HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 11:16 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
2013 NHL draft lacks depth of talent
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2013-nh...0848--nhl.html
You literally post this every year.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:26 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
You literally post this every year.
Depth in the 2010 draft sucked
Depth in the 2011 draft sucked
Depth in the 2012 draft sucked

Old
02-05-2013, 11:34 PM
BK201

Quote:
Really thought 2011 was ok, not great but ok and last year sucked.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:53 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
i've always been a proponent of BPA, but it's a little surprising how many people want a D-man.

look at how our defense played without Cowen and Gonchar. look at how our offense has played without Spezza. what do you think we really need?
I 100% agree with this. We need that dynamic forward who can carry a team offensively like Spezza. Spezza turns 30 this year, therefore his prime years are winding down. We need someone to take over for him and I don't think anyone in the system can replace his intangibles.

#1 elite centre at the draft if we are in position to take one.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:59 AM
JackBauer

Quote:
They always start out saying "20XX is going to be one of the best in years." And then 6 months before the draft, the scouts come out and say "we were wrong, there's probably 8-10 good players and the rest of the draft is mediocre." This has literally happened each of the last 4 years.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:24 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
They always start out saying "20XX is going to be one of the best in years." And then 6 months before the draft, the scouts come out and say "we were wrong, there's probably 8-10 good players and the rest of the draft is mediocre." This has literally happened each of the last 4 years.
It was the opposite last year. People were saying, "this draft sucks and it's one of the worst ever" up until maybe two months beforehand, then switched tacks and said, "okay it's not THAT bad."

02-06-2013, 09:05 AM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
It was the opposite last year. People were saying, "this draft sucks and it's one of the worst ever" up until maybe two months beforehand, then switched tacks and said, "okay it's not THAT bad."
They said that 6 months before. But prior to the 2011 draft, people were saying "2011 isn't that great. It's RNH and then it gets weak. But wait for next year, it's really deep." 6 months later, they changed their tune. Then a month before, they switched again. 1-2 years out, scouts always think the draft is going to be really deep.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
i have this nagging feeling we're gonna end up with Max Domi.

Completely serious.
Don't make jokes. A Domi will never play in Ottawa.

Would absolutely love to get Lazar late.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:03 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Don't make jokes. A Domi will never play in Ottawa.

Would absolutely love to get Lazar late.
Don't be so sure, there have been a few Tie Domi sittings in the past at rookie camps and practises from what I remember, there's obviously some-one in the Sens organization with ties to the Domi's.

Personally, I think it would be hilarious if we got him, might as well get Jordan Subban while were at it....hehe

Old
02-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:

Completely serious.
I would be fine picking him anywhere after 15. I'm not sure where the hate comes from regarding him? Is it because his last name is Domi, because he is a hell of a hockey player.

Right now I think Jones is the BPA, but I believe a top line forward is of greater need.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
How did the 2011 draft suck? Chicago is pretty happy already, having Andrew Shaw and Brandon Saad in their line up.

Its way too early to judge any of these drafts but 2011 in particular looks really strong. Lots of depth and the first round was very strong.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
General Granny*

Is it just me or is our US college scouting the weakest out of the rest of the scouting teams.

Only Weircioch looks to be a full time NHLer out of our entire college draftees. Compared to our CHL and Europe prospects, we havent had the same sucess at the US college route.

The only guys that have the potential to make the team is Dzingel and Sdao.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Don't like Subban.

If he grows, then talk to me.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Is it just me or is our US college scouting the weakest out of the rest of the scouting teams.

Only Weircioch looks to be a full time NHLer out of our entire college draftees. Compared to our CHL and Europe prospects, we havent had the same sucess at the US college route.

I think Winchester was a fine player who unfortunately got concussed and it seems to have ended his NHL career.

He wasn't mind blowing but he was a dependable player who would win board battles more often than not.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:06 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Curtis Lazar will be an elite third liner. He screams a Mike Fisher clone to me.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I think Winchester was a fine player who unfortunately got concussed and it seems to have ended his NHL career.

He wasn't mind blowing but he was a dependable player who would win board battles more often than not.
I am talking about drafted guys not signed free agents.

Boyle and Mckormic having an average season, Blood is in the ECHL, Wideman as well (we could have had Marcus Foligno just 4 picks later.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:17 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Only 2012 sucked.

2010 and 11 were good.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I find it interesting that you can determine the depth of a draft only 2 years after it was done.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
I am talking about drafted guys not signed free agents.

Boyle and Mckormic having an average season, Blood is in the ECHL, Wideman as well (we could have had Marcus Foligno just 4 picks later.
You seem a little confused regarding many of these prospects. First off neither Boyle, Wiercioch, Dzingel, Sdao, Blood or McCormick were drafted out of college. Only Wideman was. They were playing in the American junior system (USHL). The USNTDP plays in this league and often plays college teams so maybe that's why you're confusing junior and college.

Furthermore Wideman and Blood have been playing in the Ahl. I believe Widman only played 4 games with Elmira. He's looked very capable in the games I've seen but is a long shot like any other guy drafted where he was.

The USHL is very much a frontier right now for the scouting community. It's difficult to project where players from that league stack up against CHL and Swedish players given the quality of competition they face. The guys you're complaining about are long term projects and late round picks. The only guy who should be expected to make it to the NHL is wiercioch and he's there, looking like a quality pick in the second round.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:35 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Been thinking that if we do go with a d-man, hopefully we take a guy that can really skate. Not saying we need another Karlsson like skater, but everyone on our backend if pretty slow except Erik. Cowen is kinda slow and Ceci isn't the most fleet footed guy either.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:38 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

Greening
Condra
JOB
Wiercioch
Grant
Gryba
Blood
and then their are the guys Murray has signed from the NCAA. There are also a few before Murray, Eaves comes to mind.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

We draft college players in later rounds because you hold their rights longer and can develop their weaknesses longer. We rarely go high for college guys and the guy we did appears to be turning out well. As a while drafting has been good. There aren't any problrms.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Been thinking that if we do go with a d-man, hopefully we take a guy that can really skate. Not saying we need another Karlsson like skater, but everyone on our backend if pretty slow except Erik. Cowen is kinda slow and Ceci isn't the most fleet footed guy either.
How is Cowen slow?

Old
02-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Berserker*

Quote:

Completely serious.
Max Domi would be a really solid pick if we end up picking in the mid-to-late first round. Aside from Domi is we are picking fairly late I would also be interested in drafting Kerby Rychel, Curtis Lazar and Ryan Hartman.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:10 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Bpa

What about Anthony Mantha LW, he seems to have that size & skill combination I like & he has 72 pts including 40 goals & a +16 in 50 games? Could be a Michalek replacement down the road. Not sure where Ottawa will pick but he could be in their ball park. Also Frederick Gauthier C, anybody know anything about him other than he is huge? He also seems to have some good offensive numbers, maybe like Couturier he is a guy who could eventually start on the 4th & work his way up.

On defence Rasmus Ristolainen RD plays the right side & has decent size. No nothing about him except he seems to be slipping in the rankings but still listed as a 1st rder & could be around where Ottawa could be picking.

Ristolainen 21 TPS Turku (FIN) Oct. 27/94 D R 6'3/203 41 2 10 12 -4

Closed Thread