HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Beat Islanders 4-2 | Cole's Not Here, Man

Old
02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
+ Fleury. He came through for us today when the team didn't. Good on him.
+ PK. Gave some good looks and the Islanders know how to make the one (helps winning draws), but killing 7 of 7 is big.
+ 4th line. Becoming automatic.
+ Defense. Mostly our defenders are playing really, really well. Today we had some spells where it was all Islanders all the time, but I think mostly this was because of poor help from the forwards.... and of course due to Capuano having gotten himself a nice read on how we outlet the puck and having had major success making us gobble it up.

Crosby's line make things happen getting pressure on the forecheck and staying together as a group. Malkin's does not, him being more of a reason for it because he is looping about (offensively and defensively) trying to get time on the puck.

So.... - Malkin, one of the big ones, for poor effort and lazy giveaways. Will say though, that the way we are outletting the puck and dumping and chasing right now.... that is never going to bring us the real 71. It just isn't.

+ Four in a row

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

+ PK
+ Sutter, yay, goals goals goals
+ Fleury
+ Orpik
+ Despres
+ stepping **** up after Sid got hurt

- Neal for taking ridiculous penalties, he was good otherwise
- microsleep after first goal against

personal - picking up an infraction for calling Islanders "fans" cheering for Crosby getting hurt a name I was rather expecting to get asteriksed out anyway on mainboard, but whatever, it`s my first, I live.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
+++ PK. Holy crap. 8 penalties killed? Very nice.

+ MAF. Looked good out there honestly.
+ Crosby. Good chances. Good passes. Should have had that goal in the 3rd.
+ Winning
+ Martin again and the defense. Good hustle.
+ TK didn't shoot on one drive and actually made a move to pass it. Maybe he's following the AskTK48?
+ Sutter
+ Despres. Wow. I'm really liking this kid right now.

- Malkin. I think I saw him turn it over 2 or 3 times in one shift. Seemed off his game.
- The team slacking off in the third period letting 2 quick goals. I think MAF had earned the shut out at that point.
- NYI fans applauding Sid hurt and shouting "You Suck" as he walks of the ice. It's one thing to hate the opposing team - it's another thing to be a classless piece of trash
-Waaaay too many shots allowed throughout the game.
That was pretty ****ed up. As much crap as Pens fans get from other fan bases - some of it deserved - I have never ever seen the crowd at Mellon/Consol cheer when an opposing player is injured.

Anyway:
+++ MAF
++ Mostly everything else

--- Undisciplined penalties
--- Pucks hitting people in faces

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nhindian

- Flyers win

+ First place in the East because of it.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
fragmag

- penalties, enough already
- Depres stop taking stupid penalties rookie
+ Depres great game rook!
+ pk, damn impressive
+ flower, nice job dude
+ not taking **** seriously, even Crosby mashed McDonald (I think that is who it was) they pushed back tonight, loved it

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

+ Everyone has games in hand, but for now we're first in the East

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:14 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

+ DB for not scratching Despres for Lovejoy, as some speculated during the pregame skate.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:16 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

+Sid. Best game of the year, idc about the lone assist. He was flying all night, that was vintage Crosby. Unfortunate not to do better on the score sheet.

+4th line. Fantastic work again by this crew, especially Vitale and Glass.

+Neal. Thought he was the only player on the 2nd line to bring it tonight.

+Last 3.5 minutes of the game. Islanders never had a chance to tie it at the end, as we totally hemmed them in their zone, including a fantastic shift by TK.

-Malkin. Terrible game, seriously did he even play?

-Discipline. Just atrocious. Were we trying to lose? Seems like every game we've played the other team has had more PP chances.

-Fans. Stay classy.

=Despres. Again some dumb penalties that he has to eliminate but a big time goal. A bit of a softy, but it was a blast.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
+ DB for not scratching Despres for Lovejoy, as some speculated during the pregame skate.
on that note.
-to whoever was listening to Steigerwald's speculation on the radio and causing a collective board meltdown.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:19 PM

+ MAF... Great game and composed on every shot. Bad rebound on the 2nd goal but not much to complain about. I'm loving the ways he's closed up while moving from post to post.

+ Sid... He's getting better every game and that elite vision is back. He's finding his linemates quick.

+ Bort and Despres... Some small rookie mistakes but nothing huge. I really like how they join plays in the middle of the ice instead of one side or the other.

+ Sutter... Always around the puck and really smart when moving it.

+ Good support around the cage for the most part.

+ Badass game by Brooks. Mean, nasty and its good to see him back.

- Once again the Pens go up and don't show that killer instinct. They let the Isles back in the game and this really could have ended badly.

- Unforced give aways in the neutral zone and high in the offensive zone.

- I really REALLY hate when Malkin becomes blah. When the last time he's even tried to beat someone one on one.

- There are a few times that Letang becomes so focused on the puck that he isn't aware of players sneaking back door. This has been going on for a while and some of his bad habits never seem to go away.

- I thought this was a bad win. Really sloppy, soft play with the lead and bad PIMs.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:19 PM
SidTheKid8787

I agree, i love the push back by Glass, Bortuzzo et. al. This team may not have the goals in the lineup it had last year but it has more grit.

I still do not like the arguing/yapping with officials. We had a few ticky tack calls and they will continue to come if you try and embarass or show up refs.

There was also some dumb penalties which we always seem to see from this club. I dunno why they continue to hurt themselves like that.

Last edited by SidTheKid8787: 02-05-2013 at 09:38 PM.
SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Pancakes

Jordan Staal was a beast defensively for us but based on what Iv'e seen so far I'm not convinced that Sutter isn't just as good...and maybe even better. His hockey sense is through the roof. He's not as noticeable on the ice as Staal in the defensive end because he doesn't have the massive reach or physical banging but he lifts sticks of guys in front of the net, blocks shots, and is always in the right place at the right time.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
fragmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
on that note.
-to whoever was listening to Steigerwald's speculation on the radio and causing a collective board meltdown.
To be fair, the first minute of the pregame show, they said Lovejoy was in. After a commercial break (or two) they corrected that and said he wasn't.

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
For the people saying Malkin was out of it, you really need to take into account the infinite amount of penalties the Pens took tonight, and Malkin not playing on the PK.
What are you talking about? Malkin killed penalties half the night. He and Neal have been doing that at ES pretty much all year given the cluster of a parade on their LW (it took Boychuk all of three games to go from maybe even better than Jeffrey to TK 2.0).

IMO, tonight was Flower's turn stealing one.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
+ Fleury. He came through for us today when the team didn't. Good on him.
+ PK. Gave some good looks and the Islanders know how to make the one (helps winning draws), but killing 7 of 7 is big.
+ 4th line. Becoming automatic.
+ Defense. Mostly our defenders are playing really, really well. Today we had some spells where it was all Islanders all the time, but I think mostly this was because of poor help from the forwards.... and of course due to Capuano having gotten himself a nice read on how we outlet the puck and having had major success making us gobble it up.

Crosby's line make things happen getting pressure on the forecheck and staying together as a group. Malkin's does not, him being more of a reason for it because he is looping about (offensively and defensively) trying to get time on the puck.

So.... - Malkin, one of the big ones, for poor effort and lazy giveaways. Will say though, that the way we are outletting the puck and dumping and chasing right now.... that is never going to bring us the real 71. It just isn't.

+ Four in a row
First period we actually had him looping back Red Wings style and coming through the neutral zone with speed. Curiously, he looked good in the first. Side note: Not Boychuk's fault per se, but it seems that Malkin is as thrilled playing with this bubble roster player as the one he started the season with.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:28 PM
SteelFish87*

+++ Fleury - thought he played great

although i hope Vokoun gets the next start and they keep rotating them

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
First period we actually had him looping back Red Wings style and coming through the neutral zone with speed. Curiously, he looked good in the first. Side note: Not Boychuk's fault per se, but it seems that Malkin is as thrilled playing with this bubble roster player as the one he started the season with.
There's a point where this is on Malkin. If he's being moody and refusing to play with someone, that's something Malkin needs to try to get past.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Jordan Staal was a beast defensively for us but based on what Iv'e seen so far I'm not convinced that Sutter isn't just as good...and maybe even better. His hockey sense is through the roof. He's not as noticeable on the ice as Staal in the defensive end because he doesn't have the massive reach or physical banging but he lifts sticks of guys in front of the net, blocks shots, and is always in the right place at the right time.
I think the notion of Staal being some defensive stalwart is a bit overstated. Sutter is everything we hoped Staal would be, not everything Staal was.

My big minus on the night was that it seemed the Pens lost every defensive zone PK faceoff. It was no wonder they gave up 15+ PP shots, since they were never able to disrupt the Isles' PP from the start.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:34 PM
turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
There's a point where this is on Malkin. If he's being moody and refusing to play with someone, that's something Malkin needs to try to get past.
I'd be interested to hear your take on this subject if they were doing the same revolving door on Sid's wing.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
Just guessing here but I'm thinking it's more likely an issue of chemistry. If Boychuk (or anyone) actually sticks on that line for a while they may be able to form some.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Funk311

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
Good overall effort nearly across the board. MAF was stellar, the PK was great, Martin continues being pre-2011 Martin, the first line created some nice offense, the PP looked dangerous.

The only negative was that Malkin looked a bit disinterested through most of the night.
Thanks i have been putting in a lot of effort night in and night out. Pushing my more grinders agenda.

Overall good win considering we look gassed. We have played alot and traveled many days straight this past week. This is in no way unique to pittsburgh, but i see the schedule being a major factor this year. Will be interesting to see who handles it and who doesnt. The additional stress likely makes it hard for teams to right the ship, with less practice, more travel, and more time together. No chance to walk away and move on. See Rangers....

+ Kunitz and Dupuis
+all defense (aside from letang on the one goal....take a stick) but hey, 58 makes 20 good plays a night and 5 bad ones.
+ Fleury. I hope drama doesn't come of the goalie tandem. It looks great now and seems to be pushing both to play mistake free every night.
+ Glass and Cooke. That is what you are hear for. Maybe not the penalties, but let em know you are out there. Particularly when the game gets rough. Tonight we did all i can ask for from a grit perspective. When the game got rough, we set some ground rules with a few hits and fights.
+Tk for his effort on the year. Not every player in the league will be a star, TK is the kid of guy nearly every team needs.

mini + to the isles. Second time we played and I like the team they are rounding in to. Nice mix of quality throughout the lineup. Play a good game.

- Howie Rose.
- Malkin and Neal. Had some good plays, but overall a little misguided tonight. I like Neal's compete level though. Even when he is off, he is willing to get his hands dirty.
- Refs. The calls were often the right ones, but the game had no flow. This isn't whining, as much as it is commentary that i prefer a few holds and trips which had no impact on the plays go uncalled. Leads to a better game. That said, we made dumb decisions and nearly ever call was within reason.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

+Elmer was borderline awesome tonight. Even the penalty he took wasn't too bad / probably saved a good scoring chance. But that play he had at the end of the 2nd period was excellent. Tracks down a guy on the rush, strips the puck from him and sends him into the boards in virtually one motion... back up ice and scores on the late man slapper. ****ing money.

He's so money he doesn't even know he's money. Elmer showed today why he should never be traded for people named Kuly, Stewart, Seto or [insert inconsistent or non-awesome wingarz here]. Even his intermission interview was awesome and my wife agrees he looks totally special ed / Elmer is the perfect name. She appreciates Letang's flow but Elmer still impressed her with his skillz and youthful demeanor.

+ PK for ensuring the score wasn't 8-3 Islanders.

+ Sid with nose plugs and throwing what's his name on his ass with one arm. Chippy Sid is back.

+ Manchuk had some nice shifts tonight. I still sense he trails Geno and Neal too close on zone entries but during the puck movement phase in the zone he seemed to have a nack for finding a good spot / causing some problems for the D. Keep skating hard and learning that system Manchuk! (And hit the weight pile... every day you're not practicing, do some squats and core exercises and drink some EAS after, so we can call you manchuk for real. Way too light on your skates.)

- Team Discipline sucked donkey balls most of the night. At points I thought we might be in for another turd-storm of a game.

- Refs were dog **** early. That call on Neal behind the goal was one of the worst ticky-tack calls I've seen in a while. Not only did he not cross-check the guy he didn't even hit him with his stick. He just shoved him with his glove with one hand. WTF. Stuff is being called way too close right now. Doesn't even feel like hockey at times. This is a contact sport... allow some damn incidental contact / a little chippyness.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-05-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:49 PM
BeauKnows19

++ Fleury. Played outstanding. I was luck enough to get seats right on the glass and to see those saves right in front of you is amazing. He had great positioning an is just so flexible and athletic, which I got a real appreciation for tonight. Also, he threw me a puck during warm ups so a pretty great night for me.

+Martin, seriously he's a whole new defender. He looks more confident out there and is just playing great.
+Despres. Took a few penalties, but otherwise is looking great. I'm starting to wonder what's gonna happen when Nisky comes back. Because Despres isn't just playing great defensively, but also contributing to the offense.

-islanders fans. They were all up banging on the glass and cheering when Crosby was hurt. That's just disrespectful. The place was louder when he was down on the ice than it was when they scored their goals. And, when he came back out of the locker room, they were booing him. Seriously, a player returning from the locker room after getting injured, and they Boo'd him. I'm not even sure if Flyers fans would do that.

BeauKnows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Will Hunting

-Malkin was horrific. Seriously? Crazy passes everywhere and his one-timer is just not working. He was very quiet all night long. He wasnīt killing those numerous penalties, so he should use that he was more fresh. Didnīt happen.

-Neal is a scoring machine and was backchecking well. Those stupid penalties cost him a clear plus.

-Sid was OK, he was fast and making clean passes. He was defensively responsible and made a solid job when on PK.

-Sutter was excellent. I mean our best player besides Fleury in this one. This was a type of game where heīs so effective. We were under pressure most of the time for the first time this season. Sutter handled all defensive duties and was dangerous on the rushes. His game is just coming, itīs getting better and better last three games or so.

-Fleury Phenomenal performance. He denied Grabnerīs breakaway, numerous Tavaresī chances and that save on Matt Martin was absolutely crazy. Itīs worth a gif.

-Despres continues to establish his name in big NHL

-Great win, we were a bit lucky, but it feels good.

EDIT: Yeah, honorable mention for P.Martin. I trust him now.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:57 PM
chethejet

Good win and Fleury was good in his angles. Stayed strong and had a good glove hand working. Lovejoy is just not someone who helps unless a rash of injuries. Bortuzzo and Despres add nice size and physicality to the back line. Nisky comes back trade Lovejoy if you can. I know sometimes the young guys look a little rocky, but they add a dimension that keeps opposing wingers from charging into the zone with no one hitting them. A good game and glad to be away from the Island for awhile. Yes and martin played a good game.

chethejet is offline   Reply With Quote