HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Change in Smoking Zone at SBP.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:38 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonthaveaCOWEN View Post
Again, no clue if you're being facetious or not but the government doesn't have any right or say in that at all.
Actually, do you know what's funny? The Canadian Government DOES in fact have the power to ban tobacco sales nationwide (they'd simply add Tobacco to the banned-substances list... though any gov that did this wouldn't get re-elected for the next 30 years ), but it does NOT have the power to prevent Tobacco companies from ADVERTIZING for said Tobacco.

Weird, eh?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Regardless, the government shouldn't have a say in whether smoking should be allowed, but it should be able to prohibit smoking in certain areas.

Sorry mods if that is too political. :/

Marvelous Manked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Lets ban short skirts too because once a guy drove into a flock of penguins while he was staring at some chicks ass cheeks.
Ok, I'll admit. This made me absolutely crack up for about a minute straight.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:51 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonthaveaCOWEN View Post
Again, no clue if you're being facetious or not but the government doesn't have any right or say in that at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Regardless, the government shouldn't have a say in whether smoking should be allowed, but it should be able to prohibit smoking in certain areas.

Sorry mods if that is too political. :/
i dont feel it's too political in the context of this thread. I believe the solution to smoking is education and vice taxes.

I am admittedly an occasional smoker. That said, non-smokers shouldnt have to be subjected to our bad habit. Obviously, as people have mentioned, the smoking areas at scotiabank place were causing problems. I wasnt aware of this problem until now, but apparently it existed. The best solution would be to accomodate smokers in a way that didnt effect non-smokers (ie fix whatever was causing smoke to flow into the arena), but as a temporary fix, removing most of the smoking areas seems like an acceptable solution to me.

02-06-2013, 06:26 AM
harrisb

put a draw fan outside the doors and a push fan (heater) inside the doors. This would effectively keep the airflow headed from inside out. I could be wrong but this could be a longer term solution if it works. As a smoker I don't mind the change but it could be a longer term solution and not have a deck which becomes an ornament.

harrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:29 AM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisb View Post
put a draw fan outside the doors and a push fan (heater) inside the doors. This would effectively keep the airflow headed from inside out. I could be wrong but this could be a longer term solution if it works. As a smoker I don't mind the change but it could be a longer term solution and not have a deck which becomes an ornament.
Exhausting that much air can be extremely expensive. Pumping heat out in the winter and worse, cold out in the summer.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Smash88

vCash: 0
I don't have a problem with it as long as they are prepared for it (which it seems they aren't).. Seems like they are scanning tickets in and out, which is illogical.. It will take forever to get out/in

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:07 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
HasManCrushOnSmith

vCash: 3924
Smoker here, especially when I have a few beers, like I do at the games. To be honest I'm fine with this. I tried and succeeded once at getting to the smoking section, but it was just so crammed and pointless, it ruined the whole purpose of the social smoke. I felt more like a heroin addict just jamming the needle into his veins to stop the withdrawal symptoms; it was just to get the nicotine into the body, and nothing more.

Now I just get myself into the game and don't even bother with smoking in the intermissions. I just grab a beer or coffee. I can light up when I'm sitting in the parking lot for half an hour afterwards. Windows down, cuz I hate cigarette smoke (irony). Which is another reason why if the smoke is getting back into the building, I support the change.

DrunkUncleDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:30 AM
corksens

It was -20 and snowing last night.

Anyone that ran out in between periods to hack a dart either has a serious addition (and should get help) or is braindead.

There is no conceivable benefit to smoking (even a little), but the government doesn't have to get involved. Just simply ban smoking anywhere near public spaces.

Want to smoke? Take a walk out to lot 9. At least by the time you come back to your seat you might not smell so bad.

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
HasManCrushOnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post

Anyone that ran out in between periods to hack a dart either has a serious addition (and should get help) or is braindead.

There is no conceivable benefit to smoking (even a little), but the government doesn't have to get involved. Just simply ban smoking anywhere near public spaces.

Want to smoke? Take a walk out to lot 9. At least by the time you come back to your seat you might not smell so bad.
Sorry, I can't agree with your rather elitist statement (relax, we get that you are anti-smoking.) Trust me, mingling while having a smoke is THE easiest way to initiate hooking up with the opposite sex at the bars

Old
02-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Smash88

Quote:

We live in Ottawa, Canada.. -20 really isn't that bad, especially when it's snowing.. I've lived here 30 years, last night was not bad at all...

Old
02-06-2013, 09:16 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
HasManCrushOnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
We live in Ottawa, Canada.. -20 really isn't that bad, especially when it's snowing.. I've lived here 30 years, last night was not bad at all...
I was going to jump on this too, but I decided to stick to critiquing only one part of his post.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

vCash: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post
Sorry, I can't agree with your rather elitist statement (relax, we get that you are anti-smoking.) Trust me, mingling while having a smoke is THE easiest way to initiate hooking up with the opposite sex at the bars
Somebody has to take the nasty smoking girls home.

I prefer the ones who are inside with mouths that don't taste like death.

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenacusMaximus View Post
Somebody has to take the nasty smoking girls home.

I prefer the ones who are inside with mouths that don't taste like death.
Sweet.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:56 AM
corksens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post
You can mingle anywhere.

I'm not some elitist. I'm a coors light drinking neanderthal when Sens games are on.

Smoking is beyond stupid - and it costs all of us a mint.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:00 AM
corksens

I don't mean to change this to an anti-smoking thread.

My point is simple - just make smoking so unbelievable uncomfortable that people naturally stop.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Smash88

Quote:
I don't mean to change this to an anti-smoking thread.

My point is simple - just make smoking so unbelievable uncomfortable that people naturally stop.
So then your fine when they do the same for your Coors light then?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:07 AM
SensNo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Glad they moved the smoking from the 2nd level. It was brutal up there.

Today the main concourse was abit smokey but not nearly as bad as the bus exhaust from 59 buses blowing directly into the tunnel to the far parking lot. Ban the buses!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, don't ban the buses! It's the only way to get there that works at all for me! I'd be fine with them being farther away from the tunnel however.

SensNo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:10 AM
sens613

I split season tickets in 113 with a friend , does this change the smoking area in the 100 section . Smoking may be dumb , gross and unhealthy , but it sure does go great with beer and junk food

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:11 AM
corksens

Quote:
So then your fine when they do the same for your Coors light then?
If you are trying to make the false argument equating alcohol and smoking, don't...it's not the same.

You can consume moderate amounts of alcohol with absolutely zero negative impact on your health. That same small consumption also has zero impact on the health and comfort of others.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
If you are trying to make the false argument equating alcohol and smoking, don't...it's not the same.

You can consume moderate amounts of alcohol with absolutely zero negative impact on your health. That same small consumption also has zero impact on the health and comfort of others.
Smoking, Guns and Drug debates seem to bring up some of the most hilarious/silly comparisons ever....i mean everyone is entitled to their own opinions i can surely respect that but when someone honestly tries to argue that the safety issues for a gun are the same for a car for example all you can do is lol

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:27 AM
FlapjackSilver

Quote:

Really?

Because they're both addictive substances.

Depending on various factors (body weight, experience, intelligence, age, etc.) you could very well become a disturbance in public. So please don't tell me drinking has zero impact on the comfort of others.

FlapjackSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Smash88

Quote:

LOL.. They are more similar than you think...

and what is a small amount? I can drink 4 or 5 beers and be fine, my wife has one and she is tipsy. Zero impact is completely false and ignorant...

Old
02-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

The cigarettes can't control who smokes them. Just ban people.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:38 AM
corksens

Quote:
LOL.. They are more similar than you think...

and what is a small amount? I can drink 4 or 5 beers and be fine, my wife has one and she is tipsy. Zero impact is completely false and ignorant...
We have legal limits to determine what a "small amount" is - in the context of driving.

If I have a beer while watching the game there is no impact on others. My health isn't negatively impacted and I don't reek of putrid smoke to the other patrons around me.

It's a negligible act. No different than me having a double double.