HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre Mcguire on team 990

Old
07-04-2006, 08:27 AM
turnbuckle*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
it is simple.. if you are purely the best you will be treated like a god.. if you stumble even once you are screwed..

this is why we chant huet! in the stands...

and this is why i've come to the conclusion we should trade half of our roster for ovechkin
Why? So that the crowd will boo more than half the players?

Montreal likes it's heroes; not the only town like that. Do you not think it's not like that in Yankee stadium, or was like that in Veteran's Stadium at Eagles' games? Ask Bill Buckner about the "stumble even once you are screwed" thing.

Yet the Eagles, Yankees and Red Sox haven't had problems getting high-end free agents to play in their cities. Reggie White and TO in Philly - remember that the Eagle fans are the unruly lot that booed Santa Claus. Hell; playing any pro sport in Philly comes with pressure; a pretty unforgiving bunch.

Hab fans were spoiled for 40 years. We were expected to make the playoffs and compete strongly for the Cup each season. Thus we built up high expectations, and we don't accept mediocrity without a fight.

I frankly don't have a problem with most Hab fans - although ones who make the club and any supposed language issues part of their political agenda tend to puzzle me.

I don't speak French very well mainly because I don't have to, so I certainly can't blame a few hockey players for not doing the same, especially ones that already took the time to learn English fluently because they wanted to succeed in hockey.

English is the universal language of hockey whether a pocket of central Canada wants to admit it or not.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
People want players
1-who are suppose to provide some offense to provide it. We never had a 50-goal scorer for a long time now so they don't expect that anymore.
2-Crowd loves a tough team, that hit and and are gritty, reason why Bouillon and Bégin will never get booed.
3-People do not want to see boneheads moves, if you have to make a mistake, either do it without people noticing too much or make it look tougher than it really is, the type of Theo's floaters and Souray's mistakes are not welcome here.
4-Crowd doesn't care about the low key guys like Bonk, the guy wasn't booed at all even though he scored his first goal after his 4505th with the Habs.
5-Crowd will give some time to the rookies.
6-Crowd is especially severe for their own kind, well this is not a hockey trend, is a Quebec trend, either we love criticizing our own or we love them too much.....
7- Nobody cares if you do or don't speak french, nobody ever complained about Markov not even speaking in english, it was and only is about the captain, they should be used to it by now, but they still talk about it
8- But in the end, people want to win....

But in the end, and it always easier to say it when you're not an hockey player, but if I would love the game of hockey, if I'm ready to give it all day in day out, if I'm a talented guy and have confidence that I'll be succesful, but if I want to play in an hockey environnement, I have no idea why I wouldn't at least consider Montreal as a destination.

Sure the medias are there, but arent't they in New York and Toronto? Did they sign some people lately? The ''supposed'' european hater that Don Cherry is, is he still in Toronto, well I'm sure no europeans would like to be scrutinized by him day in and day out, so no europeans will sign over there, it's not like Kubina would sign there...Sure those 110% guys are clowns, and should be taken that way. When Bergeron said that Higgins would never be great 'cause he wasn't here already, you knew then that this show is a spectacle and nothing serious should come out of there. Cherry, though he has some great analysis some time, do the same kind of show as well and people over there adore him 'cause they seem to be more enclined by thinking than the guy gives a show and we're adult enough to take whatever we want to take from him.

And then you hear everybody saying that Montreal is the best place to be when you win......well I guess some people don't want to win that much and yet I hate to believe it's the case.

But in the meantime, we also need to forget about the Habs tradition, how a great team from the past we are and all that ......For heaven's sake, I keep talking to a lot of people about the 86' Cup and they look at me with envy 'cause I've seen another cup than 93.....Do you realize that the young fan base has seen 1 or 2 cups but heard about the past without seeing it. They don't care anymore about the fact we were a great team, they see what we do now and can't believe we were that great. And I hope people will also stop using the excuse that in Montreal we are using to winning so nothing else is acceptable. Again, those people who are booing right now are not use to winning. What have they witnessed that they make it that much more difficult. 2 Stanley Cups and 1 Grey Cup???? We're so spoiled.....My dad used to have 2 Mercedes and 1 Jaguar, those good old days, but I'm driving a Civic today, should I be mad, should I complain, should I live in the past. I decided to accept it and go on and live in this world we're living RIGHT NOW. No, people are booing and are on everybody's case, cause we're stupid and think that by booing a powerplay after 30 seconds or by saying shoot even if our guys has a guy in front of him we will make our team better. People are yelling 'cause we traded Roy, well it's people that booed him that made it possible. Those kind of people should be booed in the first place. You hate that your team is losing but again you made them more nervous by booing them, how is that suppose to become a winning environnement....

But it's not about tradition anymore, it's about 30 teams trying to winning that Cup. It's about different people playing a different game. Sure we can criticized some decisions, I did it myself a thousand times, but at least come with something constructive and let's discuss it. I don't think there's anything bad about having an opinion, just mean that you still care, the day you'll stop caring , well that would be the end of the road.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 07-04-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:03 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
it is simple.. if you are purely the best you will be treated like a god.. if you stumble even once you are screwed..

this is why we chant huet! in the stands...

and this is why i've come to the conclusion we should trade half of our roster for ovechkin
I thought they were chanting "Boo-et". At least I was saying "Boo-et"

Maybe next season if he stumbles it will be more clear.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote