HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Grafs... brutal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 10:19 AM
  #1
College Cage Hang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Grafs... brutal

I'm around 270, big guy not fat just big guy.

I wore Easton Synergys for years, loved em, but I wore thru them quick.

Got a pair of Graf Supra 709's last year, wore them all year, I play a ton 3-4 times a week. The Graf's never broke in for me, had them heated twice, got the yellow super feet inserts, take good care of them.

The Grafs are killing me, I tried playing with them real tight, foot pain, real loose, back pain. Never had this with the Eastons.

I need advice, what else can I do I dropped $500 bucks on these skates when I got them and not even 18 months in I dread putting them on.

Should I get them heated again and try one more time (this would be the 3rd baking).

I'm not a new players, but this is ruining me

College Cage Hang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:30 AM
  #2
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyds View Post
I'm around 270, big guy not fat just big guy.

I wore Easton Synergys for years, loved em, but I wore thru them quick.

Got a pair of Graf Supra 709's last year, wore them all year, I play a ton 3-4 times a week. The Graf's never broke in for me, had them heated twice, got the yellow super feet inserts, take good care of them.

The Grafs are killing me, I tried playing with them real tight, foot pain, real loose, back pain. Never had this with the Eastons.

I need advice, what else can I do I dropped $500 bucks on these skates when I got them and not even 18 months in I dread putting them on.

Should I get them heated again and try one more time (this would be the 3rd baking).

I'm not a new players, but this is ruining me
You've tried them with the stock foot beds yea? How did they feel when you first put them on? It could be that they just aren't for your foot shape. They are a very voluminous skate compared to your old Eastons.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
  #3
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,782
vCash: 500
Sounds like you got the wrong skates for your foot.

Check out AIR's skate buying/fitting guide, I'm sure he'll chime in here too.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
  #4
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 50
also get a skate sharpening person that knows proper profile fits, sometimes a bad profile can cause you to be off balance most of the time in them,

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
  #5
College Cage Hang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
also get a skate sharpening person that knows proper profile fits, sometimes a bad profile can cause you to be off balance most of the time in them,
I've had them sharpened 6 ways to sunday, profiled etc

I don't really like the pitch

College Cage Hang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:30 AM
  #6
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
I think my biggest issue with Graf is they just really haven't stayed up to date with the technology advancement of other skates. They have remained largely unchanged for several years while every other company is making big changes to their skates. I tried Grafs and just couldn't do it, I don't really get how they are even still around honestly. My only input is perhaps sell them on ebay or craigslist and put that money into some skates that fit you better.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:36 AM
  #7
College Cage Hang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
I saw a pair of CCM U+08's online for 200 bucks, the guy says they were worn 5 or 6 times, anyone wearing these that can give me a review?

College Cage Hang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
  #8
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyds View Post
I've had them sharpened 6 ways to sunday, profiled etc

I don't really like the pitch
Have them profiled for a neutral stance. Night and day for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
I think my biggest issue with Graf is they just really haven't stayed up to date with the technology advancement of other skates. They have remained largely unchanged for several years while every other company is making big changes to their skates.
Might have been true three years ago, they've had a lot of advancement since then. And nobody comes close to their selection of foot shape accommodations.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
  #9
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyds View Post
I saw a pair of CCM U+08's online for 200 bucks, the guy says they were worn 5 or 6 times, anyone wearing these that can give me a review?
Pretty sure you can get a pair of U+12 for $250 with a good sale. Not really a good bargain at all. The U+12 is highly rated as being a great skate.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
  #10
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Might have been true three years ago, they've had a lot of advancement since then. And nobody comes close to their selection of foot shape accommodations.

Not sure of your opinion, but there were skaters on 80s and 90s skate "technology" that ripped the ice up and skated circles around people. I don't see how "technology" makes a skater better.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
  #11
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,921
vCash: 500
You probably won't like Grafs if you don't have narrow feet

I love my Grafs. By far the best skates I've ever used.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
  #12
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
You probably won't like Grafs if you don't have narrow feet

I love my Grafs. By far the best skates I've ever used.
I find GRAF has many skates that accommodate wide feet. I'd imagine the only complaint for most would be the smaller toe box.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
  #13
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
I think my biggest issue with Graf is they just really haven't stayed up to date with the technology advancement of other skates. They have remained largely unchanged for several years while every other company is making big changes to their skates. I tried Grafs and just couldn't do it, I don't really get how they are even still around honestly.
Because they make excellent skates. Just because its new technology doesnt mean its better. There are a lot of people that do not want molded and super stiff boots. Easton has returned to a more traditional design with their RS from the molded composite boot. Even Bauer has resurrected something closer to traditional design with the Nexus line, realizing not everyone wants a ski boot on their feet.

That said, Graf has incorporated lots of "new technology" in their skates even if it doesnt look it and they were working with the curve material that is used in Supreme skates before Bauer was using it, it just took them longer to bring them to market because they didnt want to make it a one-piece mold like the Bauer and wanted to use it in a more traditional construction.

All that means nothing to the OP though. Sounds as if you simply just got skates that did not fit you properly. That isnt Graf's fault.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
  #14
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
Not sure of your opinion, but there were skaters on 80s and 90s skate "technology" that ripped the ice up and skated circles around people. I don't see how "technology" makes a skater better.
It doesn't, just pointing out that Graf in 2013 is not Graf in 2010.

I wear G35's FWIW. 2010 model. Love the fit, they have been great. I'd complain about the weight, but not until I lose about 30 pounds first.

Graf Ultra G9035

- completely heat moldable, including the tongue
- lightweight composite construction
- different stiffness throughout the boot
- multiple boot flex options for juniors and seniors


Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
  #15
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It doesn't, just pointing out that Graf in 2013 is not Graf in 2010.

I wear G35's FWIW. 2010 model. Love the fit, they have been great. I'd complain about the weight, but not until I lose about 30 pounds first.

Graf Ultra G9035

- completely heat moldable, including the tongue
- lightweight composite construction
- different stiffness throughout the boot
- multiple boot flex options for juniors and seniors

Does it fly too? Haha.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:49 PM
  #16
fryer98
Registered User
 
fryer98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
I just bought my 3rd pair of Grafs. Love them, obv.

I wish someone would keep making skates that are just all black, instead of the dumb designs all over them.



I'm getting old.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
  #17
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,782
vCash: 500
Yeah those skates would look 10x better if they were all black like the old ones. Oh well, my Grafs ought to last me another five years.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:07 PM
  #18
rinkrat22
Registered User
 
rinkrat22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
I liked my graf 703's (from about '05) that when they went on closeout I bought another pair that are sitting in the box in my basement. I skate 3+ times a week and my skates are still in decent shape. they dont look pretty anymore and they smell bad but they are still holding up well. I did however have the bauer lsII tuuk put on them.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:56 PM
  #19
College Cage Hang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Little update, I went to 5 stores looking at both new and used skates to wear for the rest of the year. I tried on many and thought I had narrowed it down to the Bauer Vapor 6.0 when I went to the last store who had the best selection.

They had Easton EQ40's on sale for $250.00. I had worn Synergy 1200's previously before the Grafs, in fact I wore the synergys to the point where my last 4 months they had duct tape holding them together, they got a ton of use.

I ended up going with the EQ40's, I'm comfortable with the Easton brand, I know they feel good, and the guy at the store was wearing the 50's and gave them a great recommendation. With the 40's on sale for close to 200 less then the 50's I took a chance and went with the 40's. Baked them, on the ice tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

College Cage Hang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:28 AM
  #20
eNTe17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
What width was the vapors snyds?

Found my perfect fit in a pair of one 100s EE, might be worth looking into if you want a good anatomical fit and your foot is wider than usual.

edit; EQ40 seems to me like a good choice as well, got a friend skating around in them and couldn`t be happier.

eNTe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:51 AM
  #21
Beville
#ForTheBoys
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Engerlanddd!
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyds View Post
Little update, I went to 5 stores looking at both new and used skates to wear for the rest of the year. I tried on many and thought I had narrowed it down to the Bauer Vapor 6.0 when I went to the last store who had the best selection.

They had Easton EQ40's on sale for $250.00. I had worn Synergy 1200's previously before the Grafs, in fact I wore the synergys to the point where my last 4 months they had duct tape holding them together, they got a ton of use.

I ended up going with the EQ40's, I'm comfortable with the Easton brand, I know they feel good, and the guy at the store was wearing the 50's and gave them a great recommendation. With the 40's on sale for close to 200 less then the 50's I took a chance and went with the 40's. Baked them, on the ice tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.
In December, literally everywhere had EQ50's for less than $300 haha...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:32 PM
  #22
QuieTSToRM33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyds View Post
I'm around 270, big guy not fat just big guy.

I wore Easton Synergys for years, loved em, but I wore thru them quick.

Got a pair of Graf Supra 709's last year, wore them all year, I play a ton 3-4 times a week. The Graf's never broke in for me, had them heated twice, got the yellow super feet inserts, take good care of them.

The Grafs are killing me, I tried playing with them real tight, foot pain, real loose, back pain. Never had this with the Eastons.

I need advice, what else can I do I dropped $500 bucks on these skates when I got them and not even 18 months in I dread putting them on.

Should I get them heated again and try one more time (this would be the 3rd baking).

I'm not a new players, but this is ruining me
What size are they ? Did you get them fitted ?

QuieTSToRM33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:08 PM
  #23
College Cage Hang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
The Grafs are 9.5 they got heated, can be heated again. Tons of blade left.

College Cage Hang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:28 PM
  #24
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyds View Post
The Grafs are 9.5 they got heated, can be heated again. Tons of blade left.
He asked if they were fitted, meaning a knowledgeable pro shop employee examined your foot type to determine the best brand, model, and size of skates for you. Heating just speeds up the break in period. If you've played on them 3-4 times a week for 18 months, then them being broken in is not the issue. In fact, for your average Easton or Bauer composite skate , you likely would have had to be on your next pair, especially at your size. But back to your Grafs, you don't specify where you are getting pain or what foot type you have.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:51 PM
  #25
clayman
Registered User
 
clayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
I find GRAF has many skates that accommodate wide feet. I'd imagine the only complaint for most would be the smaller toe box.
The small toe box is my only complaint with my Graf's..

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.