HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Tim Gleason vs Milan Lucic 28 Jan 2013

Old
01-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

vCash: 500
LOL at someone on YT calling Lucic a spot picker cuz of this fight. Didn't Gleason drop the gloves?

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Soderberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Orr vs Lucic seem like the only subject on this board. Bruins fan probably doesn't sleep because of him
Don't flatter yourself. Orr is barely relevant.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:40 AM
The Kid

Look, I've bled black and gold for 34 of my 34 years on this planet. The constant Orr talk is absurd in these Lucic vs ??? threads, and the notion that Lucic has to destroy everyone he drops with is childish. Has the guy not proven himself as an elite power forward in this league? Has he not fought just about everyone at any given time? He is going against people that are some of the best in the world at their craft, why does he have to decimate them to prove something? It isn't always about "winning" so much as it is being accountable or sparking your team, or setting a tone. It is like Lucic fans, of which I am a HUGE ONE, are secretly afraid to admit that the guy is not superhuman. He lost to Orr, kinda badly as well. If he wants to trade with him again, fine, but in the right spot and at the right time. Lucic is not an enforcer. He is too valuable to this team to be fighting all the time in this shortened season.

As for this fight, it comes back to Lucic not having to "win" everything. Gleason is a big dude, and handled Lucic just fine. Lucic held his own as well. He doesn't have to lay waste, and isn't going to lay waste, to everyone he fights. I'd rather have him score 30 goals than beat up Orr five times in a row.

The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

Man lucic does not like getting hit. No wonder he doesn't scrap the big boys

Phaneuffan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuffan3 View Post
He needs to hide behind a shield, like Phaneuff

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Number8

Quote:
Which, if you are nothing more than an enforcer, is a good sign that you will have a very very short career.

If, on the other hand, you are a power forward that every GM in the league would like on their team....... it's probably not such a bad trait to have.

Milan Lucic
429 NHL games.
107 goals.
144 assists.
251 points.
686 PIMS

Colton Orr
389 NHL games.
11 goals.
9 assists.
20 points.
966 PIMS

Who does the other guys job better? Think Milan Lucic does a better job of playing the occasional tough guy, or does Colton Orr do a better job of being the occasional game winner?

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

I'm not trying to start anything here brother, it was a simple observation. But don't walk around like a Bengal tiger when the house cats are out and then play hide and seek when it comes time to answer when the lions come out

Old
02-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Therick67

Quote:
I'm not trying to start anything here brother, it was a simple observation. But don't walk around like a Bengal tiger when the house cats are out and then play hide and seek when it comes time to answer when the lions come out
Simple question, when did that happen?

Old
02-06-2013, 11:21 AM
bud12

again the habs

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
again the habs
Even though his coach said he told him not to fight, I'll grant you that one. Got another?

Old
02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Number8

Quote:
I think that's an exaggeration -- with the possible exception of Laraque in Montreal when I'm virtually certain that Julien told Lucic absolutely not to fight.

Lucic has certainly tangled with enough of the tougher guys in the League to show he's not afraid to go (Witt, Boulton, Neil, Ivanans, Clarkson, Ersksine, Gleason, Sestito, Prust, Harrison, Rosehill, Orr, Brookbank, etc.).

At the same time, if you can spend 20 minutes a night scaring the piss out of the rest of the house cats, it sure gets you a lot of room on the ice doesn't it?

Old
02-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

Yea like I said I'm not here to cause trouble, and he does fight tough guys but they are usually at a physical disadvantage. Fighting guys that are 6'0 or 6'1 200-215 pounds. Just out of the list you provided the following would fall into that category: Clarkson, Prust, Neil, Gleason, Brookbank. Which I would place in the Thornton category of LHW. The only real top notch fighter you provided was Orr, and we know how those fights have ended.

So my point is that Lucic likes to think he is a Heavyweight however his fight card is littered with wins over mismatched opponents and non-fighters. He also declined to fight Wayne Simmonds after the hit from behind in Philly last year. (further avoiding answering the bell)

Old
02-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Number8

Quote:
Yea like I said I'm not here to cause trouble, and he does fight tough guys but they are usually at a physical disadvantage. Fighting guys that are 6'0 or 6'1 200-215 pounds. Just out of the list you provided the following would fall into that category: Clarkson, Prust, Neil, Gleason, Brookbank. Which I would place in the Thornton category of LHW. The only real top notch fighter you provided was Orr, and we know how those fights have ended.

So my point is that Lucic likes to think he is a Heavyweight however his fight card is littered with wins over mismatched opponents and non-fighters. He also declined to fight Wayne Simmonds after the hit from behind in Philly last year. (further avoiding answering the bell)
I know, and I'm not trying to argue either. I just get tired of the Milan Lucic is a bully that's afraid to fight the big guy arguments.

If you've watched any interviews off ice, Lucic is a pretty goofy and polite interview. He's not a hard-ass and doesn't claim to be anything more than what he is. He regularly states that when he's skating and hitting he can be effective, when he's not he's not effective at all.

I don't think Lucic thinks for a second that he is a Heavyweight. Most of his fights are of the Neely category (physical contact leads to confrontation leads to his temper snapping). Very rarely will you see him engage in the "face off agreement" type fight.

The true professional fighter you call out - Orr - is definitely a heavyweight and definitely has those kinds of fights all the time. Of course he skates about 5 minutes a game too.

To the people who criticize Lucic for backing off the fight with Orr, what do they want? Orr clearly smashed Lucic's prodigious nose. Are we to believe all the internet tough guys wouldn't have dropped like a rock at that point?

Orr beat Lucic -- big deal. Calling Lucic some kind of a pansy (which people do all the time) because of that is silly. As silly as me calling Orr a pansy for getting knocked out by Shelley, or Fedoruk a pansy for getting knocked out by Orr.

At the same time, anyone who claims that Lucic doesn't regularly back up his physical play aren't being truthful.

And for the argument that he beats up little guys???? Why can't they run away from those fights just like people claim Lucic does when he's not calling out Scott, or Orr, or the professional fighters?

Old
02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I know, and I'm not trying to argue either. I just get tired of the Milan Lucic is a bully that's afraid to fight the big guy arguments.

If you've watched any interviews off ice, Lucic is a pretty goofy and polite interview. He's not a hard-ass and doesn't claim to be anything more than what he is. He regularly states that when he's skating and hitting he can be effective, when he's not he's not effective at all.

I don't think Lucic thinks for a second that he is a Heavyweight. Most of his fights are of the Neely category (physical contact leads to confrontation leads to his temper snapping). Very rarely will you see him engage in the "face off agreement" type fight.

The true professional fighter you call out - Orr - is definitely a heavyweight and definitely has those kinds of fights all the time. Of course he skates about 5 minutes a game too.

To the people who criticize Lucic for backing off the fight with Orr, what do they want? Orr clearly smashed Lucic's prodigious nose. Are we to believe all the internet tough guys wouldn't have dropped like a rock at that point?

Orr beat Lucic -- big deal. Calling Lucic some kind of a pansy (which people do all the time) because of that is silly. As silly as me calling Orr a pansy for getting knocked out by Shelley, or Fedoruk a pansy for getting knocked out by Orr.

At the same time, anyone who claims that Lucic doesn't regularly back up his physical play aren't being truthful.

And for the argument that he beats up little guys???? Why can't they run away from those fights just like people claim Lucic does when he's not calling out Scott, or Orr, or the professional fighters?
Fair enough, I understand you don't want star calibre players sitting in the box for 5 minutes especially for the likes of a 5 minute player (orr type). I just see this Myth that Luc is this heavyweight that backs down from nothing, when in fact he chooses spots, just like Phaneuf. I don't have an issue with picking your spots especially for players like Luc & Neuf. I also appreciate the respectful back and forth between you and I.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:46 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Even though his coach said he told him not to fight, I'll grant you that one. Got another?
no, its the only one I've seen but I don't watch every bruins games

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Number8

Quote:
Fair enough, I understand you don't want star calibre players sitting in the box for 5 minutes especially for the likes of a 5 minute player (orr type). I just see this Myth that Luc is this heavyweight that backs down from nothing, when in fact he chooses spots, just like Phaneuf. I don't have an issue with picking your spots especially for players like Luc & Neuf. I also appreciate the respectful back and forth between you and I.
As do I, buddy.

One little side note that blew me away....... I was looking through Hockey Fights site trying to see just who of the so called Power Forwards scrap with some of the tough guys (Clowe, Lucic, Iginla, and Stewart = YES ----- Horton, Perry, Morrow, Hartnell, Getzlaf, and Backes a resounding NO).

Anyway, as I was looking through the truly tough fighters log, one name showed up often. Nick Boynton!

By rough count he fought with:

Eric Boulton
Steve Ott
Cam Janssen
Evgeny Artyukhin (not great fighter, but HUGE)
Derek Boogaard
BJ Crombeen
Jordin Tootoo
David Koci
Matt Barnaby
Kelly Buchberger
Peter Worrell

I always liked his nasty edge in Boston, but I truly didn't realize how mental he was. He fought some monsters!

Old
02-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
As do I, buddy.

One little side note that blew me away....... I was looking through Hockey Fights site trying to see just who of the so called Power Forwards scrap with some of the tough guys (Clowe, Lucic, Iginla, and Stewart = YES ----- Horton, Perry, Morrow, Hartnell, Getzlaf, and Backes a resounding NO).

Anyway, as I was looking through the truly tough fighters log, one name showed up often. Nick Boynton!

By rough count he fought with:

Eric Boulton
Steve Ott
Cam Janssen
Evgeny Artyukhin (not great fighter, but HUGE)
Derek Boogaard
BJ Crombeen
Jordin Tootoo
David Koci
Matt Barnaby
Kelly Buchberger
Peter Worrell

I always liked his nasty edge in Boston, but I truly didn't realize how mental he was. He fought some monsters!
That is a fairly impressive list. I think P4P Iginla is one of the toughest guys in the league, but not only that he fights at the right times, as the captain that can really bring the boys together

Edit: Back to Boynton, He scrapped the boogyman? wow gonna have to youtube that.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Therick67

Quote:

Nothing wrong with a civil conversation. Most of these threads turn into little kid stuff, so having a nice back and worth is ok.

Lucic alos fought guys like Jared Boll. Rosehill, guys most would consider pretty tough.

As for Simmonds, they didn't really have a chance to go at it and if IIRC Lucic got kicked our of that game. They played many times since then, and i haven't seen anyone from Philly come calling except Sestio in the game after that one and Lucic answered the bell.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a civil conversation. Most of these threads turn into little kid stuff, so having a nice back and worth is ok.

Lucic alos fought guys like Jared Boll. Rosehill, guys most would consider pretty tough.

As for Simmonds, they didn't really have a chance to go at it and if IIRC Lucic got kicked our of that game. They played many times since then, and i haven't seen anyone from Philly come calling except Sestio in the game after that one and Lucic answered the bell.
I respect lucic for what he is. A tough power forward. I just am bothered by some of these posters who build him up to be the hw champ if you will.

As for the Simmons incident all I am saying if he was what some have built him up to be, he would have made it a point to oblige them and drop the gloves. It's not all that hard to back out of that little scrum and square up.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Therick67

Quote:
I respect lucic for what he is. A tough power forward. I just am bothered by some of these posters who build him up to be the hw champ if you will.

As for the Simmons incident all I am saying if he was what some have built him up to be, he would have made it a point to oblige them and drop the gloves. It's not all that hard to back out of that little scrum and square up.
Simmonds dropped his gloves, Lucic dropped his and other players came flying in.. Lucic got a 5 and a game misconduct. The very next meeting, on the very first shift Lucic went at it with Sestito. I don't see how Lucic didn't oblige. It feels like you're reaching on this.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnUjVHSZI_g

If you watch the link above, I think that there is a couple of different times lucic could have stepped out of the scrum but chose to hide between mcquaid, chara & the linesman.

Just my opinion

Old
02-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Therick67

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnUjVHSZI_g

If you watch the link above, I think that there is a couple of different times lucic could have stepped out of the scrum but chose to hide between mcquaid, chara & the linesman.

Just my opinion
Wouldn't Simmonds be the guy who should be trying to get at Lucic? Lucic is the one who threw the hit. And as I mentioned, first game after that, first shift he dropped the gloves with Sestito. I don't think for 1 second he's afraid to fight Simmonds, or he was 'hididng'.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

Quote:
Wouldn't Simmonds be the guy who should be trying to get at Lucic? Lucic is the one who threw the hit. And as I mentioned, first game after that, first shift he dropped the gloves with Sestito. I don't think for 1 second he's afraid to fight Simmonds, or he was 'hididng'.
Well your entitled to your opinion, as am I.

A bit off topic what did you think of the Crombeen/Rinaldo & Lecav/Talbot stuff the other night?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Well your entitled to your opinion, as am I.

A bit off topic what did you think of the Crombeen/Rinaldo & Lecav/Talbot stuff the other night?
Sure, no worries.

I don't like to see the punching when guys are down. I know in the heat of the moment people do things, but I'd hate to see someone get seriously injured.

Some guys subscibe to the code and other don't.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Phaneuffan3
Beleafer

Quote:
Sure, no worries.

I don't like to see the punching when guys are down. I know in the heat of the moment people do things, but I'd hate to see someone get seriously injured.

Some guys subscibe to the code and other don't.
Yea I know what you mean. On one hand I was disappointed to see punches to grounded opponents, however having played hockey, a part of me applauded Vinny just for the fact that if you see an opponent do that to a teammate you want retribution, however I think he could have done it in a more respectful fashion