HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

May 6 2007 (Official "Fire Ruff" thread)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
  #76
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 11,021
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
At practice today they're working on losing faceoffs and the coverages afterwards.

That's odd...
Hahaha holy ****

This team

drinking bleach irl is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:49 AM
  #77
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Hahaha holy ****

This team
I get it, they suck at them and should know how to react afterwards...but wouldn't "they're taking faceoffs until they can't lift their arms anymore" be better at this point?

sba is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:54 AM
  #78
sabrezombie
Registered User
 
sabrezombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sloan
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
My biggest worry is that we can Ruff and the next guy gets worse or more of the same results-wise. I don't want the Sabres to end up like the Bills and be a revolving door of coaches. That seems like it would be even worse for developing prospects, every year (or multiple time a year) you have a new guy trying to tell you how to do things differently. I guess we address that if/when the time comes and not worry about what ifs. We really have nothing to lose at this point.

Wow I can't believe I just said that publicly. I'm the guy that wears a Ruff jersey. Sigh.

sabrezombie is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
  #79
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I get it, they suck at them and should know how to react afterwards...but wouldn't "they're taking faceoffs until they can't lift their arms anymore" be better at this point?
This is what I thought. Why practice coverage after losing, when you should be tackling the real issue at hand, the actual faceoff?

TakeThatTootoo is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:00 PM
  #80
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Hahaha holy ****

This team
Just Lindy being reactive instead of proactive.

Fire Lindy is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:01 PM
  #81
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrezombie View Post
My biggest worry is that we can Ruff and the next guy gets worse or more of the same results-wise. I don't want the Sabres to end up like the Bills and be a revolving door of coaches. That seems like it would be even worse for developing prospects, every year (or multiple time a year) you have a new guy trying to tell you how to do things differently. I guess we address that if/when the time comes and not worry about what ifs. We really have nothing to lose at this point.

Wow I can't believe I just said that publicly. I'm the guy that wears a Ruff jersey. Sigh.
The Sabres have been the exact polar opposite of the Bills. The Sabres won't be a revolving door until they've changed coaches every 2 years for 10 years. And even then they won't approach the Bills "revolving door".

TakeThatTootoo is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
  #82
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,357
vCash: 500
Fire Ruff but keep Regier?

Isn't that like hanging Himmler but allowing Hitler to remain president of West Germany?

slip is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
  #83
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
http://wgr550.com/pages/14291590.php poll up on WGR

37% want Ruff fired
50% want Ruff and Regier fired
2% want Regier fired
11% no - not yet

Fire Lindy is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
  #84
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
This is what I thought. Why practice coverage after losing, when you should be tackling the real issue at hand, the actual faceoff?
even the best team is going to lose 45% of the time... come on.

Jame is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
  #85
Jagemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Finland
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Fire Ruff but keep Regier?

Isn't that like hanging Himmler but allowing Hitler to remain president of West Germany?
Uhm.. no? Regier has done a good job managing the assets, you can't deny that. He isn't the coach.

Jagemon is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
  #86
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagemon View Post
Uhm.. no? Regier has done a good job managing the assets, you can't deny that. He isn't the coach.
Regier sucks at managing assets. He's always in the top in spending/salary but the results are mediocre.

Oh, and another thing, you don't tackle a dearth of pivots on the roster by trading away the few centers you have an not replacing them. There's a word for that -- it's called ****ing retarded.

slip is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
  #87
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
Just Lindy being reactive instead of proactive.
Exactly.

sba is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
  #88
MGIII
Legendary
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
This is what I thought. Why practice coverage after losing, when you should be tackling the real issue at hand, the actual faceoff?
While it's easy to laugh at this move, the Sabres won't get better at faceoffs over night, so it behooves them to recognize their weakness and cover it the best they can in the interim. I'm reasonably sure they aren't ignoring the core issue, and are drilling faceoffs much harder than anything else.

At least, I hope that is the case.

MGIII is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
  #89
Jagemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Finland
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Oh, and another thing, you don't tackle a dearth of pivots on the roster by trading away the few centers you have an not replacing them. There's a word for that -- it's called ****ing retarded.
So now you are mad we traded Gaustad and Roy?

Jagemon is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:02 PM
  #90
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagemon View Post
So now you are mad we traded Gaustad and Roy?
I did say "...and not replacing them"

slip is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:03 PM
  #91
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
Ruff knows what's going on. He's no dummy. He is the one who called for the practice on the day off (today). He's making sure to dot his i's and cross his t's, for when that time comes it wasn't because "I" gave them the day off.

TakeThatTootoo is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:04 PM
  #92
boots electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
Ruff is a better coach than he's let on the last several years...but the guy just looks run down and complacent. And I can't necessarily blame him. Watching Buffalo sports for 15 years is difficult enough, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to coach in the same environment. Either way, his time here ran out a few years ago, and it's time for a change.

It wouldn't even be a messy separation at this point. People from Buffalo would still love the guy and cheer him like crazy when he inevitably rolls into town coaching a different team. The standing ovation he'd get would be insane.

It's just the right thing to do. Let him go.

Random aside: where do people think everything went wrong for him? Was it the two colossal let-downs in 05/06 and 06/07? Shattered confidence maybe?

boots electric is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:05 PM
  #93
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagemon View Post
So now you are mad we traded Gaustad and Roy?
You skipped the "without replacing them" part.

Myllz is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
  #94
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Ruff is a better coach than he's let on the last several years...but the guy just looks run down and complacent. And I can't necessarily blame him. Watching Buffalo sports for 15 years is difficult enough, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to coach in the same environment. Either way, his time here ran out a few years ago, and it's time for a change.

It wouldn't even be a messy separation at this point. People from Buffalo would still love the guy and cheer him like crazy when he inevitably rolls into town coaching a different team. The standing ovation he'd get would be insane.

It's just the right thing to do. Let him go.

Random aside: where do people think everything went wrong for him? Was it the two colossal let-downs in 05/06 and 06/07? Shattered confidence maybe?
I sure as hell wouldn't.

Myllz is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:08 PM
  #95
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 3,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Ruff is a better coach than he's let on the last several years...but the guy just looks run down and complacent. And I can't necessarily blame him. Watching Buffalo sports for 15 years is difficult enough, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to coach in the same environment. Either way, his time here ran out a few years ago, and it's time for a change.

It wouldn't even be a messy separation at this point. People from Buffalo would still love the guy and cheer him like crazy when he inevitably rolls into town coaching a different team. The standing ovation he'd get would be insane.

It's just the right thing to do. Let him go.

Random aside: where do people think everything went wrong for him? Was it the two colossal let-downs in 05/06 and 06/07? Shattered confidence maybe?
I bet it was when the report came out that Brad Boyes was mad because Lindy didn't ask him how his days were going.

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:40 PM
  #96
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Ruff is a better coach than he's let on the last several years...but the guy just looks run down and complacent. And I can't necessarily blame him. Watching Buffalo sports for 15 years is difficult enough, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to coach in the same environment. Either way, his time here ran out a few years ago, and it's time for a change.

It wouldn't even be a messy separation at this point. People from Buffalo would still love the guy and cheer him like crazy when he inevitably rolls into town coaching a different team. The standing ovation he'd get would be insane.

It's just the right thing to do. Let him go.

Random aside: where do people think everything went wrong for him? Was it the two colossal let-downs in 05/06 and 06/07? Shattered confidence maybe?
i love these statements can be backed up by anything other than "feeling"

Jame is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:40 PM
  #97
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,383
vCash: 500
*can't

Jame is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:42 PM
  #98
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I sure as hell wouldn't.
Me neither. Does that make me weird??

Stop Winnin is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 02:19 PM
  #99
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I don't disagree with replacing Ruff. But what a completely disingenuous way to frame this.

The level of talent on the teams coming out of the lockout was far more than any team we've iced since. We lost our two best players and co-captains July 1st that same year and never went out to get replacements (ownership again). That was after losing key depth guys the summer before. That had a much bigger impact on the next few seasons and our lack of playoff success. You can't lose that much talent/depth, not replace it and then expect to have continued success.
.
This.

You can rage on Ruff all you want (at this point, it might be time to move on, yes, for both sides), but the truth is, ever since Drury and Briere left, the teams he got were simply lacking and were -at best - middle of the pack.

The only real abberation was Miller's monster season when they won the Division.

Corto is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
  #100
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,223
vCash: 300
I really think both should be gone (regier and ruff)

JPurp26 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.