HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Goals from the Blue-line.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 09:57 PM
  #1
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 50
Goals from the Blue-line.

I know it's early (very), but it's hard to ignore the play of our D, and how often they jump into the rush! Last year Calgary had the fewest points by defence-man in the league. Very depressing. This was an obvious weakness/problem that thus far, seems to have been addressed with the addition of Hartley's system & Dennis Wideman!

I have a few questions for this thread:
1. What % of our team goals will come from our D this year? (last years & this years % below).
2. Predict goal totals for our top-4 (Jay, Gio, Wide, Brodie)


Last year: 2011/2012

Jaybow: 5
Giordano: 9
Butler: 2
Brodie: 2
Hannan: 2
Smith: 2
Babchuck: 2
Sarich: 1

Total: 25
Total Team Goals: 202
= 12.4%

This year: 2012/2013

Wideman: 2
Jaybow: 2
Giordano: 1
Brodie: 0
Smith: 0
Sarich: 0

Total: 5
Total Team Goals: 20
= 25.0 %

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:01 PM
  #2
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,566
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
I know it's early (very), but it's hard to ignore the play of our D, and how often they jump into the rush! Last year Calgary had the fewest points by defence-man in the league. Very depressing. This was an obvious weakness/problem that thus far, seems to have been addressed with the addition of Hartley's system & Dennis Wideman!

I have a few questions for this thread:
1. What % of our team goals will come from our D this year? (last years & this years % below).
2. Predict goal totals for our top-4 (Jay, Gio, Wide, Brodie)


Last year: 2011/2012

Jaybow: 5
Giordano: 9
Butler: 2
Brodie: 2
Hannan: 2
Smith: 2
Babchuck: 2
Sarich: 1

Total: 25
Total Team Goals: 202
= 12.4%

This year: 2012/2013

Wideman: 2
Jaybow: 2
Giordano: 1
Brodie: 0
Smith: 0
Sarich: 0

Total: 5
Total Team Goals: 20
= 25.0 %
We only had 199 goals last year.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:16 PM
  #3
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 152
Brent Sutter has five years as an NHL coach under his belt. In only one of those seasons has he had a defensemen on his roster that has scored over 33 points. Read into that as you will, but for me personally that is a very telling statistic about how he chooses to utilize his defensemen, and his capability as an NHL head coach.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
  #4
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
We only had 199 goals last year.
NHL.com says we had 202 GF last year: http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
  #5
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,566
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
NHL.com says we had 202 GF last year: http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf
well NHL.com tends to disagree http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...wName=goalsFor

Now I don't know who is right.

Even the goals against is different, one says 226 the other says 217 you would think espn runs the nhl.com website

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:37 PM
  #6
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 67
Bob Hartely is doing a fantastic job so far. Having thar 4th forward jump into the play is giving us the chances we've never had before, thereby inflating our team.

We have the capable blueline as well. Wideman, Bouwmeester, Giordano, and Brodie are 4th forwards when we need them. Even Smith and Butler have played some commendable games in this regard.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:04 PM
  #7
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,628
vCash: 50
Wideman has been great so far, 6 points in 7 games. Mind you, he gets a full minute more of PP time than everyone else but he has really delivered. He's not fast but his positioning is great, and he plays the body a bit as well (at least more so than all the other guys).

Brodie has also been a stud. He's very close to cementing himself as a legitimate top four defensemen. His skating is drool-worthy.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:08 AM
  #8
Abbotsford Heat
Registered User
 
Abbotsford Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,967
vCash: 50
NHL standings are not the actual goals for and goals against. They are the totals of the final scores.

The actual goals for and goals against statistics are goals credited to players though the season.

The difference comes because a shootout winning goal counts as a goal on the scoreboard, but not as a goal for the player who scored it.

Abbotsford Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:16 AM
  #9
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 50
That's the difference between a coach who utilizes players to their proper abilities and strengths and one who tries to force a square into a round peg.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
  #10
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
NHL standings are not the actual goals for and goals against. They are the totals of the final scores.

The actual goals for and goals against statistics are goals credited to players though the season.

The difference comes because a shootout winning goal counts as a goal on the scoreboard, but not as a goal for the player who scored it.
Ahhhh... That makes sense. Thanks

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
  #11
Janks
Pope Janks
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,288
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
That's the difference between a coach who utilizes players to their proper abilities and strengths and one who tries to force a square into a round peg.
Bingo

Janks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:18 AM
  #12
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,608
vCash: 133
I think my favorite part of the new system is that our guys who can score like Gio, Bouw and Wideman (even Brodie) can now jump up into the rush when they have an opportunity.

Its honestly been a total 180 from the kind of D we had last year, and its helped the team a lot. If just one of those guys lights the lamp most nights, we will win a lot more games.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
  #13
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,608
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Wideman has been great so far, 6 points in 7 games. Mind you, he gets a full minute more of PP time than everyone else but he has really delivered. He's not fast but his positioning is great, and he plays the body a bit as well (at least more so than all the other guys).

Brodie has also been a stud. He's very close to cementing himself as a legitimate top four defensemen. His skating is drool-worthy.
I have been very tempted to bump his signing thread on the main board, to induce some well deserved servings of crow.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:21 AM
  #14
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Bruinswagoner #4762
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 50
Quote:
1. What % of our team goals will come from our D this year? (last years & this years % below).
Under Hartley's system, I could see this percentage hover around the 25% mark.

Quote:
2. Predict goal totals for our top-4 (Jay, Gio, Wide, Brodie)
Bouwmeester - 10 goals
Giordano - 7 goals
Wideman - 12 goals
Brodie - 3 goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I have been very tempted to bump his signing thread on the main board, to induce some well deserved servings of crow.
Do you really want to be "that guy"?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:55 AM
  #15
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,608
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Under Hartley's system, I could see this percentage hover around the 25% mark.


Bouwmeester - 10 goals
Giordano - 7 goals
Wideman - 12 goals
Brodie - 3 goals


Do you really want to be "that guy"?
Only reason I haven't lol.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:39 PM
  #16
TherapyforGlencross
Regular HFer
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,546
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Only reason I haven't lol.
Be "that guy!"

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:30 PM
  #17
Flames92
Registered User
 
Flames92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
It is nice to see alot of offence from our D. I like that Hartley gives all our D the green light. They might of resulted in a couple breakaways here and there but im not concerned, it is a learning process to make the proper decision to pinch or not. Hartley really did a 180 on this teams style of play and im liking it

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:26 PM
  #18
CoRD
GO BRUINS GO!!
 
CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the studio
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,432
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I have been very tempted to bump his signing thread on the main board, to induce some well deserved servings of crow.
I say do it.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
  #19
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 50
I wouldn't. It's been seven games. Much too small of a sample size.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:46 PM
  #20
CoRD
GO BRUINS GO!!
 
CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the studio
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,432
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
I wouldn't. It's been seven games. Much too small of a sample size.
That's what they will all say anyways! Might as well stick it to them while we have a chance.

Oh well....

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
  #21
kirant
Kiprusoffarian
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 260
vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Do you really want to be "that guy"?
I Wanna Be The Guy!

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
  #22
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
That's what they will all say anyways! Might as well stick it to them while we have a chance.

Oh well....
Wait until he finishes the season with 30 or so points and then shove it in everyone's faces.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:45 PM
  #23
Flames92
Registered User
 
Flames92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
I always liked the Wideman deal, of course the salary he got was a little high but thats what many teams were gona give him as a free agent (if not more). What hes done to our powerplay has been fantastic. I agree that it is early so I won't judge yet but I will admit that im cautiously optimistic about how our D has been so far.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:00 PM
  #24
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 67
Didn't Sutter say in the beginning of last season that he was going to let defensemen jump into the play? Real NHL coaching looks much different ...

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:04 PM
  #25
nogger
Former 4th liner
 
nogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I have been very tempted to bump his signing thread on the main board, to induce some well deserved servings of crow.
Already done for you.

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.