HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 06:15 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
They could. Whole first movie could be the Taris arc.
Second movie ends with the revelation that the "hero" was Darth Revan all along. Third movie ends with Revan redeeming himself by eliminating Malak and destroying the Star Forge

Old
02-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Wow, can you imagine if Disney started doing spin-off films? The Star Wars franchise has already been ruined, this would just add to it I guess.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:38 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Disney CEO has confirmed there will be multiple Star Wars standalone films.

"We are in fact working on a few stand-alone films," said Iger. "(Lawrence) Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga. So we plan to make Star Wars VII, VIII and IX over roughly a six-year period of time starting in 2015. But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time too."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/0...ndalone-movies

Release dates in hollywood are constantly being pushed back, but wow that's possibly 5 Star Wars films within a 6 year time frame.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
Wow, can you imagine if Disney started doing spin-off films? The Star Wars franchise has already been ruined, this would just add to it I guess.
Wouldn't go that far the prequels were bad but they've done a lot of great things in other sectors of media.

I'm really looking forward to 1313.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Awesome news.

Who cares if they suck? If they suck, don't watch them.

Disney has had a pretty good track record at making good movies. Avengers anyone?

Old
02-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Awesome news.

Disney has had a pretty good track record at making good movies. Avengers anyone?
Yeah I was super skeptical of Disney when it came to the Avengers but I think they have earned a bit of trust when it comes to handling popular franchises. more star wars is always cool with me, as long as the films get the time and respect they deserve.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Awesome news.

The problem what is there left to do make. Will they have Leia and Luke have a baby and it comes out all distorted and has to save the Galaxy

Old
02-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Considering it's Disney they'll probably do a remake of Ewoks:The Battle for Endor. There was to be a third film in the Ewoks trilogy and Ewoks are right up Disney's alley.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:05 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Hopefully they span different timelines; as I said before, characters like Revan, Kyle Katarn, etc... Hell, even Starkiller would be a very interesting tangent.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Old
02-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Hopefully they span different timelines; as I said before, characters like Revan, Kyle Katarn, etc... Hell, even Starkiller would be a very interesting tangent.

Please anything but that.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:01 AM
Johnny LaRue

My favourite non-movie series and the trilogy written by Timothy Zahn. Grand Admiral Thrawn would make a great antagonist in a movie.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:00 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
My favourite non-movie series and the trilogy written by Timothy Zahn. Grand Admiral Thrawn would make a great antagonist in a movie.
While I loved the X-Wing series as a kid, clearly that is not movies material.

Thrawn was one of my favourite characters from the books. Best villain though overall in the expanded universe. One of my favourite characters for sure.

I personally think the Yuuzhan Vong storyline might make a great villain species for a new series. It sits the proper amount of time in future in the Stars Wars universe for the original actors (something that is not popular but might appeal to producers). That series is the best, most developed, and most "adult" of any series in the Star Wars universe, and could make a great setting for the next gen of movies. Would be ecstatic if the these movies were set during that invasion.

I don't think that the movies will acknowledge the expanded universe in the books at all though, which is a shame. Many people like me grew up on those books...

Old
02-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Teemu

Two spin-offs: a prequel for Han Solo and a Boba Fett movie.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/0...vie-boba-fett/

Old
02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
76ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post

Old
02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Quote:

There you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post

Hahaha this. TFU was one of the biggest let downs I've ever seen. When I read the concept of this game I was truly excited. They made it sound new, fresh, and fun. Being able to wreak havoc Prototype style. What we got was an unthrilling game that played like a "for movie" game with about 5 hours of the gameplay subtracted. Like I had more fun playing as a Sith on KOTOR and Jedi Academy. I didn't think it was possible for the sequel to be even worse, but it was. You know it's bad if my little brother who thought TFU1 was the greatest thing to happen to video games played 1 hour of number 2 before returning it to GameStop. Plus that whole story arch sucked.

Last edited by DuckJet: 02-06-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old
02-06-2013, 04:00 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:

Old
02-06-2013, 04:27 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Disney has been shooting off ideas for the SW franchise in a machine gun-esque fashion, and it seems like their trying to find something that sticks.this is both good, and bad.

It's good because it seems like Disney (hopefully) is trying to gauge fan reaction to all these ideas. Any movie company that tries to listen to their fan base (even a tiny bit) is a win.

It's bad because it doesn't seem like Disney has a clue as how to continue the mega franchise they just bought for a kings ransom. This is scary as you would think that during the negotiations Disney would have thought out and cemented at least some of the ideas for creating material for the franchise they just bought.

This entire thing also has the potential to back fire immensely. The SW franchise is not just another franchise. It's not the Bond franchise, it's not the Star Trek Franchise, it's not the Lors of the Rings Franchise, it's 10x larger than all of three of these franchises combined. This is a franchise that helped to re-define an entire generation. The SW fan base is by far and large the biggest fan base in the world, it is also the most avid and imaginative. However, at the same time the fanbase is also the most rabid, volatile and homerey.

One analogy that fits well to this is the population of Rome. The emperors knew the power of the 'mob' of Rome. If you listened to it, got to know it, gave them it what it wanted, and appeased it to the T, that mob would love you and lead you to ruling the world. If you don't listen to the mob, get to know it and give it what it wants, that mob would turn on you and tear your rule to shreds a hundred times over. The latter is what happened to Lucas during the release of the prequels.

This entire thing could go either way for Disney. I would also not want to be JJ's shoes. This thing has the potential to destroy his directing career in a nanosecond.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:15 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

Some good points above. Basically more of something you love should be a good thing. The danger part is when the big money men behind these things see easy money to be made off the fandom and will squeeze it till there's nothing left. This is how things get 'ruined', they don't see or care about the artistic integrity of the property but rather just how much $$$ they can squeeze out of it. Or, a lesser evil, realize that they can get away with half-assing it and only put minimal effort into something they know will sell regardless.

I'm giving Disney the benefit of the doubt for now, leaning towards positive after the good work they did with Marvel, but the amount of people hating on this just goes to show just how little trust there is between fans and the big movie studio's/recording labels/game publishers/etc.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:57 AM
MadDevil

Quote:
Not that it'll happen, but a movie based on Dark Forces would be amazing.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post

Hahaha this. TFU was one of the biggest let downs I've ever seen. When I read the concept of this game I was truly excited. They made it sound new, fresh, and fun. Being able to wreak havoc Prototype style. What we got was an unthrilling game that played like a "for movie" game with about 5 hours of the gameplay subtracted. Like I had more fun playing as a Sith on KOTOR and Jedi Academy. I didn't think it was possible for the sequel to be even worse, but it was. You know it's bad if my little brother who thought TFU1 was the greatest thing to happen to video games played 1 hour of number 2 before returning it to GameStop. Plus that whole story arch sucked.
Haha. Things are different on the big screen though. I'm not saying following the game story arc is a good idea, it certainly wouldn't be, but following a secret apprentice of Vader that tries to hunt down the remaining scattered Jedi sounds amazing to me.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Harri...ies-35781.html

Hopefully this is as credible as it sounds, which is not credible at all. I don't see the fuss over cameos. It's over, re-cast and move on. Make it a passing cameo like Stan Lee in the Marvel movies. I'm fine with that, even if it is as their original characters, as long as they play a limited role. If the movie is all about a 70 year old Han Solo, then just shoot me now.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:27 AM
MadDevil

Quote:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Harri...ies-35781.html

Hopefully this is as credible as it sounds, which is not credible at all. I don't see the fuss over cameos. It's over, re-cast and move on. Make it a passing cameo like Stan Lee in the Marvel movies. I'm fine with that, even if it is as their original characters, as long as they play a limited role. If the movie is all about a 70 year old Han Solo, then just shoot me now.
The only way I would want to see Han Solo in the new trilogy would be if he went out in a blaze of glory in the first movie.

Not that I believe most of the rumors that are out there about Episode VII anyway. The rumor mill is going to be even worse for this trilogy than it was for the prequels.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:44 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
The only way I would want to see Han Solo in the new trilogy would be if he went out in a blaze of glory in the first movie.

Not that I believe most of the rumors that are out there about Episode VII anyway. The rumor mill is going to be even worse for this trilogy than it was for the prequels.
Especially since it's post Return. They're continuing the timeline. They're not gonna fall back suddenly to Old Republic and call it a continuation.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

http://theblemish.com/2013/02/mark-h...star-wars-vii/

Quote:
Not even J.J. Abrams may be able to save Star Wars VII if George Lucas gets his way. Rumors are he’s asked Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher if they’d like to reprise their roles in the next film.

No contracts have been signed but Hamill says Lucas won’t cast other actors in their parts if they weren’t interested and that he’d just write them out. Hamill said he’d prefer if the entire original cast returned.
I don't get it. It is such an easy decision to make... They need to re-cast the film, go to a different timeline, they can't have a 70 year old cast running around, many of those characters didn't even live that long in Star Wars lore... Stan Lee cameos are like the only thing acceptable. Abrams can't pull off what he did for Spock in Star Trek. This could turn into another Crystal Skull =/

Old
02-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Freedomov76

I'm guessing Hamill, Fisher, Ford would be more background - yet important - roles allowing for the proverbial passing of the torch. Hamill for instance taking more of an Ep.IV Obi-Wan type role.

Closed Thread