HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Old
02-06-2013, 03:47 AM
CanadianPirate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Perfect

Someone has to photo shop Raymond's face onto bambi's.

CanadianPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:00 AM
solitary

A few points I want to make based on what I've read in this thread so far.

Cody Hodgson in his first 7 games had one point and was on a team that was easily the best offensive team in the league at the time. Jordan Schroeder is playing on a team that is suffering from injuries, and let's be honest... this team isn't quite the same offensively. Therefore Cody was playing sheltered minutes where as Jordan is not.

Another thing, this whole idea of Cody Hodgson being an offensive catalyst is outlandish and it just reminds me as to how uneducated some hockey fans really are. No one can deny Cody's offensive output but to say he is a driving force... lets get real.

Comparing David Desharnais to Schroeder is foolish as well, no two players ever have the same trajectory in terms of career paths.

Final point I'm going to make.. offense is not everything. Lets take a page out of the history books, Steve Yzerman is an offensive juggernaut in the NHL, he wins nothing. He changes his game style to make himself more defensively stable... Cups follow. Again no two players, no two teams, no two organizations are on the same trajectory but there are some parallels that are constant and defensive play is one of them.

For the moment Schroeder is playing well and I hope to see him continue. Hopefully he can pot his first goal Thursday vs the Wild.

solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Canadian Gold X3
Linden Era!

Schroeder is also very smart, his GPA in university was a 3.0, while playing hockey.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 View Post
Schroeder is also very smart, his GPA in university was a 3.0, while playing hockey.
I believe it was higher. He had some sort of scholarship or award that you could only get if you maintained a GPA above 3.50. Could only find his high-school GPA (3.85) and info about him graduating early though. Then again, maybe I'm remembering that first part wrong.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Canadian Gold X3
Linden Era!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I believe it was higher. He had some sort of scholarship or award that you could only get if you maintained a GPA above 3.50. Could only find his high-school GPA (3.85) and info about him graduating early though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_...#Personal_life
It was 3.0 in University, he was selected for the WHCA all academic team for it.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
It was 3.0 in University, he was selected for the WHCA all academic team for it.
Haha that Wiki article on Schroeder begins with a big mistake in the first sentence, even though it covers the current season. He's a right winger, eh???

The centerman on the Canucks by that name has always been known as a smart guy, not just in terms of hockey smarts, and to me it shows in his interviews. Not quite up to Cory Schneider's eloquence, but better than most. Gillis admires intelligence in his players, and Schroeder's smarts may have helped him to figure out how to change his game from cherry-picker to mini badger and worm his way into AV's heart.

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Hodgy

3.0 GPA isn't that great in Canada. But I think the US uses a different standard?

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
3.0 GPA isn't that great in Canada. But I think the US uses a different standard?
A 3.0 GPA is more impressive in Canada than the USA.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Just means he was at or above 3.0, not necessarily 3.0 exactly.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
Depends if it's a 4.33 scale or a 4.0 scale

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
A 3.0 GPA is more impressive in Canada than the USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Depends if it's a 4.33 scale or a 4.0 scale
I am not sure about undergraduate programs in the United States, but I believe that American law schools grade to a lower average/curve. Thus, a 3.0 at an American law school is more impressive than a 3.0 at a Canadian law school.

Anyway, getting off topic...

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Alflives

Quote:
His GPA (combined with other types of standardized tests, and team interviews) indicates more about his willingness to work hard, and to attain goals.

What if he showed he was actually super bright, and should have achieved grades closer to 3.5 or 4.0? Would that mean he was lazy, and didn't work hard enough?

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
I am not sure about undergraduate programs in the United States, but I believe that American law schools grade to a lower average/curve. Thus, a 3.0 at an American law school is more impressive than a 3.0 at a Canadian law school.

Anyway, getting off topic...
A 3 at UBC is a 73%
A 3 at an American institute is 84%.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
A 3 at UBC is a 73%
A 3 at an American institute is 84%.
3.0 at SFU is around 80%.

A bit off-topic, but I have no idea why the grading scale at UBC is so low.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:56 PM

This grade-point fuzziness is partly why universities like the one I attended do personal interviews. You can tell a whole lot just by sitting down with someone, even if they've gone through the whole nine yards of personal coaching and so on. I used to interview BC kids for Harvard, and it was a very interesting process, looking past both the shiny presentation and the nervousness, searching for that tell-tale "light behind the eyes."

To me, both Schneider and Schroeder sound like particularly bright guys in their interviews, although of course Cory is far more mature and polished than Jordan is. Cody Hodgson, on the other hand . . . well, he's a great kid, smart guy, but not like those other two.

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
in most cases, the equivalent grade at a canadian institution (for undergrad) is harder to attain or represents a higher level of achievement than at an american one.

however, that 3.0 is not nothing. it was a public school, whose rate of grade inflation is FAR lower than at a private school (say, notre dame or miami of ohio, which are two other teams in the CCHA). by a conservative estimate, a 3.0 at a leading public school, which minnesota is, would be the equivalent of at least a 3.5 at cornell (assuming, of course, the same degree/major/sorts of courses).

super off topic but:

incidentally, i know this because i've given almost the exact same exams for almost exactly the same standard intro course at a canadian school, a private american school (research, not straight teaching), and two big public american schools. the highest average grade was at the two public american schools (both also with NCAA teams in the CCHA), where more than 50% of the students had at least one part time job and many had two or three. easily the lowest was at the private american school (a very expensive and good one, incidentally). in the most extreme case, the second highest grade on one exam was 73% and the average was close to failing; those all were scaled up by a superior of mine so that the average was 79%. after the scale that was imposed, that 73% was identical to the one student who read the effing textbook and took notes during class and got 99%. you couldn't pay me enough to teach at that school, and to deal with those spoiled kids and their effing parents, again. at the canadian school, achievement was somewhere between those two, but closer to the big state schools; there, you have the opposite of grade inflation, where sometimes (but not in this class) you have to LOWER students' grades to fit a distribution (there is a cap on the number of As, Bs, and Ds you can give out, but no minimum; designed to curb grade inflation). long story short: schroeder is no rhodes scholar, but i've had NCAA athletes (including hockey) and having seen the extra-curricular demands placed on them, graduating with a B average is certainly impressive.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:26 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
3.0 at SFU is around 80%.

A bit off-topic, but I have no idea why the grading scale at UBC is so low.
You guys use a scale similar to US schools. UBC follows the same as the rest of the Canadian schools.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land O Lakes View Post
I think it's a combo of his personality and his playing style. Everywhere he's played other than the AHL he's had a linemate he clings to (High School - Anders Lee, NTDP - JVR, College - Stoa, Worlds - JVR). It's pretty clear he develops a trust/respect with these linemates (you can see it starting with Raymond) and that's when he starts to generate offense. When he's paired with linemates he doesn't mesh with you can tell he's just off.

As for his playing style, all those players above have commonalities -- they're great players, they're bigger, and they're finishers. His playing style when he's truly on his game is like he can see the entire ice better than anyone and he always has a way of finding that one linemate. He's just a set up man plain and simple. And as well as the Raymond thing has been working, I think Schroeder would do even better with a player like Kesler -- especially since Kesler has been molded under that NTDP/USA playing style. I'm not sure how that would work with the conflict of position but it would be fun to see.
Interesting.

How would you see a Booth - Kesler - Schroeder line? I've heard poor reviews of Schroeder as a winger in the AHL, I don't believe he's been one in the NHL yet. As we saw with Hodgson last year, doubtful that AV would put Kesler as the RW on that line.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma
Quote:
Vigneault on a happy homecoming for UofM star Schroeder: "His dad bought a box for the game, so I better play him." #canucks
Daddy is pressuring for more ice time!

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Ben Kuzma @benkuzma

Geez not again!

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Ben Kuzma @benkuzma

Seriously, excited for Schroeder in this game. Hope he gets a goal or at least a point; gotta be special playing in front of family and friends.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:20 PM
David71

hope js scores in his hometown tmr

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Loving Schroeder so far, funny how the Ebbet bandwagon finally ****. Still remember Kuzma and Botch saying bad things about Schroeder before the season. Also hilarious how they were all saying Ebbet was better then Schroeder on the wolves! Funny how guys like Tiranis, Orca and MS have been spot on about Jordan, but people that get paid to write about the Canucks are so freaking clueless.

The only thing id like to see Jordan do a little more is challenge the D. He has the speed to burn defenders and he should really try pushing the pace. I dont blame him just being responsible for the time being, but hopefully when Kesler comes back and Schroeder is still in the line up it'll give him more confidence Offensively. Also cant wait till he changes his number!

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:31 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Loving Schroeder so far, funny how the Ebbet bandwagon finally ****. Still remember Kuzma and Botch saying bad things about Schroeder before the season. Also hilarious how they were all saying Ebbet was better then Schroeder on the wolves! Funny how guys like Tiranis, Orca and MS have been spot on about Jordan, but people that get paid to write about the Canucks are so freaking clueless.

The only thing id like to see Jordan do a little more is challenge the D. He has the speed to burn defenders and he should really try pushing the pace. I dont blame him just being responsible for the time being, but hopefully when Kesler comes back and Schroeder is still in the line up it'll give him more confidence Offensively. Also cant wait till he changes his number!
Every single team1040 person also spoke ill of Schroeder too....now Blake Price and Sekeres are all over his junk.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post

I long ago game to the conclusion that HFBoards was a better resource for information than most of the talking heads in the local media. You get one or two guys who are worth their salt - Murph comes to mind - but the rest are so utterly clueless to how the game works both on and off the ice, and seemingly oblivious to the goings on of the team's system, that reading their tripe is pretty much a waste of time.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote