HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

How bad does Pegula look now?

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 10:38 PM
wshahbaz

vCash: 500
How bad does Pegula look now?

See title.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:42 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

None of us know what's going through his head. We assume we do but the fact is we don't. For now, he still pretty damn good in my eyes. If Lindy is here past the end of the season though...

Well opinions change...

Old
02-05-2013, 10:42 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'm not seeing why this falls on the owner?

It's the GM's job to make decisions on the bench boss. Regier has the roster in a decent position now, and going forward, to take progressive steps to put a winning product on the ice. The coach is the one who's supposed to manage these bodies accordingly, handle ToI and roster situations with regards to who dresses and sits, who plays in what situations, etc.

Placing blame on a guy who has done nothing but inject financial support and enthusiasm into the organization is annoying. I don't want my owner making hockey decisions, especially when said owner has no hockey background.

Stop complaining to complain, and pick appropriate and legitimate things to whine about. Our owner isn't one.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

If Regier wanted to fire Ruff, I think Terry would give the go ahead even though he's a Lindy fan boy. I don't think he'd get in the way.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:44 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

It's the GM's job to make decisions on the bench boss. Regier has the roster in a decent position now, and going forward, to take progressive steps to put a winning product on the ice. The coach is the one who's supposed to manage these bodies accordingly, handle ToI and roster situations with regards to who dresses and sits, who plays in what situations, etc.

Placing blame on a guy who has done nothing but inject financial support and enthusiasm into the organization is annoying. I don't want my owner making hockey decisions, especially when said owner has no hockey background.

Stop complaining to complain, and pick appropriate and legitimate things to whine about. Our owner isn't one.
Said it much better than me.

Sentiment echoed though.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

Most of what he does and says looks and sounds pretty good still. It's his infatuation with Ruff and Regier that's the issue. I think Ted Black's a smart enough guy that if asked in private with a guarantee that Terry would never know, he would say, "Sack that front office, ASAP." Unfortunately, when you make gazillions of dollars because a billionaire pays you, you tend to tell that owner what that owner wants to hear.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Royisgone

Quote:

No.

Given the unique length of Ruff's tenure and his relationship with Regier, a decision to finally give him the ax is going to have to come straight from the top.

That means Pegula.

And what's with this "Regier has the roster in a decent position now" comment?

I see few pieces on this team that would be desired on a top Cup contender, like the Hawks or Bruins at the moment.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:51 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Simply put... Today Pegula doesn't look bad at all. I don't blame him for wanting to retain Regier and Ruff. He wants to see what they can or can't do under HIS ownership. He's getting an eyeful since he took the reins. Now in the summer, I EXPECT sackings... Ruff, Regier or both.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Everything is good, nothing to discuss here, move along!

Old
02-05-2013, 10:55 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
No.

Given the unique length of Ruff's tenure and his relationship with Regier, a decision to finally give him the ax is going to have to come straight from the top.

That means Pegula.

And what's with this "Regier has the roster in a decent position now" comment?

I see few pieces on this team that would be desired on a top Cup contender, like the Hawks or Bruins at the moment.
Yes.

Sorry - Regier has the organization in decent position. Not the current roster, but when you look down the road, you see Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, McCabe, Pysyk, McNabb, Cat, plus the likes of Hodgson, Vanek, Foligno, Pominville, Myers, Sekera, and Ennis.

I hope to god that you didn't enter this season with aspirations of a Cup run. Unrealistic.

We've been set up to grow this team into what we've all wanted: balanced team with centers who can make an impact, dynamic wingers, and blueline depth.

When you look at my Dream '16 team, provided that the youth grows as they should, we're missing toughness on the back end. That's it. And we have time to address that issue, especially if we're looking at 2016 (or in that area) as the year we start to become legitimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Most of what he does and says looks and sounds pretty good still. It's his infatuation with Ruff and Regier that's the issue. I think Ted Black's a smart enough guy that if asked in private with a guarantee that Terry would never know, he would say, "Sack that front office, ASAP." Unfortunately, when you make gazillions of dollars because a billionaire pays you, you tend to tell that owner what that owner wants to hear.
I don't think he's infatuated with them. He just didn't want to come in and immediately clean house - he wanted to see for himself what he had/didn't have. Hopefully he has done that.

Last edited by jBuds: 02-05-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 10:55 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
His failure to address the on ice issues aren't going to endear him to people much longer.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
His failure to address the on ice issues aren't going to endear him to people much longer.
What do you realistically want from Terry Pegula at this current moment? You want him to start knocking doors down, demanding we trade for 12 guys this season? ("you" being the hypothetical fan who's complaining about Pegula, not you specifically, sba)

This wasn't the year we were going to make a run. I'm willing to be very patient and let our roster/organization grow as planned, provided we get a coach in here who can work that situation.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Simply put... Today Pegula doesn't look bad at all. I don't blame him for wanting to retain Regier and Ruff. He wants to see what they can or can't do under HIS ownership. He's getting an eyeful since he took the reins. Now in the summer, I EXPECT sackings... Ruff, Regier or both.
You sum up the situation well.

The key here is if and when Pegula gets wise and makes the sackings he should have made (IMO) when he bought the team.

Major changes involving Ruff and/or Regier (as you say) cannot be delayed beyond this off-season, if Pegula wants to maintain any sort of credibility or retain loyalty from the fan base.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

Quote:
Yes.

Sorry - Regier has the organization in decent position. Not the current roster, but when you look down the road, you see Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, McCabe, Pysyk, McNabb, Cat, plus the likes of Hodgson, Vanek, Foligno, Pominville, Myers, Sekera, and Ennis.

I hope to god that you didn't enter this season with aspirations of a Cup run. Unrealistic.

We've been set up to grow this team into what we've all wanted: balanced team with centers who can make an impact, dynamic wingers, and blueline depth.

When you look at my Dream '16 team, provided that the youth grows as they should, we're missing toughness on the back end. That's it.

I don't think he's infatuated with them. He just didn't want to come in and immediately clean house - he wanted to see for himself what he had/didn't have. Hopefully he has done that.
He had a full season last year to see them in action. Darcy did a few (on paper) good things. Of course, Goose for a 1st seems fantastic, until you realize that he didn't do anything to fill that void. A draft pick can't win a faceoff. So I'm not convinced Regier needed to be sacked at the end of the year, but extending him was beyond premature.

As for Ruff...time was up eons ago.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds;
Um, yeah... I'd have to hope a first round playoff exit (including one of the most piss-poor Game 7 performances in NHL history), and then missing the playoffs completely in '11-'12, would have maybe given him a slight clue.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:02 PM
sba

Quote:
What do you realistically want from Terry Pegula at this current moment? You want him to start knocking doors down, demanding we trade for 12 guys this season?

This wasn't the year we were going to make a run. I'm willing to be very patient and let our roster/organization grow as planned, provided we get a coach in here who can work that situation.
I realize your second point. But when all the guy does is build statues and fun parks downtown and pretend there's nothing wrong with his hockey department and disappear when it's going on...it's not going to fly here very long.

If he pops his head out and says SOMETHING about any of this, at least we'd know what he's thinking.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:04 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me View Post
Um, yeah... I'd have to hope a first round playoff exit (including one of the most piss-poor Game 7 performances in NHL history), and then missing the playoffs completely in '11-'12, would have maybe given him a slight clue.
He likely saw the run at the end of last season as a reason to see what happened this year with status quo. It has broken apart; my hope is that our General Manager, who's paid to make these decisions, sees that the team isn't responding to this coach.

I'm perfectly at peace with Pegula being our financial support system, and not meddling in hockey/personnel decisions.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I realize your second point. But when all the guy does is build statues and fun parks downtown and pretend there's nothing wrong with his hockey department and disappear when it's going on...it's not going to fly here very long.

If he pops his head out and says SOMETHING about any of this, at least we'd know what he's thinking.
I get where you're coming from. I don't know if he's pretending there's nothing wrong... he's looking at the end-of-year run from last year as justification for the coach remaining. And remember, we're all of ten games into the season. The season is short, so we're a higher percentage of the season down...but I don't for a second think that he's sitting there as a giddy fan, thinking Ruff is a legend and that Pegula is privileged to have him working for a team he owns, nor do I think he's fine with the results.

I do hope, though, that he sees what the future has in store - or could have in store - and encourages the GM to make the necessary change in coaching. But for the 239th time in this thread alone, I don't want my owner being the one who has to make hockey decisions.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:13 PM
sba

Yeah, I mean I like the guy...but the question is how does he look...right now he looks absent.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

So far, he hasn't done much that I don't like.

I don't want the owner deciding what happens on the ice. I don't want the owner to make rash personnel decisions. I don't particularly want him to be visible during the season unless he has to be.

However, if this season continues the way it has been going so far, Ruff needs to be out the door this summer. If not I will definitely be questioning Pegula. Two-plus seasons of ineptitude is enough of a tryout.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:16 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Yeah, I mean I like the guy...but the question is how does he look...right now he looks absent.
What do you want from him right now? Just curious, not trying to be a ***** at all.

I think he looks like a guy who has given financial stability to an organization that needed it. The team is underperforming and underachieving right now due to the coach; not sure what you'd like him (REALISTICALLY) to do?

Old
02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
So far, he hasn't done much that I don't like.

I don't want the owner deciding what happens on the ice. I don't want the owner to make rash personnel decisions. I don't particularly want him to be visible during the season unless he has to be.

However, if this season continues the way it has been going so far, Ruff needs to be out the door this summer. If not I will definitely be questioning Pegula. Two-plus seasons of ineptitude is enough of a tryout.
Pegula extended Regier this offseason. If Ruff is still here in some crazy scenario beyond this season, you then question Regier - and in turn, question Pegula for trusting Regier when he'd clearly at that point be a dumbass.

We're far away from that moment happening.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
sba

Quote:
What do you want from him right now? Just curious, not trying to be a ***** at all.

I think he looks like a guy who has given financial stability to an organization that needed it. The team is underperforming and underachieving right now due to the coach; not sure what you'd like him (REALISTICALLY) to do?
I just want him to address it, which I think is fair. Considering the lack of accountability at the end of last year (no press conference)...it shouldn't be much for him to give a few soundbytes.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:19 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I just want him to address it, which I think is fair. Considering the lack of accountability at the end of last year (no press conference)...it shouldn't be much for him to give a few soundbytes.
That's not unreasonable. I'd love to hear what he has to say on the matter, as well.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:31 PM
schpaff

Bring out the pitch forks...I want Gollie and Quinn back in charge or any other owner the people sound. This place is unreadable.

The guy has owned the franchise for less than two years...it's like WGR, where's the signature move crap. The changes will happen but to complain about the owner is outrageous.

Closed Thread