HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Regin vs. the Sabres

Old
02-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

vCash: 500
I really think that people are overrating his performance because he got two points. The first point really was a fluke and because Enroth was terrible, and the 2nd was a good play but again...Enroth was terrible.

Regin is an ok player, but he's too soft on the boards, his skating isn't even that great IMO and his decision making is definitely questionable.

I mean even last night he was falling all over the place and messed up some opportunities to score and was the main reason Buffalo was allowed to score when he faceplanted himself into the boards.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I always laugh when people post highlight videos as a reason why a player is good. It's fine to say "look at Patty Wiercioch's vision with this pass to Silfverberg" and then post a youtube video. But if we're going to judge a players success based off highlight videos, than Rob Schremp is a top 5 player in the league.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I really think that people are overrating his performance because he got two points. The first point really was a fluke and because Enroth was terrible, and the 2nd was a good play but again...Enroth was terrible.

Regin is an ok player, but he's too soft on the boards, his skating isn't even that great IMO and his decision making is definitely questionable.

I mean even last night he was falling all over the place and messed up some opportunities to score and was the main reason Buffalo was allowed to score when he faceplanted himself into the boards.
He struggled at the start.

If you didn't notice a completely different Peter Regin after that point, I have to question how much you watched the game, because he was actually one of our best forwards.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:00 PM
coladin

I enjoyed the goals he scored against Buffalo that year as well.. can anyone find it? One of the best wrist shots ever and McGuire was screaming about how great the shot was.

I think as the coach stated that he needs time to get back into form...will he get it? I think he well as he has played well in all factes of the game minus the points. He looked really relieved and hopefully relax a little and get back on track.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

I still dont see any top 6 material.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Zorf

Praise be Jesus! Regin had one good game out of 9 so far! He must be back!

Who cares if it was against one of the worst defensive teams in the conference, and against a joke of a goalie who hasn't won a game since November 2011!

But hey, let's make a new thread praising the guy when he finally does something good...even if it is only every 10th game.

I was a big Regin fan, like everyone else, during that playoff series against Pittsburgh, but he has completely failed to return to that level of play. Whether it was jsut a flash in the pan and he got lucky on those shots, or, whether his injuries have ruined his game, he's just not the player anyone thought he would be.

Also, In my opinion, he is not at all a good 3rd line C on any contending team.

On a healthy Sens roster, would anyone seriously advocate putting Regin ahead of Zach Smith on the depth chart?
Spezza
Turris
Smith
O'B
Zib
Regin/DaCosta

That's where he should fit in when the Sens have a healthy roster.

But hey, he got lucky on his assist with the Phillips goal. Lucky that Enroth is a sieve, that is. his play on the Neil goal was good, but should we really be praising one good offensive play in 9 games?

i hope he turns the corner and proves me completely wrong, but so far, this season, he's been a disappointment.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:04 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorf View Post
Praise be Jesus! Regin had one good game out of 9 so far! He must be back!

Who cares if it was against one of the worst defensive teams in the conference, and against a joke of a goalie who hasn't won a game since November 2011!

But hey, let's make a new thread praising the guy when he finally does something good...even if it is only every 10th game.

I was a big Regin fan, like everyone else, during that playoff series against Pittsburgh, but he has completely failed to return to that level of play. Whether it was jsut a flash in the pan and he got lucky on those shots, or, whether his injuries have ruined his game, he's just not the player anyone thought he would be.

Also, In my opinion, he is not at all a good 3rd line C on any contending team.

On a healthy Sens roster, would anyone seriously advocate putting Regin ahead of Zach Smith on the depth chart?
Spezza
Turris
Smith
O'B
Zib
Regin/DaCosta

That's where he should fit in when the Sens have a healthy roster.

But hey, he got lucky on his assist with the Phillips goal. Lucky that Enroth is a sieve, that is. his play on the Neil goal was good, but should we really be praising one good offensive play in 9 games?

i hope he turns the corner and proves me completely wrong, but so far, this season, he's been a disappointment.
Didn't he win a perfectly clean faceoff for the goal?

Oh, and if we want to talk about disappointment's, you can throw Zack Smith in with Regin thus far.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
He struggled at the start.

If you didn't notice a completely different Peter Regin after that point, I have to question how much you watched the game, because he was actually one of our best forwards.
Question it all you want...when you are looking for a reason to praise a player you will find it of course. Relative to other players though Regin was average and it was his best game this season. Maybe he surprises and has a talent spurt this late in his career and after all his injuries...but I doubt it. Regin will never be an impact player for this team and he won't have a spot much longer.

I don't mind him in our bottom 6 though for the next year or so. It's just silly to me that people keep expecting more from him.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Zorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Didn't he win a perfectly clean faceoff for the goal?

Oh, and if we want to talk about disappointment's, you can throw Zack Smith in with Regin thus far.
Won a faceoff against the worst faceoff team in the league.

This thread is entirely premature. He had ONE good game, and we're glossing over his hilarious gaffe on the play that led to the Sabre's first goal.

Yes, Regin had a good game, but it it was one game out of 9 where he did something useful in the offensive zone, and it should be taken with a grain of salt becuase the Sabres are struggling mightily right now.

I am in no way disputing that he had a good game. I am saying that no one should use this one game as ammunition to prove that he is anything but a disappointment.

And let's be honest, Zach Smith, while disappointing, is still more effective than the more disappointing Regin.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Question it all you want...when you are looking for a reason to praise a player you will find it of course. Relative to other players though Regin was average and it was his best game this season. Maybe he surprises and has a talent spurt this late in his career and after all his injuries...but I doubt it. Regin will never be an impact player for this team and he won't have a spot much longer.

I don't mind him in our bottom 6 though for the next year or so. It's just silly to me that people keep expecting more from him.
I don't think ANYONE in this thread is suggesting that somehow Peter Regin is a long term answer to a top 6 position.

But it's not even debatable, that game definitely was his best of the year and gives a reason to believe that he can be a contributor on this team. Prior to this game, I honestly believe that Regin would eventually be waived once injuries healed. Now, it seems as though he can be a solid secondary contributor to the team if he keeps this up.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:

This thread is entirely premature. He had ONE good game, and we're glossing over his hilarious gaffe on the play that led to the Sabre's first goal.

Yes, Regin had a good game, but it it was one game out of 9 where he did something useful in the offensive zone, and it should be taken with a grain of salt becuase the Sabres are struggling mightily right now.

I am in no way disputing that he had a good game. I am saying that no one should use this one game as ammunition to prove that he is anything but a disappointment.

And let's be honest, Zach Smith, while disappointing, is still more effective than the more disappointing Regin.
I agree with the thread being premature. I don't know so much about Smith being more effective, but I don't feel like debating it.

As far as the bolded goes, my only statement would be 9-10 games isn't enough ammunition for me personally to start using players as whipping boys just yet. Which is why I haven't really criticised any players, I mean were 6-3-1, were winning as a team and everything is going better than expected so far. I don't feel the need to doll out harsh criticisms.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Zorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I agree with the thread being premature. I don't know so much about Smith being more effective, but I don't feel like debating it.

As far as the bolded goes, my only statement would be 9-10 games isn't enough ammunition for me personally to start using players as whipping boys just yet. Which is why I haven't really criticised any players, I mean were 6-3-1, were winning as a team and everything is going better than expected so far. I don't feel the need to doll out harsh criticisms.
That's fair.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Ice-Tray

I'll never understand why people hate on our own players...

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:22 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

Why even discuss top 6 at all? He's playing on the 3rd or 4th line and is valuable for depth purposes. That's what is making this team successful - depth. The top 6 is fine without Regin and he's a fantastic player for the bottom 6. The Sens have better options for the bottom 6 than most teams, I don't see why there is a continual need to crap on the guys playing there because they're not 1st liners.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
This. Rampant homerism. When things don't go 100% well, everybody sucks. Honestly, it's a sign of a simple mind...

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
OgieO

Regin has been better than Smith this year. Maybe we take a break from Regin and start bashing Smith, because it seems inevitable that this board will insist on picking one player to bash.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villian.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
I don't think pointing out flaws in players is 'hating' on them. The issue with Regin is that some people pump him up like he could be the most talented player on the ice but something is holding him back. They keep waiting for him to 'break out' because he had one good playoff series.

I think people would talk about him a lot less if this was done away with and he was accepted for what he is -- a depth player that can occasionally contribute but can hopefully play sound defence.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
I don't think pointing out flaws in players is 'hating' on them. The issue with Regin is that some people pump him up like he could be the most talented player on the ice but something is holding him back. They keep waiting for him to 'break out' because he had one good playoff series.

I think people would talk about him a lot less if this was done away with and he was accepted for what he is -- a depth player that can occasionally contribute but can hopefully play sound defence.
I don't see anyone pumping Regin to be a long term 2nd line center that can put out 60+ points and that he is the "most talented player on the ice".

I see people relieved that a player that is going to get a bigger role due to injuries had a good game after a couple games that were classified as "XL steaming pile of ****".

Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
OgieO

Quote:

I disagree with you. I don't really see anyone talking him up like a star. If I missed it, fine, but I see enough threads here to know that even those of us that support him think he's a good 3rd liner and not much more. Nobody is pumping him up "like he could be the most talented player on the ice."

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Senators Fan View Post
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villian.
Lol sorry Bruce, but I think that only applies to the citizens of Gotham.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
coladin

Quote:

If you judge having a "good game" with points then I guess you are correct. If you look at all other facets of the game, you are wrong.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
BrawlFan

The guy is fast, can stickhandle, can kill penalties, and is a low maintenance guy when it comes to his personality. I like him as a bottom 6 player who can get you 10 goals a year and play key minutes on the PK. I don't mind him here for another year or two until Hoffman is ready to be an NHL regular. I see Hoffman as Regins replacement both in the bottom 6 and as a constant dissapointment to SENS fans.

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:43 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post

Talent is there. Just wish we saw it more.
Only conclusion I can come to is he needs to get rid of unlucky 13 I hate that number. Switch back to 43 or go to 93 but 13 is just not working right now.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

93 is taken but i agree.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote