HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Arnott news?

Old
08-21-2012, 07:49 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

vCash: 500
Jason Arnott news?

Is he leaning towards retirement or still looking for a contract? I doubt he's asking for much in terms of length or money. He'll be 38 by the time the season starts, maybe he'll generate some interest closer to training camp? What's the word on the street? I haven't heard much at all about him this off-season.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Apparently the Canucks were interested in him. Not sure how that's developing, though.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Earlier in the summer I thought the Sabres might show interest because I heard they may be looking for a 2nd or 3rd tier center but the latest I have heard Arnott wise is the Vancouver Canucks might have some interest in him. The St. Louis Blues don't seem to want Arnott back, presumably because they want to get younger. However, with Ryan Kesler expected to be sidelined until December, the Vancouver Canucks could use another capable center.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:15 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Apparently the Canucks were interested in him. Not sure how that's developing, though.
To add to this, his agent also said Arnott had interest in the Canucks as well. But it was reported that this was based on what happens to Doan. If Doan goes to Van, Arnott isn't needed. If they don't get him, they would sign him. Not sure how long Arnott is willing to wait for a contract though.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Arnott could probably still fill the role of a third line center, but asking him to be a second line center while Kesler is recovering might be asking a little too much IMO.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:02 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
The St. Louis Blues don't seem to want Arnott back, presumably because they want to get younger.
Arnott clashed with Hitchcock. Something happened where they had an argument because Arnott didn't think he should have to practice.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:07 PM
glasses91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
Arnott clashed with Hitchcock. Something happened where they had an argument because Arnott didn't think he should have to practice.
we're talkin' bout practice?

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:36 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
Wasn't there another incident as well? For whatever reason, I thought I read that when Arnott and the Blues(maybe Hitchcock) had a disagreement over a injury. Think Hitchcock felt that he was still injured so they should take it easy on him with use of ice time. Arnott felt he was fine and wanted more ice time.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:24 AM
DeltaSwede

I would not mind having Arnott sign with Vancouver but like previously said it all depends on what happens with Doan. If Doan is signed Arnott will likely not be signed.

He could be a cheap option and he will be worth more than what he is getting paid by the Canucks. 1-1.5 mil for a year to bring in leadership, experience, defensive abilities, a strong face off presence and not to ignore the 34 points he got last year playing for St. Louis.

If we somehow manage to sign both, there will be moves and that makes some other pieces expendable like Raymond, Malhotra, and Higgins (to some extent).

DeltaSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:27 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Why not back to Edmonton? Seems like a good fit and good way to go out.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Tact

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaSwede View Post
I would not mind having Arnott sign with Vancouver but like previously said it all depends on what happens with Doan. If Doan is signed Arnott will likely not be signed.

He could be a cheap option and he will be worth more than what he is getting paid by the Canucks. 1-1.5 mil for a year to bring in leadership, experience, defensive abilities, a strong face off presence and not to ignore the 34 points he got last year playing for St. Louis.

If we somehow manage to sign both, there will be moves and that makes some other pieces expendable like Raymond, Malhotra, and Higgins (to some extent).
Malholtra has a NTC and signing Arnott does not make Higgins expendable whatsoever. Doing that downgrades your team instead of improving.

Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Tripod

why rush out and sign a soon to be 38 year old when a lock-out could happen. Imagine if you sign him for 1 year, then the season is cancelled. could be a very bad signing. Would not ne surprised if he has a "agreement in faith" with a team that wants to make sure there will actually be a season.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:57 AM
GaryU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
why rush out and sign a soon to be 38 year old when a lock-out could happen. Imagine if you sign him for 1 year, then the season is cancelled. could be a very bad signing. Would not ne surprised if he has a "agreement in faith" with a team that wants to make sure there will actually be a season.
Sounds about right...Hawks could use him for a year..

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:14 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
This is a strong point.

Considering that Arnott will likely have a very low cap hit, 1 year deal Vancouver could sign both him and Doan, use Doan on the 2nd until Kesler is back, then move him to wing.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:42 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
I'd be more concerned that you give him a contract and then hockey resumes in February and you find out that this 38 year old vet didn't train or do anything for the past 8 months.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:01 AM
IComeInPeace

I believe the injury and practice incidents are one and the same. Something like if you are too injured to practice, then you are too injured to play. Hitch wanted him to practice and Arnott said he was injured enough that he should sit out of practice. Hitch complied, but sat him the next game as well.

I'm sure this is not the exact story, but it is something along these lines. One of our Blues posters can correct me if I'm way off here.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:45 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'd be more concerned that you give him a contract and then hockey resumes in February and you find out that this 38 year old vet didn't train or do anything for the past 8 months.
I.E., the Byfuglien training program.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I.E., the Byfuglien training program.
Hey, he's training for his lockout job of becoming an NFL lineman...

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:40 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Wasn't there another incident as well? For whatever reason, I thought I read that when Arnott and the Blues(maybe Hitchcock) had a disagreement over a injury. Think Hitchcock felt that he was still injured so they should take it easy on him with use of ice time. Arnott felt he was fine and wanted more ice time.
He was run out of Nashville for the same reason.

Gee, sounds like the kind of guy I want on my team!

It's hilarious how many people cite his "veteran leadership," when, in the words of Sloan, "he's certainly the former, but he's not so much the latter."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
He was run out of Nashville for the same reason.

Gee, sounds like the kind of guy I want on my team!

It's hilarious how many people cite his "veteran leadership," when, in the words of Sloan, "he's certainly the former, but he's not so much the latter."
Its impossible to know the true details of what happened with Hitchcock, but I think the bigger factor is that he's just deteriorated to the point that he's too slow to be effective on a regular line. He still has good enough hands to work out on a PP or spot duty, but he just couldn't fit on a line for the Blues without forcing them to change their style of play to accommodate his physical limitations.

I think he's done as an NHL player that matters. Whether he retires or latches on with a team as a 4th line guy, I'm not sure. But it sure doesn't warrant any wasted effort on speculation.

Say he signs with Vancouver. So what?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/st...90012874985472

47m Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
Agent Wade Arnott says brother Jason "cleared to play" after knee scope, and has "a few things ongoing with NHL clubs."
Details

36m Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
With just 2 assists in 10 games, Columbus farms C Ryan Johansen out to Springfield.
Details

27m Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
For those asking, Arnott did fail medical with NYR, and is still a UFA. Don't expect EDM to sign - Belanger (foot) will be back soon.
Details

02-06-2013, 11:19 AM
DeRossi16

If Ottawa is struggling for goals again soon I could see them signing him for cheap.

DeRossi16 is offline   Reply With Quote