Moss
Owens

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:24 AM
keonsbitterness
Don't vote for Ford!

vCash: 500
John Jefferson in his prime (before Stan Blinka's cheap shot) over any of them.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
After yesterday I realized Randy does not care...at all. Which is fine except there are still folks who say he is better then Jerry. At this point I would not take TO over him.

Thoughts
Voted Rice but Moss was as dominant as they come. I'll say though if I was starting a team and had my choice of any wr past or present it would be Calvin Johnson.

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:54 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Rice
Moss
Owens

This isn't even fair.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:25 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Rice
Moss

Owens

Owens was a huge headache and distraction.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
I think you overstate how bad things were. Raiders had a winning record during his run with them, only 2 seasons in 15 years with less than 7 wins (compared to 5 seasons with 10+ wins). Raiders were relevant back then.
Things started fraying after Flores left.

Tim Brown had Jeff George (an excellent QB... he just only cared about his stats).[/QUOTE]

There's more to football?

He didn't get much time with Gannon and Moss and TO went through fallow periods Thanks to headcasery.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Jerry Rice and there is absolutely no doubt about it

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Things started fraying after Flores left.
????

Bugel was the only coach during Brown's tenure to have a losing record overall. Shell was decent and Gruden was quite good. Other than Callahan's last season and the Bugal debacle, Raiders never finished worse than a game below .500 .

Raiders were a decent team during that time (Bugel season exempt). It was after Gruden that things fell apart.

Quote:
He didn't get much time with Gannon.
Brown had more seasons with Gannon (5) than any other QB in his career.

Quote:
Moss and TO went through fallow periods Thanks to headcasery.
Yet still vastly outperformed Brown. Brown strung together a long career of being good, but was never great. Never an All-Pro, only two seasons with double-digit TDs, and only once ranked among the lead leaders in any relevent measure (lead the league in catches once).

I just don't see the case for putting him ahead of Moss and Owens, who are multiple All-Pros each, own a gaggle of records and consistently performed as the best at their position for the majority of their careers.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Rice
Hutson

everyone else.

Hutson is the only guy even in Rice's league...though he was probably more valuable since he played both sides of the ball at an exceptionally high level.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Rice
Moss

Owens

Owens was a huge headache and distraction.
And Moss wasn't?

Moss or Owens in their prime were very similar. Owens did it with power and speed and Moss did it with incredible speed and smarts.

Both were headaches.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Big Phil

Drama queens are how I would describe Moss and Owens. Remember when Moss said he doesn't "try" on every play? For some reason that always bothered me. Owens has a rap sheet that reads like the obituaries. Rice just caught passes and won. I can't remember him complaining much or having this "woe is me" attitude. The truly all-time greats don't even bother telling the world they are the best because history has already decided that for them.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
????

Bugel was the only coach during Brown's tenure to have a losing record overall. Shell was decent and Gruden was quite good. Other than Callahan's last season and the Bugal debacle, Raiders never finished worse than a game below .500 .

Raiders were a decent team during that time (Bugel season exempt). It was after Gruden that things fell apart.
Fell apart yes, but after Flores Al got more and more involved, which meant Weirdness like benching Marcus Allen, Shanhan's tenure, Lachey for Schroeder. The thunder before the lightning.

Quote:
Brown had more seasons with Gannon (5) than any other QB in his career.
Which was a third of his career. The rest was with journeymen.

Quote:
Yet still vastly outperformed Brown. Brown strung together a long career of being good, but was never great. Never an All-Pro, only two seasons with double-digit TDs, and only once ranked among the lead leaders in any relevent measure (lead the league in catches once).

I just don't see the case for putting him ahead of Moss and Owens, who are multiple All-Pros each, own a gaggle of records and consistently performed as the best at their position for the majority of their careers.
He had 9 TDs four times and racked up 90 catch seasons, when 100 was soemthing unusual. Anyway, Moss and Owens are something of a white elephant to me. I think you get better bang for your buck on Brown.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:01 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
And Moss wasn't?

Both were headaches.
Actually not. Remember Owens in Philadelphia?

Moss was a primadonna but nothing like Owens.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:47 PM
JCD

Quote:
Fell apart yes, but after Flores Al got more and more involved, which meant Weirdness like benching Marcus Allen, Shanhan's tenure, Lachey for Schroeder. The thunder before the lightning.
Agreed and noted, but the point stands. Raiders were still a competent organization during Brown's tenure (even making the Super Bowl). They didn't fall apart until after he left.

Quote:
Which was a third of his career. The rest was with journeymen.
Point? You do realize that both Moss and Owens played with Journeyman for much of their careers as well. Heck, Moss played with Jeff George same as Brown. Difference is that Moss and Owens still played at All-Pro levels even with journeyman QBs.

Quote:
He had 9 TDs four times and racked up 90 catch seasons, when 100 was soemthing unusual.
Which puts him in the Hall of Very Good. At his best, he would creep up into the he top-10 (usually the bottom half, 104 catch season aside.)

Quote:
Anyway, Moss and Owens are something of a white elephant to me. I think you get better bang for your buck on Brown.
White elephant status aside, the accomplishments of both Owens and Moss dwarf Tim Brown. Tim Brown is not even in the same conversation. Let me repeat, the guy has ZERO All-Pro finishes. At no point in his career was he ever in consideration as the best player at his position. It is like trying to say Dave Andreychuk was a better goal scorer than Brett Hull or Pavel Bure. Yea, Dave had a great career... but he simply never played at the same level as the other two.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Actually not. Remember Owens in Philadelphia?

Moss was a primadonna but nothing like Owens.
Remember Moss in Oakland? remember Moss in Tennessee?

Moss was no better, or worse than Owens.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:41 AM
keonsbitterness
Don't vote for Ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Drama queens are how I would describe Moss and Owens. Remember when Moss said he doesn't "try" on every play? For some reason that always bothered me. Owens has a rap sheet that reads like the obituaries. Rice just caught passes and won. I can't remember him complaining much or having this "woe is me" attitude. The truly all-time greats don't even bother telling the world they are the best because history has already decided that for them.
Didn't Rice whine to the press a few times because he felt not enough balls were coming his way in a game or a stretch of games? Maybe my memory is hazy, but I seem to recall that he jumped off the "we" train and made it about himself (though certainly not to the degree of Owens or Moss).

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonsbitterness View Post
Didn't Rice whine to the press a few times because he felt not enough balls were coming his way in a game or a stretch of games? Maybe my memory is hazy, but I seem to recall that he jumped off the "we" train and made it about himself (though certainly not to the degree of Owens or Moss).
Can't remember that. Not saying Rice never had a moment like that but he was certainly the receiver you wanted on your team when the chips were down.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Trap Jesus

I know it's sacrilegious but I'd go with Moss. I've never been a big stats guy. I could get into arguments about the quality of QBs and other players that Moss played with compared to Rice, but the bottom line is that Moss was such a unique talent that he made defenses completely change their gameplan and drew attention away from other players on the offense, more so than any other receiver. It's not a coincidence that he was on the two best offensive teams of all time. I know body of work is big part of it, but Moss is fantastic in that regard as well.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote