HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching Staff Appreciation thread!

Old
02-06-2013, 09:09 AM
sens2k9

vCash: 500
Coaching Staff Appreciation thread!

I just wanted to post this because I've noticed this year so far they've picked up right where they left off.

Maclean and his assistants (and even Luke Richardson from what I understand) have done a great job evaluating the team and putting players in positions to succeed.

They shelter the kids when warranted, but give them enough confidence to go out and do their thing.

A lot of it has to do with the way Maclean talks about "NHL players" and how it takes them about 300 games to really figure out their place - thats about 4 years.

Credit to the Murrays who also recognize that most players don't really "break out" or show their mettle until their 3rd year in the league.

Patience really is a virtue and I'm just glad that our guys have it in spades

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens2k9 View Post
I just wanted to post this because I've noticed this year so far they've picked up right where they left off.

Maclean and his assistants (and even Luke Richardson from what I understand) have done a great job evaluating the team and putting players in positions to succeed.

They shelter the kids when warranted, but give them enough confidence to go out and do their thing.

A lot of it has to do with the way Maclean talks about "NHL players" and how it takes them about 300 games to really figure out their place - thats about 4 years.

Credit to the Murrays who also recognize that most players don't really "break out" or show their mettle until their 3rd year in the league.

Patience really is a virtue and I'm just glad that our guys have it in spades
Long overdue, these guys deserve some appreciation.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Dat system

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I'm going to be sad the day when some other NHL team poaches Mark Reeds away from us to become a head coach somewhere. He'll get a shot in the next 5 years.

That guy has a huge future, IMO. A GREAT coach, and a very underrated part of our system.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

May they all be paid fairly.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Clearly MacLean being born in France has everything to do with this.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:01 AM
SenzZen

Great coaching and goaltending. This team could be in much worse shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Clearly MacLean being born in France has everything to do with this.
And lets not forget the mustache!

Or is that what you meant?

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:57 AM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I'm going to be sad the day when some other NHL team poaches Mark Reeds away from us to become a head coach somewhere. He'll get a shot in the next 5 years.

That guy has a huge future, IMO. A GREAT coach, and a very underrated part of our system.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Reeds' role in coaching? Special teams stuff, set plays, positioning?

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:07 PM
BigZKingK

All the power is in facial hair that`s why Karlsson and MacLean are so good

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Reeds' role in coaching? Special teams stuff, set plays, positioning?
Moustache wax procurement?

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ♥

I appreciate Paulrus <3

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:02 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Really like our coach. He was a heck of a player and has turned out to be a heck of a coach. Probably our best coach since Jacques Martin.

02-06-2013, 03:35 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I remember really liking Clouston too.

THIS TIME IT'S DIFFERENT!

(please)

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:04 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Really like our coach. He was a heck of a player and has turned out to be a heck of a coach. Probably our best coach since Jacques Martin.
Bryan Murray was better than Martin, did more with less.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:13 PM
playasRus

Hear, hear!

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Lets hope he can get past the two year mark and then I won't be scared of a Clouston .

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:08 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Bryan Murray was better than Martin, did more with less.
Wow I actual agree with you ... maybe we're not so different? Nah ....

While I like J Martin for the structure that he brought to the team & turned them into a winning regular season team he was often out coached in the playoffs. While Quinn released his goon squad on our skilled Europeans & Martin did nothing to protect them.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Fusbolito

Just wanted to ask other folks, does anyone else think Paul MacLean handles questions from reporters better than just about any other coach or executive in the league? He may not be as entertaining as Tortorella, or as fiery as Burke, but he handles intelligent questions intelligently, he handles stupid questions without retorting and always has a smile on his face when dealing with the press.

He just seems to know that the media are after a story, and, unless there's one there, he's absolutely unwilling to manufacture anything just to please reporters.

Hearing ten questions per scrum about whether or not Karlsson's absence is going to affect the team negatively would drive me bonkers, but it seems not to affect Paulrus in the least.

On the other hand, we also seem to have one of the most blatantly facepalm-worthy owners in the league, when it comes to public commenting. I'm eternally grateful to Melnyk for the funding and support he's given everyone, but there are some times I just wish he'd shut his yap.

Fusbolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusbolito View Post
Just wanted to ask other folks, does anyone else think Paul MacLean handles questions from reporters better than just about any other coach or executive in the league? He may not be as entertaining as Tortorella, or as fiery as Burke, but he handles intelligent questions intelligently, he handles stupid questions without retorting and always has a smile on his face when dealing with the press.

He just seems to know that the media are after a story, and, unless there's one there, he's absolutely unwilling to manufacture anything just to please reporters.

Hearing ten questions per scrum about whether or not Karlsson's absence is going to affect the team negatively would drive me bonkers, but it seems not to affect Paulrus in the least.

On the other hand, we also seem to have one of the most blatantly facepalm-worthy owners in the league, when it comes to public commenting. I'm eternally grateful to Melnyk for the funding and support he's given everyone, but there are some times I just wish he'd shut his yap.
He's great with the media from what I've seen. I've yet to see him lose his cool. He just keeps it professional at all times, and jokes around a bit too.

Laszlo Panaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
These injuries have to be hard on the way the Paulrus coaches haha. We can't play that puck possession style right now and you can tell the coaching staff is really having to adjust their styles. I think once the Paulrus and his staff have had enough practises introducing a new style we'll generate better offensive chances.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:36 AM
HavlatMach9

Hasn't yet had to face adversity yet as a coach since we're rebuilding. Expectations were low, and so far he's surpassed them.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Other Coaches and GM's commending the work MacLean has done in Ottawa

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
These injuries have to be hard on the way the Paulrus coaches haha. We can't play that puck possession style right now and you can tell the coaching staff is really having to adjust their styles. I think once the Paulrus and his staff have had enough practises introducing a new style we'll generate better offensive chances.
That's what makes him so great as a coach though. Just like the man he learnt from (Babcock), Trustache has an amazing ability to adjust to what is given to him. He makes amazing adjustments mid-game even.

And the way he handles the players, the media, etc. makes me think we've got our next "Lindy Ruff" style coach. A coach that's so well-respected that he outlasts the players when they don't succeed.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Should be a Murray appreciation thread as well. He hired the coach & coaching staff & they have been terrific. He traded for Anderson & Turris & both have been terrific. He traded down to draft Karlsson & he has won the Norris at 22 yrs old. And he has stocked the cupboards full of very decent prospects which are showing us now how good they are & our farm team Bingo has also been great this yr. The only thing stopping both teams is injuries.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:30 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Should be a Murray appreciation thread as well. He hired the coach & coaching staff & they have been terrific. He traded for Anderson & Turris & both have been terrific. He traded down to draft Karlsson & he has won the Norris at 22 yrs old. And he has stocked the cupboards full of very decent prospects which are showing us now how good they are & our farm team Bingo has also been great this yr. The only thing stopping both teams is injuries.
If we have a Murray appreciation thread for hiring the coach, we need a Roy Mlakar appreciation thread for hiring Murray.

If we have a Mlakar appreciation thread, we need to have a Eugene Melnyk thread for his hiring of Mlakar.

If we have a Euge appreciation thread, we need to have a Rod Bryden appreciation thread for mismanaging the franchise to the point where it went bankrupt, and made Melnyk's purchase possible.

So... Rod Bryden appreciation thread, anyone?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote