HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Old
02-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Yossarian54

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
After going through Weasels, wolverines and other options ....

Honey devil coming off the bench rocking the V

Honey devil do care!
Good Choice.

Interestingly, their jaw is powerful enough to bite clean through a human femur. So if they eat something, they eat ALL of it.

Also the name is derived from the noise they make: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RjAh8PRTQ

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I don't believe it's an inevitability that Schroeder starts producing as much as Hodgson. It's possible, just not probable IMO.

Though this is the most encouraging year of development for Schroeder since he was drafted IMO. Definately a positive that he hasn't been overwhelmed by the size and speed of NHL players. This was still a big question mark going into this season and he's put some fears to rest.

I don't think it's inevitable Schroeder out produces Hodgson either, but the chance is there to get close. And if he gets close, then I definitely like him more overall as a player. Let's hope he gets close.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Land O Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Judging from your comments on HF Canucks, I'm assuming you've watched Schroeder for a while? Including his time as a Golden Gopher? If so, can you tell us anything about his 2nd year there and just what on earth was going on with the program?
I think what everyone will tell you is that it was a significant drop off in talent from his freshman year with the team, to his sophomore year. He went from playing between Stoa and Barriball (2 outstanding college players), to playing with a bunch of different plugs for lack of a better word (Tony Lucia, Jacob Cepis, etc.). He's always been affected significantly by line mates, and that type of awful Gophers squad didn't help his cause at all. That's what most people will say, but I think it had a lot to do with him wanting to move on.

He looked 'checked out' after winning rookie of the year. He'd proven everything he wanted to prove at the collegiate level, he'd just obliterated World Juniors, and he was drafted in the first round of NHL only to come back to a terrible Gopher squad he knew he wouldn't be spending much more time with. All that combined for an "I'm outta here, get me to Vancouver attitude" which has led him all the way up to this point. However, I think it's incredibly beneficial to him what the Canucks organization has done with his development because they grounded him. They took him from this All-Star, a bit over cocky persona he developed leading up to and after college, and let him know that he needs a work ethic to match his great skill set if he wants to play anywhere decent.

That's why his first 8 games have been so fun to watch. He's a totally different player than he was in college. He would've never dug that puck out for Hansen like he did last night. I think playing at this level is what he's been dying for, so it should be fun to see how this keeps developing. He's been fitting in well so far.

Land O Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land O Lakes View Post
I think what everyone will tell you is that it was a significant drop off in talent from his freshman year with the team, to his sophomore year. He went from playing between Stoa and Barriball (2 outstanding college players), to playing with a bunch of different plugs for lack of a better word (Tony Lucia, Jacob Cepis, etc.). He's always been affected significantly by line mates, and that type of awful Gophers squad didn't help his cause at all. That's what most people will say, but I think it had a lot to do with him wanting to move on.

He looked 'checked out' after winning rookie of the year. He'd proven everything he wanted to prove at the collegiate level, he'd just obliterated World Juniors, and he was drafted in the first round of NHL only to come back to a terrible Gopher squad he knew he wouldn't be spending much more time with. All that combined for an "I'm outta here, get me to Vancouver attitude" which has led him all the way up to this point. However, I think it's incredibly beneficial to him what the Canucks organization has done with his development because they grounded him. They took him from this All-Star, a bit over cocky persona he developed leading up to and after college, and let him know that he needs a work ethic to match his great skill set if he wants to play anywhere decent.

That's why his first 8 games have been so fun to watch. He's a totally different player than he was in college. He would've never dug that puck out for Hansen like he did last night. I think playing at this level is what he's been dying for, so it should be fun to see how this keeps developing. He's been fitting in well so far.
Thanks for this insight - hugely appreciated, and a really interesting perspective into his growth as a player and a person.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

To the bolded statement above, why do you think that is?

Old
02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:

The way you put it, everything makes sense. Even the pre-draft concerns about his supposedly cocky attitude - which we as Canucks fans dismissed - in hindsight probably had truth to it after all. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that he needed to be grounded, as you put it, and realize that he still had a lot to learn before he would ever get a sniff at the bigs. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened to a highly-touted, skilled young guy and won't be the last either.

I still remember Bob Mackenize loving the pick and saying "this kid could step into the NHL next season" (paraphrasing), but I don't think most people realized just how big of a step he had to take mentally - in terms of both maturity and I think a little humility as well.

Thanks for your input though, it's much appreciated!

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:27 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Some players are simply complimentary players.

IE: Burrows to the Sedins
IE: Higgins to Kesler (AMEX line)
IE: Currently Schroeder to Raymond

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:57 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Need any new nickname for Raymond so we can have an "angry animals" line.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
The way you put it, everything makes sense. Even the pre-draft concerns about his supposedly cocky attitude - which we as Canucks fans dismissed - in hindsight probably had truth to it after all. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that he needed to be grounded, as you put it, and realize that he still had a lot to learn before he would ever get a sniff at the bigs. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened to a highly-touted, skilled young guy and won't be the last either.

I still remember Bob Mackenize loving the pick and saying "this kid could step into the NHL next season" (paraphrasing), but I don't think most people realized just how big of a step he had to take mentally - in terms of both maturity and I think a little humility as well.

Thanks for your input though, it's much appreciated!

From watching him in the AHL, you could gradually see the change in his game. Especially when Mactavish got a hold of him. But I think he's lost some creativity on the offensive end because of it. I hope he re-awakens that aspect of his game to truly become a very good young prospect here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Some players are simply complimentary players.

IE: Burrows to the Sedins
IE: Higgins to Kesler (AMEX line)
IE: Currently Schroeder to Raymond

True, I just hope he's not wholly reliant on others. He needs to focus on creating more plays.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:

Hey my fellow Minnesotan (ex St.Paulite here), very well said!

Like everyone else I was mystified by Schroeder's poor sophomore season, but as the Gopher fan board complained at the time, he just wasn't interested. And the team was so listless then--and I think Lucia was having cancer treatments or something too. Huge criticism of the coaching staff. Right around that time Wheeler, Okposo, Stoa, and another guy were leaving or had left already, Pat "Yikes" White was stinking it up, and Schroeder clearly had a toxic attitude problem. Thanks for fleshing all that out in greater detail.

Like you, when I watched him grind it out along the boards to set up Hansen's goal, I thought how far he's come in a couple of years as a pro. He used to "slow the game down" (said as a wrong-headed compliment) whereas now he's a buzz saw with a strong defensive conscience. Humbled but very ambitious. I wonder how nervous he'll be, with friends and family watching, down in that underground hell hole for Canucks in St. Paul?

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
True, I just hope he's not wholly reliant on others. He needs to focus on creating more plays.
It's like asking a player like Tanguay to go out there and run a line. It just won't happen.

Tanguay is an essential complimentary player that makes star players better. If he has the opportunity to score, he'll do so.

I feel Schroeder is the exact same way. He just doesn't have the finish quite just yet.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:41 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
and I think Lucia was having cancer treatments or something too. Huge criticism of the coaching staff.
I always thought the team was struggling in part due to Lucia and his ongoing illness. I think it affected the team and how they being coached and how they played, along with the other reasons listed. Reading in depth about the atmosphere around Lucia, it couldn't have been a very fun situation and it was the right decision for Schroeder to turn pro at the end of that season.

There was a great article about his battles from back then and i just found it: http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...4.html?refer=y

Hope people read this, its good.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Fat Tony

*complementary

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Schroeder

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:32 AM
Land O Lakes

Quote:
I think it's a combo of his personality and his playing style. Everywhere he's played other than the AHL he's had a linemate he clings to (High School - Anders Lee, NTDP - JVR, College - Stoa, Worlds - JVR). It's pretty clear he develops a trust/respect with these linemates (you can see it starting with Raymond) and that's when he starts to generate offense. When he's paired with linemates he doesn't mesh with you can tell he's just off.

As for his playing style, all those players above have commonalities -- they're great players, they're bigger, and they're finishers. His playing style when he's truly on his game is like he can see the entire ice better than anyone and he always has a way of finding that one linemate. He's just a set up man plain and simple. And as well as the Raymond thing has been working, I think Schroeder would do even better with a player like Kesler -- especially since Kesler has been molded under that NTDP/USA playing style. I'm not sure how that would work with the conflict of position but it would be fun to see.

Land O Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Canadian Gold X3
Stupid sexy Sven

Quote:
Need any new nickname for Raymond so we can have an "angry animals" line.
Bambi

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:41 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 View Post
Bambi
Perfect

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I think it's a combo of his personality and his playing style. Everywhere he's played other than the AHL he's had a linemate he clings to (High School - Anders Lee, NTDP - JVR, College - Stoa, Worlds - JVR). It's pretty clear he develops a trust/respect with these linemates (you can see it starting with Raymond) and that's when he starts to generate offense. When he's paired with linemates he doesn't mesh with you can tell he's just off.

As for his playing style, all those players above have commonalities -- they're great players, they're bigger, and they're finishers. His playing style when he's truly on his game is like he can see the entire ice better than anyone and he always has a way of finding that one linemate. He's just a set up man plain and simple. And as well as the Raymond thing has been working, I think Schroeder would do even better with a player like Kesler -- especially since Kesler has been molded under that NTDP/USA playing style. I'm not sure how that would work with the conflict of position but it would be fun to see.

Hmmm that's interesting. Big finishers... That sounds like Kesler or Booth. I think he's found a little trust with Hansen too. The Raymond chemistry seems to be inconsistent, but that's because I think Raymond is inconsistent regardless. NFITO mentioned a Booth-Schroeder-Kesler line, which would essentially have him play with two big finishers. I hope we see such a configuration someday.

As to the symbiotic play he develops with certain forwards, do you think it is this, Or do you think that it just comes down to the strength of the scorer himself? Meaning, if the scorer is good, as in the case of a JVR, he'll find a way to get his points regardless and Schroeder is along for the ride. Or do you think he helps elevate the game of the other player? Making them both better?

It looks like chemistry is a huge thing with him. If it's there, he'll generate offense. If it's not, he won't. For him to elevate his game in the NHL and establish himself, he will have to produce even when he doesn't have automatic chemistry with a certain player. I hope he learns to do that as we go on.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Canadian Gold X3
Stupid sexy Sven

Quote:
Perfect

The Bambi-Wolverine?-Honeybadger line, I like it

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
As to the symbiotic play he develops with certain forwards, do you think it is this, Or do you think that it just comes down to the strength of the scorer himself? Meaning, if the scorer is good, as in the case of a JVR, he'll find a way to get his points regardless and Schroeder is along for the ride. Or do you think he helps elevate the game of the other player? Making them both better?
I think he makes guys a lot better when he has chemistry with them. When Schroeder and Kassian were put together, for those 4 or 5 games before being called up, they probably spent all of 2 or 3 shifts in the defensive end. This is 2 guys that have played together for like 6 or 7 games total now, but they just clicked and they could find each other without even looking.

I don't think it's a good idea to re-unite them yet because both have to improve as rookies and maybe be driven a bit by their more senior linemates, but one day they would make a good line.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:00 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think he makes guys a lot better when he has chemistry with them. When Schroeder and Kassian were put together, for those 4 or 5 games before being called up, they probably spent all of 2 or 3 shifts in the defensive end. This is 2 guys that have played together for like 6 or 7 games total now, but they just clicked and they could find each other without even looking.

I don't think it's a good idea to re-unite them yet because both have to improve as rookies and maybe be driven a bit by their more senior linemates, but one day they would make a good line.
Jensen - Schroeder - Kassian

#believe

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post

I don't think it's a good idea to re-unite them yet because both have to improve as rookies and maybe be driven a bit by their more senior linemates, but one day I think they would make a good line.

Yeah I caught a game with them together, they looked good.

Did you see Conacher today? Drove the net hard on many opportunities. Little guy, has that intent to his game. I want to see Schroeder doing more of that. Might be out of his comfort zone somewhat, but he's got to start incorporating that a bit.

All this while keeping up his great play away from the puck. Difficult, but I think he can do it.

Would definitely like to see the Booth-Schroeder-Kesler line come on out. That would be interesting to see for sure.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I always thought the team was struggling in part due to Lucia and his ongoing illness. I think it affected the team and how they being coached and how they played, along with the other reasons listed. Reading in depth about the atmosphere around Lucia, it couldn't have been a very fun situation and it was the right decision for Schroeder to turn pro at the end of that season.

There was a great article about his battles from back then and i just found it: http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...4.html?refer=y

Hope people read this, its good.
Wow, the writer tries to be upbeat, but it sounds like a black hole for the players, with the
coach in a mercurial bipolar roid rage to start off the week . . . poor guy.

Lucia's son was the team's captain I believe. Can you imagine the weird dynamics of the
"leadership"?

Time to get out, like the other good players, and turn pro.

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:42 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
From watching him in the AHL, you could gradually see the change in his game. Especially when Mactavish got a hold of him. But I think he's lost some creativity on the offensive end because of it. I hope he re-awakens that aspect of his game to truly become a very good young prospect here.

To be fair, it was mentioned that he looked a lot more creative when he was finally put with Kassian shortly before the lockout ended. So I think it's still there. The problem IMO is that he needs another player on his line to be creative with, to bring out that side of his game.

So the linemate thing is probably accurate - that, as a complementary player, he'll need good players to truly shine. Certainly looks that way from how he excelled at the WJC. I don't think he'll develop to be an offensive dynamo but he won't hurt you in that regard either if you can put him with someone who can read what he wants to do out there.

Either way though, I don't know if you're going to see that from him just yet. He's just trying to make sure he sticks so I wouldn't be surprised if he's loathe to do anything fancy.

Indeed worth noting that Lee, Stoa and JVR are all big guys. So right there it looks like he's always worked best with a power forward - as with most smaller players, no?

Last edited by vanuck: 02-06-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old
02-06-2013, 02:53 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Jensen - Schroeder - Kassian

#believe
I still have hopes for this one day. WCE-lite... but one that's developed under a winning culture. And with a good defensive foundation to boot, instead of leaving just the center to do all the work.
Quote:
Perfect

Bambi - Gopher - Honey Badger

The Animals... it's coming together!