HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings after Anson Carter...?

Old
07-04-2006, 01:43 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

vCash: 500
if he loves LA so much then hey should give us a big discount...

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
of all the recent trade deadline busts Carter was about the only one I wouldn't have re-signed. he won't have linemates like the Sedin sisters to play with here and will be a bust again.
9 out of 10 Kings fans said that last Summer, too, and look how wrong that turned to to be. People who were recently so very wrong shouldn't be making such bold statements, IMO.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:48 AM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
of all the recent trade deadline busts Carter was about the only one I wouldn't have re-signed. he won't have linemates like the Sedin sisters to play with here and will be a bust again.
Either that or he's good for 20-25 goals, a healthy year, and is used properly under a familiar coach. It's sure not a lock, but I hope for the latter.

Vegas, on a side note, your Chevy and my Oglethorpe are undoubtedly the two best afro'd avatars on ALL of HF!

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:53 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
9 out of 10 Kings fans said that last Summer, too, and look how wrong that turned to to be. People who were recently so very wrong shouldn't be making such bold statements, IMO.
that's neither heresay because it's sooooo easy to say that NOW.

JR anyone?

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:50 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
One thing about MC... he put Carter with the Sedins, and left Carter with the Sedins... and, at one point, San Jose's GM Doug Wilson was on XM (fairly early in the season) expressing DISAPPOINTMENT in Carter's play (and he had already scored some goals...) so it took a full season to finally see his value with the same linemates. Now, we in Los Angeles haven't seen set lines for more than 5 or 6 games over the past 7 seasons, so until we see what DL and MC conjure up, it would be hard to tell how and where a guy like Carter... or ANY FORWARD for that matter, is going to FIT.

The good news... if something works, Crawford won't screw with it.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:59 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
I would rather take a chance on a guy like Lindros, Nolan, Allison or Peca who would all come cheap than sign Carter to a fat long term deal.
I agree about Allison...i admit i didnt see him play last season, and he may have regressed...but he was so good pre-injuries that he should still be a big producer offensively....Peca, on the other hand, i doubt would come too cheap after the playoffs he had...

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 04:38 AM
zeppelin97

Carter is definately an enigma in my eyes. Wouldn't be that bad of a signing, but at $3M???? Hell no.

IMO, Carter needs to stay in Vancouver. Hes got a good thing going there (w/ the sedins).

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 06:52 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
I agree about Allison...i admit i didnt see him play last season, and he may have regressed...but he was so good pre-injuries that he should still be a big producer offensively....Peca, on the other hand, i doubt would come too cheap after the playoffs he had...
Allison was PPG last season.

He was as good as before (as you can imagine), but he faced a lot of undue criticism in TO and really stepped it up a few times (ie, going on scoring tears) when people were on his back the most.

Whatever you think of him, you have to admit he's a competitor.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Big Daddy

No thanks, you could have put a 4"x4" post in front of the net and it would have had as many goals as Carter last year considering he was with the twins.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:31 AM
The Judge

Quote:
Maybe, but he loves L.A. and always wanted to play here. I think that he'd love to return, especially with Crawford and a very different team. Think of it this way: he may be too superstitious to risk playing for someone other than Crawford, the coach that he owes his comeback to. I think that that may be a stronger force than being afraid of returning to the team.Tip for Judge: read the whole thread before replying
My bad

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:56 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Quote:

Again, we don't have the offensive talent that the Canucks do/did. The Naslund/Morrison/Bertuzzi line didn't have the best of years but they still drew the opposing teams top defense pairing. On paper the second line he played on last year will be better than anything we'll be able to put together next year if he was to sign with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
Vegas, on a side note, your Chevy and my Oglethorpe are undoubtedly the two best afro'd avatars on ALL of HF!
I thought they looked pretty awesome together. I hadn't posted here in two years so I wasn't even sure that was still my avatar.

The VEGASKING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:21 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Again, we don't have the offensive talent that the Canucks do/did. The Naslund/Morrison/Bertuzzi line didn't have the best of years but they still drew the opposing teams top defense pairing. On paper the second line he played on last year will be better than anything we'll be able to put together next year if he was to sign with us.
actually for pretty much the entire 2nd half, or at the very least the last 1/3rd of the season, the Sedin line saw the oppositions top checkers every game, not the Naslund line.

although, I agree with those that have said it was the Sedins carrying that line, not Carter... I wouldn't be surprised if we could have gotten several other players in that role that could have put up similar point totals.

having said that, Carter did his job last year... he wasn't hurt, and there really wasn't a whole lot to complain about with him... he wasn't playing soft, or defensively irresponsible... he wasnt' streaky, or disinterested out there. He did his job all season long. Although playing with the Sedins, that couldn't be hard... everytime they're on the ice, they are usually controlling the puck in the offensive zone, so there isn't much defensive worry with that line... and if it's in the defensive zone, it's usually Henrik or Daniel that are on top of the play and get the puck out quickly.

All Carter had to do last season was worry about positioning... be in the right place at the right time... and he did an excellent job with that... still that's not worth $3+mill. Apparently the canucks are $1mill off of his demand right now, so I'm guessing that Nonis has offered him $2-2.5mill overall, and Carter wants $3-3.5mill, and on a long term deal. Good luck to him elsewhere if he wants that... he's a good player in the right situation, but $$ like that, you need more.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
Either that or he's good for 20-25 goals, a healthy year, and is used properly under a familiar coach. It's sure not a lock, but I hope for the latter.

Think this is more likely. I like Carter always have. I don't have a problem with picking him up again.

O yea. If I had to make a choice I would take good old Samsonov. And pray he stays healthy.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:25 AM
johnjm22

I'm Ok with it as long as it's only a 1 year deal.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:28 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post

The good news... if something works, Crawford won't screw with it.
I think you are way off on Crawford... well sort of... if something works he won't screw with them, until he has a bad game where it doesn't work.

Carter was the first player that has played an entire season with the Sedins... before that, they played with Linden, Klatt, Keane, Brookbank, Cooke, Sanderson, Rucinsky, and King. And that was just the past 4 seasons!

Crow will mix his lines during games a lot... he's not a good matchup coach, so when the team gets behind, Crow will mix every line looking for chemistry and will keep doing that until the team plays better.

until last season the only line that he kept together was the Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi unit (WCE line). because they were basically on fire for most of the years until last year... last year when things didn't go well, he had Bert with Cooke and Kesler... then with Ruutu and Kesler... he played Naslund on a different line... he had Morrison bouncing between lines... in fact last season the only line which stayed intact was the Sedin unit with Carter, because they were basically consistent from the start of the season.

This offseason when the Sedins were interviewed about Carter's situation, their response - "doesn't matter, we've been used to playing with different players every year, so it won't make a difference next season" ... of course they'd rather have him back since they enjoyed playing with him... but they've been quoted on this, that they don't really care either way, since they're used to playing with a revolving group of wingers anyways.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:42 AM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I think you are way off on Crawford... well sort of... if something works he won't screw with them, until he has a bad game where it doesn't work.

Carter was the first player that has played an entire season with the Sedins... before that, they played with Linden, Klatt, Keane, Brookbank, Cooke, Sanderson, Rucinsky, and King. And that was just the past 4 seasons!

Crow will mix his lines during games a lot... he's not a good matchup coach, so when the team gets behind, Crow will mix every line looking for chemistry and will keep doing that until the team plays better.

until last season the only line that he kept together was the Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi unit (WCE line). because they were basically on fire for most of the years until last year... last year when things didn't go well, he had Bert with Cooke and Kesler... then with Ruutu and Kesler... he played Naslund on a different line... he had Morrison bouncing between lines... in fact last season the only line which stayed intact was the Sedin unit with Carter, because they were basically consistent from the start of the season.

This offseason when the Sedins were interviewed about Carter's situation, their response - "doesn't matter, we've been used to playing with different players every year, so it won't make a difference next season" ... of course they'd rather have him back since they enjoyed playing with him... but they've been quoted on this, that they don't really care either way, since they're used to playing with a revolving group of wingers anyways.
I wonder some times if some people actually watch other coaches coach. AM keeps his lines together more than almost any other coach in hockey. Certainly not all the time, but I think these people will be absolutely stunned and amazed with how often MC mixes his lines.

Thanks for being a voice of reason.

jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:10 PM
riseandfall9

If he shaves his ugly hair....And its a 1 year deal, i wouldnt mind

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:30 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt View Post
I wonder some times if some people actually watch other coaches coach. AM keeps his lines together more than almost any other coach in hockey. Certainly not all the time, but I think these people will be absolutely stunned and amazed with how often MC mixes his lines.

Thanks for being a voice of reason.
Wow, I completely disagree... and I watch way more hockey than the average viewer.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:55 PM
jt

Seriously, I'm surprised at that because I'm such a dork that I sit and track AM's lines...and I did it with Robinson and Melrose. And I do it most of the time when I watch other teams. I'm just a big dork like that. And MOST coaches change their lines more than AM. Not all, but most. In fact, over the last 3 seasons I've read articles about line-changing and AM is specifically noted as a guy who keeps his lines together much more often...and it's mentioned almost as a criticism. If I knew the keywords to google I would so I could give you links.

But just for the sake of it...what coaches do you think change up lines less often than AM?

jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:59 PM
VisionQuest*

Some of you are forgetting the he was badly injured at the end of 03/04 when we got him.
It wasn't disclosed to the press as much more than a standard injury , but rest assured it was far worse than that.
I think hes a low-risk investment. Kings are far under the cap at this point, have some wiggle room, and can use another forward.
If guys like Kopitar and O'Sullivan make a splash in camp, maybe some combination of the three produces something similar to what the Sedin's were able to accomplish with Carter.
Crawford will have a good idea of how to get the most out of Anson's game.
I say bring him in. we have nothing to lose.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:06 PM
KINGLEWOOD

I think Carter would be a good addition, the good thing is MC know's exactly how to use him and where he's effective. I think he would look good playing on the side of Kopitar, myself.

I agree he really stunk with the Kings for those 11 games or so, it was obvious he struggled on the ice. Plain and simple DT shouldn't have traded for an injured player to help the team secure a playoff spot. Infact he did it again this year with Sopel.

IMO a healthy Carter would be a nice addition to the Kings, and it could be great for the NHL.

KINGLEWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:08 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
Some of you are forgetting the he was badly injured at the end of 03/04 when we got him.
It wasn't disclosed to the press as much more than a standard injury , but rest assured it was far worse than that.
I think hes a low-risk investment. Kings are far under the cap at this point, have some wiggle room, and can use another forward.
If guys like Kopitar and O'Sullivan make a splash in camp, maybe some combination of the three produces something similar to what the Sedin's were able to accomplish with Carter.
Crawford will have a good idea of how to get the most out of Anson's game.
I say bring him in. we have nothing to lose.
The only problem is he wont come cheap and is looking for a long term deal. If its something like 3 years at 3M per year I won't mind too much but no more than that.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEWOOD View Post
Infact he did it again this year with Sopel.
Yep, another case where the injury was far worse than let on.

Old
07-04-2006, 01:11 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
The only problem is he wont come cheap and is looking for a long term deal. If its something like 3 years at 3M per year I won't mind too much but no more than that.

I think 2 years, 6.5-6.75.
He's another guy that could be moved at the trade deadline for picks/prospects if the situation is appropriate.

Old
07-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

doesnt he have beef with avery? i mean, he is black, and we know how avery responds to that

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote