HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 2: It's not how big you are...

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Agreed. If he's willing to take a salary cut to something like 2 years @2 million, I'm ok with keeping him. He's not a top 4 dman, and as long as he's paid accordingly, why wouldn't we keep him?
Whoa... wait a minute... the guy is pressbox fodder at this point and the Oil should be re-signing him for 2 years? Let's at least give him another 20 games here to see if he has ANY semblance to an NHL dman remaining. What I've seen so far hasn't been compelling.

I think I'd rather take a shot with someone like Brett Clark down in OKC at this point until Klefbom/Musil/Marincin/Fedun can hold down a bottom pairing spot.

Whitney could very well be DONE at this point because of mobility issues so giving him a long look here this season is prudent before committing to him for even another year, never mind 2.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
great idea. Eberle too, he is too clutch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
he only has three goals this year, no finish. Trade the scrub.
Moose to be fair, this is the "enlighten mind" that would trade Hall straight up for Lucic because he strong and good at punching.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Anyone think we should trade our 'game breaker' Taylor Hall yet? He has no finish.. That penalty shot put me over the edge. Horcoff could have done it better.
so, so tired of seeing your constant hall-hate.... you're on an island alone on this one man, but yet you never seen to get the hint

Old
02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Moose to be fair, this is the "enlighten mind" that would trade Hall straight up for Lucic because he strong and good at punching.
yeah, everybody should do themselves a favor when it comes to grouchy smurf... i know i have

Old
02-06-2013, 12:30 PM
McJadeddog

so now that RNH is (very likely) injured, i wonder if tambo will just sit on his hands and let another season drift away, or if he'll try and make a move... i honestly don't know what i would do in that scenario, as getting a replacement level player for RNH (say ROR) would very likely include trading a top-end guy from the roster.... trading gagner+ for ROR doesn't really help our center concerns for this year at all... very tough situation

Old
02-06-2013, 12:31 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
so now that RNH is (very likely) injured, i wonder if tambo will just sit on his hands and let another season drift away, or if he'll try and make a move... i honestly don't know what i would do in that scenario, as getting a replacement level player for RNH (say ROR) would very likely include trading a top-end guy from the roster.... trading gagner+ for ROR doesn't really help our center concerns for this year at all... very tough situation
I really don't know that there's much he can do. RNH isn't replaceable. First they need to see how long he's out. If he's day to day then there's no need to make a move, but if it's long term... I'm not sure who you look at though. Not many teams have a wealth of centers but a lack of wingers.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Here's the issue, if RNH is out long-term which is in the air, he isn't exactly replaceable.

So I hope no one says "Oh there's Tambo grabbing a 3rd line center to replace a 1st line center".

Gagner
Belanger
Steckel/connolly/arnott/langkow/whoever has been mentioned the past couple days
Lander

Think realistically that's what we can expect. Isn't exactly a whole bunch of cheap #2 centerman for sale. Really think we go with a Connolly, yes he's overpaid, but he's the only guy that you can expect to be a decent #2 and push Belanger down.

I'm also on the assumption Belanger is short-term.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I really don't know that there's much he can do. RNH isn't replaceable. First they need to see how long he's out. If he's day to day then there's no need to make a move, but if it's long term... I'm not sure who you look at though. Not many teams have a wealth of centers but a lack of wingers.
Given RNH has been banged up before the Nuck game, maybe it's really time to 5 center this team. Have a viable NHL option instead of having to rely on callups.

Even if everyone was back this Sunday, I think it's something a GM needs to be looking at.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

Quote:
I don't think you can let another season slip away. Not again.

I understand that replacing RNH can be tough, but another season down the tubes is just too painful. Especially for this franchise.

IF RNH is out for an appreciable amount of time, then I'd try grabbing a decent #2/3 C for depth. Calling up AHL jobbers and prospects who still need more time to develop isn't the answer. The key is also that we have depth on the wings. Any C who can do some real bread and butter stuff (win FO's, play the boards etc.) will have their offensive contribution made easier due to our wing players.

Injury or not, selling another top-10 and possibly top-5 pick depending on how long RNH(if he is out) and Horcoff are out is a tough sell to this fan base.

Instead of ROR, I'd try someone like Bozak. I know he's not a popular name, but I'd consider him depending on the price. 6'1 195lb RH C. 58% FO. Scored 47 points last season and on pace for less this season (0.5 PPG which puts him on a 41 point pace on a 82 game schedule). He's decent along the boards and can score around the crease. He also shouldn't cost alot to re-sign(but with GMs these days, who the **** knows). Played PK too and gritty.

I'd be hesitant to give up more than a 3rd + C prospect for him(no idea on value), but I'd be ok with adding him.

02-06-2013, 12:43 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Would you rather try to sign/trade for a stopgap center if RNH is hurt long-term, or just play it out with the roster as is and figure who you want your top-10 draft pick to be in June?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I don't think you can let another season slip away. Not again.

I understand that replacing RNH can be tough, but another season down the tubes is just too painful. Especially for this franchise.

IF RNH is out for an appreciable amount of time, then I'd try grabbing a decent #2/3 C for depth. Calling up AHL jobbers and prospects who still need more time to develop isn't the answer. The key is also that we have depth on the wings. Any C who can do some real bread and butter stuff (win FO's, play the boards etc.) will have their offensive contribution made easier due to our wing players.

Injury or not, selling another top-10 and possibly top-5 pick depending on how long RNH(if he is out) and Horcoff are out is a tough sell to this fan base.

Instead of ROR, I'd try someone like Bozak. I know he's not a popular name, but I'd consider him depending on the price. 6'1 195lb RH C. 58% FO. Scored 47 points last season and on pace for less this season (0.5 PPG which puts him on a 41 point pace on a 82 game schedule). He's decent along the boards and can score around the crease. He also shouldn't cost alot to re-sign(but with GMs these days, who the **** knows). Played PK too and gritty.

I'd be hesitant to give up more than a 3rd + C prospect for him, but I'd be ok with adding him.
Top 10 pick shouldn't have been that much of a stretch to start the year, let alone now that we are dropping like flies. With that being said ST needs to at very least try stop the bleeding once he figures out what he's dealing with.

Maybe it's time to deal a Petrell/Jones along with a 2nd for an upgrade.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Would you rather try to sign/trade for a stopgap center if RNH is hurt long-term, or just play it out with the roster as is and figure who you want your top-10 draft pick to be in June?
The problem with that is we're getting perilously close to not being able to afford all our top talent.

For now we are good, and we should have enough money to sign everyone and keep them all together.

Adding a top-10 pick to the mix, and we run the risk of having too much top end talent and having very little depth. I'm ok with having a 4th line/Bottom pairing full of jobbers and role players making the minimum, but when you that creeps to the top-4 or even 3rd line, it could be an issue.

While I realize that is thinking into the future a little too far, it is something we need to keep in mind.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
You need to do something IMO if he is long-term. How long is this team as individuals going to accept that their GM does nothing when there is clearly still a chance to make the playoffs?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
The problem with that is we're getting perilously close to not being able to afford all our top talent.

For now we are good, and we should have enough money to sign everyone and keep them all together.

Adding a top-10 pick to the mix, and we run the risk of having too much top end talent and having very little depth. I'm ok with having a 4th line/Bottom pairing full of jobbers and role players making the minimum, but when you that creeps to the top-4 or even 3rd line, it could be an issue.

While I realize that is thinking into the future a little too far, it is something we need to keep in mind.
Isn't PRV top 10? Odds are that top 10 is going to get time to develop and we'd be looking at 5+ years before he's ready for a big payday.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:50 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
he only has three goals this year, no finish. Trade the scrub.
yakupov has too many goals and not enough assists, selfish russian bum trade him

Old
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

I don't know if there's such a thing as a "stop gap #1C". If there is, they probably cost a lot to get, and you don't find them until the deadline when it could very well be too late anyway. Maybe Connolly from TO makes more sense now, or maybe you try to swing for a guy like O'Reilly who can play in your top 6 today and gives you a solid#2/elite #3 for next year (meaning you simply push the Horcoff compliance buyout up to this coming offseason rather than the following).

But regardless of RNH's situation, a depth center with only this season remaining on his deal is almost a must.

02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Harley

Why not give Paajarvi a shot at centre? Kid has great wheels for the position. He is already pretty advanced on his defensive game, picking up the position duties wouldn't be that big a stretch for him. His board work isn't his strong suit anyway so getting him off the wall isn't that big a loss.

No offence to Arcobello (sp? I have no idea lol) but I'd rather try to convert an asset that has a pretty good pedigree and some amazing skills to a position of need than to bring up a borderline talent and plug him in for a few games.

I don't get the no you never trade a Hall or whoever crowd? It doesn't happen often but you should never say no without thinking it over. What if St Louis offered Pietrangelo for Hall? Do you just hang up and say thats stupid, we don't trade our stars? Of course you want to make a great deal if you move one of them. Saying you never move one is not doing your job. Your commitment is to the Edmonton Oilers, not any one player.

And I don't think the Hall for Lucic deal is all that crazy. I doubt I'd do it either but a Lucic type player is exactly what this team needs and is almost impossible to get. He may be the most unique talent in the league right now. A true heavyweight that plays top 6 minutes and contributes. In the playoffs he becomes even more valuable. I love Hall's drive but he has a long way to go before he brings the same impact of a player like Lucic.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:55 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
yakupov has too many goals and not enough assists, selfish russian bum trade him
Gagner has too many points, He was drafted... what, 6th overall or whatever? He should make way for the stars of the show!

Old
02-06-2013, 01:00 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If we're going to go for it, then go for ROR.

And another top draft pick - if we won't be able to afford everyone then you make some tough decisions.

Like offloading Dubey's contract

Old
02-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

I have never heard anyone suggest there's such a thing as too much top end talent before.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:03 PM
jsho

Quote:
If we're going to go for it, then go for ROR.

And another top draft pick - if we won't be able to afford everyone then you make some tough decisions.

Like offloading Dubey's contract
Offloading Dubnyks 3.5 mill cap hit? So that next year we are left with nothing that resembles a starter or backup?

Sad to say but Dubnyks been our best player most nights this season.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Quokka

What about a trade like Hemsky, Whitney for Bozak, Liles. We take on struggling overpaid d-man in order to get a C that can slot in at 2-3C. Think either team would consider this?

Old
02-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
What about a trade like Hemsky, Whitney for Bozak, Liles. We take on struggling overpaid d-man in order to get a C that can slot in at 2-3C. Think either team would consider this?
Leafs would in a heartbeat. Oilers not so much.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:08 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Hemsky for Bozak doesn't work for me at all. Liles is a definite upgrade on Whitney, but his contract isn't worth it. I don't want to spend almost $4M on a defenseman who'll be on your 3rd pair until he's 35.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Hemsky for Bozak doesn't work for me at all. Liles is a definite upgrade on Whitney, but his contract isn't worth it. I don't want to spend almost $4M on a defenseman who'll be on your 3rd pair until he's 35.
Better off asking after Connolly. He's probably available for spare change.

Closed Thread