HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXI - Nobody Loves Raymond Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 09:49 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 View Post
Would Jarret Stoll make sense here?
For who?

Old
02-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
For who?
Picks and a low end prospect.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 View Post
Picks and a low end prospect.
Please tell me why LA would do that.

Hint: they wouldn't.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
02-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 938
Would you guys do Keith Ballard for Mark Streit straight up?

Similar cap hit, we get someone to run our powerplay, and he's a UFA after this season, so saves us from having to shed cap space afterwards.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Similar cap hit, we get someone to run our powerplay, and he's a UFA after this season, so saves us from having to shed cap space afterwards.
I would, but I doubt the Isles would.

Upside: as you said we get a PP quarterback and someone who can play on the right side (so Edler can go back to playing on his more comfortable side).

Downside: we lose a physical guy who has very good chemistry with Tanev.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post

Upside: as you said we get a PP quarterback and someone who can play on the right side (so Edler can go back to playing on his more comfortable side).

+1
This is the best I have seen Ballard since he came here. There is no guarantee striet fits with the team.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I would yes. Outside of that one angry NYI fan from the main boards, I doubt they would.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:00 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
A good point. Whatever happened to journalistic integrity?
The internet killed it

(samjam pulled the trigger)

Old
02-05-2013, 11:33 PM
DJOpus

Quote:

I'd do it for sure... Selling high on Ballard and getting a righty to boot.

Streit would possibly be our best defenseman, he's very underrated.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

I wouldn't. Streit may fill a situational need, but I'm not sure he's someone you go to war with in the playoffs. Ballard, for whatever he is, is a gamer. It's a tough call though... A lot of people aren't high on Ballard so they will favour Streit.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Gillis has usually targeted younger player in trade. Ballard was 28. Garrison 27. Hamhuis 27. Oldest was Sundin, but I think that was a special case. Usually, his acquisitions have erred on the side of prime age players or younger.

@DJOpus: Streit is a lefty.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I wouldn't. Streit may fill a situational need, but I'm not sure he's someone you go to war with in the playoffs. Ballard, for whatever he is, is a gamer. It's a tough call though... A lot of people aren't high on Ballard so they will favour Streit.

@DJOpus: Streit is a lefty.
Yeah, it's not a perfect trade for the Canucks, but Ballard isn't someone who will be getting 20+ minutes in the playoffs.
Streit replaces what we lost in Ehrhoff and gives us an overall better player who is aging.

We greatly improve on offense while losing a physical edge. (and it helps us get rid of Ballard's contract which we'd need to move in the off-season anyway)

And yeah, he's a lefty, but he has experience playing on the right side.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:57 PM
RobsonStreet

Quote:

I suspect Gillis would willingly trade Ballard's contract next summer for a bust prospect (think Sauve or Tochkin) just to be rid of his contract and avoid a buyout. For a top 4 defenseman with an expiring contract? I'd do that deal in a heartbeat because frankly, it would never happen.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:06 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
The internet killed it

(samjam pulled the trigger)
Wouldn't give him that much credit.

02-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Yeah, it's not a perfect trade for the Canucks, but Ballard isn't someone who will be getting 20+ minutes in the playoffs.
Streit replaces what we lost in Ehrhoff and gives us an overall better player who is aging.

We greatly improve on offense while losing a physical edge. (and it helps us get rid of Ballard's contract which we'd need to move in the off-season anyway)

And yeah, he's a lefty, but he has experience playing on the right side.

For one, I don't believe Ballard's contract will be that hard to "get rid of", as others do. If you look around the league, a lot of teams have shoddy D corps comparatively. There really is a dearth of talent out there. Just this last year, Filip Kuba got 4m... Think about that.

It's a tough call, but I wouldn't do it. Streit hasn't played a meaningful game in years. We've see what can happen when a player has not been playing for a winner for a while, and comes here and struggles greatly to fit in. That danger is there with Streit.

I have a feeling Gillis will give Ballard is one true shot this year, before he deals him in the offseason. Just like he's doing with Malhotra and Raymond, before they will be allowed to walk.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:06 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Bolduc waived. Should Gillis claim him? He is a center!

I am thinking buy out Malhotra and add him to coaching/scouting?

Old
02-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I am thinking buy out Malhotra and add him to coaching/scouting?
No reason to buy him out. He's an upcoming UFA.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:11 AM
keslerburrows

Would any of you guys be against picking up Devin Setoguchi? Guys value is at an all time low as he has been demoted to the fourth line. Couldn't hurt to maybe pick him up for a salary dump+pick/prospect. Reasonable contract for the next couple years too. I doubt Minnesota would be asking for a forward in return as they are itching to recall Jason Zucker who is tearing up the AHL. There defense on the other hand is a complete train wreck..

Old
02-06-2013, 03:08 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Would any of you guys be against picking up Devin Setoguchi? Guys value is at an all time low as he has been demoted to the fourth line. Couldn't hurt to maybe pick him up for a salary dump+pick/prospect. Reasonable contract for the next couple years too. I doubt Minnesota would be asking for a forward in return as they are itching to recall Jason Zucker who is tearing up the AHL. There defense on the other hand is a complete train wreck..

Setoguchi is the type of guy that will always frustrate. He'll score in bunches, but then be invisible otherwise for long stretches. If it was a pure dump, a la Ehrhoff, than yeah sure. Otherwise, what could you give that would keep your expectations really low on this guy?

Old
02-06-2013, 03:43 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Setoguchi has another year after this @ 3mil. Reminds me of Cheechoo. no thanks.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Proto

Viznosky, Viznovksky, Viznovsky.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:

Streit is a much better player than Ballard. He puts up numbers every year on a bad team but was also very good in Montreal. Still i can understand concerns about team chemistry. However if you want more offensive he is your guy.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
For one, I don't believe Ballard's contract will be that hard to "get rid of", as others do. If you look around the league, a lot of teams have shoddy D corps comparatively. There really is a dearth of talent out there. Just this last year, Filip Kuba got 4m... Think about that.

It's a tough call, but I wouldn't do it. Streit hasn't played a meaningful game in years. We've see what can happen when a player has not been playing for a winner for a while, and comes here and struggles greatly to fit in. That danger is there with Streit.

I have a feeling Gillis will give Ballard is one true shot this year, before he deals him in the offseason. Just like he's doing with Malhotra and Raymond, before they will be allowed to walk.
Whether Ballard gets his one true shot or not is irrelevant, we need to move him in the offseason. I've crunched the numbers and no matter how you look at it once of Ballard or Booth needs to be moved in the offseason. Since our primary need is scoring rather than defense, that makes Ballard the candidate. If Booth under performs this season he could be on the move too, but we'll be using that cap space to bring in an upgrade at forward.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:01 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Whether Ballard gets his one true shot or not is irrelevant, we need to move him in the offseason. I've crunched the numbers and no matter how you look at it once of Ballard or Booth needs to be moved in the offseason. Since our primary need is scoring rather than defense, that makes Ballard the candidate. If Booth under performs this season he could be on the move too, but we'll be using that cap space to bring in an upgrade at forward.
I'd prefer to see Booth go. I'm pretty sure Jensen will be starting with the Nucks next season.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I'd be curious to see how you draw that conclusion, as I have run the numbers and this is simply false.

If Ballard and Luongo are moved and Jensen/Lack make the team, the Canucks could have roughly 7 million to sign a 13th forward and two defensemen (assuming reasonable rates re-signing a few players):

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.700m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Alexander Edler ($5.000m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Chris Tanev ($1.350m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,364,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $6,935,833
Conceivably the Canucks could even keep Ballard in that scenario, but with the kind of cap discounts I expect to see on players this summer as teams struggle to stay under the cap, the flexibility to sign some players and make upgrades to the roster would be better in my opinion.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

I just posted in your trade thread, but it doesn't seem that active so I thought I'd just duplicate here. How would you guys value Kesler in a trade to Nashville? More out of curiosity than anything.

Closed Thread