HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 10:16 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Teams experiencing average goaltending, currently in playoff contention, maybe looking for upgrade near deadline.

Toronto
Tampa Bay
Edmonton

Wild card teams

Winnipeg
Chicago
No thanks from Toronto. Go away. Pick on somebody else. You guys are now on the 600th permutation of the possibilities with nary a trade still in sight. Try Columbus--that would at least be novel. Not us.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Guys, I'm a Canucks fan and I think we should be ecstatic to get that kind of return.

I forgot that FLA would have to throw a goalie over...

To FLA: Luongo + Ballard + Raymond

To VAN: Weiss + Weaver + Upshall + Theodore

Weaver and Garrison have actually played very effectively for two seasons as a shutdown pairing in the NHL. That is why I have interest in Weaver.

Getting him evens out our LD vs RD problem.

It helps that Weaver only makes $1.1M this year and next and moves Ballard at $4.25M out for those two seasons while arguably making our defense better (by the fact that everyone fits together - assuming Edler and Tanev work well as a pair).

I highly doubt the Panthers would take on both Luongo and Ballard's contracts without sending some salary back. Upshall is on a terrible contract and that is part of the incentive for making the trade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's your Canucks roster with everyone healthy after the trade:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Weiss - Kassian/Upshall
Wiese - Lappy - Upshall/Kassian/Maholtra
Volpatti - Ebbet

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Weaver
Barker/Alberts

Schneider
Theodore

I know that this makes the Canucks a better team now, assuming Schneider can handle the load. I'm not sure Florida would do it.
Not good for Canucks, Ballard and Raymond are playing pretty decent right now. Weiss is important to Florida and seems to be a pure rental if comes to Vancouver. No need/want Weaver or Upshall.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:21 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
I don't see Luongo's Value going down at all this off-season if that's when he gets traded. The simple explanation is as follows

Let's say there are 5 teams interested

Let's say all 5 teams are with the same mindset as each other "Gillis has to trade Luongo cheap because they can't afford 2 goalies"

Okay, so each of those 5 teams now has a 20% chance of getting Luongo.

By delaying, one of those 5 teams will start to crack and be like.. well.. I want Luongo, why would I gamble with what team Gillis will trade him to, when I can up my offer and make him trade Luongo to my team? And he'll up the offer slightly to ensure he gets a 100% chance that he lands Luongo

Gillis then takes his offer and uses it to increase the other 4 teams offers and this cycle continues to repeat until 1 of 2 things happen

All 5 teams drop out because Gillis is asking too much or Gillis gets his perceived value and pulls the trigger

Vancouver truly is in the driver's seat here, the other teams that want him will crack either from internal pressure, or fan pressure to win games
On the other hand, come playoff time the Canucks have $4+ million in payroll glued to the bench, and lack whatever upgrades to the current roster that have been offered (and declined). I don't think anybody is in the driver's seat here.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
No thanks from Toronto. Go away. Pick on somebody else. You guys are now on the 600th permutation of the possibilities with nary a trade still in sight. Try Columbus--that would at least be novel. Not us.
Nah ill put whoever I want in there, why are you in this thread if that's the case? Haha I know Nonis is liking what he is seeing right now with Luongo, and looking at Kessel without a goal in 10 games. I would not be suprised if Nonis traded Kessel.

Luongo
Booth/Raymond/Higgins
1st

For

Kessel
Scrivens

Old
02-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Silfverberg Snipes

vCash: 477
Quote:
Because you obviously know what Nonis is going to do. There's a reason the words "speculation" and "rumors" are in the title. If you have nothing to contribute why bother posting?

Old
02-05-2013, 10:27 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
On the other hand, come playoff time the Canucks have $4+ million in payroll glued to the bench, and lack whatever upgrades to the current roster that have been offered (and declined). I don't think anybody is in the driver's seat here.
Most teams will have unused cap space going into the playoffs, 4M on the bench is irrelevant.

I'd rather have an elite goalie as insurance then some depth players. Gillis has built an extremely deep roster when healthy.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
No Cap in playoffs, hence Ballard's Capcussion and Bieksa not being traded when Salo was injured a few years back

Old
02-05-2013, 10:31 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Obviously there is going to be speculation involving the Leafs given their goaltending issues last year.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:34 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Most teams will have unused cap space going into the playoffs, 4M on the bench is irrelevant.

I'd rather have an elite goalie as insurance then some depth players. Gillis has built an extremely deep roster when healthy.
Cap space aside, it just isn't an ideal situation to have two elite goaltenders on the playoff roster. If you trust Schneider (and you shouldn't be trading Luongo if you don't) someone like Laich is more valuable to a playoff run than Luongo would be. That's not to say he should be dealt for Laich, but I don't think Gillis is too enthused about the prospect of having this drag past the deadline. Nor should he be.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Obviously there is going to be speculation involving the Leafs given their goaltending issues last year.
That team is a long way from benefiting from a big-money veteran goaltender.

^ That team couldn't benefit from a 4x6 brick wall with a puck-sized hole in the center.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:43 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
Because you obviously know what Nonis is going to do.
No, but your friend Numbers seems to. Discuss it with him above. If you want to play this as a straight Vancouver number, then post this on your team's board. You won't hear a peep from me. On the main board, I think it is fair game to puncture illusions, especially ones that occur over and over again that involve my team.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Numbers

Quote:
No, but your friend Numbers seems to. Discuss it with him above. If you want to play this as a straight Vancouver number, then post this on your team's board. You won't hear a peep from me. On the main board, I think it is fair game to puncture illusions, especially ones that occur over and over again that involve my team.
What if Kessel doesn't score in 15-20 games? And even if he does what do you think his production will end up being this year? Less then 10 goals? I bet Nonis is looking at the NTC that kicks in next year and thinking if he should move this guy now. He loves Luongo. Probably wont happen, but I really wouldn't be suprised if Nonis makes a move like this.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:52 PM
inthewings

Quote:
What if Kessel doesn't score in 15-20 games? And even if he does what do you think his production will end up being this year? Less then 10 goals? I bet Nonis is looking at the NTC that kicks in next year and thinking if he should move this guy now. He loves Luongo. Probably wont happen, but I really wouldn't be suprised if Nonis makes a move like this.
Not a chance in hell. If the Leafs are acquiring Luongo they aren't shipping their best player in the deal. The goal is presumably to win now.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:03 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Go away? This is a Luongo thread. Maybe those who don't have interest in Luongo should be the ones who depart. You don't speak for the Leafs brass, nor do you speak for the entire fanbase. For the life of me I cannot grasp the impetus behind Leafs fans entering a Luongo thread and telling Canucks fans which teams they can and cannot speculate about.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:05 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

It's a good point... even further, the closer to the deadline the less amount of teams that might be interested. Maybe Gillis gets lucky and gets one team willing to overpay.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
I don't see Luongo's Value going down at all this off-season if that's when he gets traded. The simple explanation is as follows

Let's say there are 5 teams interested

Let's say all 5 teams are with the same mindset as each other "Gillis has to trade Luongo cheap because they can't afford 2 goalies"

Okay, so each of those 5 teams now has a 20% chance of getting Luongo.

By delaying, one of those 5 teams will start to crack and be like.. well.. I want Luongo, why would I gamble with what team Gillis will trade him to, when I can up my offer and make him trade Luongo to my team? And he'll up the offer slightly to ensure he gets a 100% chance that he lands Luongo

Gillis then takes his offer and uses it to increase the other 4 teams offers and this cycle continues to repeat until 1 of 2 things happen

All 5 teams drop out because Gillis is asking too much or Gillis gets his perceived value and pulls the trigger

Vancouver truly is in the driver's seat here, the other teams that want him will crack either from internal pressure, or fan pressure to win games
Wait a minute! If what you say is true, then Gillis can get more in a trade if more than one team wants the guy.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Wait a minute! If what you say is true, then Gillis can get more in a trade if more than one team wants the guy.
He's been scouting Washington and Pittsburgh games.. That would be 2.

Florida is where Luongo wants to play and there is mutual interest as reported by several sources. That would be 3.

Chicago, Edmonton have been speculated. That would be 5

I haven't even touched the fire that his Philly or Toronto yet, that would be 7

Last edited by piqued: 02-05-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: unnecessary
Old
02-05-2013, 11:38 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415287

SCHNEIDER'S AGENT CONCERNED ABOUT GOALIE'S PLAYING TIME
wait, you're telling me an agent is looking out for a player's interest instead of the teams'?

news to me

Old
02-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
wait, you're telling me an agent is looking out for a player's interest instead of the teams'?

news to me

I found it especially funny that after it got printed Liut was incensed with the writer, refused to comment further, saying he was misrepresented, and phoned Gilman to convey his dissatisfaction with how he was represented.

There won't be another peep out of him or Cory for quite some time now I think.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:44 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I found it especially funny that after it got printed Liut was incensed with the writer, refused to comment further, saying he was misrepresented, and phoned Gilman to convey his dissatisfaction with how he was represented.

There won't be another peep out of him or Cory for quite some time now I think.
Everyone wants controversy, so any little thing will get misinterpreted and blown out of proportion.

tis being a Canucks fan I guess

Old
02-05-2013, 11:47 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
He's been scouting Washington and Pittsburgh games.. That would be 2.

Florida is where Luongo wants to play and there is mutual interest as reported by several sources. That would be 3.

Chicago, Edmonton have been speculated. That would be 5

I haven't even touched the fire that his Philly or Toronto yet, that would be 7
My ******** detector is going off here. I'm pretty sure that almost none of those teams are seriously interested in giving up anything of value to obtain Luongo. My personal opinion is that there is very little on the trade front with Luongo right now and the media is making this stuff up to drum up interest in the story.

Last edited by piqued: 02-05-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: qep
Old
02-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Everyone wants controversy, so any little thing will get misinterpreted and blown out of proportion.

tis being a Canucks fan I guess

'Tis the Canadian media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
My ******** detector is going off here. I'm pretty sure that almost none of those teams are seriously interested in giving up anything of value to obtain Luongo. My personal opinion is that there is very little on the trade front with Luongo right now and the media is making this stuff up to drum up interest in the story.

I think you need to apply that phrase written under your user handle to your post.

If anything is clear, it's that no one knows what's going on behind the scenes except Gillis.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Nah ill put whoever I want in there, why are you in this thread if that's the case? Haha I know Nonis is liking what he is seeing right now with Luongo, and looking at Kessel without a goal in 10 games. I would not be suprised if Nonis traded Kessel.

Luongo
Booth/Raymond/Higgins
1st

For

Kessel
Scrivens
Why does Toronto do this? Half the league could and would offer a much better package for Phil Kessel. Luongo is only to a team with cup aspiration. That would no longer apply to Toronto were Kessel moved.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:14 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I think you need to apply that phrase written under your user handle to your post.

If anything is clear, it's that no one knows what's going on behind the scenes except Gillis.
Penguins: Have MAF under contract, he's good enough for them to win, he's proven that.
Capitals: Already have a longterm contract on the books, know the dangers first hand.
Edmonton: No way this trade happens within the division.
Blackhawks: HAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha
Panthers: Possible trade destination, if they were interested I'm certain this trade would already have been completed
Leafs: Sure, if they can find something they're willing to part with of value to send back
Flyers: Already have that long term goalie signed until he retires, why would they need a second one?

Sure, I might be wrong here, I certainly have been wrong in the past. But this whole saga stinks like overblown media garbage to me.

I have opinions, like everyone else around here, and I think we both know mine are not "oh man Luongo is going to return a HUGE haul".

There's very little motive for the Canucks to move him right now unless some team gets pressured from ownership to paid out the nose for Luongo. I think that part is pretty clear by now. But we all know something will have to happen before the start of next season. I expect Luongo to be moved during the off season. I also expect him to be moved for something that the talking heads at TSN will label "underwhelming" or "less than expected".

Old
02-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
To play devil's advocate. What if the following transpires:

Chicago/Edmonton: Neither wish to deal the necessary assets to a division rival or are content with their goaltending.

Detroit: Content with Howard and maintaining cheap goaltending, a trend they have continued since the Hasek era.

Florida: Maintains belief in Markstrom.

Philly: Opts not to buyout Bryzgalov.
----

We are left with Washington and Toronto, whom have both expressed neither intends to pay the price Gillis demands. Instead they offer something akin to:

Toronto: Bozak + 1st (2014) + Reimer/Scrivens
Washington: Brouwer + 1st (2014) + Neuvirth

And refuse to move. They could even substitute the firsts for lesser prospects. Do we accept? If no, then what? Wait them out? Okay, October rolls around and they remain adamant to the above or thereabouts. What now? Do we go into the new season with a lesser roster just to prove a point?

Closed Thread