HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Regin vs. the Sabres

Old
02-06-2013, 01:47 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 2550
Peter Regin vs. the Sabres

Anybody else think Regin played a hell of a game tonight?

Aside from the two (well deserved) assists, I think our little Dane played his butt off. There seemed to a be a definite jump in his step; he was forechecking hard and playing a solid 2-way game. I've gotten used to complaining about his lack of production this season (and pretty much his whole career to be honest) and there seems to be a general consensus that he's afraid to get injured and lays back a bit.

Tonight was a different story though - we all know the talent is there. Maybe he's turned a corner? Or am I just being optimistic because we were playing a Buffalo team that was missing half their D-core?

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:53 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 88
or maybe they told him he was being traded, so he would put on a show to up his value. or it could also be that he got demoted and it motivated him to play better. It could also be that his linemates were making room for him. His second assist was nice, but he needs to have that type of intensity in every game.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:59 AM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 535
Had a rough start. Was UNREAL after that.

McManked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:27 AM
Ed Wood

vCash: 500
He looked good tonight. I guess he's been reading these boards.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Anybody else think Regin played a hell of a game tonight?

Aside from the two (well deserved) assists, I think our little Dane played his butt off. There seemed to a be a definite jump in his step; he was forechecking hard and playing a solid 2-way game. I've gotten used to complaining about his lack of production this season (and pretty much his whole career to be honest) and there seems to be a general consensus that he's afraid to get injured and lays back a bit.

Tonight was a different story though - we all know the talent is there. Maybe he's turned a corner? Or am I just being optimistic because we were playing a Buffalo team that was missing half their D-core?
The talent to be what? A legitimate and consistent 2nd liner on a good team? I've never been convinced of this.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:06 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
The talent to be what? A legitimate and consistent 2nd liner on a good team? I've never been convinced of this.

Talent is there. Just wish we saw it more.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:42 AM
EssendonBombers
classless

Quote:
All those were 3 years and a chronic shoulder injury ago. He hasn't got the same shot anymore.

EssendonBombers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:35 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssendonBombers View Post
All those were 3 years and a chronic shoulder injury ago. He hasn't got the same shot anymore.
That's what scares me. I think he's a good player - a guy that could play very well defensively and pitch in 30-35 points. Maybe better than that by a bit if his shot is still there - but I haven't seen any signs of it this year.

With his former shot, I guess I could see him possibly being a decent 2nd line C, but that's a bit of a stretch imo. I always thought he could be a very good 3rd line C and maintain that now.

It was nice to see him a bit more determined in the offensive zone tonight. He made some things happen and was rewarded with ice time late in the 3rd. I hope that game helps him mentally going forward.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:53 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

He wasn't playing badly, I think most of the criticism was coming from glances at the stat sheet. MacLean never sat him in favor of someone else for that reason.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:57 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:

Ben Eager can score highlight reel goals, too. Should Oiler fans get excited that he could elevate his game? No.

Consistency is part of the game. Regin isn't consistently good enough offensively to be a top-6er.

02-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

I am a huge Regin fan and wouldn't say he had a "hell of a game"

Rough start and managed to get better as the game went on

I still think he's good but he definitely needs to be better

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:17 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post

Ben Eager can score highlight reel goals, too. Should Oiler fans get excited that he could elevate his game? No.

Consistency is part of the game. Regin isn't consistently good enough offensively to be a top-6er.
I completely agree with your point, 100%. But... Ben Eager? If he's scored highlight reel goals I'm gonna need to see proof. lol. Admittedly, I don't get to see much of the West coast games this year, but Ben Eager scoring highlight reel goals is something I'd have to see to believe!

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Quo

It was Buffalo.

I'm pleased with the overall game he showed yesterday but to pretend he's been A-OK leading up to now is silly. Likewise, it's also premature to think that he can maintain even this marginally better level of play from game to game.

Again, it was Buffalo. If Tyler Myers is not such a ******* Regin never gets his first point of the season and is likely pasted into the boards before he can even turn his head around.

He got owned on the first goal, that seemed to give him a spark and he ended up making an impact on the stat sheet and looked better in the other phases of the game. That's good. I hope he keeps it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey
Yes.

Last edited by Quo: 02-06-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: grammar, syntax
Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
SenzZen
Cool Keith

The part where OP spoke of "optimism" and the Sabres depleted D corps. That's what.

And Regin's lucky Myers is so soft otherwise he would have been buried in the corner instead of setting up Neil. Putting himself in those spots is what makes him injury prone.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:46 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssendonBombers View Post
i thought it was reported that the second injury he had was either the other shoulder or a different type if injury. either way, i don't think it's chronic.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:49 AM
SpezDispenser

Big fan of Regin and I would have sat him last night. Shows you how much Mac had faith in him, great work coaching.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:56 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
The part where OP spoke of "optimism" and the Sabres depleted D corps. That's what.

And Regin's lucky Myers is so soft otherwise he would have been buried in the corner instead of setting up Neil. Putting himself in those spots is what makes him injury prone.
Myers was running everyone early in the game. I don't think it's a case of Myers being soft. Looked more like Myers misread Regin, thought he was going to curl back up along the boards toward the point to start a cycle along the boards.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:11 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I've always maintained that on a cup winning roster, aka a great roster with lots of depth, Regin is a perfect 3rd line C. He hasn't looked that good for most of this season so far, but no training camp plus injuries, and him not really paying much competitive hockey are reasons it doesn't surprise me. Am I making excuses for his play? Yes, but sometimes I think excuses can be valid.

I'm just hoping this last game is him finally getting his legs going, and gaining confidence again (IMO why he has been bad) because were really going to need him to step up this year with Spezza gone.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:23 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I've always maintained that on a cup winning roster, aka a great roster with lots of depth, Regin is a perfect 3rd line C. He hasn't looked that good for most of this season so far, but no training camp plus injuries, and him not really paying much competitive hockey are reasons it doesn't surprise me. Am I making excuses for his play? Yes, but sometimes I think excuses can be valid.

I'm just hoping this last game is him finally getting his legs going, and gaining confidence again (IMO why he has been bad) because were really going to need him to step up this year with Spezza gone.
unless you're a montreal canadian

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Regin when at the top of his game (the peaks did not last very long this is true) was one of our best players and MacLean clearly thinks it's worth a shot at trying to get Regin back on track.

Regin has very good vision and is fantastic defensively: he's a a Condra with better hands but nowhere near as strong. If he can improve his strength, which is something that could take a while considering the shoulder injuries, he could be a very useful player.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Indrew

I still remember his two bombs from between the circles in Pittsburgh during that playoff series in 2010. That shot is gone.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quick, lock him up for 7 years @ 3.5

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:45 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

It's hard to fault him in a game where we win 4-3 and he has two primary assists.

He was definitely more dynamic in this game, carrying the puck more, less of a passenger and more of a game-breaker.

I think MacLean's rather diplomatic statement about Regin and Latendresse may have motivated him a bit. He called him out, but noted that he hadn't played in two years and that patience was important.

Yes, it's Buffalo, but we could have found a way to lose that game (sitting back is death!) and Regin was a big part in why we didn't.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:48 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Yes, he fell on that initial Buffalo goal.

Maybe that was the motivation.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:52 AM
SenzZen
Cool Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Myers was running everyone early in the game. I don't think it's a case of Myers being soft. Looked more like Myers misread Regin, thought he was going to curl back up along the boards toward the point to start a cycle along the boards.
Hmmm... Myers was credited for 2 hits in the game- one being the forearm shot on Zibanejad which came after he let Regin beat him in the corner. I'd imagine he got an earful from the coaching staff.

But I agree that it was a terrible play by Myers rather than a great one by Regin, although I have to credit Regin for a great pass after the fact.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote