HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If we do land Seth Jones...

Old
02-06-2013, 01:33 AM
PAZ

vCash: 50
If we do land Seth Jones...

So say we tanked, landed a top 3 pick, and drafted Jones. How would you like to see him developed? Not many defensemen have had great success in their draft year, and some can say it could've hindered their development (Larsson, Hedman, Myers, etc). I'm not saying they aren't good defensemen, they just had huge amount of hype, while players like Pietrangelo had time to develop and is arguably the most promising young defenseman at the moment.

So what would you choose?

Throw him into the NHL right away and hope for the best?
Give him an NHL stint and then send him back to Juniors?
Let him play another year in Junior and develop more?
Send him to the KHL?
Lock him in Sherman's basement with 4 black walls and Dora the Explorer reruns?

Last edited by PAZ: 02-06-2013 at 01:46 AM.
PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:35 AM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

vCash: 242
in the nhl right away, i might even go as far and saying he would be our second best d-man today.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:45 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
in the nhl right away, i might even go as far and saying he would be our second best d-man today.
Well I wouldn't doubt he would be our 2nd best defenseman, but is it really best long term?

Old
02-06-2013, 01:48 AM
The Kingslayer

What you mean IF?

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Well I wouldn't doubt he would be our 2nd best defenseman, but is it really best long term?
i'm not sure what letting him play in the whl would do for his growth if anything, he should play in the nhl next year, we just shouldn't force him into 18-22 minutes a game and hope for him to carry the play, we would need to bring in some defense that can show him the ropes hopefully the acquisition of a skilled veteran in the off season.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Mouse21*

vCash: 500
If we did get him, as others are saying, we need to bring in some REAL veteran D-men that can help him grow. Eric Brewer type.
Should probably be in the NHL right away, playing in Juniors wouldnt help him.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Imo i think he should be started in the AHL, and see how hes doing 20-30 games in. unless hes just dominating defensively. i'd like to see what sacco would do with two RH top pairing D men.

On a side note i hope siemens can develop quick and be at least a #3 LH dman

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:09 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskog The Viking View Post
Imo i think he should be started in the AHL, and see how hes doing 20-30 games in. unless hes just dominating defensively. i'd like to see what sacco would do with two RH top pairing D men.

EDIT: I'd looooooove to see 3 dman that size with there skating and skills damnn.. that would be easily one of the toughest D to play against at least Top 3,Top 3 dman in the league if not #1 if we snag him and we can get a goal scoring winger with our 2nd maybe even throw downie/mcginn in and try to make it a 1st around 15-20 and RoR comes back we'd be at minimum a top 5-8 team

I kinda miss Q as our coach he always knew how to get his youngsters playing great and if we had that D varly would excel much more so it wouldn't be magical chairs for our goalies

Last edited by Landeskog The Viking: 02-06-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old
02-06-2013, 02:28 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

If we do land Seth Jones........Sacco will ruin him.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
and thats why i miss Q a little

But before we get ahead of ourselves we sit as the 7th worst team if jones is gone who should they draft?

EDIT: once again so over tired make that were tied for the 3rd worst.. Who do we draft?

Last edited by Landeskog The Viking: 02-06-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old
02-06-2013, 06:40 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskog The Viking View Post

He won't be old enough to play in the AHL next season. Not until 2014. I believe anyway.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Bring him to the NHL right away.

I think he's a better Dman then the guys you mentioned(Larsson, Hedman, Myers).

Another year of Juniors wouldn't help, The league would be to easy for him.

Jones is a special talent, I think he'll work out like Doughty. Come into the NHL and have an immediate and strong impact. Especially with this current Avs Dcore.

But I think the more realistic expectations at least for the time being is we'll probably finish in the 7-10 range so Jones wont be an option. I'd rather take a forward like Shinkaruk if were in that range then a Dman. It'd be nice to get another 1st round pick in this draft from a team making a playoff push. I'd like to grab a forward and a Dman from the first round of this draft if we could.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:57 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Bring in a new coach, he'd likely make the team out of camp, play him with EJ if possible (think Jones plays the right side in the WHL but he played left in the WJC). He can't play AHL and he's definitely AHL ready.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Avs71

I haven't seen him play aside from WJC, but when is the last time a defenceman was absolutely dominant at 18/19? I guess he could follow a Doughty development, but I'd prefer something similar to Pietrangelo, who arrived extremely composed. Imagine the young defencemen who would be coming to the team in 2014. Siemens, Jones, Barrie/Elliott. EJ would also be entering his prime.

That said, I just don't see the Avs landing Jones.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Bubba Thudd
Random Stranger

vCash: 5891
I'm not sure the Avs would take Jones if they had the #1 overall pick.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:35 AM
cgf
Un-fire Roy

I would invite him to camp, but plan on giving him a year before calling him up for reals.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:46 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
If the Avs get Jones, I'd hope they would give him a chance at camp. Give him his few games in the NHL if he really impresses at camp, but if he looks like he is struggling then send him back down to the WHL. I'd like them to be very careful with a potential franchise defender.

Also, make sure that they give him plenty of ice time, especially on the PP to allow that part of his game to develop.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:01 AM
henchman24
If and if...

If we did land Jones, bring him to camp to see how he does. If he does well give him a few games to see how he is adjusting, and if he does well again there keep him up.

The good an bad part about drafting Jones is that he is a righty. The good is that he wouldn't be expected to carry the defense (EJ and him would be split up), that would still be EJ's job. It would also make sure there is at least one solid presence on the ice for 40-44 min a game (eventually). The bad part is that we would still need to find a partner for EJ, and then one for Jones (Hejda could probably do well with Jones for a while).

That said, I don't think we land a top 3 pick. We will probably be in that 6-11 range again. Now with the new lottery rules we could still land the top pick, but it would be unlikely. Being in that range pretty much means we lose the chance for Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, and Barkov. If we are looking at defensemen we could have a chance at Ristolainen still, which IMO would be a nice consolation prize.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 101
I don't think we will suck enough to get the pick, however we are first class in tanking when we have made up on our minds on plummeting down the standings. None the less, given the situation and we took Jones, I would not be opposed to a year of development outside the NHL for him. Let Siemens get another year in the AHL under his belt, as well. By that time, we'd have a couple of donkeys expiring and could move an O'Brien with 1 year left. Ease Jones(and Siemens) in at that time.

I suppose it all depends on what we consider our window to be. I don't think that window has even fully opened yet, nevermind closing anytime soon, so I'm alright with another slow approach for the next year or two. Only pressing decision in that time frame will be Stastny.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
If we land Jones, outside of winning the lotto as the last non-playoff team, the Sacco will not be employed by the Avs.

Even if the Avs just miss the playoffs, I think Sacco is gone. Playoffs or bust for Sacco. Avs do not even have to fire him after this year, they can just walk away.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Nihiliste

If we drafted Jones I would absolutely want him to develop for a year or two outside the NHL. I hate rushing defensemen, it rarely serves them well except in extremely rare cases like Doughty. Since we're horrible at developing dmen and apparently averse to surrounding them with quality veteran talent I feel like we'd ruin him anyways.

I doubt we'll finish last though - with how bad our team is though I could see 3-7. I like Barkov and Lindholm a lot.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:43 AM
PAZ

Honestly so far in this season, the only teams I would say ahead of us in the tanking department is the BJs and the Caps. The flames aren't a good team, but they've outplayed some opponents in their losses, while we looked like an AHL team.

The only wins we looked decent in is the Kings (who were struggling) and the BJs. The Flames game they had a huge breakdown, but again we didn't look good. Oilers game they should've had 5 goals in the first but couldn't finish.

With RoR unsigned, all the injuries, compounded by every defenseman minus EJ looking like an AHLer out there, I wouldn't be at all surprised with a top 3 pick.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Nihiliste

Florida and Buffalo have been god awful too.

I'd really rather Calgary didn't outtank us - I don't want them to get a good player, I'd rather they went on their usual run.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Cullen Bohannon

There's no way we land Jones.

That would be too easy.

We will probably end up with Pulock or Ristolainen as D-men. Monahan or Lindholm if they pick a forward.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:51 AM
RockLobster
A magician named Gob

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
If we land Jones, outside of winning the lotto as the last non-playoff team, the Sacco will not be employed by the Avs.

Even if the Avs just miss the playoffs, I think Sacco is gone. Playoffs or bust for Sacco. Avs do not even have to fire him after this year, they can just walk away.
I think that Sherman signed him to a 2 year contract extension after last season ended...so if they wanted to be done with him after this year, they would have to fire him.

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote