HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 08:56 PM
racerjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Brodeur shouldn't have even been on the team.
Just curious who you would have brought then, and who you would have started.

Also thought I would mention luit was just on the radio and basically said he didn't like the way the article was written, and the quotes made it sound like a much worse situation than it is. Just in case anyone was curious.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFD22 View Post
Proposal:

TO TOR: Luongo + Kesler

TO VAN: Kessel + Bozak + Franson
So...

Luongo = Bozak + Franson
Kesler = Kessel

In what world would we do this? Seriously, that is awful.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

vCash: 50
Quote:
Proposal:

So the Canucks give up the two best players in the deal and downgrade significantly?
Sounds amazing.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Quote:
Proposal:

Wouldn't trade Kesler for that package straight up. Kesler brings much more to that table than any of those players, his contract status along with the position he plays and his two-way game gives him much more value to the Vancouver organization than Kessel. Bozak and Franson don't change my view on things. Kesler is the most valuable piece to the Canucks' he's the heart and soul of the team.

This isn't a knock on Kessel whatsoever, he's an extremely skilled player who's criminally underrated. Toronto fans, keep this guy, find him a centre and you guys will be good in no time.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:12 PM

Assuming Weiss won't re-sign in FLA:

To Fla: Luongo + Ballard + Raymond

To Van: Weiss + Weaver + Upshall

Vancouver gets pieces it can use now, Florida gets a long-term piece for a soon to be UFA while dumping an awful contract in Upshall.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

^ Take out Raymond and Upshall and I'd do it.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:15 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Wouldn't trade Kesler for that package straight up. Kesler brings much more to that table than any of those players, his contract status along with the position he plays and his two-way game gives him much more value to the Vancouver organization than Kessel. Bozak and Franson don't change my view on things. Kesler is the most valuable piece to the Canucks' he's the heart and soul of the team.

This isn't a knock on Kessel whatsoever, he's an extremely skilled player who's criminally underrated. Toronto fans, keep this guy, find him a centre and you guys will be good in no time.
Kesler has more goals in a season than ''elite premier amazing goal scorer'' Kessel has in a season and does everything else better, Kesler is better in literally every area of the sport than Kessel and plays a MUCH more important position. So I would totally agree, I would not trade Kesler for those 3 players, especially since Bozak and Franson are really just depth/throw in players.

Adding Luongo is just laughable.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

Vancouver gets pieces it can use now, Florida gets a long-term piece for a soon to be UFA while dumping an awful contract in Upshall.
Dont need Weaver, even as a 15th defenseman buried in the ECHL somewhere.

We dont need upshaw either. We have all kinds of grinders.

Weiss for Luongo sounds good to me. You can have ballard but you cant have Raymond.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Kesler has more goals in a season than ''elite premier amazing goal scorer'' Kessel has in a season and does everything else better, Kesler is better in literally every area of the sport than Kessel and plays a MUCH more important position. So I would totally agree, I would not trade Kesler for those 3 players, especially since Bozak and Franson are really just depth/throw in players.

Adding Luongo is just laughable.
Kesler is generational talent at the Selke level. Hes a poor mans Datsyuk , and that guys going to the hall of fame.

Kessel is a tag line joke in a trade straight up for Kesler.

If we were to somehow trade our best all around player, it would have to be something like this.

Kesler for Kessel , Kadri and Gardiner.

Even then my fellow Nuck fans probably flame me.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:20 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:

So Vancouver gives up an elite goal tender, an everyday #4-6 defenseman and a top 6 forward, for a pending UFA centre, a salary dump and a depth defenseman?

I'll pass.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Kesler is generational talent at the Selke level. Hes a poor mans Datsyuk , and that guys going to the hall of fame.

If we were to somehow trade our best all around player, it would have to be something like this.

Edit: Wow did I read that wrong. Actually agree with you.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:24 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The original reply was based on you claiming he had a poor international record.

Now you're saying he won it, but looked bad?

The stigma won't come off till he won? he won the olympics, that was my biggest problem....I won't rehash the playoffs, been tired of that for 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Interesting? Did you not see brodeur play in those games? Talk about interesting. He got outplayed by Lu.
Quote:
What you actually saw was Luongo stealing the starting job from the best goalie of our generation and guiding a fragile team to a gold medal.

People argue that our team was stacked compared to others but the reality is that the same team with Brodeur in net lost to the US a week earlier which is why Luongo was getting starts at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I guess people see what they want to see all right.
He's probably the first gold medal winning goalie to be judged on style points.
Easy there gents. Just an observation I made, I was not the only person, fan or media type to have made that comment. The ball is in Lou's court, he has to steal a win when he absolutely has to win. Isn't that what the true greats had to do? Parent, Bower, Dryden, Roy, Plante? I also have said I think he is a good goalie, one that can win you a cup with the right players around him. I personally think and just my opinion that Schneider could yield the pieces to put this team over the edge. Complain to me all you want but some how, some way you have to get beyond maybe two of St.Louis, Chicago, LA and maybe San Jose. I would rather have Lou in net along with the pieces I could get for Cory.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:27 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:

Agreed, how many players can play Selke level defence and still put up 41 goals... on the second line with all that PK duty and physical play. He's the total complete hockey player and a leader that plays through injuries and signed long-term at a fair price.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Agreed, how many players can play Selke level defence and still put up 41 goals... on the second line with all that PK duty and physical play. He's the total complete hockey player and a leader that plays through injuries and signed long-term at a fair price.
Yep. Such an ideal player for a contending team, would never trade him for Kessel, even if Kessel was signed to an identical contract.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:41 PM
RECsGuy*

Panthers, Islanders and Capitals all gave up at least 3 goals tonight, each of their starting goalies had a sub-0.900 SV%, and they all lost.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415287

SCHNEIDER'S AGENT CONCERNED ABOUT GOALIE'S PLAYING TIME

Quote:
While Vancouver Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider hasn't spoken much about Roberto Luongo making four straight starts for the club, his agent Mike Liut shared his concerns about the situation.

Liut told The Vancouver Sun on Monday that he hopes that the Luongo trade saga can play out sooner rather than later.

"Our concern is we were hoping that this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games," Liut told the paper. "We are only interested in resolution, we are not going to get into the finger-pointing game and to that end you have to take a step back and you have to give them latitude to make a business decision."
Quote:
But he still wants Schneider to get his share of the workload. "If they are both there for the entire season, and it's a 48-game season, and Roberto plays 40 games, that's a disaster," Liut said. "That's an extreme and I don't think that's going to happen, but certainly the sooner the better.
Quote:
"What you have is two goalies and there's only one net and you are trying to trade one of them. So you have to play him. Now it's four games in a row, does that give you some concern at the same time? Sure, because with a player like Cory you want to see him play every night."

Old
02-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:

read it wrong thought you meant Kesler was going to the HHOF.

Still, Kesler isn't worth no where near Kessel Gardiner and Kadri.

Last edited by Kelly: 02-05-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post

Hodgson 2.0

Old
02-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Hodgson 2.0
Canucks got too many good god dam players lol. This is one reason why no one could ice a real all-star team in the NHL if it was possible, everyone would be crying about ice time.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:

I guess Schneider expects the starting role is to be handed to him?

You play the better goalie, period. On top of it all, you DON'T trade the better goalie to make the other one happy. That's some stupid remarks by his agent, hopefully he wasn't echoing Schneider.

Last edited by Kelly: 02-05-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
kihei

vCash: 4108
Quote:

The choir singing to the converted. Yet again.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Vorkosh

I don't see Luongo's Value going down at all this off-season if that's when he gets traded. The simple explanation is as follows

Let's say there are 5 teams interested

Let's say all 5 teams are with the same mindset as each other "Gillis has to trade Luongo cheap because they can't afford 2 goalies"

Okay, so each of those 5 teams now has a 20% chance of getting Luongo.

By delaying, one of those 5 teams will start to crack and be like.. well.. I want Luongo, why would I gamble with what team Gillis will trade him to, when I can up my offer and make him trade Luongo to my team? And he'll up the offer slightly to ensure he gets a 100% chance that he lands Luongo

Gillis then takes his offer and uses it to increase the other 4 teams offers and this cycle continues to repeat until 1 of 2 things happen

All 5 teams drop out because Gillis is asking too much or Gillis gets his perceived value and pulls the trigger

Vancouver truly is in the driver's seat here, the other teams that want him will crack either from internal pressure, or fan pressure to win games

Old
02-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Petes2424

Quote:

You have to hope this doesnt come from Schneider. This can get all kind of fun if it did.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Numbers

Almost every team is at the 10 game mark, I think this is the first check point in the season where management evaluates what they have in their team. I think between now and the trade deadline Luongo talk is going to pick up significantly. In a shortened season management is going to need to make choices sooner then later, before their respective teams fall into a hole they cannot dig themselves out of.

These 2 teams currently are poised to make playoffs lacking good goaltending.

New York I.
Detroit

Playoffs teams a year ago struggling, sub 0.900 goaltending.

Florida
Washington

Teams experiencing average goaltending, currently in playoff contention, maybe looking for upgrade near deadline.

Toronto
Tampa Bay
Edmonton

Wild card teams

Winnipeg - Pavlec sub 0.900
Chicago - Crawford good numbers now, but coming off in consistent season
Philadelphia - only of want changes in offseason

Last edited by Numbers: 02-05-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 11:16 PM

Guys, I'm a Canucks fan and I think we should be ecstatic to get that kind of return.

I forgot that FLA would have to throw a goalie over...

To FLA: Luongo + Ballard + Raymond

To VAN: Weiss + Weaver + Upshall + Theodore

Quote:
Dont need Weaver, even as a 15th defenseman buried in the ECHL somewhere.

We dont need upshaw either. We have all kinds of grinders.

Weiss for Luongo sounds good to me. You can have ballard but you cant have Raymond.
Weaver and Garrison have actually played very effectively for two seasons as a shutdown pairing in the NHL. That is why I have interest in Weaver.

Getting him evens out our LD vs RD problem.

It helps that Weaver only makes $1.1M this year and next and moves Ballard at $4.25M out for those two seasons while arguably making our defense better (by the fact that everyone fits together - assuming Edler and Tanev work well as a pair).

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
^ Take out Raymond and Upshall and I'd do it.
I highly doubt the Panthers would take on both Luongo and Ballard's contracts without sending some salary back. Upshall is on a terrible contract and that is part of the incentive for making the trade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's your Canucks roster with everyone healthy after the trade:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Weiss - Kassian/Upshall
Wiese - Lappy - Upshall/Kassian/Maholtra
Volpatti - Ebbet

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Weaver
Barker/Alberts

Schneider
Theodore

I know that this makes the Canucks a better team now, assuming Schneider can handle the load. I'm not sure Florida would do it.

Closed Thread