HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Goaltending discussion thread (edit: Markstrom called up)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 02:35 PM
  #51
luby3131
Registered User
 
luby3131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Parkland, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
I didn't understand resigning Clemmensen last year. Is he a serviceable back up goalie? Sure. He had a solid season last year. But I don't get it. I think Markstrom had proved he was ready for the NHL in his short stint last year. He's still clearly the best goalie outside the NHL.

That being said, I'd call him up only if there's an injury or we just go downhill. The goaltending has not been very good, but it certainly isn't the main issue.

To the poster who mentioned Sergei Gayduchenko.. he's not an NHL caliber goalie. He's a big guy, but he lacks some of the movement skills necessary to be a solid NHL net minder. He reminds me a bit of Alexander Salak

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
  #52
Benched
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,884
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
I didn't understand resigning Clemmensen last year. Is he a serviceable back up goalie? Sure. He had a solid season last year. But I don't get it. I think Markstrom had proved he was ready for the NHL in his short stint last year. He's still clearly the best goalie outside the NHL.

That being said, I'd call him up only if there's an injury or we just go downhill. The goaltending has not been very good, but it certainly isn't the main issue.

To the poster who mentioned Sergei Gayduchenko.. he's not an NHL caliber goalie. He's a big guy, but he lacks some of the movement skills necessary to be a solid NHL net minder. He reminds me a bit of Alexander Salak
Exactly what my thought process was. Re-signing Clemmensen with Markstrom on this team with NHL experience made no sense to me. If Tallon thought he was ready last year, why wasn't he ready this year? It's not like his seven games here last year were bad. They were nothing great but they were not bad.

In Clemmensen's defense, the defense has played like crap around him, especially Kuba. I don't think cutting him right now would be completely fair to him after what he did last year. Add to the fact the question of depth if one of Markstrom or Theodore goes down and I think right now, we have to stay where we're at.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:01 PM
  #53
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther
 
CanadianPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,482
vCash: 50
Clemmensen's Stats the last two years:

SEASON TEAM GP W L T OT SO GA SA Sv% GAA Min
2010-2011 Panthers 31 8 11 - 7 1 74 833 .911 2.62 1,696
2011-2012 Panthers 30 14 6 - 6 1 67 773 .913 2.57 1,566

From what I've read, most of us are divided on Clemmensen's ability as the back-up. His first year was scary with win-loss record but the numbers were still pretty decent. His second year is why he was re-signed but I feel one year would have been a better idea.

I don't hate the guy, I remember he won some crucial games for us last year and let's face it, his 14 wins represent more than a 1/3 of our total 38wins last year. We were 12th in the league for Goals Against last year and I'm sure alot of people felt Theo and Clem couldn't provide sound goaltending.

My main reason to bring Markstrom up IS to test his confidence, he's 23 and by next year should have the job as back-up locked up. The main question is who he will be backing up? Most believe and feel Theodore would be the easy pick. Theo's a UFA and I'm sure he wouldn't have a hard time getting offers from other teams looking for him to play 25-40 games next year.

I don't want to rid the Panthers of Clemmensen but I don't think having Theo if he re-signs and Clem as the tandem for 2013-14 is the right thing to do. Clemmensen is the odd man out I feel, he needs to go so Markstrom can build confidence in knowing he's worthy of 15-30 games in the 2013-14 season.

If Markstrom stays in the AHL all year, that will hinder his confidence even more than letting him play 5 games this year. We're not asking him to come in and save the season, more just getting him adjusted to the role he's positioned for next year which will be back-up.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:03 PM
  #54
Beville
#ForTheBoys
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Engerlanddd!
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
But doesn't Clemmy have some FILTHY pads?

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:10 PM
  #55
RampageNate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
If Markstrom stays in the AHL all year, that will hinder his confidence even more than letting him play 5 games this year. We're not asking him to come in and save the season, more just getting him adjusted to the role he's positioned for next year which will be back-up.
Having talked to Markstrom several times over the past two years, both as a fan and as a credentialed media member, one thing Markstrom doesn't lack is confidence. He understands his role in the organization, and when he's called upon, he will be fine mentally.

His confidence is borderline off-putting. Not for me personally, as it's a persoanlity trait I hope for in a goalie, but to some, he has an air of semi-cockiness.

RampageNate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:18 PM
  #56
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Having talked to Markstrom several times over the past two years, both as a fan and as a credentialed media member, one thing Markstrom doesn't lack is confidence. He understands his role in the organization, and when he's called upon, he will be fine mentally.

His confidence is borderline off-putting. Not for me personally, as it's a persoanlity trait I hope for in a goalie, but to some, he has an air of semi-cockiness.
Agreed a goalie must have that to succeed.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:25 PM
  #57
RampageNate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Agreed a goalie must have that to succeed.
See: Al Montoya

RampageNate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:37 PM
  #58
pantherbot
Registered User
 
pantherbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
I've thought about this some more and while I'd like to see Markstrom up instead of Clemmer and believe that a Theo/Markstrom combo will give us the best chance to win, I don't see this as feasible or likely to happen.

We just re-signed Clemmensen to a two-year deal. There is no way we cut him loose after even a handful of games. In a shortened lock-out season, I can't see us playing enough games to justify cutting someone who we just signed. Maybe if it was a normal 82 game season, I could see it happening if he played really poorly by the halfway mark, but not this season.

It's the same reason why Kuba may be benched here and there, but it is very unlikely that he is cut loose or traded. It would make for some very bad PR and harm our desireability for future free agents.

So maybe we see Markstrom come up for a couple games, and maybe he leads to a benching of Clemmenson, but I think Theo/Clemm is our go-to duo for this season. For better or worse.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:01 PM
  #59
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther
 
CanadianPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,482
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Having talked to Markstrom several times over the past two years, both as a fan and as a credentialed media member, one thing Markstrom doesn't lack is confidence. He understands his role in the organization, and when he's called upon, he will be fine mentally.

His confidence is borderline off-putting. Not for me personally, as it's a persoanlity trait I hope for in a goalie, but to some, he has an air of semi-cockiness.
In your opinion, is Markstrom NHL ready next year to face 15-25 games? I feel he would have been ready this year but the safe route was to have Theo and Clem again. Markstrom cannot be playing for the Rampage in 2013-14, you reach a certain point where you develop a player and then theres the point where you hinder their development.

Even if he has a sub-par year for San Antonio, it's time for him to swim with the big fish and learn how to handle the criticism and expectations of being the #1 guy in a year or two. I also understand it's not Jacob's choice, I guess I'm just antsy to see what he can bring to the team.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:05 PM
  #60
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,037
vCash: 500
You clearly only send Clemmensen down this season if you are planning on buying him out this summer. We'll see what the answer to that is. You can't send a guy down who you are planning on bringing back next season.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:12 PM
  #61
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Why would he not? Do we know what his aspirations are? Maybe he does want to stay in Russia all his life, or maybe he wants to try NA and he knows he ain't gonna be in the NHL even as a back up anywhere off the bat, therefote the AHL is the logical place to start for a young goalie like him to try to make it in NA. He's still young and is a beast at least physically, if I'm not mistaken he's Markstrom's size. Like I said he seems to be doing decent in arguably the 2nd best league in the world, I take it as both a quality and quantity depth move. Clemmensen gets traded, we have Markie and Theodore with the Cats and Sergei/DGM in the AHL why not?
Gayduchenko hasn't come over since he was drafted in 2007. Why would he now? It's a longshot at best, and on top of that you expect him to come over in the middle of the season? He's not just going to ditch his KHL team. Plus even if he came over there would probably be an adjustment period to N.A. hockey like there was for Markstrom. He is not an answer.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
  #62
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Oh look, another person has extrapolated a 2 game sample size to have definitive meaning. Clap clap clap.
oh look, another person attempting to reply in a condescending tone despite having literacy issues.


Quote:
It astounds me how the majority of human kind can never reference something within a sample size, and understand it's limitations. Is Clemmensen a great goalie? No. But he's an ok backup if you don't expect too much, and his stats will even out.

seriously....can you read or are you just replying to be a wanna-be know-it-all?

i barely cited Clemmensen's stats this season (or prior seasons) because that wasn't the issue. stats can be deceiving with goaltenders. him being a terrible goalie is the issue.

if you actually watch the games, you'd realize how bad a goalie he is, unless you're blind. he given up a soft goal every game he's played in this year, small sample size or not, and in the last two games it's been several. this is nothing new, though. he's been prone to poor play his entire tenure here, and is why most fans dislike him (me included).

is he a serviceable backup? yes he is. but that doesn't make him a good goalie. it just means there are goalies out there that are just as bad or worse than he is. markstrom is unproven, but obviously has the ability to not only be better than a "servicable backup", but an elite starter. and he's ready to play at this level.

theodore not playing up to the same level he was last season, a regression in both our goalies play is not something we can afford.

if markstrom comes up and replaces clemmensen, the overall position is improved. up to what it was last year, maybe even better. and no one can argue that fact.

simple enough for you?



Quote:
Markstrom is in the AHL for a reason. He hasn't strung together a large sample size of dominance, for all his talents, and needs regularly playing time.

oh really?

he's played ONE-HUNDRED AND SEVEN games in the American Hockey league. 107(!). The last 60+ being at about as high a level as you can possibly expect.

he's had plenty of time in the AHL to develop. he's seasoned, as seasoned as he'll ever be. he's playing at an incredibly high level right now and his confidence has to be as high as it will ever get to make the transition to the NHL successfully.

the only reason people like you continue to claim he needs time down there is because dale tallon says it. well guess what - dale tallon also thought drew shore needed more time down there and he was wrong - and pretty much admits it now.

Markstrom is ready. Clemmensen sucks. make the switch.


Last edited by flapanthersfan: 02-06-2013 at 05:43 PM.
flapanthersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:25 PM
  #63
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
"“He was all right. He would’ve liked to have the shot off the wing back,’’ Dineen said of Clemmensen, who had 18 saves on 21 shots. “We had our opportunities to try and score, but we didn’t have much on the power play tonight.’’

So the coach had no issue with his play but posters want to move Markstrom up because why? Because YOU don't feel comfortable with him in net? It's crazy to think that the BACKUP GOALIE is an issue
lol are you actually serious? you're trying to quote our coach saying Clemmensen was "all right", and act as if that supports your argument?

seriously?

did you expect Dineen to come out and say "boy, Clemmensen was ****ing awful" because that's what a good coach would do, throw his players under the bus.




Quote:
. We were in a position to win that game last night. Have you seen Theo's stats on this year? Do you think he's that bad or do you think the team in front of him is playing poorly? It's the team in front of him.
did you actually read my post? i clearly said theodore hasn't been playing well lately, either. his last three games have been pretty bad, but the team in front of him got him 2 wins. scoring 10 goals in 2 games.

so in other words, you couldn't be anymore wrong.


Quote:
And geez, give the guy a break, it's only his second start of the season after almost zero training camp and pre-season. He's not going to look in prime shape. And there's no way you can say he didn't look better as the game went on.
he looked terrible all game. the jets had zero scoring chances in the first period, and despite that, hit the post twice (LOL). he was giving up hideous rebounds in the first as well, gave up two terrible goals in the second. he made his only two saves worth anything in the third.

so he made 2 worthwhile saves, gave up 2 terrible goals. on what planet is that good goaltending? let alone in the NHL?

Quote:
We need to let Markstrom develop properly and be patient. This is the formula for not screwing up prospects. Everyone loves Drew Shore and we developed him properly.



Drew Shore played 41 games in the AHL. Jacob Markstrom has played over 100.

get a clue.


Quote:
Goalies take even more time. And there's no way it can be good for Markstrom to be put into a situation where he's playing behind a team that doesn't play D properly, turns the puck over, and makes dumb decisions. At the NHL level he'll get lit up and lose his confidence. He still needs to work on his rebound control and play as much as possible at the AHL level. Next season it's his job to win at the NHL level.
A) have you seen San Antonio play in front of him? that team is a disaster and he hides their shortcomings with his ridiculous play

B) the last three games have been VERY well played games by the 18 skaters in front of our goalies. especially last night. if we continue to play like that, Markstrom is being put in a much more conducive situation to succeed than he is in San Antonio.

so again, your argument completely works against you.


Quote:
It's so weird how obsessed some of you are with hating on our backup goalie who was a good backup goalie last year. His stats were good, he won big games for us, and he's a cheap contract.

We'll see Markstrom eventually but there's no need for him right now.

If anything, call up nobody and demote Kovalev.


we can disagree until we're blue in the face as to whether clemmensen is a "good" backup (he's not, he's medicore, at best).

but the point i was making is markstrom is an improvement. no one is stupid enough to argue that. he makes our team better, right now. and in a schedule like this one, and both of our goalies struggling...theres ZERO reason to have him in the AHL.

give him a 50-50 split with theodore and we're a better team than we were yesterday. it's as simple as that.

flapanthersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:27 PM
  #64
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
But doesn't Clemmy have some FILTHY pads?
His pads are AWFUL. Way to bright .His gaping five hole is 10x more visible now.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:37 PM
  #65
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,027
vCash: 500
I'm on the fence, I'm down with either way and will support whatever Tallon decides. He doesn't have a five hole...he has a five canyon!

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
  #66
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
lol are you actually serious? you're trying to quote our coach saying Clemmensen was "all right", and act as if that supports your argument?

seriously?

did you expect Dineen to come out and say "boy, Clemmensen was ****ing awful" because that's what a good coach would do, throw his players under the bus.






did you actually read my post? i clearly said theodore hasn't been playing well lately, either. his last three games have been pretty bad, but the team in front of him got him 2 wins. scoring 10 goals in 2 games.

so in other words, you couldn't be anymore wrong.




he looked terrible all game. the jets had zero scoring chances in the first period, and despite that, hit the post twice (LOL). he was giving up hideous rebounds in the first as well, gave up two terrible goals in the second. he made his only two saves worth anything in the third.

so he made 2 worthwhile saves, gave up 2 terrible goals. on what planet is that good goaltending? let alone in the NHL?






Drew Shore played 41 games in the AHL. Jacob Markstrom has played over 100.

get a clue.



A) have you seen San Antonio play in front of him? that team is a disaster and he hides their shortcomings with his ridiculous play

B) the last three games have been VERY well played games by the 18 skaters in front of our goalies. especially last night. if we continue to play like that, Markstrom is being put in a much more conducive situation to succeed than he is in San Antonio.

so again, your argument completely works against you.





we can disagree until we're blue in the face as to whether clemmensen is a "good" backup (he's not, he's medicore, at best).

but the point i was making is markstrom is an improvement. no one is stupid enough to argue that. he makes our team better, right now. and in a schedule like this one, and both of our goalies struggling...theres ZERO reason to have him in the AHL.

give him a 50-50 split with theodore and we're a better team than we were yesterday. it's as simple as that.
You need to relax. You're coming off very emotionally and you seem unhinged. Relax.

Dineen would say something where people can read between the lines. He's done it in the past. Too bad Clemmenson didn't suck last night. If you think he sucked, which you do, you do not understand goaltending or hockey.

Clemmer is a good backup, and he was top 30 in Save% and GAA last year for goalies who played a minimum of 20 games. The only reason you don't agree is because you're stubborn or ignorant to facts. That must make you mad how statistically you're wrong.

Drew Shore doesn't play goalie. He also has been playing in North America longer than Markstrom. It's an apples and oranges comparison. You can't compare a CENTER to a GOALIE. Goalies take longer to develop than D-men who take longer to develop than forwards. If you knew this you wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly about games played. As you would say, get a clue.

Good to see him hiding the shortcoming in AHL games. That's not the same as NHL play. It's a slower game with less skilled players.

Markstrom is an asset. You need to let him keep developing in the minors. We don't have a goaltending problem so you're creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Markstrom still needs work in the A. He's playing well now but we need to see stretches of high level play. He was rocky to start the season and playing well now. Lets see him keep playing well. Santos said he'll be up eventually but you can't make the argument that last night is the catalyst for him to come up.

We wont be a better team with Markstrom in net. We have sloppy play, poor decision making, and players sucking it up big time. We made the playoffs with Theo and Clemmer. Clemmer was 14-6-6! He got us points in 20/26 games. That's a good backup but I know you're stubborn or ignorant to facts.

Anyway, there are bigger issues than your simple minded kneejerk extremely emotional overreaction to a goalie giving up 2 goals in regulation. Like as MarkstromRules pointed out about waiving Clemmer and then we'd have to buy him out next year.

A lot of people disagree with you so you need to relax. You're not making a very solid argument as it is. You freaked out about Clemmer giving up two goals in regulation which some would very reasonably argue were not even his fault. If you want people to take you seriously, don't inject extremely emotional overreactions to discussions. Hope that helps.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:43 PM
  #67
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
You need to relax. You're coming off very emotionally and you seem unhinged. Relax.

Dineen would say something where people can read between the lines. He's done it in the past. Too bad Clemmenson didn't suck last night. If you think he sucked, which you do, you do not understand goaltending or hockey.
emotional responses are provoked by patronizing comments like this one.

i've played goalie my entire life, at extremely competitive levels and have received proper training/coaching. i've forgotten more about the position that you could ever hope to learn.
Quote:

Clemmer is a good backup, and he was top 30 in Save% and GAA last year for goalies who played a minimum of 20 games. The only reason you don't agree is because you're stubborn or ignorant to facts. That must make you mad how statistically you're wrong.

as i stated before - statistics can be deceiving, especially with the goaltending position.

i dont have time right now to go into details (i have to play a game at 9pm...AS A GOALIE ), but if you think Clemmer is a "good goalie" you're insane.
Quote:
Drew Shore doesn't play goalie. He also has been playing in North America longer than Markstrom. It's an apples and oranges comparison. You can't compare a CENTER to a GOALIE. Goalies take longer to develop than D-men who take longer to develop than forwards. If you knew this you wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly about games played. As you would say, get a clue.

all you seem to do is spew the same 'ol garbage management/media says.

yes, if you stereotype, what you said may be true. but every player is different. these are individuals, they develop at different rates. markstrom has had THREE SEASONS and over 100 games to adapt to north america. that's plenty, especially for a guy of his supposed skillset. no one can disagree.

Quote:
Good to see him hiding the shortcoming in AHL games. That's not the same as NHL play. It's a slower game with less skilled players.

Markstrom is an asset. You need to let him keep developing in the minors. We don't have a goaltending problem so you're creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Markstrom still needs work in the A. He's playing well now but we need to see stretches of high level play. He was rocky to start the season and playing well now. Lets see him keep playing well. Santos said he'll be up eventually but you can't make the argument that last night is the catalyst for him to come up.

We wont be a better team with Markstrom in net. We have sloppy play, poor decision making, and players sucking it up big time. We made the playoffs with Theo and Clemmer. Clemmer was 14-6-6! He got us points in 20/26 games. That's a good backup but I know you're stubborn or ignorant to facts.

Anyway, there are bigger issues than your simple minded kneejerk extremely emotional overreaction to a goalie giving up 2 goals in regulation. Like as MarkstromRules pointed out about waiving Clemmer and then we'd have to buy him out next year.

A lot of people disagree with you so you need to relax. You're not making a very solid argument as it is. You freaked out about Clemmer giving up two goals in regulation which some would very reasonably argue were not even his fault. If you want people to take you seriously, don't inject extremely emotional overreactions to discussions. Hope that helps.
i'm the one not making good arguments - yet all you do is spew conventional thinking and act as if it's the truth because it's popular opinion.

if you think this team isn't a better team with a markstrom-theodore tandem instead of a clemmensen-theodore tandem...(like you said) you don't even deserve to respond to any of this because you have no credibility on the subject.

flapanthersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
  #68
RampageNate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
A) have you seen San Antonio play in front of him? that team is a disaster and he hides their shortcomings with his ridiculous play
Just wanted to address this really quickly. I have watched every home game live and about half the road games on AHL Live. This team isn't anything even close to a "disaster". They are very good defensively and have a top 4 PK. Their #1 shortcoming, IMO, is their complete lack of a power play. With even a league average offense, they would be right in the 4-8 seed playoff picture.

They have had a bunch of injuries and play in the toughest division in the AHL (maybe not post lockout, but pre-lockout it wasn't even close).

The team definitely has shortcomings, but calling them a disaster is hyperbole.

RampageNate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:15 PM
  #69
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
emotional responses are provoked by patronizing comments like this one.

i've played goalie my entire life, at extremely competitive levels and have received proper training/coaching. i've forgotten more about the position that you could ever hope to learn.



as i stated before - statistics can be deceiving, especially with the goaltending position.

i dont have time right now to go into details (i have to play a game at 9pm...AS A GOALIE ), but if you think Clemmer is a "good goalie" you're insane.



all you seem to do is spew the same 'ol garbage management/media says.

yes, if you stereotype, what you said may be true. but every player is different. these are individuals, they develop at different rates. markstrom has had THREE SEASONS and over 100 games to adapt to north america. that's plenty, especially for a guy of his supposed skillset. no one can disagree.



i'm the one not making good arguments - yet all you do is spew conventional thinking and act as if it's the truth because it's popular opinion.

if you think this team isn't a better team with a markstrom-theodore tandem instead of a clemmensen-theodore tandem...(like you said) you don't even deserve to respond to any of this because you have no credibility on the subject.
14-6-6 last year, top 30 in GAA and Save % for goalies who played min 20 games last year. He's a good backup at the NHL level. Refusing to give him credit hurts your argument. That's how you gain credibility on topics. The guy gave up two goals in regulation and you create a thread saying Clemmer needs to be demoted. That's crazy.

Markstrom was also coming back from a knee injury. If they were so high on him they wouldn't have signed Clemmer to an extension. The plan, is clear. Markstrom gets some action at some point this season, starting job is his to lose next season. Let him get the kinks out, work on his play in the AHL. Apparently management and scouts who see him a lot more than you or I clearly disagree with you.

It's not better. We could have Henrik and Quick in net and we'd still lose games because this is a TEAM game and our forwards and D haven't been doing their jobs. AGAIN, goaltending is not a problem. Unless Markstrom can score goals 5 on 5 he's not needed at this point.

If there's one thing I do here, it's not go with the norm/conventional thinking. I had Drew Shore penciled in as our #2 center. Check the line thread.

You still haven't responded to MarkstromRules's comment.

People are split on this issue. Fact remains, you created a thread calling for Clemmer's demotion after he gave up two goals in regulation. This isn't the time. Simple as that. That's not how you manage personnel.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:51 PM
  #70
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther
 
CanadianPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,482
vCash: 50
Looks like flapanthersfan and RainingRats are in a good old fashioned.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV6NrimEbik


Can anyone tell me how to upload the actual video to the post and not just the link?

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:59 PM
  #71
pantherbot
Registered User
 
pantherbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
emotional responses are provoked by patronizing comments like this one.

i've played goalie my entire life, at extremely competitive levels and have received proper training/coaching. i've forgotten more about the position that you could ever hope to learn.



as i stated before - statistics can be deceiving, especially with the goaltending position.

i dont have time right now to go into details (i have to play a game at 9pm...AS A GOALIE ), but if you think Clemmer is a "good goalie" you're insane.



all you seem to do is spew the same 'ol garbage management/media says.

yes, if you stereotype, what you said may be true. but every player is different. these are individuals, they develop at different rates. markstrom has had THREE SEASONS and over 100 games to adapt to north america. that's plenty, especially for a guy of his supposed skillset. no one can disagree.



i'm the one not making good arguments - yet all you do is spew conventional thinking and act as if it's the truth because it's popular opinion.

if you think this team isn't a better team with a markstrom-theodore tandem instead of a clemmensen-theodore tandem...(like you said) you don't even deserve to respond to any of this because you have no credibility on the subject.
I agree with every single thing you say. As opposed to just spewing out stats with no context, your points are all very valid arguments.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. Clemm was signed to a two-year deal while the team knew his shortcomings. I want Markstrom up and Clemm out, but unless it's an injury situation, I doubt Markstrom will be brought up this year which is very unfortunate.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
  #72
PBPantherfan
Here we go again
 
PBPantherfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lake Worth, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
Looks like flapanthersfan and RainingRats are in a good old fashioned.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV6NrimEbik


Can anyone tell me how to upload the actual video to the post and not just the link?
Click on the youtube box then put everything after the =(TV6NrimEbik) in the youtube link between the YT's


PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:16 PM
  #73
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther
 
CanadianPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,482
vCash: 50
Thank you PBPantherfan

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:22 PM
  #74
Dr Beinfest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
he's 0-2 now with a save % of .garbage%.
A .garbage%? That's like... a 0.00garbage!

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:26 PM
  #75
CanadianPantherFan
Registered User
 
CanadianPantherFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,451
vCash: 500
I'm not desperate for Markie... or I would have been calling for him a year ago without giving much credit to an "aging" Theodore. I never did that once to my knowledge.

This year is different (it's a sprint, not a marathon where we can't play "wait and see"). The team has now won a division title, young players like Shore and Huberdeau (with less experience than Markstrom) are making major impacts with the current Panthers, and not to mention lesser talented goalies in Dubynk and Fasth are making a mark as starters with their current NHL clubs. Give me a break..time to gain points with Markstrom NOWWWWW.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.