HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 500
Sabres hold unscheduled practice today.

Apparently Harrington's upset because it was supposed to start at 11:30 and there are only a couple players out there now.

Mike Harrington @BNHarrington
Direct from the CBA: "the Club’s schedule/calendar should not be altered absent compelling circumstances." Bad record doesn't qualify to me

So now they're not allowed to practice when it's not convenient for you?? I mean, sorry they didn't start practice on time.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:55 AM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Do we attempt to sign Arnott? Get some stability down the middle?
Didn't he sign with the Rags...?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
Didn't he sign with the Rags...?
He failed his physical upon signing.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:42 AM
pomms
Rookie User

Ryan O'Reilly

With the Avs and O'reilly having contract disputes and him being a RFA.. do you think the sabres should make a move on him as a possible #2 C in this organization.. Do you guys think its a good fit, and if so what do you think the sabres have to give up to aquire his rights if the avs continue to have problems with getting him signed.

Talent Analysis
O'Reilly is a thinking-man's player who has excellent anticipation and knowledge of the game, which enables him to be in the right place at the right time. O'Reilly's proven to be an excellent penalty killer and excels at the defensive aspects of the game. He's an excellent playmaker who has also shown an increasing aptitude for putting the puck in the net.

Criticisms of O'Reilly are a lack of scoring touch and perimeter play at times.
Future
Projects as a top-six forward with size. Now on the roster of the Colorado Avalanche.

From O'Reilly's HF Page.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
DJN21

I still cant see why this team didnt go out and get konopka in the offseason. We were throwing around this "get tougher and tougher to play against" BS all summer. There was a guy who wins a ton of draws, drops mits 20 times a year and can PK....would've filled so many needs...

and ontop of that the brass had to know that Cody was injured and gonna be out some time making an even more obvious 4th line center opening...

Old
02-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Makes sense, ergo, won't happen.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:52 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
there's about 4 pages of ROR discussion in the Moves thread (stickied)

Old
02-06-2013, 11:52 AM

is their a team in the NHL with a more mismatched bottom 6-9 fowards?

Old
02-06-2013, 11:53 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
there's about 4 pages of ROR discussion in the Moves thread (stickied)
Yea I thought the same thing

Old
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
pomms
Rookie User

sorry my bad first time posting on this site. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks for the help!

Old
02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomms View Post
sorry my bad first time posting on this site. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks for the help!
It's ok, welcome aboard

Just look around at the thread titles. If your topic you want to talk about doesn't fit AT ALL into an already made thread.... Then create a new topic. Easy.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

I need to see some urgency from the Sabres.

I think Sabres fans need to move on from the role player moves, this team needs a monster trade.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Sell Vanek Stock while high?

Vanek has never looked this good, the team is terrible, is this our chance to unload Vanek at a ridiculous price? Do you think Vanek has turned a corner and will now be a consistent point per game player, or better?

It sounds crazy, but remember Ryan Miller a few years ago, he was unreal. Called the best goalie in the NHL. At the time we could have gotten almost anything we wanted in a trade. Why trade the best goalie in the world? Well if you look at his career he really wasn't the best, he just had a great year. Thats where I am with Vanek. Is Vanek just having a great year or is he one of the most dangerous scorers in the NHL now?

Its either sell now or pay him a ridiculous contract again. IMO we sell while his stock is the highest it ever will be. Get the rebuilding blocks we need. This team isn't very close.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:20 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

....lays down a monster.

Is Regier into Oreo's?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Vanek has never looked this good, the team is terrible, is this our chance to unload Vanek at a ridiculous price? Do you think Vanek has turned a corner and will now be a consistent point per game player, or better?

It sounds crazy, but remember Ryan Miller a few years ago, he was unreal. Called the best goalie in the NHL. At the time we could have gotten almost anything we wanted in a trade. Why trade the best goalie in the world? Well if you look at his career he really wasn't the best, he just had a great year. Thats where I am with Vanek. Is Vanek just having a great year or is he one of the most dangerous scorers in the NHL now?

Its either sell now or pay him a ridiculous contract again. IMO we sell while his stock is the highest it ever will be. Get the rebuilding blocks we need. This team isn't very close.
I don't think that's the best move, but I'd be willing to have a discussion about it. What, hypothetically, would you expect to get for Vanek that would make sense for the team?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:

wouldn't be opposed to it, you would likely get 2 1st round picks and a roster player.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:34 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:

ROR + 1st + prospect. Slide Ennis back to wing on top line and ROR to center where Ennis is. You get younger, slash salaries and pick up a pick and a prospect for the future. Let's be honest, Vanek will cool off in a big way pretty soon. It's what he does. In the meantime, you get better defensively and worse offensively.

Edit: they won't give ROR the money, so they probably wouldn't want to shell it out to Vanek.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:43 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I don't think that's the best move, but I'd be willing to have a discussion about it. What, hypothetically, would you expect to get for Vanek that would make sense for the team?
I honestly dont know what we could get for Vanek. I wouldn't want the Nash deal, but IMO Vanek should get more than Nash because he doesn't have a no trade clause and his contract has only a year left so its not financially a burden.

Hypothetically, Vanek for Kyle Brodziak, Cal Clutterbuck, Mikael Granlund, and Mathew Dumba.

Probably have to take on more cap from the Wild.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
wouldn't be opposed to it, you would likely get 2 1st round picks and a roster player.
I'm not knocking your idea - but I just want to point out that the odds that either of the 1st rounders would turn out close to as good as Vanek are small. Draft picks tend to be overrated on HF, and Vanek tends to be underrated. For me, the roster player would have to be pretty solid, and the draft picks fairly high, to make that deal tempting.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:

There is only a hand full of players I would move Vanek for. I would want a premier top pairing defensemen coming back though. I would not move him for picks at this point.

Essentially I would want someone like Weber, Doughty, or Pietrangelo coming back and I highly doubt any of those guys are getting moved in the immediate future.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Vanek goes home, we get a future #1 line of Armia and Granlund. Sabres IMO are going halfway IMO, they kind of turned the page and are looking at the future, but they kind of arent.

Go all the way, start making moves with the future in mind. Draft high, get a ton of talent and we will win.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:59 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

If someone is giving a king's ransom, then sure. As long as we aren't moving him for the sake of moving him.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
I honestly dont know what we could get for Vanek. I wouldn't want the Nash deal, but IMO Vanek should get more than Nash because he doesn't have a no trade clause and his contract has only a year left so its not financially a burden.

Hypothetically, Vanek for Kyle Brodziak, Cal Clutterbuck, Mikael Granlund, and Mathew Dumba.

Probably have to take on more cap from the Wild.
I think Wild fans would laugh you off the trade board with that one. I don't see any way that they give up that package around Granlund (and Dumba) for Vanek. Vanek would be their fifth (!) player with a cap hit greater than $6.7m. I imagine they'll want to surround all that high-priced talent with cheap talent on ELC's; players like Granlund and Dumba, for example.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think Wild fans would laugh you off the trade board with that one. I don't see any way that they give up that package around Granlund (and Dumba) for Vanek. Vanek would be their fifth (!) player with a cap hit greater than $6.7m. I imagine they'll want to surround all that high-priced talent with cheap talent on ELC's; players like Granlund and Dumba, for example.
Its a starting point from the Sabres side. The main guy I want is Granlund.

Basically the Wild get a chance at a cup the next 2 years, Vanek then replaces heatley on the cap. Heatley is 3 years older, so the WIld get a little younger. Maybe the Wild could move Heatley to another team.

Parise and Vanek give that hometown excitement. I mean the Sabres would be trading their best player here. I think getting a couple top prospects is very fair. But again, I am willing to go without Dumba.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:23 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Sabres hold unscheduled practice today.

Apparently Harrington's upset because it was supposed to start at 11:30 and there are only a couple players out there now.

Mike Harrington @BNHarrington
Direct from the CBA: "the Club’s schedule/calendar should not be altered absent compelling circumstances." Bad record doesn't qualify to me

So now they're not allowed to practice when it's not convenient for you?? I mean, sorry they didn't start practice on time.
He comes off as such a smug and petty whiner.

Closed Thread