HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Kreuger's injury solution

Old
02-06-2013, 10:56 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Kreuger's injury solution

Don't have a link and really hope there becomes an article, but Rishaug was talking yesterday about injuries and that Ralph has a plan by next year wants the team to be in the top 5 for fewest games lost.

Apparently all the players are being taught how to get their core strength up and to become more flexible. They are also dealing with physio therapists on an ongoing basis. Yesterday for instance they had 5 physio therapists working with the players.

The hope is to get the players on these programs now and continue in the off-season so that come next year everyone in camp will be more flexible and have better core strength.

Granted this probably doesn't help us out right now as most are injuries aren't really related to flexibility and core strength, it should however help guys get off to faster starts and avoid the strains and pulls that happen throughout a year.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Colour me skeptical. Sprained ankles, bad shoulders, knee injuries, chronic foot problems....etc..This is where the big man-games lost have come from. It isn't like the guys haven't been previously working hard on stretching and core strength.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
flex ability and core strength is severely underrated in todays sporting world. this is a great idea and the underlaying part here is that it is impossible to properly strengthen your core without being in great physical shape o it will make players come into camp in top shape (not that most dont already)

#resignpenner

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

If Chara elbows you in the head or you block a Weber slapshot off the foot, it doesn't really matter how flexible you are and how much you can bench.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:13 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
flex ability and core strength is severely underrated in todays sporting world. this is a great idea and the underlaying part here is that it is impossible to properly strengthen your core without being in great physical shape o it will make players come into camp in top shape (not that most dont already)

#resignpenner
Rishaug/Gregor brought up Peckham. First off Kreuger is a very communicative coach who talks to his players, but Peckham was the guy that initiated the talk yesterday and it was the first time the two have talked this year.

Second, yes Peckham came in slightly bigger(243 opposed to 240) then usual, but the team gave Peckham a program and when he comes in that big and has strains it obviously pissed Kreuger off.

I'm assuming Kreuger is thinking if Peckham would've listened he wouldn't have the issues that he's had to start the year.

Now one can only hope that Peckham who is willing to go to OKC and get into game shape plays with a chip on his shoulder and hopefully going forward players realize Kreuger is serious about this.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:15 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
If Chara elbows you in the head or you block a Weber slapshot off the foot, it doesn't really matter how flexible you are and how much you can bench.
Sure, but if you have better core strength maybe you aren't tripping and screwing your shoulder up.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

While i applaud the attention to detail and think that this mandate should be the expectation of every pro org I think it should be done by every org...

What is shocking in this is that it perhaps represents a change in philosophy and more diligence about what the players are doing in training and in the offseason. Which for years we've wondered if they do.

Good on Kreuger but a team with chronic injury problems and that are apparently *sustainable* you wonder whether they've dropped the ball on this issue for years.

Another part of this is just making sensible decisions out on the ice and not leaving heads on platters to be drilled into boards. There seems to be a lack of any kind of look out for yourself discipline with this club. WE got Yak blocking a shot with his face. Anybody telling him not to do that? Fistric injuring himself with a hipcheck attempt that was a second late.
Its OK to give it your all, but be careful out there.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:49 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Can't argue with more focus on conditioning and fitness and increasing overall awareness of strength and flexibility. I would have thought the team was already doing that with their stable of multi-million dollar athletes but I assume this is taking it to another level... can't see any problems with that.

Another perspective is simply that the Oilers have for years now been on the backfoot too often against their opponents... perenially near the bottom of the league in faceoffs, always among the teams with the most giveaways and obviously being a less physical team on average... taking hits from other teams who can roll over the team's overall relative softness.

Sure it's somewhat of a vague concept but if all those team weaknesses leads to being constantly outshot every year (which the Oilers have been for half a decade straight now)... it only stands to reason that the effect of that constant pressure put on the entire roster year after year will lead to more man games lost to injuries.

If you are being outshot by 7 shots per game (which they currently are and the story has been similar in past years)... that basically equates to being forced in your own zone 25% more than your opponents... 25% more running around to try and stop opposition attacks, more hustling to recover and position from lost faceoffs, significantly more time where players have to use their bodies to block shots to help out the goalie due to defensive lapses.

I think there is some correlation there to say all those factors increase the overall injury risks on the team.

Sometimes it just comes down to plain and simple bad luck but when we are talking 5+ years of sample size on being "snakebitten" in terms of man games lost... I think the way the teams is structured and the way they play has a lot to do with their "unluckiness" when it comes to the number of injuries that accrue.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Sure, but if you have better core strength maybe you aren't tripping and screwing your shoulder up.
Yep.

Plus that anything from bone density, to flexibility, to muscle and joint resilience is impacted by proper training and diet. When you do crash if you're built like Glenn Anderson nothing bad happens.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Baggers

Sounds better than having Penner learn to juggle to "improve his hand-eye coordination"

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
Sounds better than having Penner learn to juggle to "improve his hand-eye coordination"
As much as I think that was for the benefit of fans and Penner's sense of humor his offseason routine seemed to consist of lifting mai tais on the beach while styling with that nightmare he was briefly married to.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

As a coach, what the hell else is he supposed to do with such a tiny, non-hitting team? His hands are tied, you do what you can.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Exactly. It's obviously not going to make all injuries go away, but it will definitely help with strains, tears, etc

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

bubblewrap or these things..

Old
02-06-2013, 12:21 PM
molsonmuscle360

If I were the Oilers I would hire Mike Dolce as a team dietician

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'm glad Krueger at least seems to be aware of the number of injuries and wants to do something about it.

Core strength will lead to fewer strain injuries and better shooting.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
To be fair, didn't he do that the summer before his 60p season for us? Maybe Penner should take up juggling again.

On the topic, I think bodyweight training and flexibility training could be very beneficial. Gymnasts take some brutal tumbles and seem to be able to bounce back from falls that look pretty bad. We could use some of that.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
If I were the Oilers I would hire Mike Dolce as a team dietician
i dont think they are trying to cut 20lbs by game time, lol

i know what you eman though he is well known for helping fighters get to their ideal weight

Old
02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

plus if the boys are all at yoga they are picking up tons of chicks so they dont need to focus on teh nightlife as much. Ralph, smartest Kruger since freddy

Old
02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

here is the perfect line up for the oilers in two weeks time

Lw---C---RW---D----D----G
Head Crusher

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
plus if the boys are all at yoga they are picking up tons of chicks so they dont need to focus on teh nightlife as much. Ralph, smartest Kruger since freddy
j/k or not..

I think if I was young I'd be signing up for yoga for this reason alone. Plus all these places are located by trendy coffee shops and so you have an automatic what are you doing after yoga play while talking about fair global trade and the environment and lululemon seaweed shorts..

Plus these are usually fit, intelligent, motivated ladies.

Club pickups are typically such a morning after nightmare.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

This is awesome.

Yes, blocking a shot or getting elbowed to the face will not be affected by core strength, but general injuries can be avoided, to some extent, by being more solidly built.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
This is awesome.

Yes, blocking a shot or getting elbowed to the face will not be affected by core strength, but general injuries can be avoided, to some extent, by being more solidly built.
Maybe the flexibility will allow guys to move better when avoided checks and when an errant puck is coming at them?

Can't hurt

Old
02-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Harley

While I applaud the sentiments its still a game of contact. And in contact sports mass rules. When a 230 pound defenseman staples our 170 pound first line centre into the wall doing 27 miles an hour all the flexibility in the world isn't going to hide the fact that our guy is going to get rocked.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
i dont think they are trying to cut 20lbs by game time, lol

i know what you eman though he is well known for helping fighters get to their ideal weight
It's not just that, I use a lot of the aspects of the Dolce Diet personally and it's all about making sure your body is in peak performance mode all the time. It would really help the young guys actually, because when you actually hire him and not just buy his book, he'll come and move in with players and actually teach them all the little things they need to do to avoid eating stupid food, and how to keep extra crap out of their food by using proper pots and pans and get rid of the plastic ladels etc.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote