HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Your thoughts on UFC?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 03:04 AM
  #76
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 57,931
vCash: 50
I have no thoughts about it whatsoever.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:08 AM
  #77
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52
 
Respect Your Edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
I'm not willing to pay for PPVs and I hate going to an overcrowded bar to watch it. If it was on regular TV all the time I might follow it sometimes.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:07 AM
  #78
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,633
vCash: 50
I used to watch it maybe 4-6 years ago before I got bored.

PRIDE was a much more interesting promotion than UFC anyway, it didn't take itself as seriously as the UFC does and there was a much greater degree of showmanship, making it more fun to watch.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:42 AM
  #79
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 201,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Joe Rogan is a crackpot idiot.
People who hate Joe Rogan:

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:42 AM
  #80
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
MMA to me answers who's the toughest guy on the planet. I've seen some discussion about gladiators and what not in this thread, and you can probably go back to the beginning of time and people have always had some interest in who the toughest guy was. MMA essentially answers that. That's why I like it so much more than boxing. The HW champ in the UFC would absolutely murder the HW boxing champ. That makes boxing less interesting to me. Just like wrestling would be, or a BJJ tournament, karate, judo, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
I don't take enjoyment from watching a couple of muscular, sweaty, half-naked men rolling around on a mat playing grab-ass. Some guys do, apparently. My theory is that it is so popular among 18-28 year old males, and basically no other group, because it provides them with a safe avenue to satisfy their latent homoerotic desires without risking exposure to the homophobia that's so rampant among young males.
Cue the Not Sure if Serious Joker Meme. If you're not a fan that is completely understandable, but I can assure you that closet homosexuals do not make up the majority of the MMA audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
If I ask someone "What shows do you watch?", "What sports do you like?", or "What do you do for fun?" and UFC appears somewhere in the answer, I mentally deduct $10,000 off what I think they make.

It's one thing to watch it if it happens to be on, but I find the people who actually follow UFC in any meaningful way (to the extent that they consider it an "interest") to generally be fairly one-dimensional individuals.
No question, as with anything, there are going to be stereotypes in terms of your typical UFC fan. And I think to a certain degree they're true. You go to a UFC expo say and you're gonna see a lot of fairly similar looking people. I think you're making quite an overgeneralization though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
I like watching it but I need something to draw me in. I need entertainment in building the fights and that's probably why Chael Sonnen is my favourite fighter. I'll watch anything he's involved in. He entertains me and draws me into it. GSP is GSP, I'll watch when he's involved too but otherwise, I'll watch it if there's nothing else on. I enjoy it, but I'm not a rabid fan of it.
This is exactly what the sport needs more of. There used to be a lot more personalities a few years back. Chael is really the only relevant personality left. I wish more guys like that would come along. Unfortunately for the UFC it doesn't appear that is happening, and they can't force it or manufacture it because then their credibility takes a hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
I watch boxing, but UFC is not a real sport.
What do you mean by that exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterBromont View Post
This

What'd Bernard Hopkins fight at like 170? You get any welterweight on the UFC roster and take them to Bernard's "hood", and they would whoop anyone's ass there, starting with this clown. One of these guys in "panties" could teabag Bernard as they were snapping his arm in two, and Bernard couldn't do a damn thing about it. He might be singing a different tune after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
There's a reason they called boxing during its golden age "The sweet science". While there's an element of that in UFC there's not nearly enough to hold my attention. Your strengths and assets as a fighter can't be exclusively showcased against that of another fighter's in UFC types of leagues.

It's a regressive version of pugilistic sport. Nothing wrong with that, a game of checkers can be just as fun as chess, but when viewing I'd rather watch chess.
You make fair points, and you obviously like boxing more than MMA, and that is fine, but to use your analogy, boxing would be checkers, and MMA would be chess. All of the stuff you mentioned in boxing, footwork, speed, power, height, reach, lefty/righty, feints, combinations, etc., MMA has all of that, but guys also have to worry about various kicks, being taken down, and all kinds of different submissions. Now I completely understand how if you don't follow the sport closely two guys rolling around on the ground can seem dull, but to those who are very knowledgeable when it comes to wrestling/BJJ, there is a ton going on there to appreciate.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:16 AM
  #81
seafoam
Pedestrian at Best
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 39,070
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I have no thoughts about it whatsoever.
My thoughts are these thoughts, which are technically no thoughts.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:22 AM
  #82
Dusk Soldier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
It's not that the athleticism itself is "simple", it's that the lack of rules creates a more simplistic way of circumventing strengths and weaknesses of opponents. Where as in other sports you're forced to work within the confines of rules with the assets you have. Game plans and strategies in sports with more rules are more complex and create more things for the fans to be interested in.
Just saying........
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Not enough structure to make it enjoyable, rules are there for a reason.

During the Olympics, Taekwondo (sp?), Judo, and all those other fighting events are fun to watch though, because they have rules, and therefore structure.
I don't know who told you guys that the UFC doesn't have rules, but it's not true. There are rules.

Dusk Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:24 AM
  #83
seafoam
Pedestrian at Best
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 39,070
vCash: 50
Yeah you can't hit each other in the balls, that's a rule right?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:21 AM
  #84
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,215
vCash: 70
I've watched a few fights but I was never able to get fully into it.

The UFC games for the PS3 were pretty cool though.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:34 AM
  #85
Zorf
Let's win it all- MR
 
Zorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 500
There's actually a fair amount of rules in the UFC. when it first started there were almost no rules, and that perception has carried on to this day.

Now there are a lot of rules geared to protect the fighters.

No punching/hitting in the back of the head.
No head kicks to a downed opponent
No ball kicks
No eye gouging
No head butting

I think the rules for fighting are actually 3 or 4 pages long.


Also, it should be noted that MMA fights are generally safer than boxing matches. You wouldn't think it, but the fact that the refs call fights when a fighter is hurt, defenceless or knocked out prevents a lot of injuries. Boxing lets guys get knocked down multiple times, and as long as they can stand up and say, "Yes" before the ref counts to 10, they can keep fighting. Having guys fight in thsi state only leads to an increase chance of brain injury.



Sorry for going off topic, butI just wanted to clear that up.

I'm not a big UFC fan, as stated previously, but I would watch that over boxing. Boxing is one sport that I have nto been able to enjoy. Punch, punch, hug. Punch, block, hug.

I think UFC requires more strategy than boxing because you have to prepare for multiple styles of attack.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
  #86
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorf View Post
Also, it should be noted that MMA fights are generally safer than boxing matches. You wouldn't think it, but the fact that the refs call fights when a fighter is hurt, defenceless or knocked out prevents a lot of injuries. Boxing lets guys get knocked down multiple times, and as long as they can stand up and say, "Yes" before the ref counts to 10, they can keep fighting. Having guys fight in thsi state only leads to an increase chance of brain injury.
Thank you!!!!

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
  #87
Disclose
Registered User
 
Disclose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,443
vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
literally zero people have suggested that.
euhh, literally the very first reply went that direction....

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
  #88
disfigured
Registered User
 
disfigured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lowell MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,419
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
You make fair points, and you obviously like boxing more than MMA, and that is fine, but to use your analogy, boxing would be checkers, and MMA would be chess. All of the stuff you mentioned in boxing, footwork, speed, power, height, reach, lefty/righty, feints, combinations, etc., MMA has all of that, but guys also have to worry about various kicks, being taken down, and all kinds of different submissions. Now I completely understand how if you don't follow the sport closely two guys rolling around on the ground can seem dull, but to those who are very knowledgeable when it comes to wrestling/BJJ, there is a ton going on there to appreciate.
Perhaps not the best of analogies on my part.

Let me put it another way using just chess . Sure in UFC all things can be used, but that would be like every piece being a queen. Where as in boxing and other more traditional pugilistic sports you're restrictied to how you can move, which is only further restricted by what type of fighter you are. You have to work within the confines of what assets you have (pieces on the board), and adjust to win.

Not that it doesn't go on in UFC and MMA matches, but it's not nearly as deliberate and calculated as it is in boxing. Strikers can try and grapple and Grapplers can try and strike (box) at any given time. If someone is a Southpaw in boxing you're stuck with that the majority of the fight and there's very little you can do to negate it. If you're hurt in boxing you can only clutch for a few seconds as a respite, etc etc.

@Zorf
It's the rules that restrict movement and major ways of inflicting damage on an opponent in boxing (and other pugilistic sports) that make them more of a thinking man's sport. Not necessarily the ones that exists across the board in all of these sports (rabbit punching, low blows, thumbing, etc etc), those are universally considered a deterrent to the quality and safety of the sport and the combatants.

And yes I agree, because of the standing 8 and gloves, boxing is more dangerous in the long run due to repeated blows. My argument/view isn't about violence due to the lack of rules, it's about the reduced diversity and complexity for the viewer due to the lack of rules.
/
I think it's most evident in that most UFC fighters are very similar. Yes there's a few who carve out niches and have their strengths, but few are "unique" in the way they fight. Where as in boxing Tommy Hearns was not like most fighters.Ray Leornard was text book. Jake LaMotta was well a "Bull". Ali and Fraser were polar opposites yet the juxtaposition of their styles within the restricted confines of the rules of boxing made it work for a vastly more entertaining experience as a viewer. Not to mention because of the lack of restrictions on movement and offense (kicking/grappling), there's very few UFC fighters who are graceful or have any finesse in their styles. Sure there are some who have a more controlled and calculated way of fighting, but there's very little the sport does to showcase these talents.

Hey I'm a Neely/O'Reilly type hockey fan, and I often say to myself I could easily still watch hockey with a league of their clones. But truth be told I'd probably hate it and so would most (hockey fans).

Believe me I tried, and watched a lot of MMA/UFC matches and still do occasionally with "the guys". There's just not enough content there to make it interesting from a viewers/fan perspective. Not for me anyway. Sort of like Rugby. Vastly more physical than most sports, but with few restrictions (rules) about the field of play and interaction between the players, any kind of appreciation beyond that physicality is mostly lost.

To me it's the action movie of sports (UFC specifically). It's exciting, but the plot is nearly always the same and predictable. Occasionally its fun to sit through one, but I'm not going to the theater 3 nights a week to see a new one.

I'm not saying it's crappy, or bad, just trying to explain why it just doesn't do much for me, without belittling it.

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:37 PM
  #89
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
Not to mention because of the lack of restrictions on movement and offense (kicking/grappling), there's very few UFC fighters who are graceful or have any finesse in their styles. Sure there are some who have a more controlled and calculated way of fighting, but there's very little the sport does to showcase these talents.
Meh, I disagree.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:32 PM
  #90
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
Perhaps not the best of analogies on my part.

Let me put it another way using just chess . Sure in UFC all things can be used, but that would be like every piece being a queen. Where as in boxing and other more traditional pugilistic sports you're restrictied to how you can move, which is only further restricted by what type of fighter you are. You have to work within the confines of what assets you have (pieces on the board), and adjust to win.

Not that it doesn't go on in UFC and MMA matches, but it's not nearly as deliberate and calculated as it is in boxing. Strikers can try and grapple and Grapplers can try and strike (box) at any given time. If someone is a Southpaw in boxing you're stuck with that the majority of the fight and there's very little you can do to negate it. If you're hurt in boxing you can only clutch for a few seconds as a respite, etc etc..
Fair enough. I really do think if you learned the nuances of MMA you might appreciate them as you do in boxing. But don't get me wrong, I don't know them either, I typically just let Joe Rogan tell me what exactly's going on.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:10 AM
  #91
Bruv
to here knows when
 
Bruv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: stl
Country: Finland
Posts: 53,775
vCash: 500
meh.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:06 AM
  #92
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 201,985
vCash: 500
Well, if they get rid of Olympic wrestling, they can put in MMA

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:06 AM
  #93
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
I started watching it way back when it started and i prefer the rawness of that era. No weigh classes and no bs showmanship.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:16 AM
  #94
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,449
vCash: 500
I find it hilarious that people who talk about how they don't want to see two naked men wrestle on the ground don't see how ironic, ignorant and telling their comment really is.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:49 AM
  #95
Novacane
Registered User
 
Novacane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 19,239
vCash: 500
I'd watch it if my brother is, but I'm not going to change the channel to it. If that makes sense.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:23 PM
  #96
Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,241
vCash: 500
I couldn't care less about UFC. The 'sport' in it holds no draw for me, I have no interest in watching two men beat the crap out of each other. I appreciate that these fighters have mastered many forms of martial art but I have no desire to watch them exercise their skills on another person. Similarly I don't care for boxing whatsoever, nor do I like fighting in hockey.

The UFC organization itself seems about as crooked as boxing, which is another reason I don't care to watch.

Most of the UFC fans I know are interested in it because they are gamblers. They bet on the fights. Being that I don't gamble that part of it doesn't draw me in either.

Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM
  #97
littleD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 5,180
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
I don't take enjoyment from watching a couple of muscular, sweaty, half-naked men rolling around on a mat playing grab-ass. Some guys do, apparently. My theory is that it is so popular among 18-28 year old males, and basically no other group, because it provides them with a safe avenue to satisfy their latent homoerotic desires without risking exposure to the homophobia that's so rampant among young males.
Really, this is really what you think.

Playing grab-ass, really.

Really, this post is amazingly awful.

Should I at all be surprised that someone mentioned homophobia and homoerotic desires so soon in the the thread? Nope, no I shouldn't.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
  #98
littleD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 5,180
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Not enough structure to make it enjoyable, rules are there for a reason.

During the Olympics, Taekwondo (sp?), Judo, and all those other fighting events are fun to watch though, because they have rules, and therefore structure.
Umm, learn more about the sport before making statements about rules.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
  #99
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
euhh, literally the very first reply went that direction....
The first reply suggested that UFC attracts closeted homosexuals, not that watching it will turn heterosexuals into homosexuals.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:52 PM
  #100
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,884
vCash: 500
Jumped the shark about 3-4 years ago, although there are still 2 fighters I will always watch. Anderson Silva and of course GSP.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.