HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How bad does Pegula look now?

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 03:38 AM
Wisent42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'm not seeing why this falls on the owner?

It's the GM's job to make decisions on the bench boss. Regier has the roster in a decent position now, and going forward, to take progressive steps to put a winning product on the ice. The coach is the one who's supposed to manage these bodies accordingly, handle ToI and roster situations with regards to who dresses and sits, who plays in what situations, etc.

Placing blame on a guy who has done nothing but inject financial support and enthusiasm into the organization is annoying. I don't want my owner making hockey decisions, especially when said owner has no hockey background.

Stop complaining to complain, and pick appropriate and legitimate things to whine about. Our owner isn't one.
This. The owners job is to keep the organisation healthy financally, including making sure the GM gets the tools he needs. The GM's job is to use those tools wisely to build a successful team. If Pegula starts making GM-decisions, I'll get worried. From the beginning I've been worried about that happening. A fan with money taking over could actually become a nighmare, because it would be hard for the GM to bite the hand that feeds him. I, and most of us here, would be really bad owners for that reason.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:34 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Pegula looks overly patient right now.

And given all that was said about him and how he rarely fires people, that was to be expected.

It will be interesting to see how he balances his loyalty to employees with his desire to win The Cup when he has two major employees that don't appear capable of delivering what he wants.

I hope that if this is another lost season that he wakes up and makes changes.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I hope Pegula isn't insane.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:42 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Blaming the guy who has already spent well north of 100 million since buying the team seems pretty stupid. Pegula's heart is in the right place and he's surrounded himself with hockey people. He doesn't believe in change for the sake of change, and that's a good thing.

I do think we'll see a change in coach at the end of the year.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:56 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

The only thing I would like is to hear him and or Black publicly say that this isn't acceptable. Thats something fans want to hear. To be honest, I don't think I've heard anyone from Lindy on up say that this isn't acceptable.

I don't agree with the extending of Regier, and I'm dying to know how much longer those 2 guys are under contract. For all we know he could have signed them for 4-6 years with a ton of money.

With all the dough he is shelling out, I have a hard time believing he didn't give them a hefty penny to "take care of them."

Old
02-06-2013, 08:32 AM
CrankyJay

He still looks pretty good to me...from the business side things are looking excellent. From the on-ice side, not so much, but he's still favorable to me. His fault is thinking of his business as a family. He mentioned this about his natural gas company...that his employees were like family. That's probably not the best approach when it comes to owning a major sports organization.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:42 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
The only thing I would like is to hear him and or Black publicly say that this isn't acceptable. Thats something fans want to hear. To be honest, I don't think I've heard anyone from Lindy on up say that this isn't acceptable.

I don't agree with the extending of Regier, and I'm dying to know how much longer those 2 guys are under contract. For all we know he could have signed them for 4-6 years with a ton of money.

With all the dough he is shelling out, I have a hard time believing he didn't give them a hefty penny to "take care of them."
Which matters exactly zero.

Pegula could sign Ruff to a 20 year contract extension today, and fire him tomorrow.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:49 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Yes.

Sorry - Regier has the organization in decent position. Not the current roster, but when you look down the road, you see Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, McCabe, Pysyk, McNabb, Cat, plus the likes of Hodgson, Vanek, Foligno, Pominville, Myers, Sekera, and Ennis.

I hope to god that you didn't enter this season with aspirations of a Cup run. Unrealistic.

We've been set up to grow this team into what we've all wanted: balanced team with centers who can make an impact, dynamic wingers, and blueline depth.

When you look at my Dream '16 team, provided that the youth grows as they should, we're missing toughness on the back end. That's it. And we have time to address that issue, especially if we're looking at 2016 (or in that area) as the year we start to become legitimate.

I don't think he's infatuated with them. He just didn't want to come in and immediately clean house - he wanted to see for himself what he had/didn't have. Hopefully he has done that.
So what do you think? About how long before this team is where they need to be at to be able to be a contender year in and year out like other organizations? I'd think 3 more years. Now if Ruff is still the coach down the road i don't know what to think.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Clock

He doesn't look bad to anyone who had reasonable expectations. The only move he made that I didn't like was the whole three year quote.

The case against Ruff (or maybe it's more appropriate to say "the case for bringing in a new voice") continues to grow in strength, however, and it's something Pegula might have to address if his first priority is still to move the team toward a championship. Especially if Regier won't pull the trigger.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Ace1963

This unknown billionaire comes out of nowhere, buys the team, and starts flaunting his money, and this causes fans to love him.

The cold, hard fact is that the team has gone backwards under his ownership. It's interesting that he immediately canned Larry Quinn, yet the same old problems remain. His extension of the RR team shows that he has no clue.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:34 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
Pegula looks overly patient right now.

And given all that was said about him and how he rarely fires people, that was to be expected.

It will be interesting to see how he balances his loyalty to employees with his desire to win The Cup when he has two major employees that don't appear capable of delivering what he wants.

I hope that if this is another lost season that he wakes up and makes changes.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I hope Pegula isn't insane.

exactly.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
The cold, hard fact is that the team has gone backwards under his ownership.
That's not a cold hard fact unless your qualifiers are extremely limited in scope.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Still glad he's here. Would be nice to hear what his current thoughts are and what he might be planning on doing, but the owner isn't really my problem right now.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:23 AM
indigoo

Great guy, great owner; but he is starting to look naive and too loyal for his own damn good. Maybe the past few years have shaped his opinions differently. We don't really know what he thinks. I would be fine with Ruff finishing out the season, if it means he's gone at the end. Perhaps that is what's happening here? If he wants to be seen as an owner who can win the cup, he needs to take chances, learn from his mistakes, and run a hard line of expectations. We know he is a softy, but if he's only that it will never work. He reflects the franchise's mentality right now.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:26 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
That's not a cold hard fact unless your qualifiers are extremely limited in scope.
Exactly. Maybe he's only looking at "team effort" and record.

There are many things that Golisano/Quinn would of never done that Pegula/Black have done. Don't be so narrow minded.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
He doesn't look bad to anyone who had reasonable expectations. The only move he made that I didn't like was the whole three year quote
Great point - that was a pretty huge gaffe, and I'd bet good money that if he could do it over again he wouldn't have said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
This unknown billionaire comes out of nowhere, buys the team, and starts flaunting his money, and this causes fans to love him.

The cold, hard fact is that the team has gone backwards under his ownership. It's interesting that he immediately canned Larry Quinn, yet the same old problems remain. His extension of the RR team shows that he has no clue.
Another great point - any way you slice it, this is true.

Quote:
I disagree with your disagreement. Not to say the team didn't sometimes look lost under BTG's ownership, but this is a new level of ineptitude. Couple that with the fact that Lindy's been festering behind the bench for another two years now, and... yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post

There are many things that Golisano/Quinn would of never done that Pegula/Black have done. Don't be so narrow minded.
As a fan, that and financial stabiliy (something we, correct me i I'm wrong, also had under BTG's ownership) are all I really care about. The on-ice product has not been very good the last couple of years.

Last edited by Fire Me: 02-06-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Spelling - work keyboard sucks!
Old
02-06-2013, 10:59 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post

Agreed,

Quick question...Does anyone have a list of all the off ice investment Pegula has put into this team since taking over? I think such a list would offset some of the negativity in here.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Group hug in the Sabres' new luxurious locker room, everyone!!!

Old
02-06-2013, 11:09 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Yes.

Sorry - Regier has the organization in decent position. Not the current roster, but when you look down the road, you see Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, McCabe, Pysyk, McNabb, Cat, plus the likes of Hodgson, Vanek, Foligno, Pominville, Myers, Sekera, and Ennis.
I hate comments like this. Are you insinuating that the other 29 franchises in the league also don't have an abundance of young talent? Plenty of other AHL teams have more and better talent than Rochester does. Plenty of other teams have more and better prospects in juniors.

Regier needs to go as does Ruff. And it needs to come directly from Pegula.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I hate comments like this. Are you insinuating that the other 29 franchises in the league also don't have an abundance of young talent? Plenty of other AHL teams have more and better talent than Rochester does. Plenty of other teams have more and better prospects in juniors.

Regier needs to go as does Ruff. And it needs to come directly from Pegula.
I think the Sabres have the 8th best pipeline/prospect pool right now

Old
02-06-2013, 11:15 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think the Sabres have the 8th best pipeline/prospect pool right now
But you can't sit there and say "just wait a few years until these guys are pros" and assume it all will get better. Fans of every team do that every single year. It's not that simple.

The Sabres do have a solid prospect pool right now, but this coach and GM will never put them over the top. They need to go.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

lol now people want Terry to be Wang?

Terry is bringing the money, Ted and Darcy gave to get rid off Ruff. And they will.

Pegula has been close to the perfect thing that could've happend to this franchise. It takes time to build a Detroit esque model. Aside from not firing Ruff, they have done more good than bad things.

jesus ****ing christ

Old
02-06-2013, 11:17 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
I'm not seeing why this falls on the owner?

It's the GM's job to make decisions on the bench boss. Regier has the roster in a decent position now, and going forward, to take progressive steps to put a winning product on the ice. The coach is the one who's supposed to manage these bodies accordingly, handle ToI and roster situations with regards to who dresses and sits, who plays in what situations, etc.

Placing blame on a guy who has done nothing but inject financial support and enthusiasm into the organization is annoying. I don't want my owner making hockey decisions, especially when said owner has no hockey background.

Stop complaining to complain, and pick appropriate and legitimate things to whine about. Our owner isn't one.
1) Pegula did specifically say when asked, that both Lindy and Regier "ain't going nowhere".

2) Pegula is the man. If his GM can't muster up the courage to dismiss Ruff, he either needs to have somebody else do it, or pressure Regier to do so. You bet your ass if Pegula/Black have a "meeting" with Darcy and say they want Lindy replaced, he would be. If he sees his GM unable to fire the coach who deserves so because their "friends", then him doing nothing about that would make him just as at fault.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
But you can't sit there and say "just wait a few years until these guys are pros" and assume it all will get better. Fans of every team do that every single year. It's not that simple.

The Sabres do have a solid prospect pool right now, but this coach and GM will never put them over the top. They need to go.
Well if the pipeline is good, they really need the right coach to groom them.

I'm more 50/50 on Regier... he makes good moves... and takes a lot of blame for hypothetical moves that he doesn't make (as if every UFA that would've filled a need would've wanted to come to Buffalo).

Players that leave bad mouth Ruff. No one wants to come here (unless you plant retarded money in front of them - Leino, Ehrhoff)

Old
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
sabrefan27

And Regier will not fire Ruff. They're going down together. Pegula needs to get the balls to do it. The longer he waits, the more he sets the franchise back.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
And Regier will not fire Ruff. They're going down together. Pegula needs to get the balls to do it. The longer he waits, the more he sets the franchise back.
I'm not so sure about that...I think there is growing evidence that speaks to a bit of a divide between Regier and Ruff. I could see Regier firing Ruff this season if the Sabres continue to lose...and I don't think Ruff would mind, I think he wants to be a GM, something that isn't going to happen here.

Closed Thread