HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 09:56 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Some of that is probably Bylsma's influence (telling him to play TK's game effectively)... which ironically could make your theory correct if these guys decide to take a chance on him and bulk him up this summer. After we got him, Bylsma was not talking about his skill, he was talking about his speed and "grit" if I remember right... so he's probably telling him very specifically what he wants from him. Playing on Malkin's line could be nothing more than a confidence booster short term (i.e. they have no intention of leaving him there for an extended period).

Assuming that's true, people need to give the kid time to adjust. Nothing messes with an athletes game more than thinking.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:57 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Some of that is probably Bylsma's influence (telling him to play TK's game effectively)... which ironically could make your theory correct if these guys decide to take a chance on him and bulk him up this summer. After we got him, Bylsma was not talking about his skill, he was talking about his speed and "grit" if I remember right... so he's probably telling him very specifically what he wants from him. Playing on Malkin's line could be nothing more than a confidence booster short term (i.e. they have no intention of leaving him there for an extended period).
I don't disagree with any of that. I guess it supports the theory that Malkin isn't a Bylsma guy (unless of course Sid is out and Bylsma is between a rock and a hard place).

Old
02-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Assuming that's true, people need to give the kid time to adjust. Nothing messes with an athletes game more than thinking.
Oh I'm ALL for giving the kid time... I like his skillset so far. But there's no getting around the strength thing, even if he quickly becomes comfortable with the system and his linemates. When teams start playing him physical he's going to get knocked on his ass an awful lot.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Oh I'm ALL for giving the kid time... I like his skillset so far. But there's no getting around the strength thing, even if he quickly becomes comfortable with the system and his linemates. When teams start playing him physical he's going to get knocked on his ass an awful lot.
I don't think there's any way they'll be able to get him to WBS. I think he's shown more than anyone who's a healthy scratch right now. I get what everyone is saying (I still think he's the best top-6 option on the team right now), so even if they don't think he's the answer this year, I hope they keep him around and boot Lovejoy when Niskanen returns.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The kid is already becoming polarizing just like Canes fans said he was there. Some like him (I do) and some don't. I know he's not perfect and he may not be the right fit on Malkin's line but things will shake out over time. I think Crosby or Sutter could use his skill next to them more than Malkin and Neal. He does need to get stronger but he's only 23 and a bit of a project. He has enough good qualities to keep him around and develop him more. He's a better project than Tangradi and Jeffrey imo.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:20 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The kid is already becoming polarizing just like Canes fans said he was there. Some like him (I do) and some don't. I know he's not perfect and he may not be the right fit on Malkin's line but things will shake out over time. I think Crosby or Sutter could use his skill next to them more than Malkin and Neal. He does need to get stronger but he's only 23 and a bit of a project. He has enough good qualities to keep him around and develop him more. He's a better project than Tangradi and Jeffrey imo.
FYI, that's where I've been at with our give and take here.

Old
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I am not sure that you have to fall definitively on either side of the fence. He has shown enough to have earned more time, until the end of the year, to show what he can do. All it would cost you is a Lovejoy to give him that opportunity. Pretty small cost for that possibility.

Old
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
I went to their board and read some stuff they said about him, and yea, it's eery: Hard worker, fast, creates a lot of chances... doesn't score. I dunno. I like what he brings, and I'd like to see if he can become a scorer.

I was a big proponent of giving Tangradi and Jeffrey time, I feel ike Boychuk showed more in less time than they did. (Well, more than Jeffrey did, but DJ had 1 game!)

Old
02-05-2013, 10:21 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am not sure that you have to fall definitively on either side of the fence. He has shown enough to have earned more time, until the end of the year, to show what he can do. All it would cost you is a Lovejoy to give him that opportunity. Pretty small cost for that possibility.
Lovejoy would make it through waivers anyhow, right? RIGHT?

Old
02-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
FYI, that's where I've been at with our give and take here.
Fair enough.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:22 PM
SteelFish87*

i think boychuk and kunitz should switch lines

Old
02-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
I don't think there's any way they'll be able to get him to WBS. I think he's shown more than anyone who's a healthy scratch right now. I get what everyone is saying (I still think he's the best top-6 option on the team right now), so even if they don't think he's the answer this year, I hope they keep him around and boot Lovejoy when Niskanen returns.
No they'll never get him to WBS. Someone will take a flyer on him if we waive him, maybe even Carolina again.

So seems to be the consensus among those who like him but are not convinced he's ready for a full-time role, is keep him, scratch him the rest of the year... and start his summer workouts early, between practices. I'd like to see another week or two worth, and if he improves his positioning on the ice a little bit and starts generating some scoring chances every game for himself or his linemates... then I'm in favor of moving Tangradi as trade filler and having the Chuk be a scratch.

Then hopefully next camp he's got another 12-15 lbs of muscle on him, especially his core / lower body, and we'll see what he can do. Even if it slows him down slightly, a guy who is much stronger on his skates but a bit slower is still going to be faster than most players out there, so worth it.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
My hope is that the Flyers claim him.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:24 PM
SteelFish87*

at this point, id keep boychuk over tangradi

or is tangradi on a 2-way?

Old
02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
at this point, id keep boychuk over tangradi

or is tangradi on a 2-way?
Tangradi is on a 2-way but that only means different pay in the AHL. He'll still have to clear waivers on the way down.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Tangradi is on a 2-way but that only means different pay in the AHL. He'll still have to clear waivers on the way down.
thanks

tangradi has shown nothing. id rather keep boychuk

Old
02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
SteelFish87*

also why the hell did we keep Lovejoy over Strait??

i dont get it

Old
02-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Hard to say. He has a 1-way deal and the Pens would have to pay him his NHL salary to play in the AHL if he clears which may give them enough of a reason to just keep him up here for the rest of the season.

My guess is Tangradi would be the odd man out and would be waived. I'm not writing off his career but I don't see it happening here for him anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
My hope is that the Flyers claim him.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:

i dont get it
Islanders paid under the table so they could have a

Streit - Strait pairing.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:38 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Hard to say. He has a 1-way deal and the Pens would have to pay him his NHL salary to play in the AHL if he clears which may give them enough of a reason to just keep him up here for the rest of the season.

My guess is Tangradi would be the odd man out and would be waived. I'm not writing off his career but I don't see it happening here for him anymore.

You're probably right. I guess I shouldn't even care. I think he's going to stick on an NHL roster and look fine, but it will never, ever ever ever EVER be here, so no use worrying about it.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:40 PM
SirBrad

I'd rather see Shero make a minor trade rather than just lose a guy on waivers. If it comes down to it though, I wouldn't shed a tear if they lost Tangradi. He's showed next to nothing at the NHL level and I agree that it's just not going to happen for him in Pittsburgh. Maybe he goes elsewhere and it works for him, but whatever.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:

i dont get it
I don't completely get it either.

One reason could be that Lovejoy had a 1-way deal and Strait had a 2-way deal. Lovejoy would have made his NHL salary (over 500k) even if he cleared waivers and went to the AHL. Strait would have made just 60 something thousand if he cleared waivers and went to the AHL.

I don't think either was going to play much and both were going to be gone at the end of the season so the Pens probably just didn't want to pay that difference for 2 guys that aren't going to be around beyond this season.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Boychuk = Bokchoy

Old
02-06-2013, 12:10 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

One reason could be that Lovejoy had a 1-way deal and Strait had a 2-way deal. Lovejoy would have made his NHL salary (over 500k) even if he cleared waivers and went to the AHL. Strait would have made just 60 something thousand if he cleared waivers and went to the AHL.

I don't think either was going to play much and both were going to be gone at the end of the season so the Pens probably just didn't want to pay that difference for 2 guys that aren't going to be around beyond this season.

I think that is the right answer, along with: Shero is not a dick. He has proven that, like he did by sending ZM back to Phoenix where he would be comfortable. Strait has earned his chances and deserves to play, and perhaps Shero wanted to set him free to give him that chance to make a career for himself. If that is the case (and if he couldn't get a decent trade for him) then I respect that. As I keep saying, we can't hoard prospects.

Lovejoy is a guy who will barely, barely play. So if Lovejoy is a guy who has better relationship/rapport/chemistry with our team in the locker room and in practice/road trips, then he's the perfect guy to serve that role.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:

I don't buy this. We have been a cap-team for some years now, and we are currently 10 million below. This has nothing to do with pinching pennies.

I rather think they simply didn't want to lose the 'guarantee' that Lovejoy is due to having played enough games in the NHL to be counted on as a 7th D-man. As Strait probably couldn't return much of anything in a trade prior to getting to the show, Shero would rather gamble on him clearing than take a conditional 5th pick for him or something like that.

Like most here, I think that was a wrong decision, but I do understand the argument if they were that unsure Strait, Borts and (less so) Despres could get the job done.

Closed Thread