HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Boston @ Montreal 7:30PM ET TSN/RDS/NBCSN

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBruin91 View Post
Oh when you practically had a monopoly of any young players coming out of the entire province on Quebec and there were 6 teams?

Good times.
Name the players we got.

Old
Bob Cole

vCash: 500
Hopefully this D line up is only a temporary thing. PK is much more effective when playing with Gorges.

Old
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

Love the pleks image

Great Work

Old
02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Remington

Quote:
I may be misinformed on that subject.

Either way, more divisional titles since we won that big silver thing than the Habs have had since '93? Does that pass your tests?

edit: I am so glad we can do this stuff again instead of ***** about the lockout. Here's too a rivalry rekindled.
I think when you are discussing the history of a team and their success, it makes little sense to pick an arbitrary time period and say "only things since this time count". I think when the discussion is history, you have to look at the entire picture. No one comes close to the success of the Canadiens.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Either way, more divisional titles since we won that big silver thing than the Habs have had since '93? Does that pass your tests?

edit: I am so glad we can do this stuff again instead of ***** about the lockout. Here's too a rivalry rekindled.
Cheers cheers likewise. Chara and Lucic in my eyes belong in Boston, they got that face only a mother or a Bruins fan could love.

Bu

Old
02-06-2013, 02:00 PM
NordicBruin91
Bleed Black & Gold

Send a message via AIM to NordicBruin91
The source I found, and it isn't the most reputable:

"Question: Did the Montreal Canadiens ever have exclusive rights to players from Quebec?
Answer: Prior to the 1960s, there was no NHL amateur draft. The recruitment of prospects was simply a matter of first come, first served. The Montreal Canadiens ensured they were first served by establishing perhaps the greatest farm system in sports history, with junior and senior teams on the prairies, minor pro teams in the U.S. and entire leagues in Quebec. The Leafs operated a similar network in Ontario and beyond. All players signed to those teams remained the exclusive propoerty of the NHL "sponsor" team until they were released or traded.
Prior to 1967, the Leafs and Canadiens held a further advantage. According to A Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Hockey, by Gerry Eskenazi, published in 1973, each NHL franchise had exclusive rights to players within its 50-mile territorial limits. So the Leafs and Canadiens could browse the neighbourhood rinks near Toronto and Montreal at their leisure, while the Rangers had a lock on the next great goalie from Hoboken.

Most of these advantages disappeared in 1963 with the introduction of the amateur draft. But the Leafs and Canadiens continued to benefit from players developed under the old system well into the 1970s."

Old
02-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
gallagher :«pour ce qui est de lucic, je le connais très bien, car nous nous entraînons ensemble pendant la saison estivale. Je sais qu’il pourrait venir me voir pendant le match, mais ça ne me dérange pas.»
traitor!

Old
02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

I give you credit for at least owning up to it instead of disappearing

Old
02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
GEORGE LIKES HIS CHICKEN SPICY!

I hope that tattoo in his avatar isn't really his

Was the Chara hit a "strong hockey play"? Was the Rome suspension dubious and biased? Was the Raymond hit suspension worthy? Was Ference's gesture to the crowd an equipment-malfunction?

Ask the fans on HFboards what they think... hell, some of them think that the McLaren hit on Zednick was a dive. You probably weren't here during the Chara hit on Pacioretty, it was chaos and lies and cognitive dissonance.... and then THEY WON THE STANLEY CUP
Again, what does that have to do with anything? They defend their team with passion. Same as we do when Subban hit Krejci, or Kunitz or when Patches hit Letang or when he went to the movies after his concussion.

We dont agree on much but thats what this site is for, friendly debate and to kill time until the next game.

I swear some of you take this stuff way too seriously.....

Old
02-06-2013, 02:02 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
I think when you are discussing the history of a team and their success, it makes little sense to pick an arbitrary time period and say "only things since this time count". I think when the discussion is history, you have to look at the entire picture. No one comes close to the success of the Canadiens.
Nordiques fans like to make fun of Habs not winning the Cup since 1993.

But when you ask them if their team has a Stanley Cup banner, they become Bruins fans.

How convenient.

Old
almostjesus*

I think we're forgetting who the real enemies are.

The Western Conference.

The Canucks used 'Ole' during their riot. They're phony's!

Old
The Russian General
Força Portugal

I had forgotten that it's not only their team that is full of Neanderthals, their fan base is too.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:03 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
traitor!
It doesn't mean they're friends. They just exchange soap in the shower.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:03 PM
NordicBruin91
Bleed Black & Gold

Quote:
I understand that. I respect the Habs franchise. I hate every one of the players and the team, but I respect them. It's not like Toronto, they're just an embarrassment. Personally I am just thrilled the B's have gotten the better of the Habs in the recent past. I love it when the Northeast goes the way it deserves to go, Boston and Montreal in a dogfight for the top spot.

Last edited by NordicBruin91: 02-06-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old
02-06-2013, 02:04 PM
NordicBruin91
Bleed Black & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I give you credit for at least owning up to it instead of disappearing
Hey, us knuckle dragging thug bruins fans aren't afraid of a little confrontation.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Remington

Quote:
The source I found, and it isn't the most reputable:

"Question: Did the Montreal Canadiens ever have exclusive rights to players from Quebec?
Answer: Prior to the 1960s, there was no NHL amateur draft. The recruitment of prospects was simply a matter of first come, first served. The Montreal Canadiens ensured they were first served by establishing perhaps the greatest farm system in sports history, with junior and senior teams on the prairies, minor pro teams in the U.S. and entire leagues in Quebec. The Leafs operated a similar network in Ontario and beyond. All players signed to those teams remained the exclusive propoerty of the NHL "sponsor" team until they were released or traded.
Prior to 1967, the Leafs and Canadiens held a further advantage. According to A Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Hockey, by Gerry Eskenazi, published in 1973, each NHL franchise had exclusive rights to players within its 50-mile territorial limits. So the Leafs and Canadiens could browse the neighbourhood rinks near Toronto and Montreal at their leisure, while the Rangers had a lock on the next great goalie from Hoboken.

Most of these advantages disappeared in 1963 with the introduction of the amateur draft. But the Leafs and Canadiens continued to benefit from players developed under the old system well into the 1970s."

Even if the Habs got a tangible advantage from this, which they didn't, they have won 9 cups since 1967. That's more than the Bruins have in their entire history.

Face it, the Habs history is indisputably more impressive.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:07 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Even if the Habs got a tangible advantage from this, which they didn't, they have won 9 cups since 1967. That's more than the Bruins have in their entire history.

Face it, the Habs history is indisputably more impressive.
I'm waiting for the excuse of why they had to trade Ken Dryden to us

Old
02-06-2013, 02:08 PM
NordicBruin91
Bleed Black & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I'm waiting for the excuse of why they had to trade Ken Dryden to us
Same excuse Toronto has for trading Tuukka Rask, Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton to us.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:16 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Old
02-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Name the players we got.
The Habs got Marc Tardif and Réjean Houle in the same draft before any other team was able to pick any player.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Habs got Marc Tardif and Réjean Houle in the same draft before any other team was able to pick any player.
And his ties to the team led to him becoming GM, and he destroyed the franchise. Yeah, that was a sweet deal.

Also, the Bruins had an exclusive access to the players in the Boston region. It isn't our fault if the region can't produce talent.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Remington

I was disturbed by the short length of the GDT but then I remembered the mega pre game thread from yesterday.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
And his ties to the team led to him becoming GM, and he destroyed the franchise. Yeah, that was a sweet deal.

Also, the Bruins had an exclusive access to the players in the Boston region. It isn't our fault if the region can't produce talent.
The Bruins signed Bobby Orr out of Parry Sound, Ontario when he was 12 (I think). If a team was able to find 'em, they signed 'em.

It amazes me how many fans actually believe this pile of crap about the Habs having access to all French players. I mean, even if you can't be bothered to look up the facts, how hard is it to remember that Rod Gilbert, Jean Ratelle, Gilbert Perreault, Bernie Parent, etc. played for other teams?

Old
02-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Same excuse Toronto has for trading Tuukka Rask, Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton to us.
Ken Dryden was in college and not ready for the NHL, so the Bruins didn't have a good line on his potential. The Leafs erred badly in the goaltender swap. They overrated Kessel while doubting they would finish so low in the standings as to have the second overall pick.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
That's about it. The year after, they decide to change the rule, and Gilbert Perreault was drafted by Buffalo. Too bad. Just imagine him with Lafleur !!!

Bobby Orr was a territorial choice by the Bruins. The kid has been playing in the Bruins org since his early teens.

Closed Thread