HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers @ Devils | 2/5/13 | 6 Goalie System Brah!

View Poll Results: 3 Stars of the Game
The dethroned King 11 6.55%
Del Zaster 31 18.45%
Staalsy wasn't bad! 16 9.52%
McWhat? 3 1.79%
Strawman 13 7.74%
Oh god, it's Gilroy 2 1.19%
Unemployed Stu 12 7.14%
Biron and Eminger 22 13.10%
Gabinvisble 6 3.57%
Nash oh Nash, where art thou 6 3.57%
Beaver 3 1.79%
lol Stepan 2 1.19%
Hags has wheels 16 9.52%
JT Jesus 79 47.02%
Chris... something. he was awesome 86 51.19%
Pyatt the Meh 2 1.19%
Brian Benched 4 2.38%
Aaron Bleed 6 3.57%
Jeff Faceoffman 4 2.38%
The New Guy 20 11.90%
Sullivan 10 5.95%
The 93-94 Rangers 56 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-05-2013, 09:53 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Replace the 14 million in cap space with player who can make a difference. For all the crap Nash gets he is a pure difference maker on most shifts.
I think a player needs to bank in some goals before they're called a "difference maker."

We're really going to do that with Nash and his 2 goals?

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:54 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Richards has points in 6 out of 9 games. By far our most consistent forward.

Not sure why he's getting blamed.
That is exactly what I said. That people will just look at the stats, say he is producing, and excuse him. He looks bad. He's a frustrating, overrated player with a huge contract.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

vCash: 50
Remember guys, Thursday is our first game against a bad team

Time to explode

02-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Miller was one of the few bright spots tonight.

If Nash finished on his chance early in the 2nd, we have a different game entirely.

Definitely, missing some "jam" and "fire". Everyone looks content with mediocrity.
The lack of Fire and Jam are two of the biggest problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch2McDonagh27 View Post
Girardi plays a steadier game than McTruck at this time. McDonagh is more talented, and has a higher ceiling, but Girardi brings that steady, calmness to the D. He's kind of the glue to our D. He's not flashy, but he's very valuable because of his consistency. McD has made a few mistakes the last few games, which is uncharacteristic......but yet he has
Very much agree. Girardi is the rock and glue of our defense.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post

Time to explode
Not sure if serious.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leetch2McDonagh27

Quote:
Richards has points in 6 out of 9 games. By far our most consistent forward.

Not sure why he's getting blamed.
what games are you watching? He has points....but for the amount of ice-time and being our # 1 center, he's looked terrible out there. Uninterested, lackadaisical, and unmotivated play. Lazy passes, unmotivated, and a total liability in our own zone. Just because he makes 1 good pass per game and that ends up in a goal (Kreider 2nite, which was all his shot, and Nash's goal (vs TB), which was all Nash himself) does not amount to him playing well.

Leetch2McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

Quote:

Time to explode
Fishsticks actually look pretty good this year.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
That is exactly what I said. That people will just look at the stats, say he is producing, and excuse him. He looks bad. He's a frustrating, overrated player with a huge contract.
He's here to produce. He's doing that. He's not here to provide Jam, throw his weight around, or make a difference on every single shift.

People forgot what a number one center looked like between the mid 90's and Brad Richards (long time right?). Oftentimes it looks alot like numbers. We have Ryan Callahan to be a pistol in the top 6. For the 1st liners I want numbers.

02-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:

Time to explode
The Islanders are a bad team?

If the Islanders are a bad team, what does that make the Rangers who have less points?

I was at the Isles game tonight, they certainly looked like they had more fire and passion then I've seen out of the Rangers lately.

Underestimating an opponent is a surefire way to get a loss.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Girardi plays a steadier game than McTruck at this time. McDonagh is more talented, and has a higher ceiling, but Girardi brings that steady, calmness to the D. He's kind of the glue to our D. He's not flashy, but he's very valuable because of his consistency. McD has made a few mistakes the last few games, which is uncharacteristic......but yet he has
You can't be serious... Girardi has been the worst of our top 4 so far this year. He is always giving the puck away in our zone while trying to clear it, I'd hardly call that calmness. He is not better than McDonagh or Staal. He certainly makes our defense better though.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Do you guys know why Richards hasn't looked great so far? Because the power ply has lacked cohesion.

As Brad Richards goes, so goes the power play, and vice versa. I have said this for over a year now. If our PP improves, so will people's perception of Brad's play.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
what games are you watching? He has points....but for the amount of ice-time and being our # 1 center, he's looked terrible out there. Uninterested, lackadaisical, and unmotivated play. Lazy passes, unmotivated, and a total liability in our own zone. Just because he makes 1 good pass per game and that ends up in a goal (Kreider 2nite, which was all his shot, and Nash's goal (vs TB), which was all Nash himself) does not amount to him playing well.
You're really ready for Derek Stepan as our #1 center. Forget not playing great, I'd take Brad Richards on mustard gas over Stepan at 1C.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
segmentation fault

SO, like, whats it gonna take for all of us to agree there is a legitimate problem with this team? And its not just the PP.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:00 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
You can't be serious... Girardi has been the worst of our top 4 so far this year. He is always giving the puck away in our zone while trying to clear it, I'd hardly call that calmness.
I think Del Z can definitely be worse than Girardi..take this game for example.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:00 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Richards has still the only one producing. There's a tendency on this board to throw the only guy scoring under the bus because the team in general isn't scoring.

If we were to get rid of Richards and Gaborik as you're implying we'd be back in the Christensen days.

I'm not ready to build the entire offense around a guy that has 2 goals in 9 games.

Even if he were scoring, you know who already tried that? Columbus. 30th in the league last year.
Not that I agree with building around Nash, but Columbus tried it while drafting Zherdev and then giving up on him, drafting Filatov and giving up on him and generally not drafting/developing players well. They didn't have Lundqvist, Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto, Callahan, Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Miller already installed around him when they decided to "build" around him. In this case, if we were to have 15M to spend rather than having Gaborik/Richards, there would at least be some frame work in place. Again, I'm not agreeing with the idea, but it would be a bit different from Columbus' situation, to be fair.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Gaborik is infuriating. This is why I wouldn't re-sign him and hence would deal him over the off season. Too inconsistent, soft and relies too much on other players to deserve another long term deal which he will get on the open market.

Richards still hasn't looked good this season. Possible buyout? I wouldn't be totally opposed to it.
Gaborik led both team with 5 shots on goal. He just couldn't get one to pop. Guy was the Rangers offense last season. 2 40 goal seasons for the Rangers. How is he so infuriating?

Richards made an incredible play on the Krieder goal. Looked like Nylander feeding Jargon off the rush.

I'm not so ready to jump on these guys. Though this game was more bad bounces than anything.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Replace the 14 million in cap space with player who can make a difference. For all the crap Nash gets he is a pure difference maker on most shifts.
I agree.

Nash at least gives a ****. He throws his body around. Hes trying to get through the opposition with the puck.

Richards and Gaborik have no guts. No heart. No accountability. Richards is starting to decline. He gets an assist tonight because he hands the puck off to Kreider who was flying tonight and who owns Brodeur (4 goals in 7 games).

When "best players" aren't best players, teams don't win games.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leetch2McDonagh27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
More JAM, bro.

We'll be the grindiest group of grinders to ever grind a grinding goal.
i'd be down for more JAM.....lets fire Torts and bring in Laviolette? Oh wait, he's under contract. Maybe we can trade Torts to Philly for Laviolette straight up. Might just do the trick...since both teams suck arse now and could use a shake up

Old
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Not that I agree with building around Nash, but Columbus tried it while drafting Zherdev and then giving up on him, drafting Filatov and giving up on him and generally not drafting/developing players well. They didn't have Lundqvist, Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto, Callahan, Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Miller already installed around him when they decided to "build" around him. In this case, if we were to have 15M to spend rather than having Gaborik/Richards, there would at least be some frame work in place. Again, I'm not agreeing with the idea, but it would be a bit different from Columbus' situation, to be fair.
And what exactly are we spending that 15M on? Sorry but a Crosby, Malkin, Giruox, Stamkos, or Toews isn't falling to free agency.

A Richards caliber player is about the best we're getting on the market.

The best center out there will be Ryan Getzlaf. I don't think he's any better and it would be for more money. But he's big though, so lots of Jam amirite?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
SO, like, whats it gonna take for all of us to agree there is a legitimate problem with this team? And its not just the PP.
Honestly there isn't much right going on now so I think we should just say everything and be done with it.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Well if you think about it, on average our 6 goalies have a 0.5 GAA this game, that's not bad!

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Gaborik led both team with 5 shots on goal. He just couldn't get one to pop. Guy was the Rangers offense last season. 2 40 goal seasons for the Rangers. How is he so infuriating?

Richards made an incredible play on the Krieder goal. Looked like Nylander feeding Jargon off the rush.

I'm not so ready to jump on these guys. Though this game was more bad bounces than anything.
Because Gaborik doesn't "dangle" or do other crowd pleasing maneuvers. There was a time when hockey was based on results, now with this newer generation it is mostly about aesthetics, and short memories.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:04 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
He's here to produce. He's doing that. He's not here to provide Jam, throw his weight around, or make a difference on every single shift.

People forgot what a number one center looked like between the mid 90's and Brad Richards (long time right?). Oftentimes it looks alot like numbers. We have Ryan Callahan to be a pistol in the top 6. For the 1st liners I want numbers.

Getting points and creating offense are not the same thing. Richards isn't producing in the way that warrants the kind of contract or ice time he has. I'm not looking for him to throw his weight around or provide jam and nothing I've written suggest that. I'm looking for him to actually play like a top center. He's simply not. He looks like a 2C. Stepan looks like a 3C, if that, right now. No, obviously, I wouldn't want Stepan anywhere near the 1C, but Richards doesn't look like it right now either and he's not going to get any younger or better. I was disappointed in Richards last year but the team did so well that I overlooked it and attributed it to him needing time to gel with his new team. And as long as he came through when it mattered, I was content. This year, he looks worse than last.

Old
Leetch2McDonagh27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
You can't be serious... Girardi has been the worst of our top 4 so far this year. He is always giving the puck away in our zone while trying to clear it, I'd hardly call that calmness. He is not better than McDonagh or Staal. He certainly makes our defense better though.
he hasn't been as bad as you describe. He hasn't been last years Girardi yet....but he is still the glue that brings this D together.

Old
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
McDonagh makes far fewer mistakes than Girardi. Plus Girardi goes on long streaks where he plays like really poorly. Staal also has those streaks, but they're not as long. McDonagh is by far our most consistent defenseman.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote