HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

This is a Bad Hockey Team: Part 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
  #451
segmentation fault
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
at what point do we stop saying "it's early" "it's rust from the lockout" "it's the amount of roster turnover" and acknowledge that maybe this team actually is not put together well?
Well, never of course! Theres always an excuse. I am seeing 0 signs of improvement over last year, and I am even beginning to think last year was just a fluke. They had a crappy start and a crappy end and somehow managed to get through 2 7-game rounds.

Also, I dont care about how good the teams we played were. We are supposed to be that good team.

Quote:
I'd also like to add that the doom and gloom, for me, is that this team has the same old problems year, after year, after year. Powerplay. Puck Possession. Same old Rangers.
Yep. Can't agree more.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
  #452
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,162
vCash: 500
We stop saying it is early when it's no longer early. Simple.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
  #453
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,474
vCash: 500
Jets fans have SOJ. The Rangers have SOR it seems.

If the PP doesn't improve this team will be junk this year. Teams don't fear the Rangers PP and have no reason to. It is the least creative system that I've ever seen.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:53 AM
  #454
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I agree to an extent. No doubt that preferred style of play last year was to win battles in the trenches below the hash. With that said, I dont see any evidence that offensive creativity on the rush is being stifled. In fact, most of our the teams good scoring chances have come off the rush these first 9 games.

If you have a chance on the rush, take it. If theres no play in the neutral zone, dump it and win a few battles. Its not rocket science. Im not sure why this team is having such a hard time with it.
Yeah, there aren't enough east-west players on the roster to indicate to me that we're stifling creativity on the rush. We're just not great in the puck handling department. Kreider and Gaborik have wicked shots, but are average at best when it comes to "dangling" with the puck through traffic. Richards is too slow to be elusive in traffic. Stepan isn't strong enough to battle through traffic. Hagelin is blazing fast, but isn't a great puck handler either.

The real problem, IMO, is the lack of intensity on the forecheck. It's called dump and chase, not dump and casually pester the opposing defense before retreating.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
  #455
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yeah, there aren't enough east-west players on the roster to indicate to me that we're stifling creativity on the rush. We're just not great in the puck handling department. Kreider and Gaborik have wicked shots, but are average at best when it comes to "dangling" with the puck through traffic. Richards is too slow to be elusive in traffic. Stepan isn't strong enough to battle through traffic. Hagelin is blazing fast, but isn't a great puck handler either.

The real problem, IMO, is the lack of intensity on the forecheck. It's called dump and chase, not dump and casually pester the opposing defense before retreating.
Yes, and lack of intensity in general, to be honest. Last year's team played with a chip on its shoulder every night. So far, this team is playing like there hasnt been NHL hockey in 8 months AND a team thats read the Stanley Cup prediction. Torts needs to find a spark, and I think he will.

The special teams is a whole different story. Heavily concerned about that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
  #456
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
He needs two sparks, one on the backend and one upfront. We need at least two guys who can carry the puck.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:16 PM
  #457
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,299
vCash: 500
We seem to have a lot of guys who can either rush the puck, or pass the puck, but not do both. Del Zotto makes great outlet passes, but hasn't shown a consistent ability to lead a rush. Staal and McDonagh can go end to end, but can't figure out what to do with it after they cross the blue line. Richards is too slow. Gaborik can't move the puck anywhere other than a straight line. Etc, etc...

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
  #458
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL
 
Wamsutta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Bring back Avery, Korpikoski, Naslund and Kalinin!

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
  #459
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
We seem to have a lot of guys who can either rush the puck, or pass the puck, but not do both. Del Zotto makes great outlet passes, but hasn't shown a consistent ability to lead a rush. Staal and McDonagh can go end to end, but can't figure out what to do with it after they cross the blue line. Richards is too slow. Gaborik can't move the puck anywhere other than a straight line. Etc, etc...
One play that stuck out last night was when Nash decided to *GASP* carry the puck across the blue line, back the defender off and give a drop pass to Richards, who then had a great scoring chance.

Why not do that more often?

__________________
Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:30 PM
  #460
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
One play that stuck out last night was when Nash decided to *GASP* carry the puck across the blue line, back the defender off and give a drop pass to Richards, who then had a great scoring chance.

Why not do that more often?
Because quite often that drop pass goes to the opposing team for an odd man rush the other way?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
  #461
segmentation fault
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
Bring back Avery, Korpikoski, Naslund and Kalinin!
Probably wont even notice a difference with them.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:40 PM
  #462
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Because quite often that drop pass goes to the opposing team for an odd man rush the other way?
Richards was the trailer and Nash backed up the defensman. It was timed well.

You just need to make sure there is a player from your own team behind you.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:42 PM
  #463
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Richards was the trailer and Nash backed up the defensman. It was timed well.

You just need to make sure there is a player from your own team behind you.
I agree...some improved chemistry should help with that.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:42 PM
  #464
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL
 
Wamsutta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
Probably wont even notice a difference with them.
Stepan is the new Prucha

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
  #465
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
We seem to have a lot of guys who can either rush the puck, or pass the puck, but not do both. Del Zotto makes great outlet passes, but hasn't shown a consistent ability to lead a rush. Staal and McDonagh can go end to end, but can't figure out what to do with it after they cross the blue line. Richards is too slow. Gaborik can't move the puck anywhere other than a straight line. Etc, etc...
I've been saying we lack and need a puck skating defenseman, for how long now?

Transition game, getting through the neutral zone, gaining the offensive zone.

Something we do not do consistently. We do not have a player that can do it consistently.

It drastically effects the power play, as well.

The Rangers NEED to find a defenseman that can be a consistent threat every night.

Del Zotto is a threat only once the team is set up in the offensive zone, or if he reads a play and jumps in to help on a rush. But he isn't the guy creating that rush or gaining the zone.

How long does it take this team to reacquire possession and gain the zone on the power play? It seems like they waste 20 seconds a piece every time the opposition clears the zone. And we fumble with it trying to get back up ice.

IMO, it's priority #1 at the draft in June. If they were smart, they would put themselves in position at the draft to get their hands on the top offensive defenseman in the draft, not named Seth Jones, he is going #1 or #2 overall. Depends on who ever picks, values McKinnon or Jones more.

This is where clearing Gaborik's 7 million and getting a first round pick comes in, in June. Cap is decreasing. RFAs need to be resigned. We have needs. Where else is that cap space coming from. Gaborik + lesser pieces for a 1st and lesser pieces.

Rely less on top heavy, and become more by committee.

We desperately need a defenseman like this.

I feel our forward depth will start to correct its self soon. Lindberg and Fast will be ready at some point next year. Hrivik will be too, depending on his health.

We are devoid of a consistent legitimate threat from the back end.

It's a lot easier to find a cheap veteran to fill the 3rd pair.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
  #466
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
Bring back Avery, Korpikoski, Naslund and Kalinin!
I'd gladly take Korpeedo back on this team.

Should never have traded him in the first place.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:50 PM
  #467
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I've been saying we lack and need a puck skating defenseman, for how long now?

Transition game, getting through the neutral zone, gaining the offensive zone.

Something we do not do consistently. We do not have a player that can do it consistently.

It drastically effects the power play, as well.

The Rangers NEED to find a defenseman that can be a consistent threat every night.

Del Zotto is a threat only once the team is set up in the offensive zone, or if he reads a play and jumps in to help on a rush. But he isn't the guy creating that rush or gaining the zone.

How long does it take this team to reacquire possession and gain the zone on the power play? It seems like they waste 20 seconds a piece every time the opposition clears the zone. And we fumble with it trying to get back up ice.

IMO, it's priority #1 at the draft in June. If they were smart, they would put themselves in position at the draft to get their hands on the top offensive defenseman in the draft, not named Seth Jones, he is going #1 or #2 overall. Depends on who ever picks, values McKinnon or Jones more.

This is where clearing Gaborik's 7 million and getting a first round pick comes in, in June. Cap is decreasing. RFAs need to be resigned. We have needs. Where else is that cap space coming from. Gaborik + lesser pieces for a 1st and lesser pieces.

Rely less on top heavy, and become more by committee.

We desperately need a defenseman like this.

I feel our forward depth will start to correct its self soon. Lindberg and Fast will be ready at some point next year. Hrivik will be too, depending on his health.

We are devoid of a consistent legitimate threat from the back end.

It's a lot easier to find a cheap veteran to fill the 3rd pair.


Havent been on this site for a full day and im already contemplating leaving. Some of these ****in comments are just, amazing.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
  #468
Matt Carle Place
Man Gravity Forgot
 
Matt Carle Place's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Havent been on this site for a full day and im already contemplating leaving. Some of these ****in comments are just, amazing.
Really? With the acquisition of Nash, there is no way we can keep him, Gaborik, and Richards long term with all the raises our young talent are going to get. It is best long term to trade Gaborik for picks, prospects, NHLers before we lose him for nothing the following year. The hope is that an older Kreider and Stepan, plus the introduction of Miller, Fast, etc., can make up for losing Gaborik's production.

Matt Carle Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
  #469
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,773
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
Stepan is the new Prucha
No, Zuccarello is the new Prucha.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
  #470
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,473
vCash: 500
Philly was 3-7-1 in the first 11 games in 1995. They swapped Recchi for Desjardins and LeClair. The team ended up at 28-16-4. 25-9-3. 1st in the Atlantic. 2nd in the conference. Jersey was 3-5-2 in their first 10. They were not over .500 until game #33. Jersey was 12-13-6. Ended up 22-18-8. 10-5-2 to finish the season. 8-14-2 on the road. 2nd in the division. 5th in the conference. Rolled over everyone in the playoffs.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:09 PM
  #471
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck Good Answer View Post
Really? With the acquisition of Nash, there is no way we can keep him, Gaborik, and Richards long term with all the raises our young talent are going to get. It is best long term to trade Gaborik for picks, prospects, NHLers before we lose him for nothing the following year. The hope is that an older Kreider and Stepan, plus the introduction of Miller, Fast, etc., can make up for losing Gaborik's production.

Id rather keep Gaborik. In a city/franchise that has proven to be kryptonite to so many stars/elite players, Gaborik and Jagr are the only two in recent memory that come to mind that still produced here. Im sure Nash will get going at some point, but color me unimpressed thus far with him. Richards looks lost this year, but last year he was as advertised. I really dont want to go through the last 10 years of other failed Sather projects, but Gaborik and Jagr are definitely the two that jump out. I think its foolish to move Gaborik if he can re-sign for less.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
  #472
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
This is getting really hard to watch. They look slow as heck, they dump and chase 100% of the time despite nobody on the team having the speed (or effort) to beat the opposing team to the puck. The powerplay consists of guys standing still passing for 120 seconds. Nobody is really throwing the body at all, either. You have three lines of grinders blocking shots and a top line who is also expected to grind and block shots. Who's supposed to score?

I watch games because it's a thing that I do. I watch Rangers games. But I'm not enjoying them at all at this point.

Dont watch other games. Youll be amazed/depressed at the same time just watching their PPs.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:19 PM
  #473
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
On these boards there are the following crowds:

Gaborik is invisible and softer than tissue; get him out of here!

Gaborik is our best player and the only guy who can score goals!

Nash has been terrible! The trade was terrible! Nash can't even shoot!

Nash is our new best player and the only one who creates offense!

Richards is beginning to decline and it's easy to see; we should probably use our buyout on him!

Richards is the only legit C we have and his play style indicates he can keep going even as he ages!

Stepan is garbage and shouldn't be in the top-six!

Stepan is a legit young 2C with a defensive game to boot!

Bring back Zucc! Zucc is SO offensively skilled! He's just what this team needs!

More grit! More JAM!

Hank has been garbage! Biron is the best goalie on the team!

MDZ is our best defenseman!

MDZ has rocks for brains!

Boyle is a garbage, fringe NHLer who shouldn't even see regular shifts!

Boyle is an adequate 3C with a good defensive game!

Hagelin sucks!

Wait for our youth to develop and stop panicking!

Torts is a clown and he's to blame! Him and his system! It kills offense!

It's Sullivan! Fire Sullivan!!!

But Sullivan doesn't even run the PP!

Oh yes he does!!

Fire Sather!


And I'm sure I've missed plenty. It's enough to lose faith in humanity, let alone your ability to take pride in being a Rangers fan.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
  #474
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck Good Answer View Post
Really? With the acquisition of Nash, there is no way we can keep him, Gaborik, and Richards long term with all the raises our young talent are going to get. It is best long term to trade Gaborik for picks, prospects, NHLers before we lose him for nothing the following year. The hope is that an older Kreider and Stepan, plus the introduction of Miller, Fast, etc., can make up for losing Gaborik's production.
I really believe the Rangers will buy-out Richard after next season ( I believe that is in the CBA). No way to justify his cap it after next season.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
  #475
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Philly was 3-7-1 in the first 11 games in 1995. They swapped Recchi for Desjardins and LeClair. The team ended up at 28-16-4. 25-9-3. 1st in the Atlantic. 2nd in the conference. Jersey was 3-5-2 in their first 10. They were not over .500 until game #33. Jersey was 12-13-6. Ended up 22-18-8. 10-5-2 to finish the season. 8-14-2 on the road. 2nd in the division. 5th in the conference. Rolled over everyone in the playoffs.
No loser points in 95

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.