HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Beat Islanders 4-2 | Cole's Not Here, Man

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 09:41 AM
  #101
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,458
vCash: 500
I have been concerned in the early going with the amount of tick tacky roughing, boarding, whatever else calls. I get that they are trying to protect players, but some of these calls are brutal. We still want our game physical.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
  #102
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 34,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
^^ Icings, too. Really slows the game down. Attempted passes should not be icings. I respect hitting the red line. I also want to see auto-icing. Makes it go quicker.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:44 AM
  #103
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
I understand the point, but to be honest refs only did their job. All of those clearly were the right calls, except of maybe one. Discipline, discipline, discipline.
Neal's shove roughing penalty was a joke. Also, Despres' second penalty was crap IMO too. The puck is still within reach of the dude and Despres pushes him against the boards. I don't like that being a penalty as a Dman growing up. I mean what are Despres' options there? Finish his check or let the dude skate around him.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:45 AM
  #104
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,328
vCash: 500
+ Fleury

- Lazy, undisciplined penalties

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:46 AM
  #105
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 29,128
vCash: 500
Not too much to complain about after this one. The lines seem to be clicking, top to bottom. I really like how the defense looks right now, as both Despres and Bortuzzo bring something. And I must say, Orpik-Martin are playing very well in tandem.

Brandon Sutter has played a LOT better since we acquired Zach Boychuk. It's not that he wasn't playing well before, but now he's way more noticeable and he's making much more of a Staal-like impact on a hockey game. Maybe it's just coincidence, but maybe he's now a lot more comfortable.

Fleury played well. If only I could trust him again.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:47 AM
  #106
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I have been concerned in the early going with the amount of tick tacky roughing, boarding, whatever else calls. I get that they are trying to protect players, but some of these calls are brutal. We still want our game physical.
It's really gotten out of control. Apparently now they've even tightened up wish slashing calls where your don't have to "slash" a player near his hands or break his stick in order for it to be called. So basically you have to make sure your stick doesn't come anywhere near the other guy's body or else you're getting called for it. It really is just a matter of time until all physicality is removed from the game entirely.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:48 AM
  #107
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Not too much to complain about after this one. The lines seem to be clicking, top to bottom. I really like how the defense looks right now, as both Despres and Bortuzzo bring something. And I must say, Orpik-Martin are playing very well in tandem.

Brandon Sutter has played a LOT better since we acquired Zach Boychuk. It's not that he wasn't playing well before, but now he's way more noticeable and he's making much more of a Staal-like impact on a hockey game. Maybe it's just coincidence, but maybe he's now a lot more comfortable.

Fleury played well. If only I could trust him again.
In regards to Sutter, I think it simply has more to do with him finally settling into his new role/environment rather than it being due to the arrival of Boychuk.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:48 AM
  #108
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Neal's shove roughing penalty was a joke. Also, Despres' second penalty was crap IMO too. The puck is still within reach of the dude and Despres pushes him against the boards. I don't like that being a penalty as a Dman growing up. I mean what are Despres' options there? Finish his check or let the dude skate around him.
Those 2 and Kunitz's "roughing" or whatever they called his hip check are the ones that stand out to me as "what?"

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:55 AM
  #109
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 29,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Those 2 and Kunitz's "roughing" or whatever they called his hip check are the ones that stand out to me as "what?"
The Kunitz hip check interference call was so bad, it's beyond decription. Basically, they're calling any reasonably 'big' hit as interference now, whether it actually is interference or not. It happened late last night in San Jose, as well. Andrew Desjardins clocked Jamal Mayers with a great shoulder to shoulder hit, and they called him for 5 minute match penalty for a head check. Which is beyond stupid.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:01 AM
  #110
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Those 2 and Kunitz's "roughing" or whatever they called his hip check are the ones that stand out to me as "what?"
Oh yeah somehow I forgot about that one.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
  #111
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams
 
Will Hunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: European Union
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Those 2 and Kunitz's "roughing" or whatever they called his hip check are the ones that stand out to me as "what?"
Reasonerīs penalty which resulted into Nealīs goal was also at least debatable. Refs werenīt that bad on us in this one. And I am usually the one, who likes blaming them. I was furious after that Toronto game. But not the case here.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:13 AM
  #112
Funk311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
In regards to Sutter, I think it simply has more to do with him finally settling into his new role/environment rather than it being due to the arrival of Boychuk.
I would agree and add that Cooke has played 3 improving games in a row, with last night being his most effective. I think that has to do with the whole 3rd line looking better.

I want more out of Sutter. I appreciate the little things, and don't expect him to fill the net. I just want a more noticeable on ice impact. That said, he needs time in many senses, so i will be patient.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:17 AM
  #113
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Reasonerīs penalty which resulted into Nealīs goal was also at least debatable. Refs werenīt that bad on us in this one. And I am usually the one, who likes blaming them. I was furious after that Toronto game. But not the case here.
See I'm not saying the refs were one sided, just that they called a lot of stupid penalties and I've seen too much of it this year. I don't like the way the game is being led. This "new" boarding call is ridiculous. It's one thing if it is a "defenseless" player with his back turned. It's quite another when it is shoulder to shoulder and just gets rocked. Learn how to take a hit or don't play hockey.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:24 AM
  #114
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk311 View Post
I would agree and add that Cooke has played 3 improving games in a row, with last night being his most effective. I think that has to do with the whole 3rd line looking better.

I want more out of Sutter. I appreciate the little things, and don't expect him to fill the net. I just want a more noticeable on ice impact. That said, he needs time in many senses, so i will be patient.
I'm really not expecting anything major from the kid. I envision him being a career 3rd line center that can occasionally help out on the wing, is strong defensively and on the pk, and can maybe chip in with between 30-40 points a season.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:28 AM
  #115
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Fleury showed why he has elite #1 ability. One game never shows pure #1.
Truth. He's not an an elite goalie until he's got a season's worth of numbers to prove it. That said, if he plays well, "well" might be good enough to compete for a Cup and that's what matters. See also: years of not-elite goalies competing for and sometimes winning Cups with Detroit, Tim Thomas, etc.

There are really only a very small handful of guys who you know are going to be statistically excellent every year, so it's not a requirement. Right now those guys are basically: Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, sometimes Luongo. Maybe Howard going forward. And even they have their bad streaks where they're playing like **** for a few games on end.

I just want Fleury to be a consistent, stable presence back there who doesn't look all world one game and like a seive the next. If he can be Top 10 statistically every year, that's more than good enough for me even if he's always closer to 10 than 1.


Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-06-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:32 AM
  #116
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The Kunitz hip check interference call was so bad, it's beyond decription. Basically, they're calling any reasonably 'big' hit as interference now, whether it actually is interference or not. It happened late last night in San Jose, as well. Andrew Desjardins clocked Jamal Mayers with a great shoulder to shoulder hit, and they called him for 5 minute match penalty for a head check. Which is beyond stupid.
Yup the reffing has been brutal, we saw a few in our game last night, still can't believe that interference call on Despres, just brutal considering the puck was right there

The Mayers hit you just saw the refs were lost and had no clue what they were doing, they killed the momentum of a great hockey game

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:39 AM
  #117
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 34,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
People also need to remember.. Sutter is still working with his linemates to get chemistry. The line juggling effected him because he needs time to work with Cooke/TK. Staal has years with those guys.

That's why I believe it's important to not juggle lines and let Sutter work with his group.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
  #118
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
People also need to remember.. Sutter is still working with his linemates to get chemistry. The line juggling effected him because he needs time to work with Cooke/TK. Staal has years with those guys.

That's why I believe it's important to not juggle lines and let Sutter work with his group.
Haven't seen your thoughts on Boychuk yet... Any thoughts on Boychuk?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:44 AM
  #119
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 18,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
People also need to remember.. Sutter is still working with his linemates to get chemistry. The line juggling effected him because he needs time to work with Cooke/TK. Staal has years with those guys.

That's why I believe it's important to not juggle lines and let Sutter work with his group.
I'm not convinced that line is going to work in the playoffs. It's a different dynamic. Staal was a monster for us along the boards. Cooke/TK just needed to keep the cycle going. Sutter doesn't have that same presence in terms of puck possession.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:47 AM
  #120
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 34,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Haven't seen your thoughts on Boychuk yet... Any thoughts on Boychuk?
You can't teach speed. He is lightning quick and that NHL speed has helped that line out. I think I can see the frustrations of the Canes because his vision, grit, and scoring ability isn't top knotch, but I think a change of scenery could open it up.

I think he's #1 out of Tangradi, DJ, etc. for now.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:48 AM
  #121
WarriorScholar
Registered User
 
WarriorScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,008
vCash: 500
Boychuk is Sutter's " Jiri Hrdina"?

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:48 AM
  #122
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 34,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
A question to you folks...

If Boychuk pans out and stays on that 1b line. If our defense continues it's dominance this season (probably not as likely). If we do not have any injuries...

What the hell do we do at the deadline?

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:50 AM
  #123
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
A question to you folks...

If Boychuk pans out and stays on that 1b line. If our defense continues it's dominance this season (probably not as likely). If we do not have any injuries...

What the hell do we do at the deadline?
try to move Niskanen - yes, i know people will want the depth for the playoffs, maybe I'm nuts - and Kennedy in part of a deal that nets a true top-6 winger to pair with Sid and move Dupuis to Kennedy's spot on the 3rd line, imo.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:50 AM
  #124
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams
 
Will Hunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: European Union
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'm not convinced that line is going to work in the playoffs. It's a different dynamic. Staal was a monster for us along the boards. Cooke/TK just needed to keep the cycle going. Sutter doesn't have that same presence in terms of puck possession.
Yeah, exactly. Thatīs the biggest difference between them.. Cycling abilities and offensive puck possession. But "Real Sutter" is slowly coming. Heīs getting better by every game. We were under heavy pressure on Long Island and thatīs the game where you can see how important Sutter is. Lots of precise defensive work and dangerous on counterattacks. Thatīs his game and he at least matches Staalīs level in these aspects.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:53 AM
  #125
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,891
vCash: 500
Simon Despres is having a coming out party of sorts. He's an NHL defenseman.

This is the MAF that we see when he's pushed by a really good backup. Our goaltending tandem has me really excited.

I thought that Orpik-Martin pairing is so money right now. I hope they can both keep their play at this level. If they can, we're set.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.