HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

vCash: 500
im in Afghanistan watching games on SpaWar's connection on NHL Gamecenter Live. I've watched 7 games so far this season and have had maybe 10 times total that a game has lagged for more than 3 seconds. typically the quality is the high-mid range, with about 1/3 of each game being at the highest quality level. although ive had as much as 2/3 of a whole game come in at full quality.

If I can get that here, shouldnt have issues anywhere else lol

Old
02-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

One thing I've noticed this year is that delay on the picture to real life seems to be less. Last year for me it was about 45 seconds. I find it's about 15-25 seconds now.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:35 PM
wetcardboard

Can anyone who has Shaw in western Canada tell me if either of the LeafsTV broadcasts(Jan 24th vs Islanders & Jan 29th @ Sabres) were on Centre Ice? I'm in Edmonton and have Telus and didn't get either game. I got a canned response from Telus on Twitter about some negotiations taking place. I can only assume since Rogers or Bell now own the channel that they are up to something, even though I thought Telus received all of their channels from Bell's satellite feeds. I've heard that TSN-JETS and TSN-HABS broadcasts have also been absent from Telus Centre Ice. The common denominator here is Bell obviously. Just want to check if those who have Shaw have been getting these games. I though Telus and Bell were buddies, at least much closer than Bell and Shaw so if Shaw subscribers are seeing these games, I think I'll have to switch to them on principle. After all why pay the same rate to have Centre Ice on Telus and get fewer games? The A/V quality on Telus has been horrid on Centre Ice this year too, the CBC/TSN/Sportsnet broadcasts I get locally are beautiful but most Centre Ice feeds are garbage, barely better than HD, and the sound is so low on them I have to crank my receiver up 2X as loud as anything else I watch.

Between having Shaw, Shaw Direct & Telus the last 7 years I've never missed a single Leafs game on Centre Ice, this year I've already missed two.

Of course Leafs TV is doing another two games this week (Tues @ Caps, Thurs @ Jets) and neither are showing up on the Telus guide. If the LeafsTV feed is being blocked by Bell, why the hell can't they get the CSN Caps feed? I understand we'd be screwed on the Thursday game as it's being broadcast by both LeafsTV and TSN-Jets...go figure. Bell can go **** themselves!

Last edited by wetcardboard: 02-04-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
mmajeski06

Anyone having trouble with the PS3 app? 7:07 and I cant select the Canes / Leafs no options come up.

Edit: NVM just came up

Old
02-04-2013, 06:20 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

No buffering so far for the Leafs game. Service is improving.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:23 PM
wetcardboard

So you can get Centre Ice through Xbox now? Do you get 5.1 sound when available? Maybe I won't have to switch to Shaw if this is an option...

EDIT: Nvm screw that, I wouldn't have the ability to record anything!

Old
02-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcardboard View Post
Can anyone who has Shaw in western Canada tell me if either of the LeafsTV broadcasts(Jan 24th vs Islanders & Jan 29th @ Sabres) were on Centre Ice? I'm in Edmonton and have Telus and didn't get either game. I got a canned response from Telus on Twitter about some negotiations taking place. I can only assume since Rogers or Bell now own the channel that they are up to something, even though I thought Telus received all of their channels from Bell's satellite feeds. I've heard that TSN-JETS and TSN-HABS broadcasts have also been absent from Telus Centre Ice. The common denominator here is Bell obviously. Just want to check if those who have Shaw have been getting these games. I though Telus and Bell were buddies, at least much closer than Bell and Shaw so if Shaw subscribers are seeing these games, I think I'll have to switch to them on principle. After all why pay the same rate to have Centre Ice on Telus and get fewer games? The A/V quality on Telus has been horrid on Centre Ice this year too, the CBC/TSN/Sportsnet broadcasts I get locally are beautiful but most Centre Ice feeds are garbage, barely better than HD, and the sound is so low on them I have to crank my receiver up 2X as loud as anything else I watch.

Between having Shaw, Shaw Direct & Telus the last 7 years I've never missed a single Leafs game on Centre Ice, this year I've already missed two.

Of course Leafs TV is doing another two games this week (Tues @ Caps, Thurs @ Jets) and neither are showing up on the Telus guide. If the LeafsTV feed is being blocked by Bell, why the hell can't they get the CSN Caps feed? I understand we'd be screwed on the Thursday game as it's being broadcast by both LeafsTV and TSN-Jets...go figure. Bell can go **** themselves!
I believe the Leafs TV games are blacked out across of all of Canada

Old
02-04-2013, 07:00 PM
rs990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
No buffering so far for the Leafs game. Service is improving.
I have had no buffering and an HD picture (Apple TV in UK, 15mb connection), but the audio is out of sync enough to be very noticeable in the studio segments.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Tmash85

The last week or so I have had serious issues with the audio on the iPad app. The audio and video will be out of sync when I start the broadcast. I toggle between home and away broadcasts and it will be resolved but slowly during the course of the broadcast the audio will start getting out of sync with the video again. I have to toggle between broadcasts once every couple of minutes and after every commercial break too.

Anyone else having this issue? Other than the sync issue, the picture quality is terrific at near HD levels.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcardboard View Post

I am certain the Leafs Sabres game was on and 90% sure the NYI was too. I am with SHAW and of the games I have scrolled through have not experienced a single black out.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:08 PM
SteelFish87*

i've always bought CI in the past but just bought GCL instead for the HD.

does anyone know if i can hook my computer up to my TV and DVR a game tonight to watch later?

Old
02-05-2013, 03:08 PM
patrat12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFirstCup View Post
Anyone else having problems with Center Ice on tv missing games?? I'm with Telus Optik tv in Calgary and I don't have the Leafs game or the Rangers game?? I called Telus and they tried telling me some b.s. about a blackout and when I explained that blackouts are only for local markets they changed their excuse to it being licensing issues with the Toronto Maple Leafs . That was also b.s because I have a friend with Telus in BC and he gets BOTH games just fine. By the end of the call they were saying it was a problem with Center Ice as other people with Shaw were complaining too. This wasn't the first night this has happened. Anyone else having this issue??
Absolutely and I am really Pissed Off! My Jets Games were on every night on CI last season and now Ive yet to see 1 Game! I just looked at the schedule again and it does not even list the Leafs vs Jets on Thursday so you can bet that game is out for sure! UNREAL!

Old
02-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Elever
Hth

Someone in Europe mentioned that hockeystreams was working extremely well with VLC in HQ. I haven't tried that here with VLC since I don't have a subscription atm, maybe someone else can comment.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Horbi

Blackouts In Germany??

Does anyone has encountered any blackout issues in Germany while watching CenterIce? Last year I was able to watch the playoff games live without any blackout. But now it seems that games which are on ESPN America will be blacked out.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Dr Acula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmash85 View Post
The last week or so I have had serious issues with the audio on the iPad app. The audio and video will be out of sync when I start the broadcast. I toggle between home and away broadcasts and it will be resolved but slowly during the course of the broadcast the audio will start getting out of sync with the video again. I have to toggle between broadcasts once every couple of minutes and after every commercial break too.

Anyone else having this issue? Other than the sync issue, the picture quality is terrific at near HD levels.
Me too. AppleTV, iPad, PS3 all have audio sync issues. It's fine at first when I start the stream, but after a few minutes it gets worse and worse and eventually the audio is several seconds behind. The delayed commentary and puck sounds is really distracting and makes it hard to pay attention to the game.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Eddy Livingstone

The service seems to fluctuate enormously indeed. On Saturday I watched a game while in the car on mobile internet with crisp, great quality. On Sunday at home on my iPad with a very fast cable connection I kept getting the infamous 'bandwith' message. When I switched to another game, things were working fine. But returning to the original game the bandwith-message reappeared.

After several weeks it seems like they still do not have their problems solved. Very irritating and unprofessional.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Lupul1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horbi View Post
Does anyone has encountered any blackout issues in Germany while watching CenterIce? Last year I was able to watch the playoff games live without any blackout. But now it seems that games which are on ESPN America will be blacked out.
They are doing this for the whole Europe. I imagine people will be pissed off when play-offs arrive. It looks like some games from 1st and 2nd round will be blacked out and then the whole Conference Finals and Final too. And if that's the case, I'm sure a lot of people will cancel GCL subscription next year when it's back to 150$.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Both Xbox and Roku worked well enough yesterday night across 2 games. The xbox had a hiccup twice, but fixed itself in less than 10 seconds.

The Roku app has been flawless.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Droc
Classless

Should update

After the opening week screwups, I emailed NHL to cancel my subscription with no response. I tried calling half a dozen times and often waiting upwards of an hour on hold.
I opened a dispute with paypal for a refund of all but $0.01
Paypal ruled in my favor and I was refunded my money.
Over a week now and I still get all the games

Old
02-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Livingstone View Post
The service seems to fluctuate enormously indeed. On Saturday I watched a game while in the car on mobile internet with crisp, great quality. On Sunday at home on my iPad with a very fast cable connection I kept getting the infamous 'bandwith' message. When I switched to another game, things were working fine. But returning to the original game the bandwith-message reappeared.

After several weeks it seems like they still do not have their problems solved. Very irritating and unprofessional.
All I can advise is to pause a game that keeps buffering, or to rewind it a bit, and that should resolve the issues. Unless you're communicating with other fans online about the game in real time, does it matter if you're watching the game with a 1-minute delay? I don't think so.

I watched Kings @ Blue Jackets via Apple TV tonight, and the game kept buffering. So, I just rewound it 2 minutes backwards. The picture immediately got crystal-clear, and no more buffering for the rest of the game. I also appreciate that while the live broadcast is ongoing, you can rewind it all the way back to the beginning. Apple TV even shows you the real time (I mean the time of day/night in your city) to which you are rewinding the game.

This is the middle of the night in Europe. I woke up in the middle of the 2nd period. Apple TV gave me the option to start watching the game from the beginnng. I opted to jump into the game live, but even after the game was over, Apple TV still gave me the option to rewind the game all the way back to 1 a.m. (an hour past midnight), which was the game's starting time, so that I could also have watched the game's first half that I had missed, if I wanted to.

That's some great service. The only real issue I have with GCL this season are the insane, totally unjustifiable blackouts, but those can easily be avoided on a traditional computer, too (the free Stealthy plugin for Chrome/Firefox). Even with all these issues, getting a service like this for only $50 is a great deal.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:28 AM
StayFrosty

Did anyone else on Gamecenter totally just get screwed out of the ending of the Sharks vs. Hawks game?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:31 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayFrosy View Post
Did anyone else on Gamecenter totally just get screwed out of the ending of the Sharks vs. Hawks game?
Image stuck on Joey Thornton's back?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:37 AM
StayFrosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Image stuck on Joey Thornton's back?
Yeah something like that :-X

I couldn't get the end of the game to play on either my PS3 or PC.

This really pisses me off. I get a lot of freezing and stuff in Gamecenter... not so much during playback, but while toggling screens, etc. I keep telling myself it's my PC, but I dunno. Sometimes while switching screens my entire browser (Firefox) freezes up and I have to CNTRL ALT DLT and reopen.

Anyone else with the problem during the Sharks game ending?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Faterson

Yes, the ending of that game got cut off. Last 7 minutes or so. Oh, well. That's what you get for praising them.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:41 AM
DaveTheHockeyFan

Happened to me as well, I was watching the Hawks feed online. Ended up listening to the remainder of the game.

Closed Thread