HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVIII All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 11:48 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Buying out Ovechkin... are you nuts that would cost the caps 88M$, effectively putting the team on bankruptcy.
Not to mention that buying someone out and signing them to a cheaper contract is not even allowed in the cba.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
02-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Awesome homer call from Chicago tonight. Kane scores an empty-netter to make it 5-3 with 1:12 left in the game. Chicago colour commentary guy: "Hawks win!"

lol. Yeah, probably, but hold your horses, dude. It wasn't overtime.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
They are playing awful, I really don't care how "great" you think they will be. Rushing players into a position where they are forced to carry the team is a great way to ruin a prospect. Ask Niderrieder how awesome being rushed into the NHL is.
Yzerman did it so have several others... All those guys are 18, 19 year old players. What they learn now is going to help them down the road. They'll be fine.

What the club really needs is some defensemen... that would help them more than any mentor would.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:10 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yzerman did it so have several others... All those guys are 18, 19 year old players. What they learn now is going to help them down the road. They'll be fine.

What the club really needs is some defensemen... that would help them more than any mentor would.
So your answer is "it worked before so it will always work". Ya Paajarvi is working out great along with countless others. Rushing prospects is always on the minds of GM's so don't pull that nonsense. How about a stroll down Columbus's graveyard of draft picks?

It is a stupid and risky move for very little reward but that is why Edmonton is not known as having been well managed, stupid moves.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:32 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Another loss for Caps. How long before Oates loses his job?
It's interesting, people were optimistic about Oates before the season started.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:43 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I'm sure when they had the compliance buyouts last time, they weren't allowed to acquire the player for 12 months after the buyout. Yashin came back to the same team, didn't he?

I doubt Ovechkin would get a buyout but they might let him retire and play in the KHL.

Watched Kulikov's game tonight and he played really well, a joy to watch.

The rule is only a year in this CBA dunno about last one. So you could in theory do the Russia thing but I doubt Ovechkin goes to Russia if he gets bought out he obviously signs with another team to get his game going. But I also doubt he gets bought out... That would cost the same amount as Phoenix

Old
02-06-2013, 06:51 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It's interesting, people were optimistic about Oates before the season started.
i've read many devils fans saying they were not convinced he was ready (or be good) for the job

as much as i'd like to blame poor adam, that roster is ****ed....

Old
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
So your answer is "it worked before so it will always work".
Past performance is the best predicter of future success. The youngsters played well last year and I don't see them all of a sudden becoming useless. Sure there will be bumps along the way... look at Carey Price... but that doesn't mean they won't be better for it down the road.

You're talking about 18 and 19 year old kids man. Most players aren't even in the league at this age.
Quote:
Ya Paajarvi is working out great along with countless others. Rushing prospects is always on the minds of GM's so don't pull that nonsense. How about a stroll down Columbus's graveyard of draft picks?
So Paajarvi sucks then? If ALL the players don't pan out they're a bunch of failures? And that guy is 21 years old. Do we totally write him off as a bust because he hasn't been great from day one?
Quote:
It is a stupid and risky move for very little reward but that is why Edmonton is not known as having been well managed, stupid moves.
Crosby came into a horrible environment and did well. So did Yzerman, Sakic etc... Most high picks get drafted by crap teams man and they do fine.

The Oilers aren't contenders and might not make the playoffs this year? Sure. That doesn't mean that we should write off those players. There's no doubt that Edmonton needs to get some blueliners and goaltending. There's no doubt that team needs to learn how to play D. But they're starting with a stable of talent and that's always a good way to begin building your team.

Just relax, it's 8 games in for Pete's sake.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I bet when Oates gets fired tsn has a headline of "Fried Oates"

Anyone know when Boston and Buffalo play ?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:34 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Past performance is the best predicter of future success. The youngsters played well last year and I don't see them all of a sudden becoming useless. Sure there will be bumps along the way... look at Carey Price... but that doesn't mean they won't be better for it down the road.

You're talking about 18 and 19 year old kids man. Most players aren't even in the league at this age.
No ****, there is a REASON why they aren't in the league at that age. Throwing a talented teenager into a mans game in a main role is asking for injury and developmental problems. Gagner and Latendresse off the top of my head both suffered.

I didn't say they would become useless but this could easily stunt their development. Thanks for bringing up Price, another player rushed into a position he couldn't handle when he was handed the reigns right before the playoffs and he hasn't looked good in the playoffs since.

Quote:
So Paajarvi sucks then? If ALL the players don't pan out they're a bunch of failures? And that guy is 21 years old. Do we totally write him off as a bust because he hasn't been great from day one?
Paajarvi is having very real problems yes, he was poorly developed and it is showing. But hey it worked for Crosby right?

Quote:
Crosby came into a horrible environment and did well. So did Yzerman, Sakic etc... Most high picks get drafted by crap teams man and they do fine.

The Oilers aren't contenders and might not make the playoffs this year? Sure. That doesn't mean that we should write off those players. There's no doubt that Edmonton needs to get some blueliners and goaltending. There's no doubt that team needs to learn how to play D. But they're starting with a stable of talent and that's always a good way to begin building your team.

Just relax, it's 8 games in for Pete's sake.
Every prospect is Crosby I guess. Dumping players into leading roles without veteran support is stupid, they develop bad habits and stunt their growth. It isn't "8 games" it has been several seasons of these players getting tossed into the fire and having to grind it out for dead last place with guys like Horcoff and Whitney.

You are on Edmontons side and I prefer Detroits model, which one has had more success?

Old
02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
No ****, there is a REASON why they aren't in the league at that age. Throwing a talented teenager into a mans game in a main role is asking for injury and developmental problems. Gagner and Latendresse off the top of my head both suffered.
Latendresse could've eaten a few less big macs.

Some players are ready and some aren't. RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yak... all those guys have shown they were ready. There will be ups and downs man but those guys are good NHL players already.

Yzerman's development wasn't hurt, neither were Sakic's or Lemieux's or Crosby's or most other top stars who started out young with bad teams. And unlike RNH, Hall, Eberle, Schultz and Yak... Yzerman had NOBODY to play with.

And Yzerman's development wasn't linear either btw. There were ups and downs but at the end of the day he became of the best players ever. The Oiler kids are in way better shape than Sakic or Lemieux or Yzerman were. They actually have each other to play with.
Quote:
I didn't say they would become useless but this could easily stunt their development. Thanks for bringing up Price, another player rushed into a position he couldn't handle when he was handed the reigns right before the playoffs and he hasn't looked good in the playoffs since.
?

So if Price doesn't perform well in the playoffs its because we played him too young? Uh yeah okay... I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that he has some half-assed excuse baked in for him this year if he slumps.
Quote:
Paajarvi is having very real problems yes, he was poorly developed and it is showing. But hey it worked for Crosby right?
Maybe Paajarvi wasn't ready. Maybe he's a bust. But those other players played extremely well last season and there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing them.
Quote:
Every prospect is Crosby I guess. Dumping players into leading roles without veteran support is stupid, they develop bad habits and stunt their growth. It isn't "8 games" it has been several seasons of these players getting tossed into the fire and having to grind it out for dead last place with guys like Horcoff and Whitney.
Its not just Crosby though. Again, most top players come into crappy environments... and still succeed. If a player isn't doing well, then you re-evaluate. But I don't see how that's the case here. Yakupov already has 5 or 6 goals. Hall and Eberle look great and so does Schultz. RNH is a little snakebit but even he has 5 or 6 points.

So what's the problem man? The whole thing is a disaster because Paajarvi didn't work out at the age of 21?
Quote:
You are on Edmontons side and I prefer Detroits model, which one has had more success?
They had the same model. 4 straight years of top ten picks (two top five and a number one) and 6 top tens (three top five) in the span of 8 years.

But yeah, let's pretend like Detroit just woke up one day and decided to be great. Let's ignore the fact that they used to be the Dead Things...

And twenty years from now, you can pretend like the Oilers never tanked too. And you can tell people... let's just be like Edmonton.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Awesome homer call from Chicago tonight. Kane scores an empty-netter to make it 5-3 with 1:12 left in the game. Chicago colour commentary guy: "Hawks win!"

lol. Yeah, probably, but hold your horses, dude. It wasn't overtime.
Patrick Kane has come back big time this year. I was wondering what happened with that dude.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:32 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Patrick Kane has come back big time this year. I was wondering what happened with that dude.
Played in Europe this offseason and brought his mom along to keep him in line, he's very dedicated to rising up as an elite player again - according to Elliot Friedman anyway.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Et le But

Is he actually taking a break from getting drunk every day and ****ing average looking sorority girls?

Old
02-06-2013, 04:28 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Is he actually taking a break from getting drunk every day and ****ing average looking sorority girls?
I had to pick up the slack, it's a tough gig but someone's gotta do it.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Lokitionov for a 5th to the Devils.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Played in Europe this offseason and brought his mom along to keep him in line, he's very dedicated to rising up as an elite player again - according to Elliot Friedman anyway.
So how many cabbies did they beat up together?

Old
02-06-2013, 04:49 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
So how many cabbies did they beat up together?
Have you seen what happens to the turkish guys in Taken? Pretty much that.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:54 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Have you seen what happens to the turkish guys in Taken? Pretty much that.
Your arrogance offends me, and for that, the rate just went up 10%

Old
02-06-2013, 04:59 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Your arrogance offends me, and for that, the rate just went up 10%
Based on what they know about the way these groups operate, our analyst says you have a ninety-six hour fare from the time the cab was flagged.

We need a refund, it's time for...

Old
02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Lokitionov for a 5th to the Devils.
That's actually a good deal.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Pittsburgh traded Lovejoy for a 5th, at that price we should easily get a 3rd for Weber if he is moving.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:35 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Pittsburgh traded Lovejoy for a 5th, at that price we should easily get a 3rd for Weber if he is moving.
More like a 5th as well. Weber is not much better.

And Saku/Souray scoring again for the Ducks. Goddammit.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post

He is younger and more upside, teams are always looking for a guy that can boost the PP.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post

We might as well have just traded them for... oh forget about it.

And what's up with Edmonton having no centers?

Closed Thread