HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 10:15 AM
  #876
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
The entire interview is actual really tame and Liut hardly says anything inflammatory, but if you cherry pick quotes without putting them in context, of course it will make the situation look worse. Our media wants a goalie controversy, it sells
Spin it however you want, all i said when this first came out, is that people will make a big deal of it. Everyone is misquoted these days apparently, so do I believe him? Meh, sorta but, Liut had to know saying nothing was the best card to play.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
  #877
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Here is you unnamed source, lol, printed in the Vancouver Sun Canuck Cory Schneiderís agent hopes Roberto Luongo trade comes sooner rather than later
'We were hoping this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games,' says Mike Liut
By Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz2K7nnQrQO
That is completely different than the article written on TSN.

The TSN article (which not one person is willing to commit their name to) is a bunch of selected quotes from the article, framed in a narrative that spews controversy.

That is the issue here. Write an article, sign your name to it....no integrity behind that "journalism".

The article did what it wanted. I just find it funny when the real article in the sun came out there wasn't nearly the controversy, but when the quotes were framed with propaganda, its a huge debacle.
-------

I'm sure the line is a bit blurry, but I just don't like how the article was written by TSN staff, because not one person is willing to stand being their own 'work'.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 10:42 AM
  #878
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
To be fair Reimer was battling a concussion mid season. I think hes back to form. Its not like this year is an anomaly. He played good his 1st season and second season pre concussion
What it really boils down to is that he had a good rookie season and then faltered last season. The jury is still out on whether his rookie season was an anomoly or last season was an anomoly. We'll see this season.

vanwest is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
  #879
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Wow. To any rational HF'er (I know, doesn't exist) Kesler = Mike Richards. Heck, I would rather have Richards over Kesler any day. The package you suggest not being good enough is WAY higher than the price paid for Richards. Now, maybe you are saying that Kesler is worth SO much to VAN that it would take massive overpayment to get him in a trade, but to say that he is worth Kessel, Kadri and Gardiner + is absolutely bonkers.

To get back on track - If I were TOR at this point, I would be maxing out at Kadri and Gardiner (maybe a 2nd or 3rd thrown in) for Lu or Schneider, no way Kessel or Lupol or Grabo would even be in the discussion. And before someone brings up that I used the Richards trade as a bell-weather, and certainly Lu (and maybe Schneider) is worth more than Richards, VAN still has to face the fact that the Cap is getting diced next year, and good luck with $10mm committed to goalies.
Kesler at 5 vs Richards at 6.6....I'd imagine quite a few teams disagree.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
  #880
Diamonddog01
Registered User
 
Diamonddog01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Kesler at 5 vs Richards at 6.6....I'd imagine quite a few teams disagree.
Not just salary...Kesler is a much better player overall than Richards.

Diamonddog01 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:07 AM
  #881
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
What it really boils down to is that he had a good rookie season and then faltered last season. The jury is still out on whether his rookie season was an anomoly or last season was an anomoly. We'll see this season.
I totally agree with this post. I will also state with clarity that Luongo is a much better goalie than Reimer. When it comes to a Luongo to TO trade, we must ask ourselves...much like many Nuck's fans have asked (does trading Luongo for XXX make our team better?), are the Leafs a better team with Luongo minus the pieces required to get him.....or with Reimer/Scrivens plus said pieces. Right now goaltending isn't an issue. Will it become one? Maybe.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:10 AM
  #882
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I totally agree with this post. I will also state with clarity that Luongo is a much better goalie than Reimer. When it comes to a Luongo to TO trade, we must ask ourselves...much like many Nuck's fans have asked (does trading Luongo for XXX make our team better?), are the Leafs a better team with Luongo minus the pieces required to get him.....or with Reimer/Scrivens plus said pieces. Right now goaltending isn't an issue. Will it become one? Maybe.
I agree with your agreement with me.
Seriously though, I think that you've stated it well. The two teams are at different satges right now though too and the Leafs may need to look more at the long term impact as well.

vanwest is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:11 AM
  #883
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Not just salary...Kesler is a much better player overall than Richards.
Not to stir stuff up too much here but I think your "much better player" comment is from a Nucks fan view. The fact is they are almost identical players period.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:15 AM
  #884
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Not to stir stuff up too much here but I think your "much better player" comment is from a Nucks fan view. The fact is they are almost identical players period.
To be fair the people who vote for the Selke who aren't Canuck fans don't agree.
I'm not saying it isn't close though.

vanwest is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:18 AM
  #885
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
To be fair the people who vote for the Selke who aren't Canuck fans don't agree.
Yes he has has a Selke, but are you seriously going to tell me that Kesser is a "much better" player then Richards? I never put Kessler down, I simply stated that they are almost identical. But if we bring up hardware and trophy cases we can.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:21 AM
  #886
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Yes he has has a Selke, but are you seriously going to tell me that Kesser is a "much better" player then Richards? I never put Kessler down, I simply stated that they are almost identical. But if we bring up hardware and trophy cases we can.
I edited my post after to acknowledge that it is close. Winning the Selke in the Datsuyk era is a big accomplishment though. Doing that while scoring over 40 goals is a huge deal.

vanwest is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
  #887
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I agree with your agreement with me.
Seriously though, I think that you've stated it well. The two teams are at different satges right now though too and the Leafs may need to look more at the long term impact as well.
See this is what i had said before, lol and got ripped. The leafs are not a deep enough team nor Loungo away to part with what might be necessary. He is also a good enough goalie to fool yourself into thinking your team is better then it is, IMO. Is he a better goalie then Reimer, yes. Is Reimer the sieve some here make him out to be, I think not but we will see. He was mishandled last year after his head/neck injury. Is that an excuse no, but it didn't help him. That being said with a killer draft and a miracle in free agency I would not be oppossed to Lou, as long as he WANTS to be there.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:25 AM
  #888
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I edited my post after to acknowledge that it is close. Winning the Selke in the Datsuyk era is a big accomplishment though. Doing that while scoring over 40 goals is a huge deal.
Sure it is, which is why i never ripped him. Personally i am not a Kessler fan, but he is a good player.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:26 AM
  #889
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I agree with your agreement with me.
Seriously though, I think that you've stated it well. The two teams are at different satges right now though too and the Leafs may need to look more at the long term impact as well.
Whether we as fans agree or not, it seems that Nonis has decided to run with the kids. The fact that we are at .500 right now is just a bonus. Watching guys like Kadri, Frattin, Reimer and JVR perform well so far gives us a glimpse of our future. That's not me saying that these guys hold more trade value than Luongo....just that we are winning with what we have.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:30 AM
  #890
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Whether we as fans agree or not, it seems that Nonis has decided to run with the kids. The fact that we are at .500 right now is just a bonus. Watching guys like Kadri, Frattin, Reimer and JVR perform well so far gives us a glimpse of our future. That's not me saying that these guys hold more trade value than Luongo....just that we are winning with what we have.
I can't argue with that. I've really liked what I've seen especially from Frattin who goes to those dirty areas. The big question will be whether the goaltending can hold out. If it does then the playoffs look like a possibility and it should be a good experience for the young guys. If Kessel gets going that should help a lot too. It all boils down to how Reimer and Scrivens do.

vanwest is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:34 AM
  #891
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I can't argue with that. I've really liked what I've seen especially from Frattin who goes to those dirty areas. The big question will be whether the goaltending can hold out. If it does then the playoffs look like a possibility and it should be a good experience for the young guys. If Kessel gets going that should help a lot too. It all boils down to how Reimer and Scrivens do.
The funny thing is, Kessel IS going, just snakebitten. He is playing MUCH better defensively and he's good on the forecheck. I openly admit that i don't see us as a playoff team as we stand. That being said, if the teams below us continue to falter, it does give some hope.

Carlyle has almost performed a miracle with how he has the forwards playing defense. I mean we have guys like Kostka, Fraser and Holzer playing substancial minutes and our forwards are helping them to not look out of place.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:35 AM
  #892
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I can't argue with that. I've really liked what I've seen especially from Frattin who goes to those dirty areas. The big question will be whether the goaltending can hold out. If it does then the playoffs look like a possibility and it should be a good experience for the young guys. If Kessel gets going that should help a lot too. It all boils down to how Reimer and Scrivens do.
I have to say i think Reimer will be fine only because he doesn't get rattled. That being said i think Nonis need to aquire a vetern back up and no I don't mean yours, lol. Scrivens I am just not sure he is a true NHL goalie.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
  #893
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
The funny thing is, Kessel IS going, just snakebitten. He is playing MUCH better defensively and he's good on the forecheck. I openly admit that i don't see us as a playoff team as we stand. That being said, if the teams below us continue to falter, it does give some hope.

Carlyle has almost performed a miracle with how he has the forwards playing defense. I mean we have guys like Kostka, Fraser and Holzer playing substancial minutes and our forwards are helping them to not look out of place.
This is gonna sound stupid but we have needed a dam nlike Fraser for so long. Much like Bieksa takes care of his teammates, Fraser does the same. And, NO i am not saying fraser is the same as Bieksa, lol. Just like that in the Bruins game there was a player taking a regular shift who imediately answered the bell when Kessel was run at similar to how other teams have players that do, that goes a long way.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:50 AM
  #894
BigAl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Not just salary...Kesler is a much better player overall than Richards.
Ummmmm, no. Quite the opposite actually.

BigAl is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:51 AM
  #895
BeersHockey
Registered User
 
BeersHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Not just salary...Kesler is a much better player overall than Richards.
Stats don't tell the whole story, but they are pretty darn convincing here, given their comps:

Kesler: (7.25 seasons) 561 games, 153 goals, 184 assists = 337; 1 Selke, 0 Cups.

Richards: (7 seasons) 527 games, 151 goals, 242 assists = 393; lost Selke to Datsyuk in closest vote ever in awards history (945-942), 1 Cup.

BeersHockey is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
  #896
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,917
vCash: 5555
Richards is washed up offensively(relatively speaking) Kesler has an excuse due to injuries last year, but I like his chances of rebounding much more than Richards.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
  #897
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Stats don't tell the whole story, but they are pretty darn convincing here, given their comps:

Kesler: (7.25 seasons) 561 games, 153 goals, 184 assists = 337; 1 Selke, 0 Cups.

Richards: (7 seasons) 527 games, 151 goals, 242 assists = 393; lost Selke to Datsyuk in closest vote ever in awards history (945-942), 1 Cup.
Now do the stats for the last 3 years. Richards has really fallen off offensively. It's Kesler by quite a bit offensively and that's despite being injured a good part of last year. I don't think anyone would dispute that early on Richards was a better offensive player as Kesler started out as pretty much a checking center.

vanwest is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
  #898
Ballgarath
Registered User
 
Ballgarath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Ummmmm, no. Quite the opposite actually.
LoL richards is better? had an overall better career yes but at 32 today no way is he a 40 goal scoring selke winner. thx for coming out though.

Ballgarath is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:10 PM
  #899
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,227
vCash: 500
Why are we talking about Kesler and Richards.

Kesler is also bigger, stronger, and faster.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
  #900
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgarath View Post
LoL richards is better? had an overall better career yes but at 32 today no way is he a 40 goal scoring selke winner. thx for coming out though.
Kesler is not 32, he is 28.........

Numbers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.