HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nsh@stl 2/5/2013

Old
02-05-2013, 10:42 PM
drwpreds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
If we had opened the season with 2 regulation wins instead of SOL's, then I think we would have a different perspective right now.

The ugly part has been goal scoring...which, until tonight, was dreadful.

I agree that a simple look at the standings and who we played/beat points to a successful road trip...but there were lots and lots of defensive breakdowns, offensive rustiness, Pekka-rustiness, and some flat out poor play.

But in the end, they don't award playoff position over style points. All will be forgiven if the Preds can right the ship at home.
I hear ya, but as you said, style points don't matter, and I still say you can look at the fact that we got these kinds of results while not playing our best as a positive, not a negative.

And while there is no doubt the offense has struggled big time, I don't think anything negative can be said about the defense on the trip- we allowed 13 goals in 7 games against some great teams. You cannot ask for any more than that......

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:19 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Doing pretty good rolling 7 D. Can't help but be pretty happy right now.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:35 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Great job Preds!! Great way to mark the end of that road trip!

At first I was like, save some for Thursday guys! Then I thought, no way just pour it on, we owe them! Plus, this is what we haven't scored the last few games!

Kind of weird that Weber didn't figure into any of the scoring. I know it will come eventually but it would be nice if it came sooner rather than later! Clune now has more points than Weber, and so does Rinne, lol!

What a great move by Wilson! Too bad he didn't actually get the puck in, but still a great move by Bourque to get to the net and finish!

Obviously we really controlled the 1st period and part of the second period. And the Blues controlled the other part of the second period. But I never felt like the Blues really put up a real threat in the 3rd period. Yes they had chances, but I didn't feel like they were anywhere near the quality of the ones that were in the 2nd period.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:10 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by april View Post
A shirtless Colin Wilson during Clune's interview...
lol willy.

......also hello rich clune.

If you noticed after that whenever there was in interview they turned the player/coach around so there was nothing but a door behind them instead of a chance of any players walking around behind them.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:20 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Damn, sorry I missed this game but I have a good excuse: Took my wife to a Dali art exhibit that is almost finished. Was checking the score while looking at some amazing art though, so happy about the big win.

BTW: Congrats to Clune on his first NHL Goal! I just realized he once played for my hometown hockey team (Idaho Steelheads)

Last edited by golfmade: 02-06-2013 at 07:09 AM.
golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
whats the bet
We have NHL13 "playoff series" for a mini Stanley Cup. If Wilson scores 24 points or less, I have to be Columbus next time. If he scores 25 or more, Hustlechuck has to.

More of a pride thing than a real bet.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:32 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Awesome game. The sleeping bear (or sabretooth?) awoken?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:13 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
I keep hearing people say it was an ugly road trip, but was it really??
There were 2 absolutely awful losses for sure, but otherwise, we won at Minnesota, LA, SJ, STL and got a point at Anaheim, one of the hottest teams in league. Heck, we even wound up with a +1 goal differential on the trip.

If that's ugly, I'll take ugly like that all year
Two of our four wins came in the shootout .... not exactly a way you can count on winning regularly ... see our three SO losses for supporting evidence of that point. Only 2 of 22 on the PP during the road trip. Shorthanded 31 times in the seven games, allowing 5 goals while on the PK. Shutout twice, made two backups who barely see NHL action look like the second comings of Roy in his prime. We are last in 2nd period goals scored, next to last in 3rd period goals (1 more than the group tied at 4).

Even last night's game highlighted several issues ... we started taking penalties repeatedly in a short stretch, couldn't clear the puck, only one center was performing well at the dot, passes to nobody, on our heels for over 20 minutes, fishing around with their stick rather than playing the body, losing battles along the boards, etc. Luckily Pekka was in a zone last night and managed to stonewall Tarasenko on several quality scoring chances.

Things are never as bad as the negativity threat portrays, nor are they ever as good as a GDT portrays after a big win. That 4-2-1 road trip was in spite of several glaring issues that showed themselves for a minimum of 25 minutes per game. There were those wonderful stretches like the first period of last night where it looked like the team had it all together and was ready to dominate the rest of the NHL .... coupled with stretches where the team looked like a bottom dwelling ECHL club. The team is currently in a good spot n the standings with glimpses of what they can do, but they are not playing consistently good hockey that indicates they are a lock for a decent finish on the year.

Very ugly so far ... but lucky enough to stay competitive if they truly get things straightened out.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:23 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
as important as the goal scoring was, what I think is even more important in the long run is Rinne seems to have found his mojo after an uneven start to the season...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Man I love the internet after the Preds win a big game.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I railroaded Blum last season, and deservedly so.

This season...different story, and I can give him his due. There's no reason, when it goes back to six D, that he shouldn't be in and Gill should be out.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:24 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Two of our four wins came in the shootout .... not exactly a way you can count on winning regularly ... see our three SO losses for supporting evidence of that point. Only 2 of 22 on the PP during the road trip. Shorthanded 31 times in the seven games, allowing 5 goals while on the PK. Shutout twice, made two backups who barely see NHL action look like the second comings of Roy in his prime. We are last in 2nd period goals scored, next to last in 3rd period goals (1 more than the group tied at 4).

Even last night's game highlighted several issues ... we started taking penalties repeatedly in a short stretch, couldn't clear the puck, only one center was performing well at the dot, passes to nobody, on our heels for over 20 minutes, fishing around with their stick rather than playing the body, losing battles along the boards, etc. Luckily Pekka was in a zone last night and managed to stonewall Tarasenko on several quality scoring chances.

Things are never as bad as the negativity threat portrays, nor are they ever as good as a GDT portrays after a big win. That 4-2-1 road trip was in spite of several glaring issues that showed themselves for a minimum of 25 minutes per game. There were those wonderful stretches like the first period of last night where it looked like the team had it all together and was ready to dominate the rest of the NHL .... coupled with stretches where the team looked like a bottom dwelling ECHL club. The team is currently in a good spot n the standings with glimpses of what they can do, but they are not playing consistently good hockey that indicates they are a lock for a decent finish on the year.

Very ugly so far ... but lucky enough to stay competitive if they truly get things straightened out.
I respect your opinions, but man, I would hate to see your criticisms if we were 0-9-0.

Lucky enough to stay competitive if they get things straightened out? Looks to me like we are more than competitive even without having things straightened out.

Yes, we had 2 awful, horrible losses. But other than that we got 11 points against the toughest schedule in the NHL- TWO regulation losses in 9 games.

We've got offensive issues- no doubt about it, but other than that, there is no way in the world I would call this start ugly. Look at who we have beaten- Minnesota, LA, San Jose, St Louis- not exactly chopped liver. And we had a +9 goal differential against those 4. Yes, we had to go to SO to win a couple, but so what? Just means we went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the league in their building.

We may have the best defensive team and goaltender in the entire league. We gave up 13 goals on the 7 game trip to some of the best offensive teams in the league- 5 of our 9 games have come against top 8 offenses in the NHL.

Finally, I cannot believe people are trying to find negatives in last night's win. We just completely obliterated a St Louis team that has been the best home team in the NHL the past 2 seasons- (6 regulation losses in 45 games). We won 6-1! Yes, we got a little sloppy after we built the big lead, but that happens to almost every team that builds a big lead- we were ahead 5-0 with 10 minutes left in the second period for crying out loud. Almost everyone on here yesterday was just hoping we wouldn't get embarrassed- no negative in last night for me.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:41 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I railroaded Blum last season, and deservedly so.

This season...different story, and I can give him his due. There's no reason, when it goes back to six D, that he shouldn't be in and Gill should be out.
That's good to hear about the former VAN Giant, Blum. Here are last nights numbers for the blueline:

NO. PLAYER POS G A P +/- PIM S HITS BKS GVA TKA FO% TOI
6 S. WEBER D 0 0 0 2 2 1 1 2 0 0 - 23:11
22 S. HANNAN D 0 0 0 2 0 1 1 1 0 0 - 20:24
8 K. KLEIN D 1 0 1 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 - 19:29
59 R. JOSI D 0 1 1 1 4 1 0 1 0 0 - 17:35
75 H. GILL D 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 - 13:38
4 R. ELLIS D 1 1 2 1 0 1 0 4 0 0 - 13:18
7 J. BLUM D 0 2 2 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 - 12:51

02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I respect your opinions, but man, I would hate to see your criticisms if we were 0-9-0.

Lucky enough to stay competitive if they get things straightened out? Looks to me like we are more than competitive even without having things straightened out.

Yes, we had 2 awful, horrible losses. But other than that we got 11 points against the toughest schedule in the NHL- TWO regulation losses in 9 games.

We've got offensive issues- no doubt about it, but other than that, there is no way in the world I would call this start ugly. Look at who we have beaten- Minnesota, LA, San Jose, St Louis- not exactly chopped liver. And we had a +9 goal differential against those 4. Yes, we had to go to SO to win a couple, but so what? Just means we went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the league in their building.

We may have the best defensive team and goaltender in the entire league. We gave up 13 goals on the 7 game trip to some of the best offensive teams in the league- 5 of our 9 games have come against top 8 offenses in the NHL.

Finally, I cannot believe people are trying to find negatives in last night's win. We just completely obliterated a St Louis team that has been the best home team in the NHL the past 2 seasons- (6 regulation losses in 45 games). We won 6-1! Yes, we got a little sloppy after we built the big lead, but that happens to almost every team that builds a big lead- we were ahead 5-0 with 10 minutes left in the second period for crying out loud. Almost everyone on here yesterday was just hoping we wouldn't get embarrassed- no negative in last night for me.
The negatives in last night's win were quite obvious from about the midway point in the second period through most of the third .... there was no trying to find them, they leaped off the screen. Four penalties in a ten minute span is not a positive. Being unable to clear the zone during those kills is not a positive. Fisher, Spaling, and Legwand sucking at the dot was not a positive. That the team won in regulation does not negate the fact that it made numerous mistakes and did across the entire road trip. Luckily, Elliot sucked last night and Pekka was on his game.

The team played an outstanding first period. It played a good first ten minutes of the second followed by an abysmal last ten minutes of that period that carried on through a significant portion of the third. When we lose games, there are still positives in most of them to build upon no matter how outrageous some of the threads here get. When we win, there are usually the exact same errors balanced either by luck or our goalie standing on his head while the opposition is off. Both of our regulation wins featured a goalie having an off night ... we've yet to beat a goalie having a decent night in regulation or OT.

How many nights do you think we can count on 4 goals from 11 shots across 30 minutes of play?

Old
02-06-2013, 01:04 PM
PredsChik

I'll be back tomorrow around lunch time with the next GDT.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:22 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
I'll be back tomorrow around lunch time with the next GDT.
Keep 'em comin!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:53 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
The negatives in last night's win were quite obvious from about the midway point in the second period through most of the third .... there was no trying to find them, they leaped off the screen. Four penalties in a ten minute span is not a positive. Being unable to clear the zone during those kills is not a positive. Fisher, Spaling, and Legwand sucking at the dot was not a positive. That the team won in regulation does not negate the fact that it made numerous mistakes and did across the entire road trip. Luckily, Elliot sucked last night and Pekka was on his game.

The team played an outstanding first period. It played a good first ten minutes of the second followed by an abysmal last ten minutes of that period that carried on through a significant portion of the third. When we lose games, there are still positives in most of them to build upon no matter how outrageous some of the threads here get. When we win, there are usually the exact same errors balanced either by luck or our goalie standing on his head while the opposition is off. Both of our regulation wins featured a goalie having an off night ... we've yet to beat a goalie having a decent night in regulation or OT.

How many nights do you think we can count on 4 goals from 11 shots across 30 minutes of play?
Wow- I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. If I didn't know the result, I would swear you were describing a loss.

If you can spend that much effort finding fault in a 6-1 win on the road against what many feel is the best team in the NHL, then I don't know how you can possibly enjoy the season. We may not have a better win all season.

I'm also an Alabama football fan- it would be like me criticizing and getting worked up over Bama giving up 14 in the 2nd half to Notre Dame in the championship game. They were up 35-0 and got sloppy- it happens in every sport.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Wow- I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. If I didn't know the result, I would swear you were describing a loss.

If you can spend that much effort finding fault in a 6-1 win on the road against what many feel is the best team in the NHL, then I don't know how you can possibly enjoy the season. We may not have a better win all season.

I'm also an Alabama football fan- it would be like me criticizing and getting worked up over Bama giving up 14 in the 2nd half to Notre Dame in the championship game. They were up 35-0 and got sloppy- it happens in every sport.
This team is playing 20-25 minutes of good hockey per night so far ... win, lose, or shootout. There were stretches of good play in the first game at St Louis and at Phoenix although they lost both. Last night they upped that to around 30 of very good play, then fell off by making the exact errors that plagued the team in its first eight games. We still haven't seen a complete game played well from the Preds. This team has a history of out working the opposition, and we're only seeing that in spurts this season. They played a dominant half of hockey last night, not a full strong game.

After that 5th goal, the players did exactly what the coaches warned them against ... they stopped playing the hockey that got them the lead. They started giving the Blues quality chances through sloppy play. They became undisciplined. They got out worked. If they step onto the ice tomorrow night with the same level of play we saw for most of the last 30 minutes of the game, 501 Broadway will be an unhappy place. It wouldn't be the first time they came out flat on home ice after a big win or long road trip.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Drake744
@imdrakesmith

vCash: 325
Am I the only one that thinks Clune looks like he's always wasted or high?

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:41 PM
wadesworld

Quote:

The team played an outstanding first period. It played a good first ten minutes of the second followed by an abysmal last ten minutes of that period that carried on through a significant portion of the third.
True, but keep in mind that if you went to 90% of the coaches in the league, they'd express their frustration about how their team cannot ever put together a full 60 minutes. How they look great one period, and horrific the next.

We're not alone in that. Other teams just have the advantage of more offensive firepower for those stretches where they do get rolling. Fortunately, we often have the defense to mitigate that.

Honestly, I think our problem at the beginning of the year was we were confused about our identity. We thought we were the defense-first Predators. We sat back on our heels and clogged the front of the net. Offensively we had fond memories of some pretty passing plays from last year and thought that was how we play offense.

Finally, we realized that we don't play offense that way, and we're going to have throw pucks on goal and get some greasy rebounds. We started taking more chances and playing tighter D, both of which helped open up space in front of Rinne, who is at his best without a crowd in front.

I'm not saying we're a great team or an offensive powerhouse. Our normal issues are still there and much of your criticism is spot on. However, I am comforted that we seem to have remembered what this team has to do to win hockey games.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:58 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Wow- I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. If I didn't know result, I would swear you were describing a loss.

I agree with 101. the negatives were very apparent. luckily, elliot laid a turd. faceoffs were embarrassing. fisher and legwand suck. obviously I could point out more positive but that was a treat to have such a high shooting percentage from the likes of clune, bourque, spaling, ellis, and klein.

and roll tide roll.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:17 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

The main negative was stl was on the power play for a lot of time which explains them dominating for a good bit. Either way moral victories don't mean **** and the Preds pasted them 6-1. Deal with it.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:19 AM
Drake744
@imdrakesmith

vCash: 325
Remember that one time we won at St. Louis 6-1 and thought we sucked?

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:00 AM
predfan98

Quote:

It just amazes me how many people don't see the balance in this. Maybe people just are bored.
We played good hockey for a period, Elliott was horrid, and St Louis was flat.

We won... We're glad we won... but it's not as good as a 6-1 victory might indicate . Hopefully we can put together a solid 60 minutes of Predator hockey tonight.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
It just amazes me how many people don't see the balance in this. Maybe people just are bored.
We played good hockey for a period, Elliott was horrid, and St Louis was flat.

We won... We're glad we won... but it's not as good as a 6-1 victory might indicate . Hopefully we can put together a solid 60 minutes of Predator hockey tonight.
When the team performs similarly to the Blues game, but loses, we'll see the rants again. Focus is currently on the outcome with no attention paid to how we performed in reaching that result.