HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#09 |Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Islanders | Feb 5 | 7 PM | 4-2 L

Old
02-06-2013, 03:36 PM
BillD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
especially true on the PP, far too slow and a lot of indecisiveness.

They kept looking for the cross-ice to Tavares that Pitts simply shut down every time. Was a really bad PP the last two games though Fleury really was excellent.

They didn't get any breaks or bounces in front either. Fleury robbing JT on the nice Moulson pass, couldn't bury any rebounds either. Pens played really well defensively. Despres looked excellent, as did Orpik and, yes, even Paul Martin!

I knew there would be chemistry among them, Boyes is a very good passer and offensive player, and he's working much harder the last few games, even winning puck battles! He's played well....but he and Moulson on the ice at the same time just seems STUPID.

And this, Tavares is trying to do everything out there. That's not good. He is being far too cute with the puck and he is carrying the puck far too much, battling really hard. While some of you will say he's having a bad season, he's a far better player this year than any other. He's not finishing plays offensively, he's turning the puck over, absolutely, but he's the whole-show for this team now.

In his first two years I was harping on how much it HURT JT to play with Parenteau because PAP always had the puck and always turned it over. I couldn't stand PAP-Wisniewski playing back-and-forth on every PP and JT never touching the puck.

And last year, PAP actually HELPED JT a great deal with his carrying the puck. As JT got stronger and faster, Parenteau learned to use his puck skills to help JT and MM and that line was awesome at times, one of the best in the NHL.

This year, I'm torn. I don't want Tavares doing everything out there. I love his desire and he truly tries to win every puck battle and score every time they are on the ice, but this is something that will only get him injured. I don't think he needs linemates to "help him score" and I don't really care if he wins an Art Ross trophy one day - but they've got to get some balance on these lines and I'd lean towards PROTECTING JT more than getting points.

I'm not suggesting "protection" like Dave Semenko, like Matt Martin would fit, I think Tavares shouldn't be the ONLY guy on his line responsible for first guy on the back check, first on the forecheck, setting up offense, winning puck battles. To be flanked by two players that would be parasites for goals/assists.

Snow needs to get this right, even with the limited budget Wang's given him.
Interesting that according to the NYI website JT is listed at 199 lbs. He made a point after 2010-11 season of wanting to play 2011-12 at 206, and commented on it making him a stronger player. http://islanders.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475166

He is getting knocked down more this year along with his skating seeming to regress to that slower, wide legged style he had when he first came to the Isles. He looks slower to me.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Interesting that according to the NYI website JT is listed at 199 lbs. He made a point after 2010-11 season of wanting to play 2011-12 at 206, and commented on it making him a stronger player. http://islanders.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475166

He is getting knocked down more this year along with his skating seeming to regress to that slower, wide legged style he had when he first came to the Isles. He looks slower to me.
Really? I think he looks faster, but maybe that's compared to the slugs that have been on his line so far this year.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote