HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Little flashback from last offseason

Old
07-04-2006, 10:48 AM
KaptainKourage*

vCash: 500
Little flashback from last offseason

PIT, CHI, TOR, PHC have all being big buyers last offseason, signing big big names.. and no one of these team actually make the playoff. Sure, UFA market can help a team but we need to build around the draft and trades. Let take exemple on Buffalo that sign no one last season except one number 6 dmen in Numminem (Bouillon) and trade for a top 4 dmens (lydman). We should try the samething, becuz look like no one want to come here. Trade for a player, dont sign anyone.

Malone anyone ?? I think he would be a perfect player to replace Ribs on the 2nd line. Pitts have too much center anyway. Price wont be that high imo. Maybe Zednik and a 2nd

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
That's what I've been saying to my friends all weekend long... Signings don't necessarily translate into wins. Look at Carolina and Buffalo, it's all about team chemistry.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:02 AM
furax

Send a message via ICQ to furax
i don't think anybody expected Bob to build the team with UFAs... most ppl were expecting 1 top 6 forward.... So i don't think our situation is comparable to those teams...

With that said... signing Elias for 7 years or Arnott for 5 years is not a good option... and i think must ppl agree to that... so it's a bit funny that many people complain Bob isn't doing anything.

I mean it's okay to overpay for a free agent... but 5 or 7 years is just too much.... mostly considering we have plenty of prospects who have the potential to become top 6 forward within 2-3 years. It's like signing Huet for 5 years when you know Price should be ready to take over in 2-3 years...

At the moment, i think Shanahan would be a good option since he would probably sign for 2 years considering his age. This guy can still put the puck in the net and can bring the leadership we use to have with a guy like Gilmour.

furax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
official list
from NHLPA.com

660 000 or below - FREE
over 660 000 to 1million - 3rd round pick
over 1 million to 2million - 2nd round pick
over 2 million to 3million - 1st round and 3rd round picks
over 3 million to 4million - 1st round and 2nd round and 3rd round picks
over 4 million to 5million - 2X 1st round and 2nd round and 3rd round picks
over 5 million - 4X 1st round picks

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:17 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix View Post
official list
from NHLPA.com

660 000 or below - FREE
over 660 000 to 1million - 3rd round pick
over 1 million to 2million - 2nd round pick
over 2 million to 3million - 1st round and 3rd round picks
over 3 million to 4million - 1st round and 2nd round and 3rd round picks
over 4 million to 5million - 2X 1st round and 2nd round and 3rd round picks
over 5 million - 4X 1st round picks
I assume there's an exception to rookies. Otherwise when will Crosby be a RFA?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I assume there's an exception to rookies. Otherwise when will Crosby be a RFA?
crosby RFA in 2 years

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Makarov

I don't agree with your logic...

There are multiple holes on this team, both on offense and defense, that need to be filled...

Free agency offers an opportunity to fill those holes; that is the approach most intelligent GM's take...

The Wild are a good example; they realised they needed secondary scoring behind Gaborik who was being pressured too much by the opposition so they traded for Demitra but then also signed Parrish and to aid them also signed a puck moving blueliner in Johnsson...

We needed to get bigger on offense and add some scoring punch; that was the reason for pursuing Arnott and Elias...

Free agency is a big asset for GM's if put to good use, to this point Gainey hasn't done that...

Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:26 AM
kostitsyn1489

And Ovechkin next year I think. We sign both to 8M for 15 years and we give our first pick for the next 8 years Yeah!

Seriously I agree with that. Sign a lot of UFA doesn't mean more victory. Chemistery is the name of the game. Coach is one of the most important thing too. Hurricanes don't have too many big name but they'd a lot of good unknown player like Cullen A.Ward Stillman The Adams Williams. There coach done awesome job too and they win. Buffalo have a good team but no big name but the chemistery was there too and with a lot of injury they win a lot of game. Player like Arnott and Savard aren't fit in a system so we don't need them in our team.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Habsaku

The wild have done jack **** the last few years. Boston as well, NY as well and the list goes on. Teams that have won stanley cups have had core players emerge from within not from outside. I think the only glaring weakness the habs have is at the 2nd line, but Ribeiro could very well repeat the season he had 2 years ago, or even better.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:38 AM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
That's what I've been saying to my friends all weekend long... Signings don't necessarily translate into wins. Look at Carolina and Buffalo, it's all about team chemistry.
Activity does matter.

Carolina signed Cory Stillman (curse his grave), Matt Cullen, Ray Whitney, Frank Kaberle, Martin Gerber, Oleg Tverdovsky, and traded for Mike Commodore from the end of 2004 to the beginning of the 2005-06 season. Mid-season, they acquired Doug Weight, and at the trade deadline, acquired Mark Recchi.

Buffalo didn't do a lot, but by not shoring up their defensive depth they got defeated in the playoffs. Lou Lam's rule of thumb is to have 10 d-men you have full confidence in heading into the playoffs.

Edmonton made a ton of moves to improve themselves last year. Pronger and Peca were the big off-season moves, and mid-season they got Spacek and Tarnstrom. At the deadline they got Roloson and Samsonov as well as signing a guy like Rem Murray.

Anaheim signed Niedermeyer and Selanne last off-season, trimmed the excess fat from their roster (Rucchin, Leclerc), toughened up (Fedoruk, Moen), traded Fedorov early for Beauchemin and Marchant (essentially), broke their rookies in slowly (Getzlaf, Perry, Beauchemin, Bryzgalov, Penner), and made some adjustments at the deadline (Carney out, O'Donnell in, Friesen in).

These were the final 4... the best examples you have. Any of these teams could've won the Cup.

There will be some natural growth from our younger players, but also some uncertainty. In my opinion, our biggest weaknesses last year were 1) finishing, 2) lack of quick puck movement from D, 3) centre depth (no one really got a good 2nd line going, Kovalev did all the work). We still have time to improve these areas if we want (I don't think we will on the D side, and hopefully it's not addressed by creating whole new problems by signing Poti), but our options are definitely a lot more limited right now.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Makarov

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
Activity does matter.

Carolina signed Cory Stillman (curse his grave), Matt Cullen, Ray Whitney, Frank Kaberle, Martin Gerber, Oleg Tverdovsky, and traded for Mike Commodore from the end of 2004 to the beginning of the 2005-06 season. Mid-season, they acquired Doug Weight, and at the trade deadline, acquired Mark Recchi.

Buffalo didn't do a lot, but by not shoring up their defensive depth they got defeated in the playoffs. Lou Lam's rule of thumb is to have 10 d-men you have full confidence in heading into the playoffs.

Edmonton made a ton of moves to improve themselves last year. Pronger and Peca were the big off-season moves, and mid-season they got Spacek and Tarnstrom. At the deadline they got Roloson and Samsonov as well as signing a guy like Rem Murray.

Anaheim signed Niedermeyer and Selanne last off-season, trimmed the excess fat from their roster (Rucchin, Leclerc), toughened up (Fedoruk, Moen), traded Fedorov early for Beauchemin and Marchant (essentially), broke their rookies in slowly (Getzlaf, Perry, Beauchemin, Bryzgalov, Penner), and made some adjustments at the deadline (Carney out, O'Donnell in, Friesen in).

These were the final 4... the best examples you have. Any of these teams could've won the Cup.

There will be some natural growth from our younger players, but also some uncertainty. In my opinion, our biggest weaknesses last year were 1) finishing, 2) lack of quick puck movement from D, 3) centre depth (no one really got a good 2nd line going, Kovalev did all the work). We still have time to improve these areas if we want (I don't think we will on the D side, and hopefully it's not addressed by creating whole new problems by signing Poti), but our options are definitely a lot more limited right now.
Excellent analysis...

As I mentioned free agency, when used prudently and effectively is a huge asset...

Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote