Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
How is his hockey IQ though? To me, he sounds a bit like Brett Bulmer or Raphaël Bussieres.
Excellent. His anticipation skills is top notch, making him a dangerous player on the forecheck.

The thing that seperates him from being a top line player is that he isn't overly creative, notably elusive, or dynamic with his puckhandling.

He goes fearlessly into the offensive zone, causes havok, and has a quick release which can capitalize on some of his turnovers. In the right system, he'll put up a good amount of points, but he isn't one I would rely on to create offense out of nothing.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:40 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Curtis Lazar would maybe fit us.. But... Risto is our man..

Old
02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Here is a guy asking about a bunch of American prospects. He also rags on Fasching a bit, which was funny.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post59158921

Old
02-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Here is a guy asking about a bunch of American prospects. He also rags on Fasching a bit, which was funny.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post59158921
Well he compared Cammarata to Grimaldi and Guertler to Gaudreau which tells me he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Well he compared Cammarata to Grimaldi and Guertler to Gaudreau which tells me he doesn't really know what he's talking about.
He doesn't and it is sorta of sad to see the OP kiss ass.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

I dont know if you guys have talked about Kerby Rychel or Josh Morrissey?

Old
02-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Haven't seen Rychel since the WJC U-18 but in thise games, he looked like a potential 2nd/3rd liner because he was good in the forecheck, nicely built, but not notably fast or dynamic. But apparently, he is very good in front of the net, so on the right line, pribably can produce well.

Saw Morrissey in the WJC U-18, once live and once on TV. Very mobile and great edgework. Very slick control of the puck. Not big but decently built. Good vision and confident with the puck. He plays calm and poised but if I had any gripe, wished he would amp his energy level. I dont mean he is lazy, just he has all the tools and skills to take his offensive game to the next level, he justs need to be dynamic. Probably a 2nd pairing two-way guy with potential of bring the PP quarterback.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

FC feature on Tommy Vannelli

Old
02-07-2013, 03:46 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Curtis Lazar would maybe fit us.. But... Risto is our man..
Please, no.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Please, no.
I have no problem with Ristolainen. Big player that has good puckmoving skills and can play with an edge.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I have no problem with Ristolainen. Big player that has good puckmoving skills and can play with an edge.
Is he going to score 30 goals a year? I'm not worried about the defense anymore. We need people who can score goals.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:03 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Haven't seen Rychel since the WJC U-18 but in thise games, he looked like a potential 2nd/3rd liner because he was good in the forecheck, nicely built, but not notably fast or dynamic. But apparently, he is very good in front of the net, so on the right line, pribably can produce well.

Saw Morrissey in the WJC U-18, once live and once on TV. Very mobile and great edgework. Very slick control of the puck. Not big but decently built. Good vision and confident with the puck. He plays calm and poised but if I had any gripe, wished he would amp his energy level. I dont mean he is lazy, just he has all the tools and skills to take his offensive game to the next level, he justs need to be dynamic. Probably a 2nd pairing two-way guy with potential of bring the PP quarterback.
sounds like potential people to look at in the 2nd round? or late 1st round

Old
02-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Is he going to score 30 goals a year? I'm not worried about the defense anymore. We need people who can score goals.
Well there aren't many good bets for 30 goals scorers in this draft. There a few with that potential but they have major questions to their game.

Ristolainen is a mixture of good upside and safeness (not sure if thats a word...). Great body, skates well, great all-round game, experience playing against men, experience playing against the best at international games.

Safe and good upside.

So its really your preference.

You can skip over a safe prospect who is a decent bet for a top minute munching defenseman because, as you say, "not going to score 30 goals" for a more high risk/high reward player that could potential score 30 goals or could crumble under all the required work needed to make it.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
sounds like potential people to look at in the 2nd round? or late 1st round
Think both are quite safe bets for the 1st. Mobile, agile defenseman that plays with poise and can move the puck are always valued highly.

And with Rychel, hardworking forwards that can forecheck hard but also has some offensive upside as also valued usually around mid-late 1st round.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:28 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

not to look at just stats alone but max domi and kerby rychel like I mentioned previously are doing pretty well. However not to get into too much debate, but do the wild draft BPA? since obviously we still need more scoring or go for a defender like the last two years with our first pick. And we may lose guys like cullen, heatley, and possibly bouchard in the near future.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:31 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
I think with Dumba and Seeler in the pipeline, Medvec as potential 3rd pairing...bpa is absolutely the way to go. If bpa is a defenseman, so be it...if it's a forward just as well.

Just as long as they stay away from goalies in the first round, I'll be happy.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
not to look at just stats alone but max domi and kerby rychel like I mentioned previously are doing pretty well. However not to get into too much debate, but do the wild draft BPA? since obviously we still need more scoring or go for a defender like the last two years with our first pick. And we may lose guys like cullen, heatley, and possibly bouchard in the near future.
Granlund, IMO, is looking like he could be a center, but is more likely going to be more successful at Wing. I'd like for the Wild to look at another center. Obviously BPA, but I'd lean towards a center. Perhaps a winger, but with Parise, Coyle, Zucker, and possibly Granlund, our wings look good for a while.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:01 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:

Minnesota looks for certain traits in prospects (hockey sense, competitiveness, character, skill), and they make their list based off of that. Their list (and all the other NHL teams for that matter) look drastically different than what FC, Redline, ISS, etc. put out.

Judging from Flahr-run drafts so far, they certainly want skill in the 1st round no matter the position. Based off their comments, I think they had Dumba in their top 3-5 players this last year.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:14 PM
DANOZ28

feb 4th craig buttons list, (hope its not already posted). http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Old
02-12-2013, 03:13 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I think with Dumba and Seeler in the pipeline, Medvec as potential 3rd pairing...bpa is absolutely the way to go. If bpa is a defenseman, so be it...if it's a forward just as well.

Just as long as they stay away from goalies in the first round, I'll be happy.
Why is everyone counting on Seeler to shore up the depth when he's in the USHL? He's not going to see the NHL for at least 5-7 years (at best 3 years in college, maybe even 4 and 2-3 years in the AHL).

We have almost no depth past Dumba. Scandella is still really a project, Spurgeon can't stay on the ice, Falk and Stoner are hot and cold. Medvec is a project. Kampfer looks okay. Brodin is a gem but we could use a lot more defensive depth especially since it takes a while till they find their game.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Why is everyone counting on Seeler to shore up the depth when he's in the USHL? He's not going to see the NHL for at least 5-7 years (at best 3 years in college, maybe even 4 and 2-3 years in the AHL).
Seeler is a freshman at UNO.

One guy that a lot of people have looked past because he's over in Europe is Gunnarsson. I'm certainly not banking on him to become an NHL defenseman but I think he has a better chance than someone like Medvec.

Last edited by Jaykay: 02-12-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 07:58 AM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Seeler is a freshman at UNO.

One guy that a lot of people have looked past because he's over in Europe is Gunnarsson. I'm certainly not banking on him to become an NHL defenseman but I think he has a better chance than someone like Medvec.
I'd hope that Gunnarsson comes over next season and plays a season or two in the AHL. So hopefully he can make his debut(if things go right), as early as two years from now. Seeler I see as a guy 4-5 years away. Draeger about the same.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:23 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

I have no problem going strictly BPA. This draft doesn't look very deep in terms of top end talent, so I'm going to do what I do every year...trust Fletcher and Flahr to make the pick they think is right.

I think what many people fail to comprehend is that the draft is not supposed to fill immediate team needs. That's what trades and free agency is for. The draft is all about the long term.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:39 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post

We have almost no depth past Dumba. Scandella is still really a project, Spurgeon can't stay on the ice, Falk and Stoner are hot and cold. Medvec is a project. Kampfer looks okay. Brodin is a gem but we could use a lot more defensive depth especially since it takes a while till they find their game.
We have a young group in Brodin, Spurgeon, Scandella, a long term top guy in Suter, Dumba is only a year or two away, Gilbert isn't going anywhere soon. There are only six spots to fill in a game. Obviously there may be a trade or a ufa signing to add to it as well... Counting on Seeler is just a fact that we have a lot of long term players already in the mix here.

The Wild don't NEED Seeler any sooner than he's ready. Seeler and the Wild have time to be patient with his development. Also, he's in his freshman season already as has been pointed out.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:09 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

If they have a handful of prospects graded out in the same grouping when they pick, I'd like to see them draft a player who projects to be a center. It'll be a lot easier to add a 2nd pairing defenseman (if we need one) through FA/trade than a top 6 center.

Koivu - He's 29. Obviously he still has good years left, but he's not young.
Granlund - Could develop into a top 6 center, but it's way too early to tell.
Larsson - Seems to be a 2C/3C.
Brodziak - Like him, but realistically shouldn't be more than a 3C.
Phillips - More likely a winger if he makes it.

So, all things being equal, I think the Wild could use a center more than a defenseman or winger. Of course, if they have a player rated higher at another position, then by all means they should take him.

Closed Thread