HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to make Moves?? (Post trade proposals & rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
It is interesting to see the mood shifts in here.

Don't expect any earth shattering turnarounds from the addition of Bailey and Visnovsky. I also agree Snow won't be making any moves, but if he did I would probably make it for a power forward for Tavares' line.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Lubomir Visnovsky....I can see how you could forget though considering the trade happened so long ago.....
I'll start this off by saying I was/am happy with the Viz trade. BUT I don't really consider trading a second round pick for a 36 dman coming off a bad year and about one year from retirement as an impact trade.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

vCash: 500
Why would other teams trade their good players now?

Old
02-05-2013, 11:35 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Streit should be gone by the trade deadline. Vis will take over his role and do it better. Streit has been terrible on the PP and 5 on 5.
He's a liability defensively which is sad since he's a defenseman. He gets beat every time a forward goes to the outside with speed.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:41 PM
kasper11

No, this is not the time to make a move.

The Isles are not good enough to compete this year. I think they were hurt as much as any team by the lockout...between the Vis situation, playing in possibly the toughest division in hockey, and lacking the depth to get through a condensed season.

The Isles played a couple of good games, but Aucoin is a fringe player, not a top scorer; Nielsen isn't going to suddenly turn into a 70 point player (his pace); it is doubtful that Grabner, who has been a streaky player, stays at a pace for 45+ goals; etc.

Adding Ryan or Yandle isn't going to change that. Trading for one of them now would be paying a premium for the extra season they are under contract.

I think Snow needs to make an impact move in the offseason, but I don't think he needs to make a panic move trying for a miracle this season. I would rather wait, see how our prospects progress, see which of our players looks like a key part going forward. Just think, two weeks ago, most people would have traded Grabner over Okposo. Now it would be a bit different. Two months from now, who knows.

And for people who think that adding a young player would automatically speed up the rebuild, Phil Kessel.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 300
I thought the PP was ok tonight, just got robbed by Fluery but no doubt Vis will help out, and just help out in general for transition. There will be a healthy mix of puck moving and shutdown D with guys like Lubo, Streit, MacDonald, Hamonic, Strait and Carkner.

Adding Lubo helps so much, and bumps down Hickey (and hopefully Finley) to improve depth.

Then there is Bailey. Bailey adds secondary scoring, pking ability and once again, improves the depth we have. Reasoner sucks, so hopefully we will see these lines post Bailey:

Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Bailey-Aucoin-Ullstrom
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-Strait
Visnovsky-Carkner

Gotta say, it looks pretty nice. Just need Tavares to return to form and to get the third line going again, and with Bailey there should be a jump. And that fourth line? Turns from liability to energy.

Give Lubo some time to come in and then he can get more minutes. Even on the third pairing he should see 17 minutes easily given his PP skills. Also, he's a guy who can fill in the odd shift for the top pairing to get a breather.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:08 AM
giddy up*

Maybe not now, but moves to improve the team need to be made this offseason the latest. Enough is enough. We have the building secured and we have prospects. Now there should be no more excuses for not signing or trading for difference makers.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Lubomir Visnovsky....I can see how you could forget though considering the trade happened so long ago.....
Its easy to forget a guy that has not played a game for the team and will most likely play less than 30 games for this franchise. Besides Vis I honestly do not remember any roster players added via trade that played more than a season here. I guess Wiz would be the next biggest trade he made and he played about 40 games here.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:23 AM
DeanCrandall

Signing Parenteau would have solved all this. Last year we had the # 1 line working and the PP but lacked depth on the 3rd-4th lines. Now we fixed 3-4 but keep trying to fix the # 1 line. Snow continues to chase his tail, and the word rebuild is still being used for the past 20 years.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post
Signing Parenteau would have solved all this. Last year we had the # 1 line working and the PP but lacked depth on the 3rd-4th lines. Now we fixed 3-4 but keep trying to fix the # 1 line. Snow continues to chase his tail, and the word rebuild is still being used for the past 20 years.
yeah i love how other teams rebuild in a few years and compete and we have been in the latest rebuild for about 5 years now and still wind up with lottery picks and plucking a lot of guys from waivers.

the bottom line is we are a mismanaged franchise and have been for decades, if things at the top dont change nothing on the ice will.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Im not reacting over this game or the last but am I the only one who thinks its time for Garth to grow some balls and Call PHX about Yandle and ANA about Perry/Ryan

We got plenty of assets that we have attained...

*ANA playing well so they might not ant to move anyone just yet...

I mean even CBJ Carter ... I know he was unhappy there but they still got Jack Johnson and a 1st out of the deal.

What are some of the thoughts of my fellow fans
I been saying it is time for a move since last season.
I agree with you that it is time to make some move.
However who would we be offering up ?

Old
02-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Fantom

I would be willing to move Nino/Baily if the return was decent.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:18 AM
IslandersFan17

Islanders should be sellers not buyers if anything. The FA pool next year is not too bad and I am sure a contender would be willing to give the Islanders a decent return for Streit.

This years draft is STACKED, the more picks we have the better, so sell off pieces and hope next year the Islanders can spend big knowing they are moving to a state of the art arena in Brooklyn.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:30 AM
xECK29x

We technically will be making moves, the additions of Bailey and Vis.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
yeah i love how other teams rebuild in a few years and compete and we have been in the latest rebuild for about 5 years now and still wind up with lottery picks and plucking a lot of guys from waivers.

the bottom line is we are a mismanaged franchise and have been for decades, if things at the top dont change nothing on the ice will.
Which teams are that? Florida, who went 10 years without making the playoffs, brought in a ton of new players to make the playoffs one year and look terrible again?

Edmonton who missed the playoffs six straight years and got three straight #1s?

Columbus, who has made the playoffs 1 time in 12 years? Atlanta/Winnipeg? Toronto?

LA missed the playoffs six straight years before their rebuild was done. Chicago missed the playoffs 9 of 10 times before getting good.

Actual rebuilds take a long time if you don't have significant pieces in place when you start. The Isles started the rebuild after the 06-07 season. There are three players still on the roster that were in the system at that point (MacDonald, Nielsen, Okposo) plus DP. There was almost nothing of value on the roster. You have to realize that our rebuild started with the draft class of 07-08. Those players are now 23, and they are the first wave of the rebuild.

Yes, I was hoping to see significant improvement this season. But, I think the lockout makes this season an anomaly.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:53 AM
goal1228

This board is so Manic. We win a few games and we are going to the cup. We lose a few and we are going to be picking top 5 again in this years draft. No team is trading an impact player at this time of the season.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:05 AM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

I don't think many moves need to be made. There are only two positions I can see this team addressing through trade or free agency, and that would be another PMD and possibly a goaltender if they aren't happy with Poulin and Nilsson. Other than that, I expect this team to fill the holes at forward with prospects. Guys like Nino and Strome are virtual locks to be in this lineup in the near future, and I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them here as early as opening night 2013-14. On paper, there aren't many available spots after that:

Moulson - Tavares - Niederreiter
Bailey/Nelson - Strome - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Ullstrom
Martin - Cizikas/Aucoin - McDonald/Cizikas/Lee

Defensively is where it starts to get interesting. As of now, the guys under contract for next season are MacDonald, Carkner and Strait. Hamonic is an RFA and will be re-signed. So that's four. IF Streit is not re-signed, we will need to bring in another PMD to replace him. Whether that be Yandle or someone else, the fact that every other defenseman we have is defense-oriented makes it a necessity. That would leave one open spot, which I would expect to be given to a prospect. I would expect to see at least 5 or 6 kids competing for it, and my gut tells me it will be Reinhart(we will need more size, since Carkner is our only "big" defenseman but he can't be relied upon in key situations). Having a big defender who is reliable defensively will help in a lot of different areas, especially the PK.

After that is goaltending, which is a huge unknown at this point. I love Nabokov, but I don't know how much mileage he has left beyond this year. Either way, we need to start planning for the future, so even if we keep him for next season I'd like to bring in another guy who we can count on for next season and beyond. There should be a couple of options next offseason.

So all in all, I can see the Isles making a big splash if Streit is not re-signed. Other than that, maybe they will make a move for a lower level goalie with upside(think Lindback with TB) but the rest of the holes I expect to be filled with youth.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Sneekypete

With an April 3rd trade deadline the Isles will know by then if they are buyers or sellers. IMO the addition of Bailey and Vish will be enough to see where this team is going over the next 2 months. ALso IMO tis deadline will be a HUGE market especially with cap and money ramifications on the table. If the Islanders are in it great and if not sell for up and comers/high endish pics.........

Old
02-06-2013, 10:38 AM
stranger34

Strip the C off streit

Old
02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
With an April 3rd trade deadline the Isles will know by then if they are buyers or sellers. IMO the addition of Bailey and Vish will be enough to see where this team is going over the next 2 months. ALso IMO tis deadline will be a HUGE market especially with cap and money ramifications on the table. If the Islanders are in it great and if not sell for up and comers/high endish pics.........
This

Old
02-06-2013, 11:05 AM
twentytwo

Not the time to make moves and as others have said, the price to bring in an impact player will likely be sky high.

I believe they will wait until the offseason to make their moves.

I think the first priority should be getting a legitimate player to play alongside Tavares and Moulson. Someone like Bobby Ryan would be ideal but it remains to be seen what the Ducks will do regarding Getzlaf and Perry.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Islanders should be sellers not buyers if anything. The FA pool next year is not too bad and I am sure a contender would be willing to give the Islanders a decent return for Streit.

This years draft is STACKED, the more picks we have the better, so sell off pieces and hope next year the Islanders can spend big knowing they are moving to a state of the art arena in Brooklyn.
But it takes two parties to sign a contract. As recent history has shown us, the players don't usually come here, especially top end ones. So having said that, I wouldn't hang my hat on that if I were you...

Old
02-06-2013, 11:15 AM
redbull
movin'on up

I think the only moves we'll see this year will be very minor.

I can see Boyes or Visnovsky being traded at the deadline if the Isles aren't close to a playoff spot, but I think they will "seem like" they are in the hunt by then.

I HOPE they re-sign Nabokov for another year. They need him. He's been great for this team.

I HOPE they re-sign Striet. I know many of you dump on him but we'd be pure STUPID to NOT bring this guy back. The world is FILLED with players that SNUB this team, we have a very solid NHL dman, our captain, who may have his ups and downs but to get rid of him would be ABSURD. Especially given it's our weakest position.

I expect them to re-sign Bailey, Hamonic and Ullstrom.

And not much else.

I'm HOPING they manage to bring in TWO top UFAs, a forward and a defenseman, but I'm not holding my breath. I've seen this episode before.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
scott99

I would love to see Okposo go in a package for Evander Kane, he'D be perfect on Tavares' line. Otherwise, I expect Streit, Vis and Nabaokov to be gone by mid-March if the Isles are out of it. The Isles have not played bad the last two games, in fact, they played well enough to win both games. They've just been stoned by great goaltending the last 2 games. IF they continue to play the same way, I expect them to be in the thick of things playoffwise.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:03 PM
CDirt

The only move that really needs to be made is to fire Cappy and bring in a coach that knows what he is doing. Cappy has to be the worst coach in the game right now. Steve Sterling was brought in under simialar circumstances but at least this franchise figured out that they goofed.

How is this clown going on his third season?

This team needs a change behind the bench.

Closed Thread