HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Fraser future shutdown D?

Old
02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Mark Fraser future shutdown D?

Kind of not really a mentioned Leaf much on these boards, but seems to really be flying under the radar and is seldom mentioned.

He has looked fairly solid to so far to me.

He's physical, will hit, can fight, and makes smart plays defensively.

Would like to see more of what he can bring, but his +4 leads the team right now.

Don't see increased minutes for him...but guys like Komisarek havve to be looking over their shoulders.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Kessley Snipes

I've lost count of the number of times that Mark Fraser has failed to clear the zone when he has had ample opportunity.

Nevermind the fact that Carlyle likes to throw out the Orr line when he is on the ice. It's like he is daring the other team to try and pin us in our own end.

Fraser has no role on this team long-term.

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessley Snipes View Post
I've lost count of the number of times that Mark Fraser has failed to clear the zone when he has had ample opportunity.

Nevermind the fact that Carlyle likes to throw out the Orr line when he is on the ice. It's like he is daring the other team to try and pin us in our own end.

Fraser has no role on this team long-term.
Don't think so, huh? I thought he's been alright. All defenseman on the Leafs are making mistakes though.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

hes quite slow id say

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:09 PM
blueNwhite89

Big fan of his play over the last few games. Hope he can keep it up.

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Maximan89

Hes kinda like a Komisarek with a clean slate. Keep him as a 7th dman and alternate him with the 6th when you need a bit of grit and size to compete against teams with bigger players and hes great.

Maximan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:13 PM
BlueAndWhite

As much as Fraser bring a different element to the rest of our d-man (save for Komisarek), I don't think he has what it takes to be a consistent bottom pairing d-man for a playoff team in the NHL.

His skating is not great, he has trouble clearing the zone, at times panics under pressure, etc.

I think he's fine as a 7th d-man but I don't see him being higher on the depth chart than Kostka and eventually Holzer (in terms of our AHL -> NHL d-men).

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:16 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Not a chance.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post
As much as Fraser bring a different element to the rest of our d-man (save for Komisarek), I don't think he has what it takes to be a consistent bottom pairing d-man for a playoff team in the NHL.

His skating is not great, he has trouble clearing the zone, at times panics under pressure, etc.

I think he's fine as a 7th d-man but I don't see him being higher on the depth chart than Kostka and eventually Holzer (in terms of our AHL -> NHL d-men).
Disagree. While the NHL is a big step up, he hasn't look out of place, IMO.
He offers our defence a level of toughness and nastyness our backline lacks.
There is certainly some room for improvement in terms of mobility and decision making, but he these are things that can be improved over time.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Al14

Fraser seems to be an OK 7th D man to keep around for now.

Al14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:24 PM
blueNwhite89

Another nice little move by Burke I should add. A capable D man in Fraser for Dale Mitchell (currently out of the league)

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:24 PM
thatshype

I totally agree. Fraser is going to develop into one of the best shutdown D-man in the league. He'll join Phil Oreskovich, who is definitely dominating defensively in the NHL now. Stupid Leafs let Oreskovich go! Let's not even mention Jaime Sifers who has proven that he can shutdown the opponent's best players....Why are the Leafs letting all these guys go???

thatshype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Stevie28

I find him to be very patient and good with the puck actually. yes his transitioning isnt the greatest, but i like his physicality, and he makes a good first pass out

Stevie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:28 PM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
I totally agree. Fraser is going to develop into one of the best shutdown D-man in the league. He'll join Phil Oreskovich, who is definitely dominating defensively in the NHL now. Stupid Leafs let Oreskovich go! Let's not even mention Jaime Sifers who has proven that he can shutdown the opponent's best players....Why are the Leafs letting all these guys go???
What team do you follow?

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Frelimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
I agree, that's why we have to it took Dale Mitchell (another bona fide superstar) to get him. Just wish we still had Staffan Kronwall to pair him with.

Frelimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:39 PM
masyo88*

Funny based on the responses you can tell who's watched the game and who hasn't. He's been solid for us this year. He has had a couple wtf moments, but really who on D doesn't once in a while? He had a good first past out of the zone, is physical, clears the net and is a plus 4. I don't get how people bash Fraser but then praise Kostka lol.

masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:45 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
Funny based on the responses you can tell who's watched the game and who hasn't. He's been solid for us this year. He has had a couple wtf moments, but really who on D doesn't once in a while? He had a good first past out of the zone, is physical, clears the net and is a plus 4. I don't get how people bash Fraser but then praise Kostka lol.
Who's bashing him? He's ok in limited minutes.

If you feel he can handle the minutes that go with being a shutdown defenseman that's great, you won't find many that agree. Makes one wonder if you watch the games?

Old
02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Prototype

He plays against lower competition, and less skilled forwards. He's done okay in that role.

Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:51 PM
masyo88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Who's bashing him? He's ok in limited minutes.

If you feel he can handle the minutes that go with being a shutdown defenseman that's great, you won't find many that agree. Makes one wonder if you watch the games?
Whos bashing him? Maybe read the post's above mine? I'm not saying he will be a future shutdown d-men, a solid 5 or 6 guys that can eat up 10-15 minutes a game and provide a physical presence. My point is how people bash Fraser but then praise Kostka, it just confuses me.

masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:55 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
Whos bashing him? Maybe read the post's above mine? I'm not saying he will be a future shutdown d-men, a solid 5 or 6 guys that can eat up 10-15 minutes a game and provide a physical presence. My point is how people bash Fraser but then praise Kostka, it just confuses me.
I don't see any bashing but then I don't see any praising Kostka.

The thread is asking if he can be a "future shutdown d?" No one is bashing him by saying no.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
G51 K81*

Leaf fans: If you're a PMD, you are bad defensively. If you are a shut-down/bigger defenseman, you can't clear the zone.

Worst fans in the NHL.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
hes quite slow id say
Slow is one thing, poor skater is another. It seems him and Kostka are AHL defensemen for a reason. Their skating is simply not NHL calibre.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:59 PM
firstemperor

He lacks the mobility to be a shut-down type. If you combine that with his poor skating ability, first/pass, and stickhandling out of precarious situations, you have a fringe #5/#6/AHL D-man on an average team, at best.

Really difficult to be a legitimate contender-viable shut-down type d-man if you have poor mobility, unless your Hal Gill (Habs version) who sacrifices his body every night and has an insane standing reach.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:02 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
What team do you follow?
Leafs obviously. I trust you're not ignorant enough not to be able to recognize sarcasm when you see it. My point is that WE, as Leafs fans, tend to get way too excited about guys that perform well with limited minutes in a short burst of games. I've been on this board for long enough to remember when people were excited about Phil Oreskovich, Jay Harrison, Steffan Kronwall, Jaime Sifers, and other D-man "prospects" that turned out to be nothing more than AHL players that were lucky to get a few games at the NHL. The fact that this thread even exists.....a thread to discuss an AHL tough-guy defenseman that is lucky to even to play NHL games....proves my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelimo
I agree, that's why we have to it took Dale Mitchell (another bona fide superstar) to get him. Just wish we still had Staffan Kronwall to pair him with.
^This guy understands my point.

thatshype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
The Caveman
snowbozie

He has surpassed my expectations and has looked as good/bad as our other D. At least he plays tough which is sorely lacking on our D so far this year. Comes cheap, plays hard - perfect for that #7 role. Get rid of Komi, Fraser can do the same thing, for a lot less.

The Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote