century because of is inability to sign any of those guys correct?
Now, how do you think the Habs fans would have react if Gainey have sign any of the contract cited before?
Jeez, people where going nuts when we sign Koivu and Kovy at 4.5 mils each and I am sorry but those guys are twice the player Savard, McKee or Witt are!!! If Gainey were the one handing those contract people would have burn him in effigy on Ste-Catherine street... Elias is a great hockey player, but for God sake, 7 years??? 7.5 mils for Chara, who do nothing during the playoff for 5 years runnimg, oh Langenbrunner is a great 3rd line grinder, but 2.8 mils???

- Gainey is not able to sign UFA by July 4th (4 days into the UFA market...) and he is the worst GM of the Habs history.

- Gainey sign any of the formention guys to the given contract and he is the worst GM of the Habs history.

- Gainey sign Kovalev a great hockey player who want to play for us at a reasonable contract and he is the worst GM of the habs history.

- Gainey resign our captain, the heart and soul of this moronics bunch and one of the best player on the team (I hope we at least remember how we play in the playoff after is departure?), AKA Saku Koivu for, yet again, a reasonable contract and gess what? YES SIR! He is the worst GM of the Habs history...

Forget it guys, Forsberg will not come play in Montreal for a free ticket at "Chez Pare", Sakic will not come here for our great poutine, Burke will not trade Pronger for Ribeiro and a draft pick and we will certainly not have the oportunity to trade Lecavalier for Ryder and 2 bags of pucks...
Get back on earth, player go where to money is, where their wife tell them to go and where they want to go.
Put that in your mind and stop complening, you sound like a bunch of baby crying for there sucker...

Jeez....

Agreed

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ******** View Post

but mostly hate.

Zedno Chara
Patrick Elias
Jason Arnott
Jay McKee
Jamie Langenbrunner
Ed Jovanovski
Brendan Witt

Elias 7 years/6mils
Arnott 5 years/4.5 mils
McKee 4 years/4 mils
Jovanovski

Jeez....
Out of those contracts, I'll take Arnott at 4.5M. Montreal does not have a solid second line centre on the roster and none in the farm system. We do have a lot of talent in wing and goalie. With this year's draft we add some depth in D. However there is still no solid line centre in the system. Arnott's contract is not out of range and he does add impact to this team. I agree there is no need for all the others as we have good prospects to do those jobs. Adding Shanahan helps in leadership and experience department.

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Habitants

i agree, i think he is doing a fine job. all the contracts signed so far have been too long and too expensive. im happy to have koivu and kovy for 4.5 mil! and good job on turning 5 mil theo into Huet +abby for the same price.

we dont need arnott or kubina at 5mil per season! i know we still have cap room, but there are still players out there, like shanahan and markov, which could both be had for decent price.

the reason so many ppl went so fast this weekend is becasue they were in high demand and GMs bid for there services. gainey backed off becasue it got too expensive, like with aucoin last season. he can still pull a trade at any time!

and I am also confident with our youth, i WANT to see Kostsitsyn in the lineup next season! and i want to see latendresse get another chance. it would be nice to bring in shanahan as some veteran help, but not the end of the world, espeacially if he wants more than 5mil$

need to be patient, slow and steady wins the race

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Guy!

Oh yes. Because if Bob Gainey was actually working and offering, what player in their right mind wouldn't come to Montreal.

*rolls eyes*

I wanna go play where they don't want anyone but Francophones. Yippee!

I wanna go play where the media treat one of the classiest players in the league (Koivu) like he's some kind of irresponsible moron because he refuses to speak French to the All-Knowing, All-Seeing French Media.

I wanna go play where the "knowledgeable" fans love you right up until you make a mistake, then they boo you.

Please, oh Mr. Gainey, hold a gun to my head and make me sign that contract.

~~~

Maybe some of you should look up the word "duress", context: signing under.

Then go back a few years, take a look at all the posts written here and on other message sites.

Then go read the diatribes written in the media (particularly the French media).

THEN ask again whether or not Gainey is doing a good job of making us better DESPITE what he has to go through.

~~~

Really, before blurting out verbal diarrhea, maybe give the topic more than just a cursory thought. It's a significantly more difficult situation than just putting a contract in front of a player with a whole lotta 0's at the end. Said player then has to relocate to Montreal (which, last I heard, was once the largest Canadian city and is getting smaller and smaller - wanna put in a few guesses why?), potentially get their kids into school (French school anyone? No? Tough), then adapt to the most different culture in Canada and the US as well as live in one of the most ridiculous climates.

Still sound appealing to you?

Hence: Nashville. Etc.

Guy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Teufelsdreck

I was very hard on Gainey but I realize that he's up against it. It's not just money that keeps UFAs away. The vast majority just don't want to sign with the Habs. The chief obstacle isn't the media, annoying as it is. It's the taxes and the provincial language laws that impose restrictions on families that want their children to be educated in English as a first language.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Habnot

It is totally absurd to hear some of the talk radio guys or posters on this board discuss the UFA process. It literally seems that all these so called "fans" want is to sign anyone at any ridiculous price and for 5 years to boot. I'm sure the day that one of these contracts hangs like an albatross around one's neck, they will be the first to scream that our GM had no clue offerring such a huge deal for so long.

Lucrative long-term deals are franchise killers, unless you can land an elite player, and I do mean elite. All the UFA's that have signed have been over valued and have signed for a minimum 4 years. As far as I am concerned, if I am an owner, I want my GM to bring me back value. Yes winning is the most important result, but not to the detriment of fiscal sanity.

Gainey is doing a remarkable job. First, he has retained all his own UFA's at a resonable price. (It is really clueless to say the Habs have not signed a UFA, Kovy, Huet and Boullion are all important pieces to this team.) Secondly, the Habs have one of the healthiest salary structure in the NHL, giving them flexibility if necessary and with the exception of Bonk, everyone is paid fairly but not overpaid (value) to reasonable length deals. I'm not sure there are many teams in the NHL that can say the same. Finally, he is making room for his young talent and sticking to it.

But of coarse, in this world of quick sound bites, splashy signings, appearances over substance, Gainey does not get the recognition he deserves.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:35 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy! View Post
Oh yes. Because if Bob Gainey was actually working and offering, what player in their right mind wouldn't come to Montreal.

*rolls eyes*

I wanna go play where the media treat one of the classiest players in the league (Koivu) like he's some kind of irresponsible moron because he refuses to speak French to the All-Knowing, All-Seeing French Media.

I wanna go play where the "knowledgeable" fans love you right up until you make a mistake, then they boo you.

~~~

Then go back a few years, take a look at all the posts written here and on other message sites.

Then go read the diatribes written in the media (particularly the French media).

THEN ask again whether or not Gainey is doing a good job of making us better DESPITE what he has to go through.

~~~

Really, before blurting out verbal diarrhea, maybe give the topic more than just a cursory thought. It's a significantly more difficult situation than just putting a contract in front of a player with a whole lotta 0's at the end. Said player then has to relocate to Montreal (which, last I heard, was once the largest Canadian city and is getting smaller and smaller - wanna put in a few guesses why?), potentially get their kids into school (French school anyone? No? Tough), then adapt to the most different culture in Canada and the US as well as live in one of the most ridiculous climates.

gj at portraying a stereotype point of view of montreal. (French school....private school?, , Montreal getting smaller?, may not be growing at the same pace of other towns like Toronto, but getting smaller? A few media hasbeen like Raymond, Bergeron have the power to stop a NHL player joining us? plz, don't give them that power. For every bad ones, there are good ones like Brunet, etc. Maybe you don't remember the english media and Patrice Brisebois (Breeze-By) Relationship? Since when do we only want francophone players? Kovalev....I believe we all wanted Elias...etc. Seriously, give your head a shake.

The Number of years and 0 at the end of the contract makes a LOT of difference. But for similar contracts, other factors can play in different for each player such as weather, pressure, langage but to say it is the priority for them is a joke.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:41 AM
albertonhabsfan

Trades, Trades, Trades, It's coming guys, be patient!! Look what he did in Dallas

albertonhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
gj at portraying a stereotype point of view of montreal. (French school....private school?, , Montreal getting smaller?, may not be growing at the same pace of other towns like Toronto, but getting smaller? A few media hasbeen like Raymond, Bergeron have the power to stop a NHL player joining us? plz, don't give them that power. For every bad ones, there are good ones like Brunet, etc. Maybe you don't remember the english media and Patrice Brisebois (Breeze-By) Relationship? Since when do we only want francophone players? Kovalev....I believe we all wanted Elias...etc. Seriously, give your head a shake.

The Number of years and 0 at the end of the contract makes a LOT of difference. But for similar contracts, other factors can play in different for each player such as weather, pressure, langage but to say it is the priority for them is a joke.
And what, pray tell, makes you think that Gainey's offers in terms of dollars have not been identical to the offers made by the winning clubs? Remember Lapointe? Same offer as Boston, but surprise upon surprise he didn't choose Montreal.

OBVIOUSLY the 0's are important. But when the dollar value is close between an offer with Montreal and an offer with Nashville, or New Jersey, or frikkin Phoenix, do ya think then all the other stuff comes into play? *laughs*

"Hm. Nashville at $4.5M. Montreal at $4.5M. Let's see. Nashville's con's: small hockey market (not necessarily the end of the world), bad country music (apologies to country fans, this is just an example). Montreal's con's: too numerous to list. Right. Decision made."

Old
07-04-2006, 12:02 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
And what, pray tell, makes you think that Gainey's offers in terms of dollars have not been identical to the offers made by the winning clubs? Remember Lapointe? Same offer as Boston, but surprise upon surprise he didn't choose Montreal.

OBVIOUSLY the 0's are important. But when the dollar value is close between an offer with Montreal and an offer with Nashville, or New Jersey, or frikkin Phoenix, do ya think then all the other stuff comes into play? *laughs*

"Hm. Nashville at $4.5M. Montreal at $4.5M. Let's see. Nashville's con's: small hockey market (not necessarily the end of the world), bad country music (apologies to country fans, this is just an example). Montreal's con's: too numerous to list. Right. Decision made."
Let's choose a random ufa player.

We will call him Jeremy Roenick:

Montreal Pro: Media town, in Canada, gets recognition from everyone on the streets
Nashville Con: in the USA, none cares about hockey, a man between others

For similar contract, I believe he would choose Montreal by far. One person pro can be another con. If you think Montreal is such a horrible city, that's your point of view, but I don't share it. The langage issue is overblown, the media issue is overplayed. I'm tired of this. You may have to pay more for certain players, but if that's what it takes, do it.

Old
07-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:

*rolls eyes*

~~~

~~~

We don't see you around here often enough.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:09 PM
HF-Addict

And btw, if you think Montreal fans are the only ones to boo players on their team when they don't play good or only montreal media talks against their players, you need to watch some more hockey, it's overblown in here because of all the media attention we've got in Montreal unlike Nashville and the number of montreal canadiens fans on thsi board make it easy to point out every little "unacceptable" things.

Boston with Joe Thornton and the numerous articles about his post-season success.
Rangers with Poti

Old
07-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Let's choose a random ufa player.

We will call him Jeremy Roenick:

Montreal Pro: Media town, in Canada, gets recognition from everyone on the streets
Nashville Con: in the USA, none cares about hockey, a man between others

For similar contract, I believe he would choose Montreal by far. One person pro can be another con. If you think Montreal is such a horrible city, that's your point of view, but I don't share it. The langage issue is overblown, the media issue is overplayed. I'm tired of this. You may have to pay more for certain players, but if that's what it takes, do it.
Completely agree. To some, Montreal might be the place to be. But if you think that Montreal is great and my opinion is a minority, then why, oh why are the free agents not lining up to be in Montreal? Do you honestly think Gainey isn't doing everything he can do to get them here? Do you really believe he's lowballing them?

Old
07-04-2006, 12:18 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Completely agree. To some, Montreal might be the place to be. But if you think that Montreal is great and my opinion is a minority, then why, oh why are the free agents not lining up to be in Montreal? Do you honestly think Gainey isn't doing everything he can do to get them here? Do you really believe he's lowballing them?
nah, i just think he tries but doesn't match offers, I read somewhere that Gainey offered 7M for 5 years to Patrick Elias (might be speculation...), a damn good offer but NJey answered with a 7 years 6 M contract, he bails out. When you think about it, it's probably the right move to bail out, but it doesn't give the feeling that the Montreal Canadiens are out there with the other teams to compete and win it all when in the end, they got their hands on no one worthwhile. That's my problem...

Old
07-04-2006, 12:21 PM
JackieChan

The thing is, Montreal isn't a hip place to be, even Theo had to go over to Toronto to fork Paris Hilton. You got millions, wanna ride in one of your Ferrari's to the morning practice? Tough luck , there's a winter storm out there, and your shiny sport car might not appreciate the huge holes every meter in the roads. And *****, the wife thinks the shopping on Rodeo Drive is better than St-Laurent..... Let's head over to Cali, then. No fans?? No biggie.

JackieChan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:24 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
The thing is, Montreal isn't a hip place to be, even Theo had to go over to Toronto to fork Paris Hilton. You got millions, wanna ride in one of your Ferrari's to the morning practice? Tough luck , there's a winter storm out there, and your shiny sport car might not appreciate the huge holes every meter in the roads. And ****, the wife prefers the shopping on Rodeo Drive more than St-Laurent..... Let's head over to Cali, then. No fans?? No biggie.

He just have to take his manly hummer to get to the practice rink. Paris Hilton is ugly. Holes make his life riskier, thus much more interesting, and the wife likes skiing

And btw, Aren't you supposed to be working?