HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 2: It's not how big you are...

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 09:48 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
have you ever been on a team? there is no such thing as a losing culture. players who are content with losing dont stay in the league. as much money as these guys get they are all competitive, you dont get losing cancer from losing a few hockey games,
If you don't think finishing dead last (or close to it) for several years doesn't have some effect on the morale and the culture of a team, I'm not sure what to say.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:50 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
if one of eberle, hall, nuge and yak didnt look right now to have tremendous upside i would be all for trading any one of them, but that isnt the case. do you sell players with that much upside for lesser players?

Old
02-06-2013, 09:51 AM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Such as? How can you come out ahead in skill if you trade one of the young guys away? Who out there is more skilled and available?
Again, I'm not the GM, so I have no idea who is available.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Seachd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Again, I'm not the GM, so I have no idea who is available.
That's fine, but obviously none of us know. I'm asking for specifics. What kind of deals would you make?

There only seem like two kinds...

Trading one of them for an upgrade in skill in the same position, which seems like it would be next to impossible for a variety of reasons, or...

Trading one of them for parts to upgrade other positions, which, at the very least, seems like an extreme waste of assets.

I'm not sure which one you had in mind.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:55 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
Such as? How can you come out ahead in skill if you trade one of the young guys away? Who out there is more skilled and available?
You put one of the kids up and you'll find out. Putting a Hall or Eberle on the market is going to make some untouchable all of a sudden touchable.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:56 AM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Well then what were you talking about with Columbus, Florida and the Islanders?

What players do they have that you were comparing to the Oilers?
My comparison to those teams is that they all have had high picks and lots of players with potential, but could never put it together to get to that next level.

We have a lot of youth that have potential, but what makes us different than those teams that were in the same situation? We don't have any generational talent IMO (i.e. Crosby, Malkin, etc.)

Anyways, I've given my thoughts and opinions and I'll leave it be. I'm not interested in getting into a pissing match.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Psychoil

do we go hard after perry? or getzlaf?

Clowe? I really wanna grab 2 guys, one big center who can be 2/3. and a big top 6 winger, who can hit hard.

david clarkson would be great too. Hell give me a D as well,

Old
02-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You put one of the kids up and you'll find out. Putting a Hall or Eberle on the market is going to make some untouchable all of a sudden touchable.
Find me one trade in the salary cap era that saw a star go for a star. Quantity for quality is the name of the game.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Seachd

Quote:
My comparison to those teams is that they all have had high picks and lots of players with potential, but could never put it together to get to that next level.

We have a lot of youth that have potential, but what makes us different than those teams that were in the same situation? We don't have any generational talent IMO (i.e. Crosby, Malkin, etc.)

Anyways, I've given my thoughts and opinions and I'll leave it be. I'm not interested in getting into a pissing match.
I've asked your opinions, but haven't gotten them yet. That part always seems to get avoided.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I can't see the comparison between the Oilers' young group and the Islanders'. Usually there's a clear difference when picking 1st overall or picking 7th. I understand the situation you're trying to avoid, but I don't think the situations can be compared right now.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Seachd

Quote:
And you think that player would really be more beneficial to the Oilers than Hall or Eberle? Even if it's close, obviously the Oilers would rather keep their own young players.

If you're just saying "try it and see what happens", it's because we don't know what the actual market is or would be. Tambellini and GMs around the league would have a much better idea, whether any players have been offered or not.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:05 AM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
do we go hard after perry? or getzlaf?

Clowe? I really wanna grab 2 guys, one big center who can be 2/3. and a big top 6 winger, who can hit hard.

david clarkson would be great too. Hell give me a D as well,
Clowe would be amazing, and exactly what we need. But I doubt San Jose is willing to move him.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Columbus had one first overall, a fourth overall and a bunch outside the top 5. Islanders were also picking in the middle of the top 10 quite a bit. Florida had one top 5 pick in the last decade. None of these teams are good comps for a team with three #1 picks.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:10 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Find me one trade in the salary cap era that saw a star go for a star. Quantity for quality is the name of the game.
In material whether it's happened in the past or not.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:13 AM
AVE MAN

Ryan OReilly for Sam Gagner

OReilly is exactly what the Oilers need in a second line centre. He can win a draw, play in both zones and put up points.

LETS GET 'ER DONE!

Old
02-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
In material whether it's happened in the past or not.
So you can't think of any examples, then?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:15 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
And you think that player would really be more beneficial to the Oilers than Hall or Eberle? Even if it's close, obviously the Oilers would rather keep their own young players.

If you're just saying "try it and see what happens", it's because we don't know what the actual market is or would be. Tambellini and GMs around the league would have a much better idea, whether any players have been offered or not.
Is it not possible you get an Evander Kane and he brings more overall to this club?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:16 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I didn't even think about it.

No team has ever won the cup with 3 straight overall picks, does that mean we won't be able to do it either?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

I need to clarify myself as well. I'm not saying we should go out and trade Eberle for Evander Kane, but I'm not going to be shocked when this team realizes they need to make a shakeup in order to take that next step. That next step could very well be 2 or 3 years from now.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Clearly.

Quote:
No team has ever won the cup with 3 straight overall picks, does that mean we won't be able to do it either?
Let me introduce you to my friend "sample size."

Old
02-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Heatley for Hossa.

02-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Heatley for Hossa.
Great: we just need to wait until some star on another team kills his friend and teammate in a automobile crash.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
None of our players are on the same level as Malkin or Crosby. And like it or not, both Chicago and Pittsburgh will always be better at drawing free agents to fill their gaps and needs.
Nobody wanted to go to Pittsburgh until they got Crosby and Chicago didn't land any big free agents until they were already a playoff team. The core of that team was built on trades and mostly drafting.

Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Bolland, Byfuglien, Brouwer, Burish and Hjalmarsson were all draft picks.

Sharp, Havlat, Ladd, Versteeg, and Pahlsson (deadline) were all added through trade. None of those additions cost them a Toews/Kane/Seabrook/Keith. Ruutu was the closest thing to an actual asset they had to move for those players. The rest of those players were had for a song. The closest we've ever come to making a trade like that is when we got Gilbert for Salo. I don't know if Tambellini is capable of making that type of move.

Only Khabibulin, Huet, and Campbell were signed as free agents. They didn't get Hossa until after they'd made the SCF. Us landing Khabibulin and Schultz would have to be considered a similar UFA haul.

02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Great: we just need to wait until some star on another team kills his friend and teammate in a automobile crash.
Stewart, Shattenkirk for Johnson.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Is it not possible you get an Evander Kane and he brings more overall to this club?
Good example. It's very possible - anything is.

I wouldn't count on it being very likely, personally, and I don't think it's a risk the team could really afford to take.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:

Umm, Quebec/Colorado comes to mind.

Closed Thread