HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Make or Break Year for Q?

Old
02-06-2013, 09:51 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Don't worry when the law of averages evens out and the Hawks lose four close games out of five everyone will be calling for his head again.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:54 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I think there was a clear divide on whether Q should stay or go. 75% in favor of him going, 25% wanting him to stay. I just wish the people that were calling for his head the last two years would recognize the improvements. He's done a great job.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:56 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Don't worry when the law of averages evens out and the Hawks lose four close games out of five everyone will be calling for his head again.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I think there was a clear divide on whether Q should stay or go. 75% in favor of him going, 25% wanting him to stay. I just wish the people that were calling for his head the last two years would recognize the improvements. He's done a great job.
None of it matters if we get out in the WCQF the third straight year.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
He's certainly turned things around.

You could make the case that they've done it by doing what people have been telling them to do for so long. More consistent lines, better team defensive play, yadda yadda yadda, but the bottom line is this team is excelling in so many ways that no one saw coming, and Q and Co. are some of the biggest reasons why.

He still has his baffling moments, but when you watch an organization closely enough, everyone in it will probably baffle you at some point.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
So if we were 5-4-1 no one would be complaining then, right?

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:56 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
So if we were 5-4-1 no one would be complaining then, right?
This place would be a living hell.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:09 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

How can anyone be overly upset with any of the coaching this season? The roster hasn't changed much at all (Saad, Roszival, and 2C Bolland) but they're playing 10x better than they ever were last year.

PK dominance, puck possession dominance, decent PP. For all the flak the coaching staff got last year, they deserve credit for turning things around

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

I am still not a fan of his. Most of the decisions he has made this season (like D-pairings) that have resulted in improved play have been fairly obvious to make.

I will reserve full judgment on him until the playoffs begin.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Sevanston

Honestly though, at this point it looks like everyone was wrong about this team. All of the memes from the offseason like

"Same team, same results"
"Fire Bowman/Q/Kitchen"
"We need new goalies"
"Trade Kane/Kruger/Frolik"
etc.

are all looking flat-out wrong right now.

Still lots of hockey left to play though, so we'll see what happens. Winning soothes all pain, but this kind of winning can't last all season. And we all know that anything short of the Cup will cause all kinds of debate.

Last edited by Sevanston: 02-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Well, before we go too far overboard, let's not forget that we started out last year pretty damn well before hitting the mother of all sinkholes.

But agreed, the Hawks have exceeded my wildest expectations. If you told me during the preseason that the Hawks would be 8-0-2 ten games in, I'd be deliriously happy.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Cullksinikers

I honestly said the Hawks would have one of the best starts of all the teams since they were most similar but didn't have Cup aspiration due to the "same team, same results" mentality.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:33 AM
coldsteelonice84

I thought they would start out really hot too but at this point it is starting to become clear that it will continue because of the vastly improved penalty kill and makeup of the team. Saad replacing Brunette alone has helped a lot too. Big difference. I thought teams would start to catch up to the Hawks as they got their legs under them but now I am questioning whether that will happen. This team looks a cut above everyone else in the league, just needs a few tweeks and should be the favorite for the Cup.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Honestly though, at this point it looks like everyone was wrong about this team. All of the memes from the offseason like

"Same team, same results"
"Fire Bowman/Q/Kitchen"
"We need new goalies"
"Trade Kane/Kruger/Frolik"
etc.

are all looking flat-out wrong right now.

Still lots of hockey left to play though, so we'll see what happens. Winning soothes all pain, but this kind of winning can't last all season. And we all know that anything short of the Cup will cause all kinds of debate.
Don't want to gloat, but I never thought any of this, aside from maybe trade Kruger and Frolik, which I am still OK with.

I always said, same team doesn't equal same results (chemistry is a big factor). I've always been a supporter of Bowman and Q, and for the most part, always said as long as we get Crawford of 10-11 we are OK with our goalies.

But ya, the season and playoffs aren't over yet.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:22 PM
coldsteelonice84

Well, it's not the same team. The addition by substraction has helped a lot. Saad, we all loved him and waited for him and now that he is here, we are seeing what we all saw in preseason games, practice and training camps.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

Quote:
Well, it's not the same team. The addition by substraction has helped a lot. Saad, we all loved him and waited for him and now that he is here, we are seeing what we all saw in preseason games, practice and training camps.
Most of us did.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
But weren't you one of the main guys saying same team = same results?

The team hasn't changed since you said that, the players are just better than what most gave them credit for.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:05 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
But weren't you one of the main guys saying same team = same results?

The team hasn't changed since you said that, the players are just better than what most gave them credit for.
The old vets we had last year slowed the team down. We talked about it then but I definitely underestimated how much it was holding us back. And yes, some of the players have definitely improved, mostly their consistency, whether it be a star like Kane or a working player like Kruger.

My gripe was definitely with the lack of moves, and I still stand by it. I've always maintained that this team was a 2C away from winning a Cup and I still believe that to be a major need.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
The old vets we had last year slowed the team down. We talked about it then but I definitely underestimated how much it was holding us back. And yes, some of the players have definitely improved, mostly their consistency, whether it be a star like Kane or a working player like Kruger.

My gripe was definitely with the lack of moves, and I still stand by it. I've always maintained that this team was a 2C away from winning a Cup and I still believe that to be a major need.
I agree, but even after we rid ourselves of them, people were saying it was the same team. This is the 1st year since the cup year that we kept the majority of our players from the previous year. I think that is a big reason why the team is playing so well, they are more famaliar with each other out there.

And I agree again, but there was nothing that great out there to make the 2nd line C any better than what we had unless we massively overpaid.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:10 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I agree, but even after we rid ourselves of them, people were saying it was the same team. This is the 1st year since the cup year that we kept the majority of our players from the previous year. I think that is a big reason why the team is playing so well, they are more famaliar with each other out there.
Agreed, in a cap world, continuity is a way to gain an advantage. We saw it 2010 and we are seeing that now too. Like any dramatic change, and the differnce between last year and this year definitely is dramatic, it comes down to a number of different things (if it is legit and not just luck) and I think we can point to a bunch of things that have changed and been contributing factors.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
And I agree again, but there was nothing that great out there to make the 2nd line C any better than what we had unless we massively overpaid.
Well yeah, I remember the rumors of Dallas wanting Saad for Ribeiro and I said hell no just like everyone else, it was just too much. Now, however, the same guy is in the East and probably on his way out. The shoe is on the other foot this time. If he gets dealt, I want us to be the team that gets him.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Well yeah, I remember the rumors of Dallas wanting Saad for Ribeiro and I said hell no just like everyone else, it was just too much. Now, however, the same guy is in the East and probably on his way out. The shoe is on the other foot this time. If he gets dealt, I want us to be the team that gets him.
With ya on all counts. Although, I really don't want to see our 1st, Danault, McNeill, TT, or Clendening traded for him. I could care less what the pieces are as long as it's not those 5.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:23 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
With ya on all counts. Although, I really don't want to see our 1st, Danault, McNeill, TT, or Clendening traded for him. I could care less what the pieces are as long as it's not those 5.
My stance is I like our prospects and feel we are in good shape. They are going to want something significant though, especially since it's an in season trade. I'm totally comfortable with giving up the 1st. It blows and I know this is a great draft, but I think we have a good stable of guys and will be fine without it. Maybe we can pry a 3rd coming back the other way since we already don't have a 2nd and 3rd. Also, ideally we could give them a 2014 1st instead, but with McPhee on the hot seat, I think he is going to want something that could help sooner than that.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

still a long way to go but things turned out better than expected. Just look at the special teams & goaltending.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bump... I think this thread deserves it and it was truly a make year for him.

Speaking about Q, has he signed the 3 or 4 year contract extension already?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote