HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Regin vs. the Sabres

Old
02-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Zorf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
If you judge having a "good game" with points then I guess you are correct. If you look at all other facets of the game, you are wrong.
Not entirely wrong. He's supposed to be an offensive player. Everyone here hoped that he would provide an offensive spark to the bottom 6, and he has, for the most part, not done that. When Erik Condra is a better offensive catalyst than Peter Regin, we really need to question things.

Offensively he has been sub-par this season.

Defensively he has been good.

All totaled up, he's been less than good overall.

I don't agree that people criticizing players on the team they root for is a sign of a simple mind. It is people watching a player who is not living up to expectations, and are showing disappointment from that. Regin was given a great opportunity to play extra minutes in the top 6 when Spezza went down, and he did not produce. How is that anything but disappointing?

To his credit, his strong defensive play has meant that he is not hurting the team, but his inability thus far to provide offence isn't helping the team either.

I think it is far to say that most, if not all fans expect more from him.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
The Danish embassy is a floor above where I work

Should I go tell them to tell him to change his number? I have been meaning to go up there and tell them to tell him I think he's awesome

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Remember when Bobby Butler scored two goals against Calgary and we all thought "he's back!"

Yeah...let's not use one game as a barometer.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:24 PM
SenzZen

Personally it's more of a case of bashing fellow Sens fans than bashing our own players, but there is some definite overlap.

There was a time when we all saw loads of potential in him. Some choose to go back to that place when he has a game like last night; others choose to not push all the other set-backs out of their memories instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
The guy is fast, can stickhandle, can kill penalties, and is a low maintenance guy when it comes to his personality. I like him as a bottom 6 player who can get you 10 goals a year and play key minutes on the PK. I don't mind him here for another year or two until Hoffman is ready to be an NHL regular. I see Hoffman as Regins replacement both in the bottom 6 and as a constant dissapointment to SENS fans.
Yes, but that year was 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Remember when Bobby Butler scored two goals against Calgary and we all thought "he's back!"

Qft.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Alf Silfversson

vCash: 50

People saying Regin has been awful this year are:
  • not really watching the games; he's struggled to get on the score sheet but he's been solid otherwise.
  • Need to watch Colin Greening. This guy has been a steampile this year and he doesn't have the excuse of returning from a lengthy absence.

The team is winning and the coach is, rightfully, showing patience with his players.

Alf Silfversson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberger View Post

People saying Regin has been awful this year are:
  • not really watching the games; he's struggled to get on the score sheet but he's been solid otherwise.
  • Need to watch Colin Greening. This guy has been a steampile this year and he doesn't have the excuse of returning from a lengthy absence.

The team is winning and the coach is, rightfully, showing patience with his players.
Kindly identify one, please.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:03 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Regin has been disappointing when asked to step up.

He played well against Buffalo.

MacLean advised that he might be rusty given his circumstances. That's certainly a plausible scenario.

Overall, I haven't been impressed but dumping on the guy after he has his best game of the season is a bit silly IMO.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
H2O

Foligno had stretches of great games last year and it didn't mean he's part of the future plans. I see Regin as a lesser version of Foligno, and that is to say I've seen enough from him to know that he will be replaced by the next young player to get his shot with the club.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

I thought he showed way more hustle on the forecheck and in the battles down low, decent game for him and he made up for falling on his ass on their first goal which looked hilarious btw lol.

Greening-Regin-Neil had succes last year aswell right? Before he got injured that is.

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
zeddyp

lol this board is hilarious...it has a 1 game memory span...Bishop has a bad game "LYNCH HIM! BURN HIM!" Regin has 1 good game "HE'S BACK BABY!"

zeddyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:47 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorf View Post
Not entirely wrong. He's supposed to be an offensive player. Everyone here hoped that he would provide an offensive spark to the bottom 6, and he has, for the most part, not done that. When Erik Condra is a better offensive catalyst than Peter Regin, we really need to question things.

Offensively he has been sub-par this season.

Defensively he has been good.

All totaled up, he's been less than good overall.

I don't agree that people criticizing players on the team they root for is a sign of a simple mind. It is people watching a player who is not living up to expectations, and are showing disappointment from that. Regin was given a great opportunity to play extra minutes in the top 6 when Spezza went down, and he did not produce. How is that anything but disappointing?

To his credit, his strong defensive play has meant that he is not hurting the team, but his inability thus far to provide offence isn't helping the team either.

I think it is far to say that most, if not all fans expect more from him.
We all want the players to play at the highest level possible. I would like for him to score more but he is not hurting the team. I think for him botching up that 2 on 1 in Montreal may have been a moment for him to shake himself out and just play. Just play how you can and try not to be Spezza or whoever. his highlight goals speak for themselves. He has hardly played any hockey in a few years and I am thinking that the coach has a good read on where Regin is and is preaching patience.

By the way, is it not possible for Eric Condra to get better every year?

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post

lol good one

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Foligno had stretches of great games last year and it didn't mean he's part of the future plans. I see Regin as a lesser version of Foligno, and that is to say I've seen enough from him to know that he will be replaced by the next young player to get his shot with the club.
I think the team will wait until the season is over or someone asks for him in a trade before making that decision

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:38 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

It's like some people would prefer if Regin had a bad game.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Rumcajs

1st Period he was terrible. Sensed his NHL career being over and stepped it up.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:49 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
It's like some people would prefer if Regin had a bad game.
He didn't have a great game either. The Sabres were terrible last night and Regin tripped over the other teams net and cost us a goal.

THe only reason Regin looked good was because of the check he dodged my Myers, who has been terrible since his rookie year.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:50 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
He didn't have a great game either. The Sabres were terrible last night and Regin tripped over the other teams net and cost us a goal.

THe only reason Regin looked good was because of the check he dodged my Myers, who has been terrible since his rookie year.
A lot of the teams we beat early in the season were terrible.

I didn't see this caveat every time.

Yeah, he made a mistake, and it resulted in a goal. Must have been the first time that's happened this year.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Besides, if Buffalo were that terrible, where were all the goals from Michalek, Turris and Silfverberg?

Old
02-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Bob Kudelski

Regin was the best player on the ice last night. Not only did he have the two assists, but he almost scored a couple goals himself. If he can play anywhere near the level he was at last night, he will be a solid player. However if he keeps playing how he did prior to last night, I'm not sure there's a spot for him in the NHL.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
topshelfie

Great, now that Regin had a good game, we should lock him up long term and hope his shoulder ends up being ok, right?

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:21 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Great, now that Regin had a good game, we should lock him up long term and hope his shoulder ends up being ok, right?
Yeah, because that's what we're saying.

How about this:

Now that Regin had a good game, let's invest in a state-of-the-art cloning capability, and create 18 identical clones of him, raising them in a special facility for the development of hockey skills, and then release them upon the NHL 18 years from now, changing our city and team name to the Reginville Regins, and then dominate the world for a thousand years, right?

Does this help with the discussion?

Old
02-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Yeah, because that's what we're saying.

How about this:

Now that Regin had a good game, let's invest in a state-of-the-art cloning capability, and create 18 identical clones of him, raising them in a special facility for the development of hockey skills, and then release them upon the NHL 18 years from now, changing our city and team name to the Reginville Regins, and then dominate the world for a thousand years, right?

Does this help with the discussion?
Were can I invest in this state of the are cloning facility? Off topic, the Regintopian world would be a wonderful place.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:34 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'm particularly astounded since his personal offensive contribution exceeded the team's over the previous two games.

I'll take points no matter who gets them and how.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kudelski View Post
Regin was the best player on the ice last night. Not only did he have the two assists, but he almost scored a couple goals himself. If he can play anywhere near the level he was at last night, he will be a solid player. However if he keeps playing how he did prior to last night, I'm not sure there's a spot for him in the NHL.
How is missing the net and shooting the puck square in the goalies chest close to scoring a couple of goals?

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Berserker*

So are we giving every player an appreciation thread after they have a good game? Shouldn't you guys go make a Daugavins appreciation thread then? He had that nice play with Alfie and Turris against the panthers.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote